Pet urn?

share_oh

My little toy poodle, my shadow, my 8 lb guard dog, Lola, passed away last week. She was 15 and had a wonderful life. I miss her more than I can say.

We had her cremated and her ashes came back this week in the tin I had asked for... but it's not small enough. The tin is probably for dogs 30 lbs & under - we had another 30 lb dog whose ashes are in the same size. I didn't realize this when I picked it - I just wanted the same as all the others (we now have 5 tins).

I feel like I want her urn or tin to be the smallest so I know at a glance it's hers and it just seems right that a tiny dog should have a tinier tin. That might sound silly but she was my special pal. No one guards the bathroom door now or checks to see if I'm still in the shower every few minutes or waits by the door 15 minutes before I'm due home.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with buying a dog urn or tin online and where you got it from. I haven't had the heart to search yet.

SaveComment20Like2
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DawnInCal

I'm sorry for the loss of your little Lola. Our dogs used to know about 15 minutes before I was due home too.

I haven't had experience with buying urns online, but I wanted to give you this Etsy link. There are a lot of really nice pet urns there and it might give you a place to start (when you are ready).

Pet Urns

If you are wanting to match your other urns, it may not be helpful, but if you don't care about that it might give you some ideas.

Save     Thanked by share_oh
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Perhaps the Vet's office can help you? (((share_oh)))

Jasdip

I'm so sorry for your loss of Lola.

When we said goodbye to Smudge our vet had us look through a catalogue of urns and paw prints. A 3rd-party does them.

Michele

I can’t help with your search but I just want to say I’m sorry for your loss.

share_oh

We had to rush her to the vet in the end to stop her suffering. She went downhill extremely fast. The vet tech came out to the car and was asking questions - there were several urn options but I wanted one to match the others. They're cute, white tins with black paw prints all over them. At that point I didn't really want to discuss anything!

Now I think it doesn't have to match, I just want it to be small like her. I did look inside and there's just a tiny cloth bag in there. When you lift the tin it's extremely light. I find it odd the pet crematory didn't have a smaller tin for smaller dogs.

Thanks for the link Dawn. I will definitely check it out soon.

Save    
arcy_gw

No but my DH is a wood turner and has made/sold many. They are a popular item. I think you tiny tin idea is sweet but there is a formula for weight of the deceased and amount of space needed for the ashes. You might be surprised how much room you will need?

Marilyn_Sue

I am sorry you lost your Lola. My son and wife lost their dog this week. They had him cremated too. I have a pet cemetery out back. Lots of pets in it for 40 years. I am no help with an urn. Just a hug.

Sue

nickel_kg

I am sorry for your loss. "Lola" was the name of an extra-special dog to me, too.

What about adding a tiny ribbon or flower or something meaningful to her urn? Or a bow to each urn, with a tiny bow on Lola's?

Wishing you comfort.

1 Like Save     Thanked by share_oh
Uptown Gal

I am sorry. I have a little Oak box with a name plate on top for my sweet

Casey Cat. It is smaller than most dog urns, etc., I think. My Vet had a really

nice assortment...might check with them.

amylou321

I bought Sammy's urn off of Amazon. It has a place for his picture on the front, and it reads "If Love Could Have Saved You, You would have lived forever." Truer words were never spoken.....

3 Likes Save     Thanked by share_oh
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I'm so sorry for the loss of your girl.

I had the opposite problem when Murray passed away. I ordered a beautiful green marble urn for him but it was too small when it arrived. I sent it back and ended up getting a beautiful ginger jar from Home Goods and it was big enough to put his ashes and all the condolence cards I got. I put his dog tag on a ribbon and put it around the top of the jar.

When Fred passed away, the vet had him put in a beautiful wood carved box. My friend crocheted a beautiful doily to put it on on a shelf in my room.

wanda_va

I am sorry for your loss. When we lost our Bandit (Yorkie), the crematorium put him in a cherry wood box, with a plate with his name and birth and death dates. It sits on our mantel, with a picture of him (on the back of the picture, there is a lock of his hair). When I go, he will go with me.

chloebud

"No one guards the bathroom door now or checks to see if I'm still in the shower every few minutes or waits by the door 15 minutes before I'm due home."

That just brought tears to my eyes since I can truly relate. I hope it helps just a little to know we know how you feel. We lost our Chloe cat the day after Christmas last year. In our case, the ashes came back in a lovely little cedar chest with a brass name plate on top and a brass lock and key. It was just what the pet crematory provided, so I never thought about choosing something else. However, we had also had it done for our dog, so we knew about the cedar chests and were so pleased. The crematory also provides you with their paw print in clay with a little easel/stand to set it on.

We still have Chloe's litter cabinet in our laundry room. Just can't part with it, and, who knows, maybe another kitty some day.

I see you've been through this before, so you know it does get better. They're always in your heart and never leave you completely.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by share_oh
chipotle

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. They take a huge piece of our hearts when they leave us.

I use locked wooden boxes for the ashes of our departed cats. Bought a couple locally at an art shop and found the last two online through Polish Art Center. I see Etsy also has a selection.

https://www.polartcenter.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=boxes+that+lock&searchButton.x=0&searchButton.y=0

https://www.etsy.com/market/lockable_wooden_box

nicole___

I'm so sorry for your loss. Just heartbreaking to let them go....

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I am so sorry for your loss. I have a tiny dog too she is 6 1/2 lbs. We have always buried ours on our property. So never had an urn but I have seen some beautiful wood containers. Do you know anyone who does woodworking? Some beautiful purple heart wood would make a gorgeous one.

jemdandy

Was it the crematorium who put you pet's ashes in the container? If so, can you call them to ask if they have smaller containers?

caflowerluver

So very sorry for your loss of Lola. If I was looking for an urn I would check local home decorating stores so would get correct size. We live on 2.5 acres so our last 3 dogs are buried here in a special spot. I go down and visit them often.

We remember lots of little things every day of our last dog Elvira. It has been a little over a year and we miss her so much. She was the best dog ever.

PRO
Anglophilia

So sorry you lost your sweet dog. Very, very hard...

I would look online if you're to happy with your choice.

I have asked my children to buy my own ashes with all those of various beloved pets, that are sitting on a top shelf in the guest room closet. Other pets were buried in the back garden but we ran out of room a long time ago. We need to all go together some day.

share_oh

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I know everyone can relate - that's why this is such a good group - animal lovers are the best people!

I still haven't brought myself to look for anything yet. But I will be checking out the links that were provided above when I do.

Anglophilia those are my wishes as well!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining Modern Manners for Conflict-Free Family Visits
Avoid thermostat wars, pet peeves and the great shower squeeze with these tips for having family as houseguests
Full Story
Homes Around the World Houzz Tour: Redo Brings a 1720s London Home Into the Present
Skillful renovation and an eclectic mix of art, antiques and furnishings update an 18th-century townhouse
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Handmade Coziness in a Potter’s New England Home and Studio
Thoughtful details, a wealth of color and inviting farmhouse style rule in this family’s renovated house
Full Story