SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Did you sing to your baby(ies)?

rob333 (zone 7b)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have always read and sung to my [not so] little one! Still sing, even though he's all grown. I'd change all the songs to fit him, "I guess you say, what can make me feel this way, ED-ward, ED-ward, ED-ward, talkin' bout ED-ward...". What I remember most is the lullabies. I sang loads of things. The one I must've sung the most was Amazing Grace. Don't know why or how that one started? We were at my grandmother's nursing home when they started playing it, we were all singing it, and little one put his hand over my mouth. I realized he thought I was trying to get him to go to bed. Still makes me laugh :)

What did you sing to them, if you did?

Comments (36)

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I sang nursery rhymes to my kids a lot, poor things. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. And when I couldn't remember the words I would simply make them up, So, yep, I lied to my kids as well. siiiigh

• Related Discussions

lisa11310 did your babies fledge??!!

Q

Comments (2)
    WHA HOO! that's so awesome Lisa! congradualations on a successful nesting! Glad hubby didn't have to suffer either! Which ever day actually was his birthday! I'm waiting to see if my girl will take to the wren guard. It's the training one without sides.. I've seen her over there but havn't seen her in the box, but the guard hides that. The male was there at the hole, so that's good. I'll check later today for another egg, keep fingers crossed!
    ...See More

Lee, you got me singing!

Q

Comments (32)
    Terrific job Lee!! I especially love the apron. When I was young I loved looking for the Ninas. Okay, anytime i get my hands on a Hirshfeld I still do love it. Enjoy Jessy, if you don't post much for a while we know you are Nina hunting. -Robin
    ...See More

What did you go to get rid of your tummy after baby? (more)

Q

Comments (8)
    i had a c-section 11 weeks ago (to the day!) and i think i still have about 10 pounds to go to my prepreg weight. my stomach was awesome before! not bragging, but a had a tight tummy with a line down the middle! i still have a line, but it's the one from being pregnant! i had a low low down bikini cut, way below any bikini i would ever wear! i started doing sit-ups and yoga again a couple of weeks ago and i just hope in time my tummy will look good again! it doesn't look all that different anymore, just fatter. my advice, drink lots of water, eat healthy, and work out! that's all i think can be done ( : -jami
    ...See More

When did your baby's eyes change color?

Q

Comments (11)
    My husband is Thai (Asian) and I am white, so when our daughter was born with deep blue eyes and Obvious Asian features, I hoped my daughters eyes wouldn't change! Although I knew it would happen, thankfully she was about 1 1/2 - 2 years old when her eyes changed. She is almost 4 and her eyes are now a blueish/greenish/brown, so they are probably still in the middle of changing, probably to brown. A side note: When our was born, because I am so pale and Obviously white and my daughter is so dark and Obviously Asian, people thought she was adopted :) And they wanted to know where we adopted her from, because of her Asian features and pretty blue eyes - LOL :) ~ Homemade
    ...See More
  • Michele
    4 years ago

The kids know that if I forget words I fill in with la la la, or blah blah blah. Then they ask me to look up the words on my phone!! So smart!

• bpath
    4 years ago

When DS was tiny, I’d sing Hush Little Baby in the rocking chair because you can keep adding verses forever, yes changing words to fit him. Also sang You Are My Sunshine (changed the words a bit). Take Me Out to the Ball Game (he could sing 1-2-3 like a champ!)

When he was 2 we started a song called “the song of what we did today”. It was a way to recap the day, but it also called out good behavior (“DS helped set the table, that was really nice and fun”) and ”DS woke up in the morning, snuggled in his own little bed...he had slept there all night long, it was really great”

He went on to do musicals In school so I guess I didn’t hurt his ears too much.

DS2 did not like being sung to! He‘s quite musical, though.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

I sing to my baby (Georgy Girl) every morning. It's a two stanza song, and if I don't sing the second stanza she walks in front of me and keeps stopping until I finish. LOL

I use to sing to the kids when they were younger, songs like Oh let the sunshine in, face it with a grin, etc. One day when my first born was two or three, she was singing the song and my MIL, whom I loved dearly, said, I know where she learned the words, but wherever did she learn the tune. Now what does that tell you. :-))))

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I always sang to my children. Usually old Irish or Scottish lullabies. Sometimes whatever song popped into my head sung slowly and soothingly. If I did not sing they would put their fingers on my bottom lip and try to move it up and down to get the music started. Sweet babies.

• norar_il
    4 years ago

I used to sing a "go to sleepy song" for my grands which worked when they were tiny, but they got old enough to ask me not to! My croaky singing voice is a pretty poor second to their mom's beautiful one, so I understand.

BTW, the wheels on the bus is great for a very hard to put to sleep baby -- you can keep inventing people who are on the bus and what they say.

• lgmd_gaz
    4 years ago

Yes, I sang to my babies, and as they grew, there was all sorts of little ditties that I got from my Mom as I grew up. Most involved nursery rhyme lines, but some were made up to fit a situation, but always in a sing/song rhythm. Mom and Dad both sang around the house a lot. I think that is what folks did before there was all the noise making gadgets that fill homes today and takes place of our attention and interacting with those around us.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

My kids say I hummed to them a lot, ha, ha. I sing to Alyssa, sometimes I sing and leave it on her phone!

Sue

• sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

I can't remember what I sang to my babies, but I do remember resorting to Christmas carols such as Silent Night, Jingle Bells, O Little Town of Bethlehem, and Silver Bells. The grandsons had favorites. The eldest had to have The Wheels on the Bus, while the younger one wanted This Old Man. I also sang a nursery rhyme from our eldest's preschool days, Little Duckie Duddle.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

My 8 year old granddaughter and I sometimes will ride around the property on my golf cart and I sing to her and a lot of times it is, On The Road Again! Some songs she joins in with like Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree!

Sue

• Lars
    4 years ago

I don't sing, but when I was little, my mother would sing opera to me and accompany herself on the piano. I especially like what she sang to me from Carmen. My grandmother would sing to me in German.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I sang all of the time, and now continue with the grandkids. The Wheels on the Bus continues to be a favorite.

• Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

LOL No...didn't what to chase them off. But constantly read to them. I

would hum a lot though. Lots of neat kid's theme songs out there.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

One time a popular song came on the radio. I started singing along with it and DD (age 5-ish) looked at me in utter astonishment "Mommy, have you heard this song before?"

• pudgeder
    4 years ago

I sang to my babies. There was a song that my Great Grandmother sang to her kids grandkids & (obviously) great grands. I sang that song to my kids and still sing it to my grandkids.

I've never heard it anywhere else and probably won't. It's a "nonsense" song.

She also sang Mr. Froggie went a courtin' -- which inturn I sang/sing to my kids. My grandson still asks me to sing that.

One of my fondest memories is my Momma singing "Teddy Bear Picnic" to me.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Wheels on a Big RigPudgeder, I love Froggy Went a-Courtin’. And we had Teddy Bear Picnic on a 45 rpm record that we nearly wore out, though I always found it just a tad creepy, like my Lonely Doll books.

Those who like Wheels on a Bus, do you know Wheels on a Big Rig? My boys loved it (and I knew I was in for it when the 4yr old corrected the last verse for me...). We all liked Trout Fishing in America.

• dees_1
    4 years ago

Not so much singing as reading. I read to him all the time. Even made books on tape for him. He still remembers those tapes.

We would sometimes sing those fun kid song he learned at school but I'm not much of a singer.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These are all great! I'm so happy to hear all of these.

after looking up the big rig song bpath, it made me think of the element song. I had to hear it again. It's from my childhood, not one I sang. I may have gotten your song wrong?

• socks
    4 years ago

As a young mother, I participated in a group of mothers. At Christmas we took our favorite carols and made up our own words for singing to our kids. This is one we came up with which I loved, to the tune of "Oh Christmas Tree."

Oh sleepy one, oh sleepy one,

It's time to say good night.

It's time to close your eyes.

The day was long, the night is young,

Tomorrow will be lots of fun.

Your mother loves you dearly!

• kathyg_in_mi
    4 years ago

Rock, rock to Boston to buy a loaf of bread.

Rock, rock home again, it’s time to go to bed!

Or Little Jilly is a nice girl, is a nice girl, is a nice girl.

Over and over again!

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

I tried!! It's a family joke because I don't carry a tune but all three of mine are very musical. It's good to know I didn't ruin them!! I sang Christ centered lullabies .

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

My mother told me to lip sync in church and my eldest once informed me there was more than one note in a song (he was six), and yet I sang all the children's ditties of my childhood in my maternal languages.

Somehow, my children all sing well. They all participated in our local boys' choir for several years.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I'm 62. The songs I sang to my kids were by James Taylor, The Band, Linda Ronstadt, Peter, Paul and Mary (I changed the name of Puff's little friend to whichever child I was serenading), The Beatles, Van Morrison--too many to remember. They knew all the words to The Weight, Sweet Baby James, In My Life, and more. Once when my younger DD was in middle school, a teacher brought his guitar and proposed giving extra credit to the first student who could name the song he began to play. He was very surprised when she knew all the oldies. There was an old gospel song she loved, Gonna' Find Myself a Resting Place.

nickel_kg, the older daughter was impressed when I recognized Aerosmith on a commercial.

I've also sung to the grandsons. When the older one was two he could sing all the words to Mockingbird and Different Drum. The three year old no longer wants me to sing to him, but his favorite was Go To Sleep You Little Baby. That's OK, my 29 year old daughter still enjoys my singing. :)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

I remember the Saturday Morning radio shows of the late 1940s, and one of them (Big John and Sparky?) was always introduced with The Teddy Bear Picnic.

If you go down in the woods today, You better not go alone.

If you go down in the woods today, you'd be much safer at home.

For every bear that ever there was is bound for there for certain because today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic.

See them gaily gather 'bout; they love to play and shout; they never have any cares.

At six o'clock their mommies and daddies will take them home to bed because they're tired little teddy bears.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There may be a misconception here, I ain't that great. I can play a musical instrument. Sat first chair even. Scale of 1-10 for singing? I might be a 4 on a good day. Babies and God don't care if you can carry a tune.

Please don't think I'm judging you. I can't do it. Seriously, God sees your heart, not the notes. Kids see us that way too.

They love us regardless.

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

I sang all the time to DD when she was little. She had her own special song, the "Big Bum Baby" song, where everyone loved her :-), ("Mommy loves you...Daddy loves you...Granny loves you...kitty loves you..."etc), lots of different nursery rhyme songs, contemporary songs, you name it. She would often demand that DH sing to her, which cast him into despair because he's not a good or a confident singer. DD didn't care.

The woods would be silent if only the birds with the best voices sang.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    4 years ago

I sang 'East Side, West Side" to my son and grandchildren, because my grandmother had sung it to me and I loved it. And I sang "Love Potion #9", (remember the Coasters!), "You are my Sunshine" and other oldies.

• marilyn_c
    4 years ago

Yes, I sang to her, and even made up songs. Wrote poems for her about all the creatures that lived on our place, and made a book with pictures of all of them.

"In our pond lives a turtle named Bert.

If he bit you, I bet it would hurt!

If in the water you dangle your toes, watch the angle,

And please! Stay on alert!"

Silly, but she liked it.

• Michele
    4 years ago

This is bringing back so many fond memories. My father was always whistling tunes and he used to read Les Fables de la Fontaine with such feeling! He would act out the dialogue between the characters. He taught me how to read to children.

I try, but he was really something else.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

My grandfather did the same! ^^^^^^ Plus he read from Deux Ans de Voyages after Sunday dinner. The book was large and quite gorgeous.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Absolutely! Some were made up songs and some were old lullabies.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

No children but my mother sang to us and encouraged us to sing-to keep us occupied. We would be put to bed at night early and allowed to pass the time singing and telling stories. We sang all the time and never rode anywhere in the car without singing songs. some pretty ballads and some just long and silly. As a family we had good voices. I grew up singing and continued to sing ballads and with a couple of friends we sang at weddings. It was fun. My voice is pretty much gone but it is nice memories-because my crazy mother had us sing.

• lily316
    4 years ago

I sang to my daughter Hello Dolly substituting her name because that was the number one song the week she was born. I sang Puff the Magic Dragon to my son when he was a baby.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

You Are My Sunshine and Twinkle Twinkle little Star and I don't remember what else.

• donna_loomis
    4 years ago

I sang every song I knew to my two babies! Lullabies, hymns, Christmas carols, popular songs of the day. And I wrote lullabies just for them, too. Did the same for my grandchildren. You'd have to tape my mouth shut to keep me from singing, LOL.

You've played hard all day long my son, Aaronuu

You will sleep well while God watches o'er yo

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz