Is Bloomberg In For 2020?

catkinZ8a

Yet another (77 year old) white male for the dems to hitch their wagon to.

The more the merrier!

Michael Bloomberg preparing to jump into 2020 presidential race: Report

by Tim Pearce | November 07, 2019 05:54 PM

Former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg is preparing to jump into the 2020 Democratic primary for president.

Bloomberg, 77, a billionaire businessman, has mulled over a potential presidential bid for months, according to the New York Times. Bloomberg has publicly downplayed and, at times, outright denied that he would enter the race for 2020.

Bloomberg still has not yet made a final decision on whether to jump into the crowded Democratic primary field, but he is expected to file paperwork in at least one state, Alabama, designating him a contender in the primary. He has hired staff and sent them to Alabama to collect enough signatures to qualify for a run. The deadline to file paperwork for a presidential run in Alabama is Nov. 8.

"We now need to finish the job and ensure that Trump is defeated — but Mike is increasingly concerned that the current field of candidates is not well-positioned to do that," said Howard Wolfson, a Bloomberg adviser. "If Mike runs he would offer a new choice to Democrats built on a unique record running America's biggest city, building a business from scratch and taking on some of America’s toughest challenges as a high-impact philanthropist."
Mike believes that Donald Trump represents an unprecedented threat to our nation. In 2016, he spoke out at the Democratic Convention, warning against a Trump presidency.
— howard wolfson (@howiewolf) November 7, 2019
We now need to finish the job and ensure that Trump is defeated -- but Mike is increasingly concerned that the current field of candidates is not well positioned to do that.
Based on his record of accomplishment, leadership and his ability to bring people together to drive change, Mike would be able to take the fight to Trump and win.

If Bloomberg jumps in, he would likely rely on his vast wealth to compete with candidates that have been campaigning for months and set up large campaign operations in key states. Bloomberg would follow fellow billionaire Tom Steyer, who jumped into the race in July and burned through large amounts of his own cash to qualify for the Democratic debate stage.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/michael-bloomberg-reportedly-preparing-to-jump-into-2020-presidential-race

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

Hope so! Time to try something different: a really successful business man. With political experience to boot. Go Mike!!!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Not a given. Maybe just holding his options open.

Save    
chipotle

I like what Joe Walsh said, “Bloomberg should instead put $100 million into a Michael Bennett or Amy Klobuchar superpac.”

1 Like Save    
Carro

Looking possible!

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I like bloomberg a lot...he would've still been running NYC if it weren't for term limits. He's a moderate with pragmatism and smart as a whip with a great sense for leadership and organization. Go Mike!

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

He's also enough of a no nonsense NYer to take on trump.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

They never disappoint!

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I can hear the political ads now; Bloomberg is coming to take away your guns!

Save    
foodonastump

And your big gulps!

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

It would be so much fun to watch Bloomberg go mano a mano with Trump. And Bloomberg is the smarter one.

eta: And richer. lol.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I've always liked Bloomberg. But as I said on the other thread, I wonder if he could do well in the fly over states. I'm certain his message would resonate well on both coasts. I'd enjoy seeing him in a verbal combat with Trump onstage.

Save    
maddie260

I could see him well-paired with Amy Klobuchar or Sherrod Brown.

Save    
chase_gw

Would drive Trump bonkers.....well "bonkerer" ....he is richer, more successful and smarter......better looking too.

2 Likes Save    

And Bloomberg spoke against Trump in 2016 at the Democratic National Convention.

Paraphrasing: I'm from New York, and we know a con [Trump] when we see it.

2 Likes Save    

Trump has such bravado in his insults of his betters. From The Hill:

President Trump said Friday that he doesn't think Michael Bloomberg would perform well in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary but that he’d like to run against the billionaire businessman, mocking him as “little Michael.”

“He’s not going to do well, but I think he’s going to hurt [former Vice President Joe] Biden, actually,” Trump told reporters at the White House Friday morning when asked about the former New York City mayor’s plans to enter the 2020 race.

Trump, who noted he knew Bloomberg “fairly well,” said he “doesn’t have the magic to do well.” Trump also suggested Bloomberg had “some personal problems” that would hamper him in the race.

“Little Michael will fail. He’ll spend a lot of money. He’s got some really big issues, he’s got some personal problems and he’s got a lot of other problems,” Trump said. “He will not do very well and if he did, I would be happy. There’s nobody I’d rather run against than little Michael.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/469602-trump-mocks-bloomberg-as-little-michael-predicts-he-wont-do-well

Save    
Kathy

Trump is so predictable.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Well, Fat Donald is no oracle.

3 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Personal issues? Like paying off hookers, grabbing women because they let you, lying, cheating people out of money owed, misuse of foundation funds, divorce, bribery with federal funds, running a fraudulent university, inability to read, spell or learn, just being generally ignorant? Issues like that, donnyboy?

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Where did Bloomberg get the idea Democrats need him? They have a fine slate of candidates already in the running, right?

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

That’s a good question, ABH. Yesterday they were talking about a recent poll they says 69% of Dems are happy with the choices. And that’s the lowest percentage of any recent poll! That kind of surprised me.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
elvis

jerzeegirl(9b)

Not even a Delphi oracle!

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

He's more of an orifice.

Save    
gsciencechick(8a NC/SC border)

I agree with FOAS and adoptedbyhounds. All the current top Dem candidates poll very well against T. Don't need Bloomberg. I don't see him get broad support in the Dem primary, but OMG the news media organizations fawn all over him.

OTOH should he decide to run as an independent--which he says he will not--that could be problematic.

Save    
Chi

He would anger a LOT of people if he ran independent and Trump won again. I don't see him doing that.

1 Like Save    
gsciencechick(8a NC/SC border)

Chi, oh yeah, that's the problem! But he has a huge ego and even if he says he wouldn't, I would not put it past him.

1 Like Save    
lily316

Bernie said it best. Do we want another billionaire though Bloomberg could buy trump and spit him out and the answer is no. I like some of his ideas but again another old man. Contribute to Pete. Streyer isn't making a difference. Money doesn't buy the office except for trump. He won't run as an independent because he hates trump and wants him gone and this would give him another term.

1 Like Save    
BetsyJ

Not even a Delphi oracle!

The Oracle of Delphi's prophecies and inspirations were most likely the result of exposure to hydrocarbons or ethylene gasses

Maybe exposure to hydrocarbons explains all of Trump's "prophecies and inspirations" and the 82 tweets he sent on Saturday.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Interior Design Trends Expected to Take Hold in 2018
Get the lowdown on the colors, materials and other design decisions gaining steam now
Full Story