Can't believe how few birds are around ........

catherinet

It's a bit disconcerting not to see birds around.....even when the weather is reasonable.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Although there are a few slow days, they rebound quite nicely here.

tj

Save    
catherinet

I hope they rebound here too. I didn't see any yesterday and none yet this morning. Very strange. Maybe this sudden cold snap keeps them indoors. ;)

Save    
catherinet

The sun was out this morning, and I actually saw a golden-crowned kinglet in the pines. Maybe there's hope. :)

Save    
popmama

I saw a Goldfinch in his winter color this morning. This afternoon, I had several chickadees and sparrows bathing in the water trays that I put out for them. And of course, I have my daily visit from the Eastern blue jays. They come early shrieking for peanuts. I love to watch their antics.

2 Likes Save    
Old Forester ( Zones 8a-6a ) Ga/NC

One benefit of living in the South, I always have birds. I maintain 6 seed feeders, 2 suet feeders, use quality seed and keep them clean. All are in viewing from my "throne" on the back deck. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see cardinals, jays, bluebirds, wrens, titmice, doves, chickadees, catbirds, mockingbirds, house finches, towhees, goldfinches, white breasted and brown headed nuthatches, thrashers, downy wood peckers, various sparrows and frequently have hawks, owls, and pileated woodpeckers. I have been feeding for 30+ years so I think I'm also on the favored place to rest for quite a few migratories !

4 Likes Save    
TXSkeeter

This time of year (mid-October thru late November) is always iffy bird wise in my yard. Sometimes there are a LOT of the more common birds like sparrows and house finches and then nothing for several days. I can however, usually count on the Blue Jays to zip by the Frisbee I keep loaded with peanuts on the patio each and every day. As the leaves fall off the trees and bushes, I'll start seeing more Cardinals, Goldfinches, and so on as I add more food/seed selections.

Although I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the few residents in this neighborhood that actually keep out at least one seed feeder year round, after the massive cold front this week, you'd think I had put up a giant blinking sign telling all the local feathered visitors to stay away. I have to assume that for their own protection, most have temporarily moved into better and/or heavier cover since our typical neighborhood has adequate but minimal shrubbery and tree cover while less than a few hundred yards away, there are uncleared wooded and pasture areas.

I did notice that my summer hummingbirds seemed to have migrated south far earlier than usual this year so maybe they DO know more things about the natural world than most give them credit for.

Save    
catherinet

Still very few birds. DH heard 3 great horned owls talking to each other early in the morning the other day. I've heard that if the GHs set up shop around, other varieties of owls are less likely. When we first moved out here 37 years ago, I heard screech owls, but never since. Then barred owls seemed to be the most common for a long time. I love when several of them get going and sound like monkeys in the jungle. One time I heard a young GH owl talking to it's parent, which was pretty cool.

Mostly recently, it's just the great horned that I'm hearing.

Also yesterday and today I saw a brown creeper going round and round a tree by the house. They are pretty cute.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Stairways Oh Say, Can You Believe These $200 Star-Spangled Stairs?
Once sporting a mucky 1970s look, this staircase can now proudly be hailed for its beach cottage charm
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: What Can I Do About My Neighbors’ Trash Cans?
If you’re tired of staring at unsightly garbage way before pickup day, it’s time to have some tough conversations
Full Story