SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avva326

Amaryllis Issues: Red Spots on Apple Blossom Bulb and Dark Leaves

March
4 years ago

Disclaimer: I am aware that I made many mistakes when I first got these plants and I deeply apologize for that. It’s my first time trying to grow anything other than succulents, so please excuse my abhorrent lack of knowledge regarding these plants.

For a bit of context, about more than a week ago, I found two amaryllis plant kits— a Minerva and an Apple Blossom variant, in a Rite Aid (TERRIBLE, I know now). They’re my favorite flower, and I didn’t know you could even grow them in my area, so blinded by my excitement, I bought them. A day later, I went to plant them and found that the Apple Blossom was already producing leaves. However, they were growing towards the base of the bulb because the top of the bulb was facing downwards in the box they were packed in. Additionally, the leaves were slightly white/light yellow near the base and the roots were very dry. The Minerva was plump and pretty with slight growth, so no problems there. I planted both of them in their respective plastic pots (not realizing they had no drainage holes) with the coco peat discs they each came with. There’s no area with adequate sunlight for plants in my house, so I placed them in my backyard patio on an island. There is a roof that extends directly above the patio, so I figured it would be a good place for them to get both direct and indirect sunlight. I had the Apple Blossom’s leaves face west so as to encourage them to grow straight.

Later, I found myself fretting over the Apple Blossom and, after research, decided to remove the dried roots and peel the dried bulb sheaths. That same day I also realized the drainage problem and created holes beneath the pots. For about three days, all was well! The Apple Blossom was starting to straighten up a little, and the Minerva looked fine! But today, I noticed there were possibly more issues.

The Minerva had stopped growing, and the tiny leaves that already existed started turning a dark brownish color. I was really unnerved, so I dug it up and found that a large majority of the roots were rotting. It also had white fuzz on the bottom portion of the bulb and a bit on the roots! Quick research told me it was something fungal, but I couldn’t decipher what it could be since all of the fungal infections I read about fitting my description affected the leaves, not the bulb or roots. Not quite knowing what to do, I peeled the bulb sheathing that the fuzz was attached to, removed the roots that were mushy and a tad fuzzy, and discarded the parts of the soil that could have come in contact with the fuzzy fungi. I mixed the coco peat up a little to try and add some airiness to it and replanted the bulb, hoping it would be fine since the bulb itself wasn't mushy. In my paranoia, I saw that the Apple Blossom’s leaves were also starting to brown a little— one of the leaves even drying a tad. I dig it up and see the slightest hint of white fuzz near the base of the bulb again. I peel the afflicted part and, to my horror, discover that there are red spots! Again, this is on the base of the bulb, not on the leaves, which makes me believe it’s possibly just because it’s an Apple Blossom, and not leaf scorch. There was also a small mushy bit beneath the bulb, which added to my terror. However, I noticed that the bulb started to grow new roots and the bulb itself wasn't soft, which gives me a little bit of hope. Again, I remove the mushy parts, remove/mix the coco peat, and replant the bulb.

Obviously, there are several factors that I believe resulted in this. One, the fact that I used the coco peat the kit came with and two, the fact that I was using the plastic pot with barely any drainage that the kit came with. In addition to this, there have been several frost warnings, which aren’t a common occurrence here. I live in a Zone 9 so I thought it would be fine, but as we all know, climate change is making the weather very unpredictable nowadays.

I've been researching a lot for these plants, and keeping up with sites like this because I really want to make a proper effort and give them everything they need to thrive. At this point I don’t even care if they don’t bloom, but frankly, I‘m at a loss. Am I too late? Was I doomed from the start? Should I discard them and try again next year, or should I wait this out? All feedback is welcome.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company
More Discussions