SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_he46

How to start a tropical houseplant reselling business?

Jeannie He
4 years ago

I'm doing a project for school and am researching my current passion: plants. Specifically, how to sell or resell plants online. I'm taking a coding course and I need to create a website where I'm teaching someone something, and I figured I'd document my foray into selling plants.

I've recently started selling cuttings and propagations of some of my plants on Facebook Marketplace and had some surprising success. Now, I'm researching on how to sell plants full-time. I don't have a greenhouse or much of a garden, so I can't grow all of my plants from seeds, only what I can do within my apartment. I've been looking into reselling plants as an option, but don't really understand the process of buying from a wholesaler.

I'm located in CT, and according to their Nursery Inspection and Certification, that only applies to trees, flowers, shrubs, and anything else except houseplants. I'm a big tropical house plant person, so I'm not sure if CT would even allow me to get certification for them. I know that some wholesalers only sell to those with certificates and licenses, so I wonder if this will be a big obstacle for me.

I know each wholesaler has different demands as for purchase requirements, so I was wondering if that also goes for smaller reselling businesses? If you've had experience in this, what is the smallest purchase requirement that you've come across?

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

Comments (3)