Virginia Is On The Brink Of Cementing Its Democratic Status

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here's some good news for Dems. In fact, it is downright exciting political news!

-----------------------------------

"Democrats are poised to take control of both of Virginia’s state legislative chambers on Tuesday, bringing the state under unified Democratic control for the first time in a quarter century.

The party needs to pick up three seats in the House of Delegates and two seats in the state Senate to take control of both chambers. Polling indicates that those margins are well within Democrats’ reach.

Democratic takeovers in both legislative chambers would have far-reaching implications for the state’s policies and politics. The party, which also controls the governor’s office, would have the chance to pursue a host of liberal priorities like an increase in the state’s minimum wage, laws protecting LGBTQ rights and abortion rights and tougher gun safety regulations.

It would also mark the culmination of Virginia’s yearslong transformation from a conservative state ― which once was the seat of the Confederacy ― to a progressive one that is not only reliably Democratic in presidential elections, but whose state politics are heavily influenced by a cohort of liberal Democrats that would have been unrecognizable even a decade ago.

[. . .]

And don’t expect the Democrats in Virginia to be moderate quasi-Republicans. The state party has been winning its elections with candidates who are more progressive than the traditional Southern Democrats, touting policies like gun control.

[. . .]

Many of the top priorities for Democrats once in power would be the sort of socially liberal reforms for which there is broad support in the increasingly affluent, suburban state.

Tougher gun regulations would almost certainly swiftly become law. In the wake of a mass shooting in Virginia Beach that killed 12 people in May, Northam sought to pass a package of reforms to close background check loopholes for private sales and transfers and forbid the sale of assault rifles, high-capacity magazines and silencers, among other things. The Republican-controlled legislative chambers blocked the measures in a special legislative session in July.

Legislation aimed at protecting LGBTQ residents from discrimination is also likely to pass very quickly. . . .The legislative victory will be especially poetic for Democrats if Danica Roem, the state’s first openly transgender lawmaker and a first-termer seeking reelection, is one of the legislators casting the deciding vote.

Republican Kelley McGinn, Roem’s challenger and an opponent of LGBTQ adoption, has sold her candidacy as an opportunity to “send in a mom,” of which she said the legislature needs more.

When Roem responded at a debate last month that she is a mom as well, the Prince William County Republican Party questioned her right to call herself that in a tweet it later deleted.

[. . .]

Virginia Democrats would have the chance to adopt more expansive protections for abortion rights and ratify the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

[. . .]

. . . Virginia’s ratification would make it the final state needed to actually amend the Constitution. . . . [N]ot only have Democrats vowed to raise the state’s minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour, many are also on record in support of . . .

States with right-to-work laws almost all have weaker unions and lower average wages, but such laws have long been the norm in Southern states, which see them as essential to attracting business investment.

[. . .]

Democrats are likely to enter Virginia into the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, a consortium of largely progressive states that have voluntarily adopted tougher greenhouse gas reductions than are required by the federal government.

With the support of Dominion and Appalachian, [Democratic Governor] Northam has proposed a clean energy standard that would make the state 100% carbon-free by 2050. . . .

[. . .]

The prospect of losing their influence in Virginia has Republicans understandably spooked. If they lose their last bastions of power there, they are not entitled to have a say in the statewide redistricting process in 2021 after the next national census.

[. . .]

When Virginia voted for Barack Obama in 2008, it was the first time the state had voted for a Democratic presidential nominee since 1964.

Some observers characterized that outcome as Virginia’s de facto political secession from the South, Kidd recalled.

Flipping the legislature this year with a more diverse, more progressive group of Democrats, he said, “would be a reaffirmation of that secession from the South ― and it would be on the shoulders of a newer America.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/virginia-state-election-democrats.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I offer my heartiest congratulations to the State of Virginia. Good job! Hope a number of other states are closely observing the political miracle you pulled off and are planning to imitate your successful strategies. If they do, we may very well get the orange blob out of the oval office, whether he wants to go or not!

Kate

SaveComment84Like5
Comments (84)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clearwaters

Welcome to the light, Virginia! You'll find it quite freeing to think for yourselves. No more lock-stepping in place to the drum beats of narrow-minded bigots.

3 Likes Save    
leona_2008

That is wonderful news but I sincerely hope y'all knocked on wood!

1 Like Save    
cecily 7A

Kate, the amount of out of state money flowing into Virginia campaign coffers this year is ridiculous. Each day my mailbox is full of fliers. Each evening the phone rings incessantly. On week day evenings and all day on weekends people knock on my door canvassing. Candidates for the house of delegates and state senate are spending millions (and killing a lot of trees). I'm so done with this election!

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Since I don't have to experience the campaign deluge first-hand, I can rejoice in this "awakening" Virginia has undergone. Amazing the energy, the vitality, released when the State converted to Democrat! Love it--but do hope you soon get some respite from the constant bombardments, Cecily. : )

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

It's not an awakening.

It's liberals from DC, Maryland, other areas, relocating to VA and NC the last decade.

It's a dumbing down.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

It's a needed infusion of life and energy--just what I said!

Kate

7 Likes Save    
Ann

I think it quite likely Dems will win these elections. Virginia has certainly been headed that direction.

Save    
Iris GW

Yep, liberals are moving to all sorts of states ... turning reds into purple as they go! It's a whole strategy ... discussed in secret chatrooms. Bwhahahaha!

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

7 Likes Save    
Ann

Good luck with that opinion, George Will:)

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"It's liberals from DC, Maryland, other areas, relocating to VA and NC the last decade.

It's a dumbing down."

BS - No dice stan, trump has already cornered the dumbing down market, enjoy your stay. It's the new generation of Virginians who have wised up and will give repubs the blues. VgQn and I will vote around 9am Tues and will report back on the numbers there, usually on an off year like this it's a ghost town at the polls, not likely this time around.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Good, go vote.

I encourage voting.

Just not dead people--dems are known for making sure that happens.

1 Like Save    
batyabeth

I'm sorry did I read that right? Finally ratifying the ERA? Really? Holy guacamole.

Save    
Ann

"Yep, liberals are moving to all sorts of states ... turning reds into purple"

Lol, and then along came Trump and we watched the flipping of states that November 2016 night.

ETA: But, not Virginia. It really wants to be blue. Same with my state.

Save    
Iris GW

Nope.

Save    
jlhug

You'll find it quite freeing to think for yourselves. No more lock-stepping in place to the drum beats of narrow-minded bigots.

Comments such as this make me laugh every time I read them. Both the Democrats and Republicans march in lock step in place to the drum beats of narrow-minded bigots. A bigot is someone who is intolerant towards those holding a different opinion. That describes both Democrats, Republicans and quite a few of the posters here.

And, both march in lockstep with what they are told to believe by the pundits, news, bloggers, influencers, etc.

Pot. Kettle. Black. Again and again and again and you can't see it because of your bigotry against those who don’t hold the same opinions that you do.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

A bigot is someone who is intolerant towards those holding a different opinion.

Funny, I was not a bigot until Trump won and the bigoted left were intolerant towards my support of Trump. Now, I am a bigot lol lol lol.... and those that made me a bigot will call me a bigot, and not think they are a bigot.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

The dems are a circle for sure with that type of thinking.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Believe us--it was something of a shock to the rest of us when we found out how many of our families and neighbors shared Trump's bigoted beliefs or at least didn't object to them.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
Chi

Good news! I'm very anxious to see how Tuesday's votes go.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Stan

Oh no, the jig is up! Stan you found us out. I hope you also didn’t find out all Dems round up every undocumented person we can find, force them onto buses and head for the polls.

Is that as bad as Repubs’ purging voter rolls of legitimate voters, shutting down polls, moving them to remote areas, getting Russia to hack into our voting systems?

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Woah, jlhug,

Have you missed the divisions within the Dems and GOP?

It's true that having just 2 parties means I have to go along with whom ever the final candidate is - but that doesn't mean there isn't division. And there are some fierce primary efforts.

And there are many, many times that GOP and Dem come together to work on issues.

I do split my vote as do many, many Americans. And I see many Republican views that I agree with. (I have, for instance, huge problems with giving things away 'for free'.)

Save    
jlhug

Ziemia, yes there are divisions within the parties. And not everyone walks in lock step with the party in both parties I find it funny that some don’t recognize it within their own party. They have no problem labeling someone or a group as bigots when they are bigots as well.

I do think that there are many, as evidenced by comments here and on other sites, who intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them. IMO, that makes them a bigot. Of course they don’t believe they are a bigot because their views are the only views. I also view the booing and getting in someone’s face in a public place because one doesn’t like or disagrees with the other person is bullying. Bullying is never acceptable.

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I also view the booing . . . because one doesn’t like or disagrees with the other person is bullying.

If so, sports is ground zero for bullying, for decades.

1 Like Save    
jlhug

I can’t remember the last time I went to an athletic event or even watched one on TV so I didn’t think of the booing at a game. When the crowd boos an individual who is attending the game or someone gets in the face of someone eating at a restaurant or going about their daily lives, that’s bullying. Boos at a team or a player part of the audience participation part of game.

1 Like Save    

Boos at a team or a player part of the audience participation part of game.

So two different standards for public persons.

Why is booing a public person at a public event considered bullying but booing the referee is not? Both receive negative feed back for their actions.

Is condemning a person as guilty (without a legal judgement) at a political rally bullying? Leading chants for that person to be imprisoned? Encouraging boos for an opponent?

If there has been degradation of political discourse, it began with the Tea Party, and reached its culmination with Donald Trump.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump is the consummate bully——booing him is just giving this bully a taste of his own medicine.

2 Likes Save    
jlhug

Trump is the consummate bully——booing him is just giving this bully a taste of his own medicine.

The golden rule is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I try to live by that rule. Just because someone is a bully (and I heartily agree Trump is a bully and have said so since he began his run for President), doesn't make it ok to bully them back, IMO. It seems to me that bullying back puts you on his level and I suspect that you are a much better person than he is.

Save    
jlhug

If there has been degradation of political discourse, it began with the Tea Party, and reached its culmination with Donald Trump.

I think the seeds of the degradation of political discourse were planted long before Trump started running. Every election cycle, the ads were more and more about what was wrong with the candidate's opponent than the candidate was going to try to accomplish while in office. Trump accelerated the degradation. Other candidates followed. The media fanned the flames by using soundbites taken out of context.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I lived in VA for decades and only left it 10 years ago. VA was already headed in the Dem direction ( e.g. Tim Kaine, et al.) VA is increasingly multi-cultural as a state and it is not just folks who live up near DC or Maryland. My Tidewater area was increasingly liberal and democratic years ago, as we were multi-cultural early on (Hampton, VA, for example). Richmond has become quite a sophisticated city, with world class restaurants. Times, they are a-changin'!

2 Likes Save    

. . . seeds . . . were planted long before Trump started running

The Tea Party was long before Trump.

I should also add Sarah Palin as responsible for the degradation; she engaged in dog-whistle politics against Barack Obama.

I should amend my comment re Palin. She was carrying on the GOP tradition of the Southern Strategy.

Why the condemnation of current politics without mentioning the Southern Strategy precedent?

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

Good buy, VA. Was good to know you. Dems already trashing you at the alarming pace, if they take over they will finish you.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Because many of them think that higher education is only for liberal brainwashing, so they don't educate themselves. That results in less job opportunities. You don't have to have a college degree to succeed in life, but for many jobs, you need one just to apply these days.

Save    
HU-835802719

Yes, they are so against it for others but all of the Republicans I know certainly send their own kids to college. But yours shouldn't go!

Save    
Carro

It will be interesting to see how Republicans fair in VA on Nov. 5. In some areas, spoiler alert! Democrats will win. Because they are running unopposed.

In other areas, we'll see, won't we?

In the general election in 2020, don't count on VA going blue.

Save    
Ann

"Yes, they are so against it for others but all of the Republicans I know certainly send their own kids to college. But yours shouldn't go!"

Huh, I don't get this at all. Who says someone else's kids (with parents from either party) should or shouldn't go to college? Yes, my kids went to college and in no way whatsoever did I ever have any opinion about whether yours did or didn't or should or shouldn't. I do not understand your comment at all. What would anyone else's opinion (from either party) have to do with your kids going to college and what would your opinion have to do with mine going to college?

Unless, of course, you are suggesting or expecting someone else (besides you or your kids) pay for your kids to go to college. That's an entirely different conversation!

2 Likes Save    
Andie

Trump is a moron.

4 Likes Save    
Carro

Dear Shannon Watts, you low-information never-Trumper: Trump knows that if Democrats get the majority, that's what will happen.

Right now, Republicans have a slim majority and if Mz. Wattsherbrains had a clue, she would have gleaned that from Trump's tweet.

BTW, that's the Black Face, "Coonman" Governor and the Rapist Lt. Governor.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

Carro Ralph Northam abortion after birth guy is also a VA Dem (who was listed as Rep on CNN news).

Save    
HU-835802719

They demonize colleges for obscene liberalism and talk on RW radio about how not everyone needs college more should opt for trades but turn around and send their kids to college.

Just a supression tactic like all R policy.

Save    
Ann

Why would you care if conservatives criticize colleges for obscene liberalism? Also, why would you care if some people feel trades are a good fit for some? Neither of these things would prevent you from sending your kid to college. That decision is between you and your children. I'm still not understanding how any of this has any impact whatsoever on what you or your children decide about college. In what way would it represent a "suppression tactic". No one is standing in your way.

1 Like Save    
jlhug

Nancy, there are many things that contributed to today’s political climate including the Southern Strategy. BOTH parties own this. As much as you would like to, the lack of respect of other’s points of view wasn’t created by any one political party. We desperately need to learn as individuals, political parties and a nation how not to hate or look down our nose at people who are different in race, religion, political views, etc.

This isn’t the thread to discuss all of the influences on our political parties. If you want to do so, start a thread.

2 Likes Save    

Since 1964 the GOP has used the Southern Strategy, and both parties are guilty??

Before the Southern Strategy, there was the McCarthy witch hunts, and the red scares.

The assertion that both parties are equally guilty is a false equivalency.

4 Likes Save    
jlhug

I wasn't clear. BOTH parties are guilty of escalating the attacks on the other party. Neither is blameless. The southern strategy is not the only problem. Again, if you want to discuss all of the things that have gotten us to where we are right now politically, start another thread.

1 Like Save    

Why the need to tell me what to do?

Again, false equivalency is being tossed around without supporting arguments.

McCarthy, Red scares, Southern Strategy, Tea Party, Trumpism, and somehow Democrats are to blame?

6 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

By the way, check out how many colleges and universities the state of VA has. Not least is its large array of community colleges. Something to be proud of.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Jlhug, I thought you were very clear about considering both parties guilty.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Well it was fairly busy at the polls this morning @9:30am. all 8 voting machines were full and we had to wait a couple of minutes. Considering that 2019 lacked a prez, gov, and senators on the ballot that seemed busier than normal. As to which party comes out ahead, we'll know within 10-12 hours, no one there was wearing any type of baseball cap and it was a chilly morning.

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Hope my former area to call home (Newport News/ Hampton) went blue! Still missing the Old Dominion!

1 Like Save    
cecily 7A

My polling place was busy as well. The lines were moving and there was only a short wait as one gentleman had difficulties with the optical scanner. It did seem like a high turn out for a local/state election.

Save    
Kathy

Suppression is when the GOP uses tax money to support private schools leaving public schools short of funding.

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

Vote cast.

And while they did ask for a photo ID the list of acceptable photo ID's at the initial desk included (among others) a photo ID from your place of employment (if your place of employment met certain criteria). I presented my UVA ID, which has my photo, my first and middle initial and my last name. They checked the voter registration system, asked my middle name and current address, and verified my responses with the information listed in their system. I was given a ballot, I filled it out, and fed it into the scanner.

So while I was asked to show a photo ID it seemed to be geared toward making sure I was the person I was claiming to be, there may have even been some procedure in place in the event I had lost my wallet on the way to the polling place., rather than seeming to be geared toward preventing people from voting as it seems to be the case in several states where the Republican state government has been passing new strict voter ID laws and purging large numbers of valid registered voters from the rolls.

It might have been interesting to see whether they handled my presenting the UVA ID or some other photo ID on their list other than a driver's license if I looked significantly different. I can't offer a valid opinion on that since I have never looked significantly different.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
bob_cville

> Speaking of Virginia.

We are speaking of Virginia, the State, not about a woman who happens to be named Virginia. Try to keep up.

Furthermore regarding your "meme". None of the voter ID laws contemplated or recently passed would have any effect on the concerted efforts Putin and the Russians have made and continue to make, to influence our elections to their liking. So if that is what you are worried about (and despite the "meme" everyone knows it is not) you should push for a very different set of measures to prevent Putin and other foreigners from influencing or even outright hacking our elections.

Those voter ID laws and other related changes in rules and procedures governing voting are all about making it harder for some legal, valid voters that might be inclined to vote against the Republican candidate to cast their vote. Since every legal, valid voter that would vote against a Republican candidate who is prevented from voting by being removed from the rolls for specious reasons or by lengthy delays at the polling place or by not being able to jump through all of the bureaucratic hoops necessary to obtain the proper proscribed ID, is effectively a vote for the Republican candidate. Some Republican party members have even admitted as much in moments when they thought they weren't being recorded.

4 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Public booing is the most effective way to communicate with dt. It’s what he understands because it’s at his level, low. And it’s not biased like those disgusting rallies.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Virginia so far:

House (100 seats total): Dem. 43 won 11 lead Rep. 37 won 8 lead Ind. 1 lead

Senate (40 seats total): Dem. 21 won 1 lead Rep. 16 won 2 lead

1 Like Save    
Chi

Wow Dems took both the house and Senate? Nice. Good night for us!

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Amazing what a little un-gerrymandering can do...

4 Likes Save    

Congratulations, VA!

6 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Way to go, Virginia!

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Fantastic night.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Speaking of Virginia:

Juli Briskman, who famously flipped off President Donald Trump’s motorcade in a viral 2017 photo, won her race Tuesday night for a seat on the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors in Virginia.

Briskman, a former marketing executive and local Democratic activist, unseated eight-year incumbent Republican Suzanne Volpe. She will represent the Algonkian District on the board, which serves more than 400,000 residents.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/juli-briskman-flipped-off-trump-motorcade-loudoun-county-supervisor-board-virginia_n_5dc1e085e4b08b735d616c7e

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Virginia, Kentucky, Miss—— 2 out of three ain't bad! McConnell and Trump are not having a good night. Repubs might finally start seeing Trump as a liability instead of an asset to their being reelected. May affect impeachment votes in Senate as well.

4 Likes Save    
cecily 7A

It's a beautiful day in Virginia. One pressing issue not mentioned in the OP is the gun show loophole. With a Democratic majority in Richmond, that loophole will be eliminated bringing real change to the mid Atlantic region.

7 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I'm proud of my fellow Virginians for clinging onto their scruples and reject traveling down the ugly road paved with mulligans.

2 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

cecily 7A

It's a beautiful day in Virginia. One pressing issue not mentioned in the OP is the gun show loophole. With a Democratic majority in Richmond, that loophole will be eliminated bringing real change to the mid Atlantic region.

Right there. Beautiful.

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Way to send a message Virginia.

11 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Eric Holder @EricHolder

These are victories not for a party but for our democracy. A motivated, committed people beat the special interests. The results tonight will ensure that the Commonwealth of Virginia will have fair maps for the next decade and that the will of the people will be respected.

11 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Go Virginia!

What's really peeving me? All the Christian/Conservative media around here, um, somehow, aren't reporting this or KY. Not even MS? Why?

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Congrats, Virginia!

Save    
Stan Areted

HU-----19

Yes, they are so against it for others but all of the Republicans I know certainly send their own kids to college. But yours shouldn't go!

What? This does not make sense to me.

Are you suggesting that Republicans don't think other people's kids shouldn't go to college?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Proud of you, Virginia!

Kate

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

TRMS said the other night that 10 houses in states have flipped since the 2016 election, and all of them have flipped blue...

Save    
bob_cville

Despite the predictions that Virginia would go blue, I couldn't watch the returns as they were coming in, because I was expecting the Republican gerrymandering would win the day for them. In my area the results they did report showed nearly all incumbents returning and most contest results were 60-something % to 30-something % which in and of itself doesn't prove gerrymandering, but when coupled with the torturous, convoluted boundaries of the districts it makes it pretty clear.

The best outcome from this election win is that the boundaries will be redrawn after the 2020 census and the party in power gets to decide how. My hope is that they will resist the temptation to gerrymander in their favor, and instead pass laws mandating non-partisan district boundaries

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I join you in that wish, Bob. I am so sick of that political dirty trick called gerrymandering.

One of the HT Trumpsters asked last year what was wrong with gerrymandering? Both political parties do it when they are in power.

In other words, "gerrymander" is simply a neutral word for determining voting districts. That Trumpster (and others) had simply drained the "gerry" out of the word.

It is true that both parties have indulged in gerrymandering, but nothing like the extreme and organized gerrymandering demonstrated by the Repub. Party in recent times.

Time for ALL parties to get out of the business of drawing voting districts. ALL states should have a non-partisan commission in charge of determining the size and shape of voting districts, based on some general guidelines.

Kate

Save    
Linda

Maybe someday, it will be illegal to gerrymander. I'm in a heavily gerrymandered Texas house district spread over many hundreds of miles from San Antonio to near El Paso. And now, no incumbent running for office...Hurd voluntarily or perhaps reluctantly fell on his sword and is hinting on an eventually run for prez. LOL! In his dreams! Nobody will get out of this mess without serious shade falling on their reputation.

Save    
catkinZ8a

A Virginia lawmaker, Joe Morrisey, once jailed for having sex with his underage secretary won election to the state Senate Tuesday.

How times change.

From 11/05/2016 01:47 pm ET

Ex-Convict Who Slept With His Teenage Employee Is Set To Become Richmond’s Next Mayor

Joe Morrissey has cobbled together an unlikely coalition of voters in Virginia’s capital.

By Amber Ferguson

seems nothing can stop Joe Morrissey from winning in politics.

Not getting caught sleeping with his teenage secretary in 2013 and serving a three-month jail sentence for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Not recent allegations that he sexually harassed one of his clients. Not the fact that Virginia State Bar is trying to disbar him, or that the Democratic Party of Virginia and the Richmond City Democratic Committee have sued him.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-morrissey-richmond-mayor_n_581b95c2e4b0aac6248306e9

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

A Virginia lawmaker, Joe Morrisey, once jailed for having sex with his underage secretary won election to the state Senate Tuesday.

How times change.

From 11/05/2016 01:47 pm ET

Ex-Convict Who Slept With His Teenage Employee Is Set To Become Richmond’s Next Mayor

----------------------------------

No fan of Mossisey but he did not become Richmond's mayor 3 years ago and he served time in prison for having sex with his underage secretary. BTW, they are presently happily married with 2 children.

Save    
leona_2008

Yes, times have changed. Sitting in the WH is a self-confessed grabber of women who can't go one hour without telling a lie and cares for no one but himself. And his supporters have the audacity to throw stones.

2 Likes Save    
jlhug

Joe Morrisey was disbarred in 2001 and his license to practice law revoked in 2003. He's been cited for contempt of court 10 times and jailed or arrested multiple times. Virginia did reinstate license to practice law but he still can't practice before federal courts. He has six children by four different mothers.

Yes, he married the intern. If her were a Republican, his past deeds would not be forgotten. Just got to love a Democrat or anyone who can win an election while serving a jail sentence.

Gerrymandered? My district was recently redrawn because the previous one was gerrymandered. The new district has two distinct areas separated by a different district and a river.

Oh yes, I'm not now nor have I ever been a Trump supporter.

Save    
cecily 7A

The Democratic party of Virginia doesn't want Morrissey but his constituents do. He could run as an independent and be reelected.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Beneficial Insects Gardening for the Bees, and Why It’s a Good Thing
When you discover how hard bees work for our food supply, you may never garden without them in mind again
Full Story
Fun Houzz One Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
Disaster Prep & Recovery What to Do After a Hurricane or Flood
How you treat your home after a natural disaster can make all the difference in its future livability — and your own personal safety
Full Story