SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tchi77

Wall oven and cooktop or range for a tight space?

T
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all, we’re about to embark on a DIY kitchen renovation. And by we, I mean my father, who I’ve watched build houses and amazing spaces my entire life and now finally get to have him to help us re-do our kitchen. I’m excited! It’ll be a project on a budget but I think we can still accomplish some great-looking updates. We have a very small 50s kitchen and we’ll be keeping some vintage elements and styling and including some modern touches. We love that mix of retro and modern.

There’s one area I’m getting slightly cold feet about. We have a 30” freestanding stove that’s 7” away from the base cabinets to the left, with a counter top extending to meet it. Above it is a 40” hood. This whole wall has been my kitchen headache and one of the areas we’re changing the most.

Our plan is to get rid of all the cabinetry above the stove and build custom (we’ll be painting the cabinets white, extending to ceiling and getting rid of our soffit and dreaded fluorescent lighting). The new slide-in range will go against the base cabinet to the left (no more counter top overhang). Above the range will be new cabinets that match the width, and a hood at the proper height under the cabinets. To the right both above and below the range will be a narrow pull-out cabinet, and then the cabinetry will take a sharp angle to make a diagonal cabinet to the doorway. We’ll gain countertop space on the right and have a more built-in look, plus bye-bye shoulder buster upper cabinet!

Here’s the design dilemma… the base cabinet to the left of the stove is only 16.5” wide from the inner edge of the base cabinet with the drawers to the outer edge. I’m concerned a freestanding range (the ones we’re looking at are about 27-28” deep total) will stick out enough that it makes that inner corner feel really tight, especially after 7 years of getting used to that extra 7” of space I’m fine with losing that to gain the space on the right, but I worry about the stove sticking out there making that a more awkward/tight workspace since it can’t be flush. And perhaps look a little odd when visually glancing at those 3 drawers from afar, with a stove sticking out beyond a bit.

While it seems a bit crazy, I’m now considering the complicating factor of doing a single 30” wall oven in a base cabinet below a 30” gas (not electric nor induction) cooktop, in the same position, butt up against that left-hand base cabinet. But that way, we gain a flush cabinet surface from those 3 cabinets to the left of what-would-be the oven, and then the continuing new cabinetry to the right.

It definitely isn’t a cheaper or easier way to go which is why I’ve hesitated putting the idea on the table, but I do like the sleek look of a wall oven and cook top and think having a flush surface for those base cabinets could help make it not feel as tight in that inner cabinet corner. (And no, other placements for a range and/or wall oven and cooktop are not on the table for our tiny kitchen.)

If it helps, our backsplash tile will be aqua, but my spouse wants a quilted stainless backsplash behind the range up to the hood for an industrial touch. I can’t seem to find examples of that with a drop-in cooktop online so a tiny bit worried that might look odd, but not sure. I think it’ll still be fine…?

So, which would you do—stay with a slide-in range and just deal with the fact that it’ll stick away from the base cabinet, and that corner will feel a bit tighter, or go through the extra trouble (and expense) of doing a drop-in cooktop and a wall oven below?

With the wall oven/cook top I also worry about long-term issues with replacement and matching same size space in cabinetry and counter top. But I suppose worst case we can turn that back into a 30” space for a range someday down the road. Though having never had either, it makes researching two appliances a bit of a daunting task, too.

Anyway, thoughts one way or the other? Am I just overthinking this? Stick with a range?

Or if you think wall oven/ cooktop is the way to go, what are your thoughts on mixing brands, and do you think a quilted stainless backsplash up to the hood will still look nice, vs. doing that behind a range?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (6)