SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - intentional power outage

jacqueline9CA
4 years ago

Just thought I would share some observations, while we have internet, regarding the Northern California PG&E intentional power outage (to prevent fires during high winds/low humidity/dry fuel/hot weather). Our power was off for 48 hours, and they say today they may have to turn it off again. Here are my observations about what worked during the outage, and what did not, in case this might help some of you in the future:

WORKED (in no particular order)

1) Old fashioned LAND LINE hard wired telephone - never missed a beat, and we were able to get alerts, etc. on it. We have kept it for years on purpose for this reason, and it was the only one of our 4 different phone lines which worked.

2) Old fashioned (see a theme here?) gas oven/stove - it has a standing pilot, so no "safety electric starter" to mess it up.

3) natural gas - see (2)

4) the water (only because our local water utility bought 100 generators and has been moving them around to keep up the water pressure - this might not happen in a non planned outage, of course.

5) Old fashioned water heater (see 3) - we had hot water, no problem (my contractor DH says the water heaters have a way to magically re-ignite their pilot lights w/o outside power if they go out). So, we had hot water. If this had been an earthquake, for example, and the water lines had broken, we would not have had hot water (except that heated on my old gas stove), but still would have had the amount of water (assuming the water heater was earthquake safe) contained in the large hot water tank. If we had had a MODERN "instant on demand heated" hot water system (electric), not only would we NOT have had any hot water at all, even in a planned outage, we would not have had any stored water either.

6) First responders - of course - there was, of course a huge fire north of here (caused by a transmission line that PG&E decided not to turn off when they turned off their other lines) where they evacuated 200,000 + people, and fire fighters came from all over the state and nearby states

7) Traffic - there was hardly any - even on Monday. All intersections were "4 way stops", and it worked! At the large, multiple lane intersections on arterials, our town put out sandwich boards between the lanes at the intersections with STOP signs on them.

8) Our LOCAL market. All of of the giant company chain markets were closed, but our locally owned by the same family for 50+ years super market STAYED OPEN the entire time, selling ice and any kind of food which did not have to be refrigerated. I heard that another LOCAL market on the other side of town was also open.

9) CASH !

10) newspaper - both of them were delivered on time, every morning, and were our main source of news, along with RADIO.

11) The generator we bought 2 months ago. A mobile one, not integrated, although we did have a licensed electrician put in a panel in our house so that we could use it for energizing a sub-panel (lights in the kitchen and bathroom) in our house safely. My DH was able to not only keep our upstairs tenants fridge/freezer and one other plug in their kitchen energized, but work with the contractor who lives next door to energize the fridge/freezers in both of the units of their duplex. My DH, of course, did have to drive to the nearest town which had power to get in line at a gas station to get extra fuel for it, which might not have been possible in a non planned outage. However, we would have been fine even without the generator.

12) Radio (actually fun listening to the radio broadcasts of football games), of course runs on a battery (also you can crank it if you need to). Also 24 hour news on the crisis, and when new fires popped up, broadcast specific streets, etc. which were being evacuated.

13) Our gasoline powered vehicles.

What did NOT work:

CELL phones (50% of the towers ran out of back up power), our new, fancy, gas oven/stove (needs electricity to use the oven), internet, most stores in town, credit cards, "instant on" water heating (except luckily we did not have that), etc etc. Old stuff worked, new high tech stuff did not. One town in the SF Bay area has actually BANNED any new natural gas hook-ups for new construction! Everything has to be "all electric". So idiotic.

Hope this may be helpful to someone in the future.

Jackie

Comments (15)