SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claudette03

Board and Batten

Meg C
4 years ago

I want to add board and batten to my stairs. Not sure where to start or how high to take it given the window. Having looked at so many pictures and void of one similar enough to my layout, I see a few options. Any advice and pics greatly appreciated!

My two story foyer is an odd room with angled walls, front door, 2 sets of french doors, a closet and an opening into a dining room as well as the stairs. There is also a 3 shelf built in.

So here are the options I've come up with on where to start the feature.
A. with the molding that starts in the foyer, B. with the molding that starts on the first step in the foyer wall, but not the other foyer wall with the closet door. C. just the stair walls and leave the foyer molding as is.

And the rail... should I take the wood that the rail is currently attached to off and replace the rail without it? or work the board and batten around it (I don't see that working, but if I was a design expect I would not be here in the first place)?

As far as height, I saw many options here but couldn't find an industry standard. Suggestions?

Thanks so much for the help! This group is amazing and my goto when I'm totally stumped!

Comments (10)