SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
temima_spetner

1896 Victorian Kitchen Remodel

T S
4 years ago

I posted about this project a year ago and ended up starting over with a new KD. After one engineering headache after another we are finally getting the project started.
We are taking the main kitchen, butlers pantry, and second pantry and opening it up into one big kitchen with a butlers pantry and lockers for kid stuff.
I would like some opinions on a few things.
Please do not suggest any changes in the overall design as you have no clue the complications that we face with anything we want to do with this house.
We are going for a dark/moody vibe with herringbone terra cotta, copper island top, and green cabinets and walls. Walnut for island. (Very close look to the attached pic)
Perimeter counters will be light stone.
Black Hallman range and black hood.
Built in refrigerator with panels to mimic an old ice box.
The bar area will have the original copper top and sink and wood paneling. (Example of similar attached)
The windows will be framed in the original marble frame (we will get them restored)
We will salvage the original subway tile as backsplash.

Questions:

1. The wall behind the range comes out a few inches and we are thinking of using the same stone from the counters on that entire wall. Thoughts? Any other ideas?

2. Should we continue this look of green cabinets and stone counters in the butlers pantry or should we mimic the cream cabinets and wood counters that were original to the house? Pics attached of what we have currently and some examples I found online.

3. Currently the subway tile goes halfway up all the walls. Not just by the counters. Should we continue this?

4. Should we frame the doorway into the pantry in the same marble as the windows (it’s currently framed in marble) or should we do a wood frame to match the island and bar area.

First pictures are the kitchen now (from the listing photos)

Comments (14)