SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_43136206

Cost per square foot to rebuild in San Francisco?

User
4 years ago

Our homeowner's insurance renewed this month and the fire insurance dwelling limit increased to $543K based on estimated replacement cost (RC) of $417 per foot - which seems high, but I'm no builder. Our insurance agent cited their in-house estimator and GC's "word on the street" of $400-$500 per foot up to $1,200 per foot here in SF. But our home is hardly one of those homes that would grace the cover of Dwell magazine. Trust me.

Help

Can any SF builder/GC weigh in on estimated RC and advise one way or another what a decent cost per sq ft is?

Our House

We have a modest 3BD/2BA home, 1,300 sq ft, build 1939 with stucco and wood siding, updated 20 years ago. It's sort of a split level: enter home to the main level, go up a half flight of stairs to two bedrooms, go down a half flight of stairs to an office/utility room and one car garage and storage, from there, down an another half flight of stairs to a family room/3rd bedroom and second full bath.

In our now "dated" kitchen we have Kitchen Craft cabinetry, 20 year old granite and stainless Frigidaire fridge, Wolf stove, and a 5 year old Bosch dishwasher; the kitchen flooring is laminate. The home flooring is mostly parquet hardwood, but also tile in one bathroom, painted pine flooring in the other one, and some doug fir in the family room and a large utility/office space. We have "big box store" crown, base and chair rail on the living level, but less detail upstairs. The bathrooms have 20 year old Kohler and Moen fixtures. The windows, electrical, plumbing and furnace were replaced 20 years ago. The washer and dryer are as old as dirt but work great. The roof is new (ish).

Correct Fire Insurance Dwelling Limit

Do any of the home's finishes and fixtures matter since I am subject to the dwelling fire limit anyway? How does a homeowner arrive at the right dwelling limit? I know it's not the market value of the home, nor is it the tax appraised value; the home is supposed to be insured for estimated replacement cost value, so the home can be rebuilt to "like kind and quality" in the event of a total fire loss. But I don't want to over insure us (or under insure us).

My Research

a) An online RC estimator I used adjusted for zip code, building material and dwelling finishes, and came up with $264 per foot in the "standard building materials meeting building codes with standard big box store finishes and fixtures" category for our zip code. Our insurance agent ignored this estimate and cited his in-house estimator tool, which I get he's obligated to use.

b) I called two SF contractors asking their professional opinion of RC in SF and they didn't call back, but I didn't follow up either.

c) Connect Homes (pre-fab, green builder) did give me a new build estimate but they have yet to build in SF. Two clients planned to but didn't build because they didn't want to wait the 2 year planning approval process happening then (do most new construction projects take that long in SF planning?) Their cost per SF was about $400-$500 but that is for a green "build" which I think is usually more expensive than standard.

No Conclusion

So what dwelling limit should I use for my fire insurance policy? Are any SF builders/GC's in the mood to weigh in on estimated RC in SF?

Comments (23)