SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliewignell

What's Flowering this month in Sydney!

Julie Wignell
4 years ago

It seems the forum is a little slow........

........so here are a few examples of what is flowering for me just at the moment.

Comments (80)

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, djacobz568sewi.

No, they are not native to Australia, but are originally South American bulbs, and due to their great popularity are now grown widely throughout the world. We are very lucky here in Australia as they do well in our climate. My collection is only extensive as the climate here makes for such easy growing.

In general, you will not have any luck growing bulbs outside in low/freezing temperatures. Some people try growing them outdoors in sheltered positions up against warm walls and mulched well to protect from the cold over the winter months, but most bulbs are lost each winter under these cold conditions. They are naturally warm-weather bulbs from mild to tropical climates.

You could try keeping it in a pot and growing outside in the warmer months, and then bring your bulb inside to over-winter in the house. There is a lot of info here on the forum from more experienced cold climate growers, and their info will guide you to the best way of doing this.

If it was me, I would just go ahead and buy a bulb of choice. Enjoy the remarkably lovely flowers brightening up the house, and then take a chance on growing it on successfully to see if it will re-bloom in the future!

Julie

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Hi Julie,

Every delicious loom is just mouth watering :-))) Thank you for taking the time to upload them, I have enjoyed each and every one of them.

P.S. I'm coming to your house :-))))

Julie Wignell thanked Fred Biasella
  • Related Discussions

New flower head on a 3.5 month old sunflower plant?

Q

Comments (6)
    Not sure if this is the right forum to post this ==>>> you may post anywhere you want ... but as you note.. you already know its a sunflower ... when it flowers... and you want a more specific ID... then it would be here ... but if you want to find peeps who grow annuals ... and talk about sunflowers ... that might be the annual forum ... though that forum is rather dead this time of year .... but do understand... its winter.. for a vast percentage of us on GW ... and a lot of the forums become rather inactive ... so post where ever you can find an audience .. have fun in the garden ken
    ...See More

my dr first flower after months of waiting

Q

Comments (11)
    "What type Of flower is it" A really pretty double red one ;) Sorry, couldn't resist! I'm sure more knowledgeable folks - of which there are many - will be able to suggest some possibilities. You may never know and it may not have a name. You can name it. How 'bout "Lady in Red?" Cynthia
    ...See More

This months flowers!

Q

Comments (14)
    Wow!!! WOW! :0) I once gave a flower a month, from a florist, to my aunt, for a year.....she was dying of cancer. She said now she quit work(she was an anesthetist), she had nothing to look forward to. It also gave us something to talk about, what they sent her. RIP Audrey.
    ...See More

Two month old Apricot seedling has flower and gnarled branches?

Q

Comments (3)
    That’s very weird. It looks like a case of fasciation in the apical meristem (growing tip). Causes are various but could be hormonal or cold or other damage. It won’t grow out so you’d need to cut the stem back to normal growth.
    ...See More
  • Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

...looking forward to your visit, Fred :)

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

Thanks Julie for uploading the pics since nothing is blooming now :) your flowers are so vibrant and beautiful!

Julie Wignell thanked jstropic (10a)
  • OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    4 years ago

Hippeastrums can certainly be addicting. I am just starting to catch the bug here in Minneapolis, which of course means pots, rather than outside. Dramatic plants even when not in bloom but so much more when they flower!

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Hi Old Dutch,

Welcome to CHAD (Compuslive Hippeastrum Acquisition Disorder) I caught it many years ago and I'm afraid to say...yer a gonner :-))) At least, you're among friends and fellow CHAD sufferers.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    4 years ago

Guess I will add that to my passion for garlics, daylilies, tomatoes, chilis, and ... :-)

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    4 years ago

Up north here in USDA zone 4 my first Sonatini's burst into bloom this past week. I put three Fire Dancer into a 6" azalea pot, and they never hesitated. There are now 8 flowering stems and three of them have open blooms. How they will be in future years is beyond me, but they sure are easy this first year. The one Lemon Sorbet bulb has two stems and I expect the first flowers there in the next week. This is exciting. First snow this morning; so the excitement has to stay indoors at least until I acclimatize to freezing temps! The paperwhites in the bulb glasses are developing a very good set of roots, too. This year I am trying Galilee instead of Ziva. Some friends find Ziva's aroma to be really foul.

If I can get decent pictures I will post. I am not very good with a camera.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good luck with your bulbs, OldDutch, - I hope they all do well for you.

Back here I also have a few more opening, and the first is Maguire's 'Queen of the Nile'.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

...a soft unnamed pinky-red and white from Kangaroo Island.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Loading photos seems a little easier today for some reason, so I will go ahead and post a few more for you....finally my 'Flamenco Queen' has flowered, and I'm thrilled to find it actually true to name. I have had quite a few mislabels this year, so it was a relief to find this one blooming and looking just as it should. Hopefully next year it should be bigger and better.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This one is another unnamed one from Kangaroo Island. It is very star shaped and has a nice upward looking bloom. I would have preferred it as a plain white, though.

No scent, unfortunately.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And my 'Charisma' starting to open up.....

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This one is interesting. It is another seedling flowering for the first time from Maguire's 'Ada's Flower' and so far it is a nice soft creamy-white, with lots of tiny spots. I will post another photo when it has fully opened to give you a better look.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This one was a mislabel and was supposed to be 'Naranga' but instead turned out a lovely rich red with slightly pointed petals. I'm still trying to figure out what it might be, but I am very pleased to have acquired it. It is a nicer red than what it shows here ( that dreadful camera of mine again ) and has deeper red rays emanating from the centre and also wavy/crimped inner petals.

Any guesses?

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

...and another mislabel. This was sold as 'Red Rascal' but appears that it could be 'Twinkle Star'!

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another seedling that has turned out it be a mid orange. Flower is quite large. I am hoping that next year the shape will improve...still, not too bad for its maiden bloom. And of course, I'm always smitten with orange hippies, so it has that in its favour already! It's a strong grower, and will make a nice plain garden hippy in the future.

( just noticed that it is scented as well - that's a plus!)

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    4 years ago

So many beauties! These are my only bloomers this time around, but they have done real well:

My camera does not do justice to Lemon Sorbet. The three Fire Dancer bulbs on the right in a 6" azalea pot have about a dozen open blooms on their 8 flower stalks. I never saw anything like it. The bulbs are all going soft, but they are outputing so much that is about what I would expect and hope to rebuild them on their foliage later on.

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Hi Julie,

They're all sooo beautiful :-)))) Thank you for taking the time to upload them. Naturally, we're all jealous as all get out of your luscious growing area and explosion of mouthwatering blooms. Keep 'em coming girl :-)))))))))

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, Fred. It's a rather crowded area, that's for sure.

Here are a few more that have opened over the last few days......

'Charisma'

My seedling from Maguire's 'Ada's Flower' has now opened and has quite a large bloom with a very distinct profile.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is one I like very much, but it is an unknown vintage bulb. A lovely rich orange/red.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maguire's 'Guyra'. It has a very large flower, but I feel this one would do better in the ground than stuck in a pot. It feels like it needs space to reach its true potential as sadly the blooms are never fully expanded while growing in a pot.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

An unidentified vittatum.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The lovely Maguire's 'Margie Bruton'....

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maguire's 'Envious Lady'.

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Hi Julie,

On this very cold day (13F this morning) these beautiful pictures are sure helping to bring a warm smile to my face :-)))

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    4 years ago

I second that! It might even warm up to freezing tomorrow around here. Flowers are a sanity factor as November goes all cloudy and dreary.

Your 'Envious Lady' is very similar to 'Lemon Sorbet' in the Sonatinis with the later just a very little bit more yellow, a very refined, beautiful color, but not one that photographs well.

FWIW the third bulb in my 6" pot of 'Fire Dancer' now has its third flower stem making a total of 9 flower stems in that one small pot, and no staking actually needed either. I sorta gotta wonder if there is going to be anything left to rebuild for future seasons... If not, what I got this season is way beyond my expectations! I never had these before so learning over the next few months is going to be a new experience. They have already been more than worth what I paid for them anyway.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Fred, and OldDutch. Glad to hear that they are cheering you up a little. There are still a few more to go that are later blooming bulbs. I'll continue to post as they come along.

In the last few days these have made an appearance........

Maguire's 'Cheryl's Beauty' with it's gorgeous colour and large flowers...

And Maguire's 'Orange Jester'....not looking nearly as luminescent as last year. In fact all the bulbs are looking as though they need a change in their feeding programme. I'm going to start back on the Dynamic Lifter and Blood and Bone and see what that does for me next year. The slow release pellets and occasional water soluble fertilizer I've been using is not giving me as good results this year for some reason.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And this one is flowering for the first time...

Maguire's 'Morning Dancer'.

...all three together.

• fishing_dentist
    4 years ago

this morning dancer is stunning!

All You Australian friends: Are You safe? These news about the bushfires are horrible!

Take care of You and Yours. Climate changes everywhere

Julie Wignell thanked fishing_dentist
  • Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Oh I second that!!!!! They're all BEAUTIFUL :-))) but Morning Dancer is absolutely stunning.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the concern over the recent bushfires. They have been terrible. Even where I am there are days I can smell smoke, and we have had fires only a kilometer or so away with local evacuations necessary, but luckily nothing too close to me for the moment. I wish others well that find themselves in fire prone areas.

Here is another pic of 'Morning Dancer' now the bloom is fully open. I must say it is a brighter flower than what I expected. It looked a deeper pink on the old Maguire's website. She is a large bloom as well!

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Hi Julie,

On this cloudy, cold and dreary Monday morning, thank you for this beauty to help brighten my day.

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

Julie, these are gorgeous!!! I appreciate your taking time to post so we can all share in the beauty of these flowers.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

jstropic, I'm glad that you have been enjoying them. The main hippy flush is now over, but there are still some late bloomers coming along.

My table of Maguire's bulbs have had a hard year without much care spent on them, and have been kept very dry over most of this year while my attention has been focused elsewhere in the garden, and it is now showing in the poorer bloom quality this year. Still, they are doing their best, even if they are not so wonderful this season.

Here are a few of them struggling on.....

Maguire's 'Pink Perfection'

Maguire's 'Keilmount Madonna' looking a little stressed out.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maguire's 'Harbour Lights' looking very unlike her usual self! I would never have guessed this was the same plant if I had not known. Her shape is almost unrecognizable.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Last is a seedling from USA bought seed that was supposed to be 'Terra Cotta Star' but looks more like 'Flamenco Queen' parentage. Disappointed after waiting so long for this one, as I have always admired 'Terra Cotta Star' and was hoping for something similar as we don't have it available here. At least the imposter has turned out to be a cheery bright flower.....

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Hi Julie,

Even though you say they're "stressed out and disappointing" I think they look glorious :-))) Again thank you for helping to brighten our gloomy November days with some much needed color.

• Earle
    4 years ago

I have to offer my thanks as well. Cold, cloudy and, sometimes, rainy here in New Hampshire. Really enjoying your marvelous images. Thanks for sharing.

Julie Wignell thanked Earle
  • Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm glad they have brought you both a little cheer into your winter months. There are not many left now, but I will keep posting as long as they keep blooming!

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    4 years ago

My thanks also. That seedling that didn't turn out, you did get a very nice picotee. That is the nature of our seedlings from what are already mostly hybrid strains, which is what many of our named varieties that are cultured vegetively are. Some types more apt to breed true than others.

Julie Wignell thanked OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
  • Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Almost finishing up now....here are some of the last -

Maguire's 'Brendan Paul'

A brave flowering of an unrooted ' Mandela' trying to do its best in the hot weather. Next year it should put on a good performance. The colour is a deep lush black/red and not the colour that shows on my camera.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is that 'Ada's Flower' seedling that I had last year with the starfish shape to the bloom. It is a very robust plant with many off-sets already.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sonatini 'Alaska'

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A young seedling of Maguire's 'Milady's Magic' looking very like it's parent. Next year should show better colouring, and hopefully some of it's siblings in the same pot will also flower.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And last, a unnamed/unknown orange....

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

.....also, I have only now noticed I have misnamed one of my Maguire's above. The 'Pink Perfection' should read 'Pink Supreme'!

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

Wow Julie, lots of beautiful spots!! Also love the ones you have with lots of veining.
    Funny isn't it how the flower can change from first bloom or when stressed.

• Fred Biasella
    4 years ago

Julie,

They're all very beautiful and thank you for sharing :-))))

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions