SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Real Plates for Church Functions

User
4 years ago

My thread on my using real plates for our Anniversary reception/Open House created some comments on real plates for church dinners, etc.

I am a proponent of real plates especially if they're dish washable! And ours at church are and we have a commercial dishwasher to boot!

When I took over as Kitchen Trustee, our funeral dinners and potlucks were served off of foam. That definitely was not to my liking so I changed that. We use real plates and real cutlery. The exception being small foam plates for desserts because we don't have any "real" small plates.

I was amazed at the comments by the families at our funeral dinners. "They're using real plates" I would hear over and over again. It was definitely noticed in today's styrofoam world!

We have a dishwasher crew whenever we do a dinner and that's their job -- load and unload the dishwasher. They're good at it and because it is a commercial one it takes a very short time to run a load.

Our exception is our Oktoberfest. Last year for the first time we used styrofoam. We had help issues (at church dinners people will bus their own dishes -- at a fundraiser where they pay, they won't) and didn't have anyone to bus the tables, so . . . we went to styrofoam. It did make it easier all the way around -- no dishwashers in the kitchen getting in the way of the servers (for ours is a small kitchen), no need for people to bus tables. And it is divided and with our menu, it keeps the sauerkraut away from the bierocks. Which really is a good thing.

I've gotten them all used to real plates and I think people appreciate it.

Now, the bane of my existence is plastic cutlery -- I don't think I've ever tried to eat a meal with a plastic fork that I don't break at least one tine!

Comments (16)