SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdevgryff

guidelines to colors that work together using chroma and color theory?

C DeV
4 years ago

Is there a way to ensure that two or three colors will harmonize and work together? I've read a lot about color theory and chroma. It's my understanding whites need to be at least .20 different in terms of chroma to work well. (correct me if I'm wrong)

How does that apply to various wall colors? Do I need to stick to the same hue family or do I need colors within a certain chroma range, or outside a chroma range?

For example I look at the fan deck and say I want to pick SW Kilm Beige 6106 for one room and SW Wordly Gray 7043 for another. In this case to me they don't look like nice together, but why not from a color perspective? Is it because the chroma is so different ( 1.02 difference) or is it because they are different HUE families?

And are there basic rules to show what white trim color would work best with a selected wall color? (Aside from having a keen eye)

I can look at paint chips, make sample boards yet I seem to be really challenged at seeing what works and what doesn't and was hoping there was a way to be able to narrow down color selection by using color theory knowledge.

Comments (21)