SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Real Plates for a Party

User
4 years ago

Notice the glass plates at the end of the table? I bought 50 of these 25 years ago for $1 each -- that's $50. Over the 25 years, we've used these plates countless times for parties, I often serve salads on them when I have lunch. I estimate that over the years that $50 investment has saved me at least $1200 over those years had I chose to use paper goods instead of "real" plates. I've not broken a one AND I've added about 5 that I found at flea markets and stuff for a lot less than the $1 each original cost. And I love to hear comments from guests . . . WOW! REAL plates!

Comments (48)

• OklaMoni
    4 years ago

Martha, I am with you. I use real plates too.

Moni

• Related Discussions

Don't want to use paper plates for your St. Pat Party?

Q

Comments (19)
    Nope. If they did have them, they're all gone now. Well, it was fun going there again. I know that I'll start visiting there regularly now that I know the fastest route to the place. They had a very poor section of St. Patrick things too. Said they wouldn't be getting any more in. It isn't even March yet, and they won't be getting in any more St. Patrick's stuff! Nuts to that. I also looked in the Mardi Gras section. Nothing on sale there. Did get four plaster-like crowns that were 50% off. Three were bright pink and one black. I plan to spray them gold and use them on next year's Mardi Gras table.
    ...See More

tea party time, by judith (virtual tea party)

Q

Comments (94)
    Betty, I LOVE the pink tablecloth in your tea setting. If you hadn't told us, I wouldn't have known it was plastic. It is such a pretty colour and goes so well with your beautiful dishes. What I find particularly appealing (besides sweet Hanna and the yummy food!) are the candlestick holders you used...I love candles of all sorts and those are great. Are they crystal? Thanks for keeping this post going, it's a good one! DD
    ...See More

Black or white tablecloths for outdoor party?

Q

Comments (41)
    I didn't get the chance to take any pre-party photos since I had several family members helping me set up and felt rather silly taking photos of the setup. However, the flowers are holding up great in the mason jars 5-days later--SIL thinks it may be due to the citrus in the water. I sent DS to choose flowers and he did a great job, keeping it simple. Here is one of the mason jars (5-days post party): DH has my camera with memory stick at the moment so when he gets back home I will look and see if there are any more pics there I can share.
    ...See More

Real Plates for Church Functions

Q

Comments (16)
    We have a professional dishwasher at my church and we know how to use it! Nothing worse than church coffee out of styrofoam cups. It's just such a bad habit to go to the quick paper solution so often!! The plates as long as they are sturdy are not a huge deal-for me and for most of our guests, but the flatware and cups, well REAL metal/ceramic are appreciated all the time every time. I am glad our ladies use metal flatware for funerals and last time we served coffee and rolls after Mass we got out the stoneware coffee cups. They were MUCH appreciated. It was about half hour more work--running them all through the dishwasher but well worth the time. And really when you think about the time it took to go BUY the paper...well sadly we are very short sighted on these matters way too often. For me it's about frequency of use. It's fabulous when people have the money and space for real dishes but when one entertains seldom and only on certain occasions the "real" is just not cost effective or practical for many. Schools, well that's a SIN to be daily using paper/plastic IMHO. Filling up landfills etc. I don't know the cost break on the man power to wash vs the paper/plastic costs but the environmental impact has to be worth the cost in that context. That and the lesson our kids are absorbing. We are a disposable society and it isn't serving us well in many situations.
    ...See More
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I noticed the lovely plates in your previous post. Your tables are always gracious.

User thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Martha, I did the same. I can’t remember how many I have, but it’s close to 50. And I paid the same $1 apiece at a China/glass outlet place that used to be fairly close to us.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We had close to 100 guests and only 50 plates so the high school girl I hired would pick up the used ones, wash them and put them back on the table so it worked. Once we were done, we put all of the dirties in the dishwasher.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

A lovely room and setting.

Preferences vary but I'd rather my hosts emphasize the food and drink instead of spending brain power and time on appearances. If that means disposable plates and plastic cups, fine. That's what we do with a party crowd because fast cleanup makes us more willing to do it.

• joyfulguy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Greetings Martha Scott,

If/when one drops a paper plate ...

... it ain't broke ...

... but some may be close to it, if they've been usin' 'em for parties for 25 years (more or less).

I'm substantially unhappy when using a paper plate at a luncheon, especially in church when there's a stack or two a foot high of tea plates in a cupboard nearby.

It might help if a new custom started of sharing cleanup duties to ease the load on the hostess.

Actually, that'd be a "renewed' custom, for they didn't have paper plates, when I was a kid.

In those days three small, covered, rubber-tired wagons, each pulled by a single horse, went down the streets of most of our cities, one carrying bread, one milk and one ice ... for the ice boxes, just before the time when they began building residential refrigerators. Back just before they found how to make - and keep - ice cream.

We country residents kept perishables in a pan of cool water in the basement - if we had one.

We kept frozen meat from a killed cow or pig, sometimes shared, and some of our veggies from summer in a locker in a recently established freezer in the basement of the cooperative store in our village nearby. That lasted for only a few years until refrigerators in homes became fairly common. A substantial number of the early-manufactured refrigerators served for 40 years.

Many veggies and fruits were home-canned, in bottles, sometimes with neighbours helping, back and forth.

ole joyful

User thanked joyfulguy
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

For me, the table setting is part of the atmosphere for the party. I love using real plates and your table looks beautiful.

User thanked Fun2BHere
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

Anglophile, I had to look up "epergne". Eight bowls! It must have been beautiful! (Harking back to the thread on living in bygone days--can you imagine the parties epergnes saw? If they could only talk, lol!)

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

Beautiful dining room, Martha. I have never seen this view and love the fireplace! I never use paper or plastic either.

User thanked Bonnie
  • colleenoz
    4 years ago

Years ago I bought a stack of china plates and also bowls for $1 each at IKEA, because I dislike paper plates and also because it's kinder to the environment. We always use real plates, even for picnics, and I don't find the clean up particularly onerous.

I figured that even if I broke some of the plates they were cheap and easy to replace, but I haven't broken any yet!

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

If paper plates, they're the heavier duty kind and usually on some form of basketry so that they're firm and substantial. If not, plastic plates work well enough.

• Chi
    4 years ago

I use paper plates when I host Thanksgiving. I learned the hard way that my guests don't know how to treat the china that my grandma gave me. One accidentally broke a bowl by dropping a knife on it, and someone else put a plate in the microwave and it sparked.

Instead of embarrassing my guests (and losing more pieces), I just changed to disposable and it works better for everyone. I still use cloth napkins and real silverware. I have no desire to buy and store a second set of real plates as we don't entertain enough to warrant it, and I don't have enough of our everyday stuff to cover a holiday crowd.

• susie53_gw
    4 years ago

Our daughter has my china and my moms. They look lovely together.. I had only used it a few times.. my brother-in-law was In Korea in 1968. He sent home a book for my mom, my sister and me to pick out a pattern. He sent them home to each of us.. when we cleaned out my mom’s house I bought her set. My niece kind of wanted it but I knew she would sell it.. I didn’t want it to get out of the family...

• Anne
    4 years ago

I love using "real" plates. Real china is limited to 12 or so just because it is delicate to stack, etc until it can be cleaned and my kitchen is tiny ( I live in a pre Civil War era home.) I do have a bunch of carnival glass and odds and ends I like to use for parties.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Martha, I saw the photos from your party and your table looked lovely. And I so appreciate 'real' plates with buffet. Or sit down, or for anything at all. What a great investment those plates have been for you. Smart girl.

I can cover 33 without borrowing, but 18 of one pattern and 15 of another. Which is OK, we seldom entertain really formally.

But, two of DH's sisters have the same buffet plates in large numbers. Truthfully, one of them could successfully cater, she's so clever at pulling together large gatherings, knowing how much, how to display artfully...talents way beyond my skills. But between the two of them, I think there are approx 150 clear glass same size plates counting those they added when helping a niece with her reception last summer. I'm welcome to borrow and do, both live within walking distance.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

It depends on the reason for the gathering, if it is inside or out, what foods I am serving and my mood as if I use paper or real plates. The best sturdy paper plates I have found is from all places the Dollar Tree. 10 in a pack for $1.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

When I have hosted an informal do like a picnic on the river or outside I use the large collection of white Corelle plates I found at a thrift store while on a trip. the large plates. I got maybe 30 or so and also had I think ten smaller ones. That takes care of grownups and kids. For formal I use my good china. If I use it it will break but I got it because the original owner obviously never used it. I once had beautiful china, silver, and crystal and every sort of lace and linen. My house burned down. If I hadn't used it it would have been wasted. I used it for Sunday dinner even when I didn't have company. It is a thing with me. Do what works for you.

• jill302
    4 years ago

Love using “real” plates for most of our entertaining. However, 4th of July party we do use paper plates. Big group, very casual day and it just fits.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

And at our church where they have HUNDREDS of real stoneware plates/cups/serving dishes they leave them in the cupboards and use paper at funerals. :(

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Your table is lovely, Martha, and I would imagine it's a real treat to attend a gathering at your house.

I think both "real" and paper have their place, depending on event. There doesn't have to be a one size fits all mandate, and that makes choice another thing of beauty.

User thanked IdaClaire
  • Alisande
    4 years ago

Beautiful room, Martha, and I'm sure I'd love the rest of your house too!

• runninginplace
    4 years ago

Martha, I bought those style glass plates years ago at a Bed Bath and Beyond sale-got 25 dinner plates for I think $2/each then a few years later came across a cache of 25 salad plates there for a buck each. I have used them for holidays and gatherings for years. I love glass because it is a universal party item....they look so nice for everything from a family bbq to a holiday gathering.

In fact as part of my culling process when we moved I donated my Lenox china set. It was beautiful and I had gotten 12 place settings as a wedding gift but we literally never used it. As time went on and I became the designated hostess for our large family, we always had more than that at any party so glass it was.

Now that we're in the Keys I bought about 30 tropical printed style melamine plates like theseat an outlet store down here. They are perfect for our outdoor patio parties since they are unbreakable. I'll still haul out the glass beauties though at Thanksgiving and Christmas. No reason not to be a little fancy even if the meal is served under a palm tree next to the pool!

User thanked runninginplace
  • chisue
    4 years ago

I'm sad to read the Chi can't use her good china because guests are so clueless. That's been my experience over the last decade -- with the exception of 'ladies of a certain age' (like me)!

If indeed paper plates are 'just fine' why do people expect better when they go out to eat in a nice restaurant? Yes, paper is 'good enoough' for very casual things...and first anniversaries?

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Real plates for me, too. My MIL had a business for years that sold china, crystal and silver, so we have quite an ample supply. Over the years I've also accumulated plenty of plain white tableware that I tend to use the most. It's great for casual and formal events, and, to me, food just tends to look better on white dishes.

Martha, that table and room look lovely. Truly fitting for a 50th anniversary. I just might ask for your help for ours in another 8 years. :-)

• Rusty
    4 years ago

First of all, Martha, your home is beautiful! ! I've really enjoyed the pictures you've posted. And I commend you on not only saving all that money by buying and using glass, but also on keeping a considerable amount of trash out of the landfills!

I confess, I do use a paper plate occasionally, although never for entertaining. Yes, they are very convenient at times, and do have their place in this world. It is just sad that that place ends up being a landfill. And adding that trash to the landfills bothers me a great deal. It's hard to believe a public organization such as a church would be so inconsiderate of God's creations that they would purposely add to the landfill when they have 'real' dishes available.

Rusty

User thanked Rusty
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

At Christmas we do use real plates at my youngest daughter's and for Thanksgiving my daughter in law uses real plates. I used to but if I were having it today, the foam plates are the route I would take. Now if I felt like all the lifting and putting them in the dishwasher and putting them away, yes I would use real plates. You table looks very nice.

Sue

User thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

Another vote for real plates.

User thanked graywings123
  • C Marlin
    4 years ago

Just had brunch for 12 on my deck, I bought a 18 Corelle plates to use outside by our pool. I like it much more than paper plates.

User thanked C Marlin
  • C Marlin
    4 years ago

I use cheap, cheap thin paper plates for creating a double boiler to melt chocolate, Alton Brown told me to do it.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

Real china plates!...and sterling silver knives and forks. Years ago I bought a stack of white Ranson pattern Haviland plates for a buck each....to supplement my Mason's vista for a party. And over the years I have added and added both Haviland and Hutchenruther, I know have easily 65 white china plates and another dozen white with a gold rim....and 55 place settings of sterling. and boxes of wine glasses. When I have a buffet party for 25 to 100, the only cost for disposables is napkins. While I likely have 75 white linen napkins, I am not ironing them for that many people! I figure that over the years I have saved hundreds....and thrown some pretty classy parties!! Sorry guys, paper is just plain tacky....and foam plastic even worse!! And don't even mention plastic flatware!! If you don't want to buy silver, there are very VERY inexpensive stainless pieces on Restaurant ware sites.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, Linda -- a friend of mine has cloth cocktail napkins and the last time she tried to use them, no one would take them because they were cloth! So I'm not sure what they wiped their hands on! She still chuckles about that party!

• sjerin
    4 years ago

I have had a dozen small glass plates as above and usually use the for dessert, when we have company for dinner. They've held up for at least 25 or 30 years now. I squirm when I have to use plastic plates, cups or cutlery at someone's house because that stuff will be in the landfill forevermore.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Who washes all those plates? I can't just leave dirty dishes sit in the kitchen until guests leave. The pots and pans get washed and the dishwasher is filled and ran before I can sit down with guests. If I had 25 + dishes to wash I would never get to enjoy my family and friends after dinner. I don't want guests to do dishes. They are there to visit not work.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I expect BOTH the food served and the things on which they are served/eaten to be the BEST at any party I host! It's no "either/or" for me! For me, how a meal is served does affect how it tastes. There are nights when the most I can find the energy to fix is an Amy's Indian frozen dinner, but it goes on my everyday china and is eaten with a fork, and I add plain yoghurt and mango chutney. I also use a cloth napkin in a silver napkin ring. I would NEVER just eat it out of the paper container in which it is put in the microwave! I still have a few stands and some dignity left! When I don't, then please just shoot me!

I cannot imagine a guest coming into my kitchen and putting a plate into the microwave! One reason I'm NOT a fan of "open concept"! I want to keep guest OUT of my kitchen!

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Function -- for this party, I had a high school girl in the kitchen. She would go around and pick up the used plates, wash and dry them and then put them back on the table. Towards the end of the party, she would rinse and put in the dishwasher so that when the party ended all she had to do was pick up 10 to 15 plates here and there (inside and out) and put those in the DW. She put food away and then I hand washed the serving dishes and the punch bowls. She was a lifesaver and worth every penny I paid her!

• Chi
    4 years ago

Yeah I was pretty surprised when he put my china in the microwave. I think he also learned a lesson that day when the sparks started!

I remembered I have a stack of cheap but pretty glass plates left over from my wedding. Maybe I can use those this year.

• Chi
    4 years ago

That's such a good idea, Martha. I wish I could hire someone like that for Thanksgiving but I'd feel bad taking them from family. I have to leave the kitchen until the next morning as I just don't have the energy after cooking and hosting all day.

• C Marlin
    4 years ago

I have no problem leaving dirty dishes in my sink or dishwasher, I rarely wash dishes while dinner guests are in my home, I want to enjoy their company. I never clean up my meal prep before sitting down with guests. Each of us just entertain differently, there is not one right way. Most important is taking care of guests graciously.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Chi, anyone who would take the gig would be grateful for the money. Hiring people is helpful.

PS It's not as though you were this helper's regular employer taking a worker away from the festivities. You would more likely be helping someone reach a goal.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

When we did graduation open houses we used high quality disposable plates but real flat ware. People are pretty forgiving of disposable as long as they are sturdy but flatware is another story...the plastic just don't cut it!!

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, and I'm not an open concept house and I have a door between dining room and kitchen so the kitchen and dirty dishes can be shut off! That's always been important to me. (You can see it in the picture -- it's just beyond the fireplace)

• C Marlin
    4 years ago

If I washed all my pots and pans and filled the dishwasher before sitting down to eat my food would be cold.

User thanked C Marlin
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I wash pots, pans, and dishes after eating. How could I load the dishwasher if the plates arn't even dirty yet. I want the kitchen to be cleaned up as much as possible before I sit down with the guests after the meal. Even though I have a closed kitchen I can't stand dirty dishes sitting on the counter.

User thanked functionthenlook
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

"Standards" (I assume that's what was meant by "stands" upthread) and "dignity" have nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you eat out of a cardboard container. I'm sure we all know that, but was still a little surprised to see it actually written above. A bologna sandwich on white bread presented on a paper napkin would be received with gratitude by people in your very own community, I assure you. Consider yourself fortunate beyond measure if you have the option of only having "the best", and try not to jokingly ask to be shot if such fortune ever fails you.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

IdaClaire, am I taking food out of the mouths of those in need in my community, if I choose NOT to eat on paper and use my dishes and silverware? I'm not insensitive to the needs of others, but this reminds me of when I was a child being told to "Think of the starving Armenians!" when I didn't clean my plate. First of all, I had no idea what an Armenian even was - animal, person? I lived in the midwest and if there were Armenians there, I was not aware of it. And they were not the ones starving! I never could understand how my not eating all my dinner caused these "starving Armenians" further harm?

I am very well aware that I am a blessed woman. I am blessed with family, friends, food, a lovely home, and enough money to pay my bills each month. But I do have my own standards in my own house and I don't want to quit carrying about them. I'm not talking about my "fortune" failing me - it's about the "caring" For me, that's losing interest in life and living. It may not be to others, but it is to me. Have you seen that Covergirl cosmetic commercial on TV with the clearly older woman (she's actually 70), all made up who says, "They say at some age you just stop caring. I wonder what age that is?" I don't wear make-up (it's not that I don't care, I've just not worn it in decades and prefer that way), but I still DO care about the way I live and eat. I can do that and still care about the needs of others.

• Chi
    4 years ago

It's more that when you say something like this: "I would NEVER just eat it out of the paper container in which it is put in the microwave! I still have a few stands and some dignity left! When I don't, then please just shoot me!"

Then it implies that those of us who eat from microwave containers (which I do sometimes - why dirty more dishes?) have no standards or dignity. Plenty of others here have conveyed that they prefer eating off of real plates without insulting those who aren't as particular.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

I like any party. Paper, plastic, glass or china works for me. (I also will drink beer out of a can if a red solo cup is not available.) I’m thankful we are still invited and those who are invited to our house enjoy the time there.

hint. If you don’t have 100 china plates for a party, renting them is not too expensive...

User thanked maddielee
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH