This is eerie but true...just in time for halloween

Annie Deighnaugh

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/dead-bodies-move

An Australian scientist has found that human bodies move for more than a year after being pronounced dead. These findings could have implications for fields as diverse as pathology to criminology....

The researchers mostly expected some kind of movement during the very early stages of decomposition, but Wilson further explained that their continual movement completely surprised the team:

"We think the movements relate to the process of decomposition, as the body mummifies and the ligaments dry out."

During one of the studies, arms that had been next to the body eventually ended up akimbo on their side.

I remember my GF's mom who was a doctor saying that in anatomy class there is a nerve in the hand that if touched will cause the hand on the cadaver to close...but hadn't thought about the body moving as it decomposed. No wonder people believed in vampires and such.

SaveComment11Like1
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arcy_gw

yep yep, shrinking muscles and tendons...

Save    
Michele

Ugh! Gives me the creeps!

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Interesting.

Save    
graywings123

Creepy to think about.

Save    
Judy Good

It is very interesting for sure. Especially after I just had a dream/nightmare of dead people getting out of the coffin walk around (but not alive) and go back to the coffin. Why does a mind do that to me LOL One of the strangest dreams of late.

Save    
Michele

I agree that it is interesting for sure.

Save    
yeonassky

I find it interesting as well. It doesn't creep me out for some reason. I guess real life really is stranger than fiction.

Save    
Rusty

Hmmmm. . . , Interesting. It kind of makes sense when you really think about it.

Rusty

Save    
dedtired

I did not need to know that!

Save    
patriciae_gw

That is why they used to bind bodies for burial. that bandage around the head and jaw was to keep the mouth from opening as the tongue swelled. I plan on being cremated but you don't want to hear what happens when you do that.

Save    
maifleur01

I agree patriciae. However having grown up with stories of John Stink someone that my dad knew. Although it is not normally done in this state I would like to be embalmed before I am cremated just to be sure.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fall Gardening 10 Boo-tiful Black Plants for Halloween
Dramatic and just a bit eerie, these inky plants set the right Halloween mood in a garden or on a patio
Full Story
Halloween Get Halloween-Ready with Bone-Chilling Decor
Halloween decorating: Add eerie photos, unnerving props, and turn out the lights!
Full Story
Life True Confessions of a House Stalker
Letting go when a new owner dares to change a beloved house's look can be downright difficult. Has this ever happened to you?
Full Story