SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Ikea - 5" drawer above a single dishwasher *drawer*?

AMS
4 years ago

Hi all,

Waffle McChangerson here - I keep coming up with new ideas for my layout. Today's features a single dishwasher drawer (24" wide by ~18" tall), rather than an 18" wide full height DW. I went to Ikea today and spent 2 hours with a planner - it was incredibly helpful. The Ikea employee told me that it *was* possible to have a single dishwasher drawer and have storage below it. This sounded super cool to me, though it means I would have to have a 12" pull out next to it, and my flatware would need to be stored in a 5" drawer to the left of the sink. See drawing below.

However, when I got home, I thought to my self: why can't there be one 5" drawer above the dishwasher drawer (for my flatware), and one 5" drawer below the dishwasher? This seems absolutely ideal for me. However, I couldn't see this option in the planner. I looked at a drawing of the 24" base cabinet and it looks possible, but I thought I'd phone a friend. Do any of you know? I will go back to Ikea later this week to ask if no one knows...

Comments (65)

• shead
    4 years ago

If you don’t need the dishwasher, install a 24” cabinet in its place so if you do sell, it gives future buyers the option of adding one later.

AMS thanked shead
  • Moxie
    4 years ago

If you need a smaller dishwasher, you might consider an 18" wide model. Miele has one. The drawer dishwashers are just too flaky!

AMS thanked Moxie
  • Related Discussions

single dishwasher drawer - installed in lower part of cab?

Q

Comments (1)
    In case you need to save place it's a nice idea. Just make sure the drawer height plus compact oven height don't exceed your cabinets height. Otherwise if you have plenty of place, the single dishdrawer raised up close to the worktop is more user friendly, expecially if you're tall Candy group produces similar already-made matches : dishwasher + oven and dishwasher + oven + cooktop IMHO 2 separate units (as you're thinking about) is a better idea : usually dishwashers have a shorter lifespan than ovens. In these Candy units when the DW is KO one has to replace the whole multiple appliance
    ...See More

Single drawer dishwasher UNDER a prep sink?

Q

Comments (22)
    Very glad I saw this site. I am designing a kitchen in a 7' x 4'-6" space in a Brooklyn apartment. I'm considering the Fisher Paykel single drawer DW installed installed beneath a standard, undermounted 24" wide SS sink in a 36" wide base cabinet with a stack of 8" wide (Inside) drawers to one side. I see no difference here (ergonomically) from bending to fill/empty an regular front loading DW. I could do without a DW but resale is a concern at some point. Since we're all going full electric in the near future. I'm thinking of getting a 24" induction stove/cook top. The cook top would provide additional space to do food prep, etc. Anyone have experience with induction cook tops? Thanks.
    ...See More

Family of 5.....Dishwasher Drawers??

Q

Comments (24)
    I have a set of dishdrawers, tall tub on top. We are a family of 5. Although we bought them when the kids were not here 100% of the time. But when they do all come home, there is usually more than just 5 of us, there is 6,7, or 8 depending on who is bringing whom home. What I like is that we can run it after prepping. And then after dinner, it is done, we can load up the other drawer, run it, empty the first one, and then fill it with dessert dishes and anything else that is left over from the prep and serving. Do you ever run out of stuff when serving big dinners, like forks or spoons, and you find yourself hand washing them so you have them for dessert? You can run the fast cycle and they will be ready in time. There is a learning curve on loading them so you can max out the space most efficiently. Once you have that down, you will not look back. Mine are not that noisy, yes, I can hear it, but just at certain parts of the cycle. And as far as installation, it's worth having the pro who really knows how to install it do it. I've never had a problem because my guys were fantastic. Next house? 2 single tall dishdrawers, one on each side of the sink. :)
    ...See More

Looking for Reviews of Ikea Sektion Drawer-Within-a-Drawer

Q

Comments (6)
    I have had the Sektion drawer in drawers since April. Overall, I really like them. I don't find them cumbersome to use. It is easier to keep the items you use most often in the bottom section so that you don't have to then pull out the top section to grab something. When you open the drawer, the main drawer (bottom) is exposed. To get at the interior drawer, you have to then pull that one open. I don't think you can "lock" the top drawer so that it's the first one you see when you open it, but you can kind of grab it as you're opening the main drawer so they both open at once. I do like that I can separate things so that I don't have one huge drawer with too much stuff in it. For example, I have my baking utensils in the top drawer, then my general utensils in the bottom. Every single top drawer you see in my kitchen has a drawer within a drawer. The lower drawers are just regular drawers. In the island, I have my pot lids in the top interior drawer and my pots below them in the main drawer. It works really well to keep things organized. One note, which IKEA may have addressed by now: The screws from the cabinet hardware stick out and bump up against the interior drawer, causing the paint to rub off. I bought some adhesive drawer bumpers to prevent this. I've attached a photo showing this. And I'll also attach some photos of the kitchen itself, which I am super happy with. Happy to answer any other questions!
    ...See More
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I definitely want a dishwasher - I've lived without one for over 18 months and I'm not a fan. And yes, @Moxie, I am back to considering an 18" - that was my plan all along, until I thought I could do a single drawer. I'll probably do the Bosch though, not Miele.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

My DishDrawer is 16+ years old. It has had a few simple repairs (all DIYed). I don't consider it "flaky" by any measure.

18" dishwashers are not a good choice ... unless one absolutely must have a dishwasher and there's absolutely no other option. They're expensive in comparison to 24" units, and tend to be more cramped on racking utility than users expect.

Anyway, sounds like the other responders have made up your mind for you. :-)

AMS thanked dadoes
  • traci_from_seattle
    4 years ago

The single drawer is meant to allow for a cabinet drawer, but I don’t know if you can do one above and below (they’re usually shown with one cabinet drawer below). I would check with F&P.

I have the drawers, installed about a year ago (store installers didn’t seem to have a problem). I love them, but I will admit they haven’t worked perfectly. There are times the dishes don’t get clean, but I think that might be user area of filling them too full. I would still get them again because they work better for my space than a full size.

• AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you @dadoes - I really appreciate your appliance advice, and I can be convinced either way - don't let me give up on my dish drawer dream :) Do you also have a single drawer, or do you have the 2-drawer stack? I'm curious to hear more about why an 18" DW should be a last resort - I have looked at a few of the 18" DWs in person (in a store) and they do look cramped, but I assumed it was an optical illusion :) I guess I do have room for a 24" - well, some would say that. I have a very small kitchen (9x9 - see other thread here: link to thread ), but it's not as small as some of the micro kitchens in NYC apartments. Side note: I have to admit I like the drawers because the "cool factor" is just so high :)

@traci_from_seattle - thanks for sharing your experience! My father has the dish drawer stack too and had some issues early on with washing - after that he switched to the Finish tabs and it has gotten better.

• AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For those that support the idea of a single dishwasher drawer, do you have ideas how I can make it work with IKEA kitchens? The DW drawer specs suggest it won't fit into the 24" base cabinet (because the DW requires a cabinet opening of 23 5/8 wide).

Would it be possible to create base cabinet that is only 5" drawers high (e.g., the cabinet box is 10" tall rather than 30"), so that it creates a solid platform with a width of 24" for the DW to rest on?

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

As long as you have cabinets on either side, and have carpentry skills/tools, this is not too bad of a hack. You need a solid “shelf “ to span the 24” opening and then cut down a base cabinet to the required height to fit bellow. Then you can use standard drawer glides inside and a drawer front .

However, you may not end up with enough room for a standard drawer front due to the height.

AMS thanked ulisdone
  • bens bride
    4 years ago

I don't know anything about this configuration personally, but what about putting a dishwasher under the sink? Here's a blog post about it... https://www.notjustahousewife.net/under-sink-dishwasher/

Also, I love my 36" Sektion all-drawer base cabinets. Strongly encourage you to use them, but I don't know why you'd want wire baskets.

AMS thanked bens bride
  • dadoes
    4 years ago

My DishDrawer is a double-drawer unit.

To clarify a common misconception ... double-drawer units are not two single units stacked together. They are built as a double-drawer unit, like a two-drawer filing cabinet, and cannot be separated. Two single-drawer units could be installed in a stacked configuration but that is not the same thing as a double-drawer unit.

AMS thanked dadoes
  • wdccruise
    4 years ago

"what about putting a dishwasher under the sink?"

GE makes one under-the-sink dishwasher. The sink installed above it must be very shallow and you can't stand in front of the sink while loading the dishwasher which is very inconvenient.

"I don't know why you'd want wire baskets."

They're great because you can easily see everything that's stored in them and they don't gather dust.

"I love my 36" Sektion all-drawer base cabinets..."

Understood but using two 18" cabinets does allow more flexibility in internal components. For example, in one cabinet you could have several internal drawers placed close together for shallow things such as skillets and sheet pans, while in the second cabinet you could have fewer drawers spaced further apart for taller items such as bowls.

I'd still stick with the 18" or 24" dishwasher. Several manufacturers make them and you won't have to fool around with the cabinets. CR doesn't test 18" dishwashers but Bosch does well and the Bosch 300 series is $759 though the Frigidaire 1800 series is well-like by owners for $489.

AMS thanked wdccruise
  • bens bride
    4 years ago

wdccruise do you have Sektion cabinets?

• Fori
    4 years ago

Dish drawers are awesome. The carpentry required to stick one between drawers might be beyond the average IKEA DIYer but it would be a pretty nice layout.

They do not spit out a large amount of steam because they don't have a heated dry cycle (same as European DWs) but there will be some moisture. They (used to--probably still do) come with a sticker to apply to the underside of whatever is above them. Use it. Problem solved.

The advantage of a single drawer over an 18"er is that if required for resale, the drawer (and whatever is above/below it) can be replaced with a standard DW.

AMS thanked Fori
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for weighing in! This is tough :) In theory, the best design for my unique needs would be a single DW drawer with a 5" tall drawer above it for cutlery, and a 5" drawer below it for... whatever (napkins, saran wrap, trivets etc.). The Ikea cabinet config for this won't work as I understand it because the top drawer requires a cabinet for support, but the DW drawer can't fit in the cabinet (too wide).

Which means I could probably still do a DW drawer with two 5" drawers below it, if the base cabinet was modified to be more of a platform rather than a cabinet. This means my cutlery goes to the other side of the kitchen (a whopping 3 feet away). Or I do an 18" DW. I have mentioned many times that the 'cool' factor of the DW drawer is intoxicating. And I don't need a big dishwasher. I'm going to have to talk to my installer (who has done 1 or two Ikea kitchens before but is not an expert).

• AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow, thanks @shead - I didn't even know those existed! My kitchen isn't so small that I need to consider an under the sink solution - in fact, if I was willing to have a smaller sink base (24") I could fit a 'normal' 24" DW and a 15" drawer stack to the right of it. So I'm not that limited. I just want a DW drawer. and a 30" sink base. There. I said it. :) I should go to a store and see if it would be terrible to have my cutlery drawer be one of the 5" drawers below the DW drawer. I mean, I know it's not conventional, but it's creative! I guess I can also reconsider a 24" sink base, but it would mean a smaller sink, and would likely mean I couldn't fit trash/recydling under the sink and would have to put it in a 15" pullout and my 36" wide base to the left of the sink would become a 15" and a 24".

Does anyone have a 24" sink base, and is it worth it to get a 24" DW? I don't think so...?

• bens bride
    4 years ago

My sister-in-law opted for a 24" Sektion sink base using the now discontinued farmhouse style sink. She wanted storage over a bigger sink. I asked her if she was happy with that choice and she said yes. However, I never see much stuff in their sink and think they're pretty good about putting stuff straight into the DW.

I have the same 24" base and farmhouse sink in my laundry room. I can't speak to it's function in the kitchen, but I would think you could get the pull out configuration and put trash and recycling in there just fine.

AMS thanked bens bride
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I live alone and run my dishwasher once weekly. Yes, I DO rinse them before putting them in the DW as they would smell and I don't want dried on food on them. It's really not a big deal. And occasionally, I run it daily if I have house guests or entertain.

AMS thanked Anglophilia
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm going to try to drag out this drawer over a DW drawer thought experiment a bit more. I have never hung IKEA cabinets before so I expect you to tell me it's ridiculous, but:

Let's assume I'm not worried about steam, and I'll buy a spare 5" drawer and front just in case.

For the 5" drawer above the DW drawer, could I just make a very short (like, 5" top to bottom) 24" base cabinet that hangs on the rail, and then also make another very short 24" base cabinet that hangs from it's own separate rail that is placed like 10" off the ground (I haven't done the math yet), that also has feet below it, and use the special "heavy duty shelf" from IKEA that is used for wall ovens? This means the DW is resting on a strong, 24" wide platform that has a 5" drawer below it, which itself is supported by it's own rail and the feet of the cabinets. The 5" drawer above the DW is suspended from the rail all the other base cabinets are hanging on. It won't have additional support from feet, but it won't be that heavy either...

• bens bride
    4 years ago

I'm not sure I'm following exactly, but you can't put a 24" wide cabinet inside a 24" wide cabinet. Have you been told a 24 inch base with a drawer above the dishwasher isn't sturdy enough?

AMS thanked bens bride
  • dadoes
    4 years ago

I have one of those compact countertop dishwashers (different brand than linked). The capacity is very limited.

AMS thanked dadoes
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ah, I don't mean within each other, but like the picture below (click on it to enlarge) - I used different colors for the cabinets to show where side walls are absent (e.g, no side walls in the middle portion of the 24" wide space):

And no, I haven't been told that it wouldn't be sturdy enough. It's just that I couldn't use an unmodified 24" cabinet, because it's too narrow. So I'd need a 24" short cabinet below that acted as a platform, then an open space (no cabinet sides) for the DW, and then above the DW another short 24" wide cabinet. Eg, two cabinets with a space in between that has no side walls. I think. I mean, I'm really just making this up on the fly.

• bens bride
    4 years ago

Oooooh. Okay. Sorry. Would it be easier to hack a 36" base that has a 5" drawer at the top? Skip the 12".

AMS thanked bens bride
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Woah, bens bride you just blew my mind! I need some time to recover and think about this. :) BTW, is ben short for benje? It's good to see you back!

• bens bride
    4 years ago

Yes! It's me <3

I've run out of kitchens to design for friends, family, neighbors. Instead of asking strangers in the grocery store if I can come over and draw up a plan for them, I thought I'd check in here.

I couldn't log on with my old account--maybe I'm on a naughty list--so I created this.

If you love a dish drawer, you should totally go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

AMS thanked bens bride
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmmm, the worst that could happen - a kitchen flood just flashed before my eyes :)

You know, for a hot minute Fisher Paykel actually did make a 36" wide DW drawer.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

I have a single dishwasher drawer (Fisher Paykel) with a drawer below it. The drawer below is 6 1/2” high. There is no way to squeeze two drawers into this space.

AMS thanked Nidnay
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for sharing @Nidnay!! This is so helpful! I do see that you have framed cabinetry and I would have frameless which may make a difference, but this demonstrates the point very well. Would I do it if I could only have one drawer... maybe? If you care to share, why did you decide to go with a single DW drawer? Is this your primary kitchen?

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Well.....I have three dishwashers :) .....two single Fisher Paykel drawers (one in our island in the kitchen and one in our pantry/scullery) and another full size Bosch also in the kitchen.

AMS thanked Nidnay
  • shead
    4 years ago

Hmm, could you hack an over-the-refrigerator cabinet that is 36" W x 20" H x 24" D down to 24"W x (however tall you need it) x 24" D?

AMS thanked shead
  • Fori
    4 years ago

Let me just point out that having your cutlery stored 3 feet away is not a big deal. Mine is further and I didn't know it was a problem!

The FP dish drawers have a VERY portable basket. Just carry it those 3 feet and be done with it.

AMS thanked Fori
  • Fori
    4 years ago

(Also note how Nidnay's cabinetry is not the slightest bit damaged above the DD. A drawer front would suffer the same, that is to say, not at all.)

AMS thanked Fori
  • shead
    4 years ago

Okay, after going back to your previous thread, you mentioned that you're using the Axstad doors and drawers from IKEA, which are a foil door. I would NOT want any foil door directly above the dishwasher because the steam will likely cause it to defoil/delaminate itself over time. You'd be better to keep the two drawers underneath. However, I might would prefer one 10" drawer versus two 5" drawers.

I'm thinking that if you purchased a 36" wide by 20" tall OTF cabinet, you can hack it down to 24" interior width. You could purchase a second 36" wide by 16" tall OTF cabinet and hack it down to where, when stacked under the 20" tall cabinet, you have 30" from top to bottom. You should then be able to use two 5" drawers or one 10" drawer UNDER the dishwasher drawer. You could then use end panels on each side of the configuration for a cleaner look.

AMS thanked shead
  • ulisdone
    4 years ago

all you need for a drawer is to attach 2 cuts of cabinet sides to the outside walls of the adjacent cabinets. Then fasten the drawer glides to that. You don't need a cabinet top or bottom. Base cabinets don't actually have a top.

But you can‘t use the IKEA oven shelf because it fits inside a 24” cabinet and you need more space. So just fasten some cleats and a plywood shelf, again into the outside walls of the adjacent cabinets.

If there is space at the bottom, use the cut off bottom of a 24” cabinet ( from which you cut the upper strips for the top drawer). This would include a bottom, 2 shortened sides, and legs for the front toe kick to fasten to.

You may need a trim piece on this bottom section.

Clear as mud, huh :)

AMS thanked ulisdone
  • wdccruise
    4 years ago

Another possibility:Bosch 18-inch panel-ready dishwasher with IKEA 18" x 30" cabinet door to match other kitchen cabinet doors. Door would have to be shortened and only a flat door could be used.

AMS thanked wdccruise
  • Lisa
    4 years ago

If it were my kitchen I would opt for the 18" wide DW and the 18" set of drawers. It will take less time to fill but will still allow for more room if you have people over or if you are doing some weekend cooking.

Also, I have the 12" pullout in my laundry room, and it is fine for that purpose, but I REALLY prefer the drawers over a pull out. The storage may end up being equivalent (or close) with the 2 scenarios, but the ability to access things will be easier in the regular cabinet as opposed to a pullout and drawers that are above or below the DW.

That just seems like a simpler solution to me and one that should still give you maximum storage without giving up to much space to the DW.

AMS thanked Lisa
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your continued thoughts on this! I have to admit, @Lisa I had always planned for an 18" DW, it was the practical thing to do, my neighbor has one for a family of 4 and it works (my block is fully of tiny kitchens) and it was responsible. However, the allure of the drawer is strong. I don't want to build my kitchen around rare events (e.g., a dinner party where I wish I had 3 dishwashers like @Nidnay :)), but also don't want to be irresponsible and build around a single appliance. Side note: I will have so much more usable storage with this kitchen compared to my current (and did I mention I have an unfinished basement that has oodles of storage?), that I really want to make this little luxury work. That said, I'm also practical and don't want to make a dumb mistake, lest internet friends make fun of me behind my back. :)

@ulisdone - I totally get what you're saying!! I didn't realize it could work that way (only need sides to attach). Is it OK that I"m willing to devote a lot of my spare time to making sure this works (math etc.)?

@shead - yes, I'll be using Axstad, foil doors. I know the steam could wreck them. In other news, a 5" tall, 24" wide Axstad drawer front is $37. I might be willing to risk it in the name of science. :)

• AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also @Nidnay - which is your favorite dishwasher? :)

• shead
    4 years ago

Just buy a couple in advance and store under the bed in case IKEA decides to discontinue them :)

I am a planning to use the Axstad in my laundry room and kid bathrooms :)

AMS thanked shead
  • Nidnay
    4 years ago

Love, love, love the drawers! They are the ones that get used daily and the Bosch is basically for the overflow.

AMS thanked Nidnay
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

If you find yourself hacking IKEA to that degree? And for a thermofoil door? I really think that a local custom cabinet make should be explored to give you exactly what you want. The difference won’t be that great.

AMS thanked User
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User - thank you for being a voice of reason! I have gotten one quote for custom - it was about $2000 more than IKEA (once I factor in installation) but it was for framed cabinetry, and I really want frameless. I have had a hard time finding custom frameless in Minnesota, though I suppose I could do 100% Scherr's (RTA frameless out of North Dakota), but that would probably end up being more than local custom [framed] once I factor in installation costs. I have some thinking to do...

• Moxie
    4 years ago

@AMS Try Great Woods Cabinetry in Anoka or Cabinetry Concepts in Ramsey. My architect/contractor normally uses Great Woods, so that what I have in my current house. Great Woods was already booked when we remodeled the last house, so Cabinetry Concepts did the work there. Both did excellent work.

AMS thanked Moxie
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @Moxie! I will check them out!

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

Hi AMS! You're getting brave and creative;) If you stay with IKEA for this, I'd hack a 24" base for MW with drawer. It comes with a shelf, the Forbattra cover strip and fasteners that you'll need to use as horizontal filler piece. Not sure which model FP dishdrawer you want, but I'd do the tall height which requires a cavity of 18"H x 23 5/8W x 22 1/16"D. I would mount it at the top with one 10" drawer at the bottom (add an inner drawer if you want). This makes the installation hack easier and no worries about water ruining the drawer base and front. Your 36" cab to the left of the sink will give you plenty of room in the top drawer for cutlery and more. And you have the drawers by the range for cooking utensils. I'd put your wraps and tupperware in the bottom drawers below the DW. Now the hack: I would cut the two sides to meet the cutout requirements, leaving the back and 1 15/16" of the back sides intact. The filler would be cut and attached between the opening and the drawer (18" dishdrawer + 2" filler + 10" drawer = 30"). If you try it this way you can still mount the cab to the rail and to the sink cabinet and 12" pullout cabinet. I would add a Fixa countertop support fixture on each of those two cabinets to make up for the missing cabinet sides.

Of course, you could still do a 5" above and below, but it will be a more complex install and I'd plan to get extra drawer fronts and bottoms. I would apply the moisture tape to the bottom of the top drawer too. You could apply the same installation hack as above but swapping the bottom drawer for a low maximera with 5" front and adding the 5" at the top. You'd still have 2" of filler.

Hope this makes sense! Let us know what you decide!!

Hello to benjesbride!! Hope you and the family are well! Great to see you!

AMS thanked bbtrix
  • AMS
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you @bbtrix! I am going to have read this a couple times to see if I understand. It never occurred to me that by getting rid of the sides (or making them ~2 inches deep) that there would be no countertop support at the front. I bet the IKEA countertop installers might not be pleased by that, or say it will void a warranty? But - wait, what supports the counter when a 'normal' dishwasher with no cabinet housing is used? *oh I think I feel a lightbulb going off* - these Fixa supports attached to the flanking cabs are what are used with 'normal' DWs...

Off to play with graph paper - thanks!! :) And yes, I agree the 5" above/below plan seems doomed.

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

The depth of the cut would be 22 1/16. I omitted that on the pic above.

AMS thanked bbtrix
  • Kay Hu
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi @AMS, just wondering if you ended up going with the single dishwasher drawer and drawer underneath idea? I also live in NYC with a smallish kitchen and was considering this layout for a future remodel. Thanks!

• AMS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi @Kay Hu - I didn't. It was beyond my capabilities, and honestly I decided I wanted a bigger DW. I ended up going with a dish drawer stack (to left of sink).

• Katie Jones
    3 years ago

Hi, what do you think of the dish drawers? I am looking at them with IKEA cabinets but so hesitant to move to a drawer. The salesperson says I’ll love it but it just feels so different to me