Congressman Elijah Cummings has died

dandyfopp

American Hero. Thank you for your service.

http://apne.ws/tt3S9as

SaveComment67Like6
Comments (67)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiomom

I deleted mine, we posted at the same time.

"an honorable man who proudly served his district and the nation with dignity, integrity, compassion and humility." ~ Maya Rockeymoore Cummings

I wish you healing and peace in this time of great personal sorrow Mrs. Cummings

9 Likes Save    
gsciencechick(8a NC/SC border)

So sorry to hear of this.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Wow...So sorry.

1 Like Save    
12 Likes Save    
Delilah66

He was a strong man who accomplished a lot and gave to his community more than he took. Very rare for a politician.

4 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

He will be missed.

1 Like Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Was not expecting this. RIP He seemed to be a voice of reason in the insanity that is Washington.

11 Likes Save    
batyabeth

an American hero, I bow my head at his passing. Who will watch out for us now?

10 Likes Save    
leona_2008

We have lost a hero. So sad to hear this.

6 Likes Save    
cattyles

Elijah Cummings changed the world for the better while he was here. His life was unselfishly lived in the service of others. I can’t believe he is gone. This good man will be so missed.

14 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

17 Likes Save    
Janie

Elijah Cummings, esteemed longtime Baltimore congressman, died at 68

A good man, he will be missed, I'm sure.

A sharecropper’s son, Cummings became the powerful chairman of a U.S. House committee ..... and was a formidable orator who passionately advocated for the poor in his black-majority district, which encompasses a large portion of Baltimore as well as more well-to-do suburbs.

Throughout his career, Cummings used his fiery voice to highlight the struggles and needs of inner-city residents. He was a firm believer in some much-debated approaches to help the poor and addicted, such as needle exchange programs as a way to reduce the spread of AIDS.

Cummings was born on January 18, 1951 in Baltimore, the son of Ruth Elma (née Cochran) and Robert Cummings. He was the third child of seven. Cummings graduated with honors from the Baltimore City College high school in 1969.

He later attended Howard University in Washington, D.C., where he served in the student government as sophomore class president, student government treasurer and later student government president. He became a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society and graduated in 1973 with a Bachelor's degree in Political Science.

Cummings graduated from law school at the University of Maryland School of Law, receiving his J.D. in 1976, and was admitted to the Maryland Bar later that year. He practiced law for 19 years before first being elected to the House in the 1996 elections.

7 Likes Save    
chase_gw

An inspiration to all and well loved by those on both sides of the aisle

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I hear he was a nice man.

So does anyone know why Baltimore has become a crime ridden, high murder statistics, scandal ridden city that people are afraid to go visit--multiple mayors with scandals, and of course the frightening and dangerous riots a few years ago?

I'm sure Congressman Cummings loved Balitmore--he was very touchy about any criticism. Did he ever say anywhere why he thought the city had devolved into one of the top cesspools of crime and corruption, and what he tried to do about it?

Maryland isn't that big of a state.

3 Likes Save    
Michele

Good old fashioned (in the way I like and respect) dedicated man. A true public servant. I like the phrase Delilah used, “gave to his community more than he took”. I don’t think there are enough people in politics who take that to heart.

Rest In Peace

8 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

As I said yestreday here, I've known far too many good, fine people who died too young and 68 is too young. The mean ones are still kicking.

8 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

10 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

Wonder what the WH is doing with the flag?

Save    
7 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Good people everywhere will miss his rumbling voice, his kind heart, and his deep conviction that every human being has worth.

Rest in power, Elijah.

- Sen. Elizabeth Warren

11 Likes Save    
Rina

I knew only a little about him, really, but from all I saw he was an example of what a human being of the highest quality should be. A big loss for the country. RIP.

5 Likes Save    
margaux

Shocking and sad news this morning. I hope he is asking God right now for deliverance from evil. We sure need it.

2 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

He still had work to do. Unfortunate loss.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

What a tremendous man and a great loss to the Democratic Party. He was humble and filled with Grace. RIP Elijah Cummings. You lived a fruitful life and blessed many with your service.

4 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

RIP--an admirable man.

2 Likes Save    
9 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Devastating news this morning.

My deepest sympathy to his widow and family.

May Elijah Cummings be an inspiration for us all.

3 Likes Save    
lily316

A blessed and dedicated public servant. We Democrats lost our lion. I am so sad. RIP sir, you deserve all the accolades and tributes.

6 Likes Save    
10 Likes Save    
blfenton

I will miss his voice, one that had so much to say and silenced much too early.

I am so sorry and so sad.

6 Likes Save    
don_socal

https://heavy.com/news/2019/10/elijah-cummings-martin-luther-king-jr/

Elijah Cummings & Martin Luther King Jr.: 5 Fast Facts

"Democratic Congressman Elijah Cummings has died at the age of 68.

He served Maryland’s 7th Congressional District for more than 20 years, according to a statement on his death by the MD Democratic Party.

Cummings counts Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as one of his inspirations. Here’s everything you need to know."

4 Likes Save    
margaritadina

When I first saw him on the screen my thought was - this man has kidneys problem. I don't know why but that was the thought. And the fact that he died in the hospice kinda confirms it for me. 68 is not the time to go, too young by today's standards.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

An inspiration to us all and a model to follow. I am sorry for his family and friends and our nation. We are bereft in a time of need.

3 Likes Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I heard the news about this fine man with shock and dismay. His illness surely marked him because I guessed him to be much older than 68. That he still gave so much of himself when surely it must have been difficult makes him all the more a principled and and caring man. It is a loss to all who love this country.

4 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I am sad to see a few didn't listen to their mothers.

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything.

This is one of the few times that saying applies here on HT.

6 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Cummings’s legacy: champion for Baltimore, force of nature in Congress

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/cummingss-legacy-champion-for-baltimore-force-of-nature-in-congress/2019/10/17/18d4d472-f0fe-11e9-8693-f487e46784aa_story.html#comments-wrapper

Oct. 17, 2019 at 7:26 p.m. EDT

Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.) pondered his future in the late summer of 2015 as he stood on the steps of the House, where the Democrat had represented Baltimore for almost 20 years in relative anonymity. As a family of tourists approached, Cummings was certain it would be a case of mistaken identity.

“Who do you think I am?” he called out.

“Elijah Cummings, of Baltimore,” they responded.

He rushed down to shake their hands and apologize, explaining that strangers usually thought he was Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), the civil rights icon and fellow African American who also sports a shaved, bald head.

No longer in the shadows of other giants, Cummings had emerged as a powerful voice at home in West Baltimore, where he served as peacemaker during riots that followed police violence that spring. In Congress, he had risen to the role of top Democrat defending President Barack Obama from nettlesome GOP oversight investigations.

Over the next four years, after deciding to stay in the House, Cummings became a force of nature. After his elevation to chairman of the Oversight and Reform Committee, his investigations put the fear of political death in administration officials.

“I can’t tell you how many friends would call me and be in fear because they got a letter from Cummings. But he was a man of fairness,” Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Thursday during tributes on the House floor after Cummings died Thursday morning.

Even President Trump saw Cummings as a rival, particularly after he started investigations that examined how migrant children were being treated at the border. On a Saturday morning in late July the president launched into a Twitter attack against Cummings, against Baltimore, that was filled with venom.

Already ailing, Cummings appeared a week later at a park opening in Baltimore where he called on his constituents to embrace hope for their city and ignore the presidential harassment. “It gives people light — it brings light into their lives. I have so much to do,” Cummings said.

The lawmaker at that moment had completed a life story that seems like a political fairy tale in a Congress dominated by career politicians and family dynasties.

His parents were sharecroppers in South Carolina, toiling on the same land where their ancestors had served as slaves. In the 1940s, they moved to Baltimore and raised seven children, sending young Elijah to special-education classes because he struggled in elementary school.

About 60 years later — after becoming an honors student at Howard University, serving 14 years in the Maryland General Assembly, winning a special election in 1996 to the U.S. House — Cummings could scare the president of the United States.

But Cummings knew that alliances and respect from rivals would only make him more powerful. So his friendships and associations ranged from Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), the founder of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, to Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), a leading candidate for the 2020 presidential nomination who worked with him on the opioid crisis and income inequality.

Battling ligament issues the past two years, which led to an infection during one hospitalization, Cummings usually steered his walker to a seat in the front row of the House chamber, where the Congressional Black Caucus usually holds court.

On Thursday, as McCarthy, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and others paid tribute, that seat was filled with white hydrangeas and white roses. Lawmakers huddled at his seat and hugged during votes, whispering to one another about what Congress had lost.

“It lost civility, it lost a degree of civility,” Lewis said in an interview after votes. “It lost a greater sense of hope and optimism. Elijah Cummings was one of the most hopeful, one of the most optimistic individuals I ever met.”

He never ran for an elected leadership position, but Cummings achieved a profile that few members of the Congressional Black Caucus have ever reached. His booming voice could instill fear among those meeting him for the first time.

“I’m going to ask you plainly,” Cummings told Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) when they first met. “Are you here to do the work?”

The 29-year-old political celebrity had millions following her social media posts on everything from domestic policy to cooking. As she recounted in a series of Twitter posts, on that day Trump attacked Baltimore, Ocasio-Cortez promised she would.

He supported her for a seat on his committee and early on she repaid him with some of the best questioning of witnesses. “You want to be on his team,” she wrote.

In late February, Cummings faced his first big test as chairman during a hearing with the president’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen. The blockbuster hearing got live national coverage as Cohen testified about payments to buy the silence of Trump’s alleged mistresses and his racist behavior.

Meadows had an African American woman who worked for the Trump Organization and the Department of Housing and Urban Development stand behind him as a prop to demonstrate some black support for the president.

Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), a freshman, called it a “racist” act, and Meadows demanded an apology. The entire hearing, a success for Democrats to that point, was about to go off the rails, until Cummings stepped in and negotiated the peace.

The next day, Meadows approached Tlaib on the floor. They talked and embraced.

“He would always just calm the waters,” Pelosi recalled Thursday.

Lewis said Thursday that as Cummings’s stature grew, he was on the other end of the mistaken identity. On a recent flight from Atlanta to Washington, a former senator stopped by Lewis’s flight seat.

“Hello, Elijah,” he told Lewis.

In 2015, after Barbara A. Mikulski (D-Md.) announced she would retire from the Senate in 2016, Cummings faced pressure to run for the seat, particularly after the riots in Baltimore.

Maryland had never elected a black senator, and Cummings had a good sense of his chances to win. But he sometimes responded to inquiries by asking whether someone knew the average life expectancy of a black man in America.

It was about 69 years old, the age Cummings would have turned in January.

Instead, he stayed in the House and became more powerful than most senators.

In one of his final prominent speeches, three weeks after Trump’s Twitter outburst, Cummings connected today’s hate-filled rhetoric to the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, a couple of days before, calling on Congress to do better.

“God has called me to this moment,” Cummings said. “I did not ask for it.”

3 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

An unspeakable loss, just at the time when our country needs his wisdom most. I consider him an American hero, cut in the cloth of M.L. King. His courage in the face of the garbage Washington throws out was remarkable. He was a bright light shining in the darkness of these sad times....

4 Likes Save    
Rina

Trump's attack on Cummings will be remembered in the same way as his attack on John McCain's terrible trial as a prisoner of war.

I'm very moved by the love and honour I see on this thread.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Don't confuse conservative with the cult.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Cummings knew the power of education. I have no doubt that he worked very hard at hiring those willing to learn and to do the hard work. And that he tirelessly taught them how special and powerful the US Constitution is.

1 Like Save    
Andie

He carried the scar all of his life.

He was 11-years-old, when he and a group of black boys decided to visit the public pool. He didn't know it then, but he was among the first black children to integrate the Riverside Park swimming pool in the summer of 1962.

A crowd of angry white residents, surrounded them, carrying signs that said “Keep Our Pool Germ Free” and shouting, “Go back to where you came from.”

“People were throwing bottles, rocks, and screaming,” he remembered, “calling us everything but a child of God.”

One of the flying objects hit him in the face, that's how he got the scar.

He also remembered a black woman, who tried to help them, the boys knew her as “Miss Mitchell”. One of the flying objects hit her, and although she was bleeding, she still had the courage to protect the boys.

He said, "I will never forget that as long as I live.”

He found out later that the black lady known to the boys only as “Miss Mitchell” was an attorney in his town. Her name was Juanita Jackson Mitchell, who was a legendary civil rights lawyer with the NAACP.

“And at 11 years old," he said, "I declared in that moment that I was going to become a lawyer.”

Elijah Eugene Cummings, shown in the attached picture wearing a tie, did become a lawyer, becoming one of the most respected lawyers in Baltimore, then a United States House Representative. When he died on October 17, 2019, he would be remembered for his courage and for the respect he received from both sides of the aisle.

In the Maryland House of Delegates, he became the youngest chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus and the first African American to serve as speaker pro tem,the member who presides in the speaker’s absence.

Even Rep. Trey Gowdy, whose political confrontations with Cummings made headlines, would say of Cummings:

“It’s not about politics to him; he says what he believes. And you can tell the ones who are saying it because it was in a memo they got that morning, and you can tell the ones who it’s coming from their soul. And with Mr. Cummings, it’s coming from his soul.”

"Cummings was the son of South Carolina sharecroppers who had followed the Great Migration north to factory jobs in Baltimore," according to the Washington Post. "His parents struggled to feed all seven of their kids, but still canned fruit for others in need."

He attended a poor, still segregated elementary school, according to Baltimore Magazine. On Sundays, he remembered running home from the church where his father was a preacher to listen to Martin Luther King Jr.’s speeches on the radio.

“Of the many things I learned from my father — and neither he nor my mother
completed elementary school because they went to work in the fields — was to treat everyone with equal respect and not to speak or act out of anger,” Cummings said. “Because when you do, the person only hears your tone, they don’t get the message."

According to Baltimore Magazine, he remembered being told "so often that he 'couldn’t' — couldn’t swim in the pool; couldn’t go to the newer, nicer white school; couldn’t go to college or get into law school."

Which is why he also remembered the people who had helped him succeed, like Miss Mitchell. Another helper was the kind owner of a neighborhood drugstore,
“Doc” Friedman, a Jewish pharmacist who gave him a job. “Doc” Friedman
also paid the fee for Cummings’ application to Howard University.

While away at school, “Doc” continued encouraging him academically, going so far as to send him notes that read “Hang in there.” Every once in a while, he would send him a $10 bill.

He became student body president and earned his bachelor’s degree, followed by a law degree from the University of Maryland.

When he was sworn into Congress in 1996, he remembered how his father cried because of the opportunities his son had that he hadn't.

In
his speech, he would say, "Our world would be a much better world, a much better place, if we would only concentrate on the things we have in common."

The rest of the nation eventually would learn about Cummings, after his response to the death of Freddie Gray and his impassioned arguments against an immigration policy he believed was wrong.

At Gray's funeral, Cummings cried out, “Did you see him? Did you see him?”

“I’ve often said, our children are the living messages we send to a future we will never see,” he said, his voice rising. “But now our children are sending us to a future they will never see! There’s something wrong with that picture!"

Bemoaning the current political climate, Cummings said, "Those at the highest levels of government must stop invoking fear, using racist language and
encouraging reprehensible behavior. As a country, we finally must say
that enough is enough. That we are done with the hateful rhetoric.”

Because of his passion, Cummings would receive a "vitriolic stream of
racist mail, e-mail, social-media commentary, and phone messages,"
according to a former staffer. But Cummings never spoke about the hate he received and instead focused on the work that was needed.

“Congressman Cummings was an honorable man who proudly served his
district and the nation with dignity, integrity, compassion and humility, said his wife, Maryland Democratic Party Chair Maya Rockeymoore Cummings in a statement. "He worked until his last breath because he believed our democracy was the highest and best expression of our collective humanity and that our nation’s diversity was our promise, not our problem. It’s been an honor to walk by his side on this incredible journey. I loved him deeply and will miss him dearly.”

Cummings would say in an interview with John Heilemann, when asked whether he had an answer to the divisive, political climate in the country, "The answers are painful . . . To see this as I walk through the evening of my life . . . it makes me want to work night and day for the rest of my life to make sure that we make the best of the situation . . . this is about the soul of our democracy."

At his swearing in in 1996, Cummings said his time in Congress would be centered on "a mission and a vision to empower people."

He then recited a poem by Benjamin Elijah Mays, Baptist minister and civil rights leader who was credited with laying the intellectual foundations of the Civil Rights Movement.

"I only have a minute,
60 seconds in it.
Forced upon me, I did not choose it.
But I know that I must use it.
Give account if I abuse it.
Suffer if I lose it.
Only a tiny little minute,
but eternity is in it."

https://www.facebook.com/pg/The-Jon-S-Randal-Peace-Page-1172578609429017/posts/

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/10/elijah-cummings-death.html

7 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Thank you, Andie, for this post.

Worth repeating:

“It’s not about politics to him; he says what he believes. And you can tell the ones who are saying it because it was in a memo they got that morning, and you can tell the ones who it’s coming from their soul. And with Mr. Cummings, it’s coming from his soul.”

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

I am really enjoying the speakers this morning at the funeral of Elijah. We have currently lost the humanity in the WH he worked so hard to impart into Congress. The speakers are wonderful and uplifting. A tribute to Elijah and love of humanity.

5 Likes Save    
10 Likes Save    
cattyles

It was a wonderful, uplifting service. The speakers were a joy to see and hear.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I did not get to watch it all earlier, but there are lots of videos on YouTube, so I'll be watching the rest later.

NPR live streamed it on FaceBook.

What is so disturbing is the number of comments on the videos by trolling partisans. Thank goodness they are far outnumbered by nice people

Save    
5 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

It was wonderfully reassuring hearing hopeful voices and seeing political enemies put all that aside for several days.

4 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Crooked Hillary's a national disgrace.

She really stunk up the place.

Save    
mrskjun(9)

King Ahab and Jezebel? Hillary Clinton is one disgusting human being. She was there to eulogize a statesman and instead she did that. Please run again Hillary.

5 Likes Save    
Andie

Clinton was spot on comparing Elijah Cummings to the Biblical Elijah.

"Ahab was a corrupt and evil king of Israel; Jezebel was his wife, a Phoenician princess who adorned herself in fine clothing and jewelry, and worshiped the false god Baal, only to ultimately meet her doom. In the Old Testament Elijah brought the kingdom of Israel back to the true path of God.

'Our Elijah could call down fire from heaven. But he also prayed and worked for healing,' Clinton said.

'Like that Old Testament prophet, he stood again corrupt leadership of King Ahab and Queen Jezebel,' she said.

'He weathered storms and earthquakes, but he never lost his faith,' Clinton said.

'And he looked out for the vulnerable among us. And he kept reminding us, life is no dress rehearsal,' she added.

'The American people want to live their lives without fear of their leaders,' Clinton said, 'and as leaders, we have a responsibility to keep the promises made when running for office to make the lives of Americans better,' she said. "

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

I noticed the King wasn’t in attendance.

Save    
mrskjun(9)

And the lives of Americans are better Andie.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

My life is not better because of Trump, but he has enriched his and his family.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

My life is not better because of Trump, but he has enriched his and his family.

My life was not better because of Obama, but he enriched his and his family.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

His wife Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, chairwoman of the Maryland Democratic Party, said in a statement Thursday that her husband was an honorable man who served his district with “dignity, integrity, compassion and humility.”

“He worked until his last breath because he believed our democracy was the highest and best expression of our collective humanity and that our nation’s diversity was our promise, not our problem. It has been an honor to walk by his side on this incredible journey. I loved him deeply and will miss him dearly," she said.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Please respect the spirit of this thread. There are hundreds of threads to have this same argument on. I’m asking respectfully.

4 Likes Save    
steve2416

Cattyles, I respect your request but I just came in from watching a football game my grandson was in and checked my BBC news feed and was amused and gratified that one of Mr. Cummings pallbearers refused to shake Mitch McConnells hand (a snub).

2 Likes Save    
lily316

I loved the Mitch snub too caught on camera and the turtle looked chagrined. It was truly amazing to hear intelligent articulate speakers eulogize Cummings today. How we as a country are so deprived with what we have to listen to every day. " It was a perfect call. Perfect and anyone who doesn't think so is human scum. "

2 Likes Save    
HU9999

Mrs Clinton's words were wonderful. Amazing how some have so much hate in their heart for her that they can't even listen to her remarks about a wonderful man without that hate shining through.

6 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Most of that hate is almost certainly the result of the work done Russia's IRA, which is still ongoing...

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

He would have been so proud of his daughters. RIP he will be missed.

A respectful thread thank you dandyfopp, Cattyles

3 Likes Save    
Jennifer

Cummings was an honorable man. His decency will be missed.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Did Hillary break out her fake southern accent again?

"I don't feel no ways tired-- I done come too far?"

Save    
maddie260

I think some never learned ‘if you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all.” There were two, just two, disrespectful postings for a most honorable man. I’m out of here! Lost power! Hope this posted.

1 Like Save    
Rina

Mom, thanks for bringing the thread back to where it should be.

Save    
BetsyJ

margaritadina: When I first saw him on the screen my thought was - this man has kidneys problem.

Rep. Elijah Cummings had a rare form of cancer called thymic carcinoma when he died Oct. 17 at 68

Save