SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaykaym

Bruce Hydropel engineered wood flooring

Jaykaym
4 years ago

Since there are no reviews of the Bruce Hydropel wood flooring I thought I'd share my experiment. I I have been looking for flooring for a Florida condo. I've considered LVP, Pergo laminate, and my favorite so far, Bruce Hdropel Engineered wood. I've always had wood floors and really like the look of this one since it is actually a thin WOOD layer. My concern has been my sliding glass door and the potential that their could be some water leakage during major rain events. A couple of times the wind and rain has been so intense that the water has actually been hitting the slider in waves across the porch floor.

We bought a couple of samples of the Bruce Hydropel Engineered wood at Lowes and put one of them in a bowl of water to see what would happen. We left it there about 24 hours and the cut edge did have some seepage into the thin wood layer which caused discoloration right at the edge. All of the finished edges of the sample were fine with no water damage. But the surprising thing was in just a few hours as the sample dried, the discoloration went away and the sample looks as good as new!

Next we took a sample and put a coat of silicone on the cut edge and put it in the bowl of water. In this case there was no seepage except in a spot where we had been too stingy with the layer of silicone and there was a very slight discoloration from the water at the edge which, again, disappeared as it dried.

The core does seem to get damp so I really wouldn't consider this floor to be waterproof. If I did have a water issue I'd still want to get it dried as fast as possible but I feel much better about installing it after my little experiment.

Comment (1)