SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstinamichelle

Blind Corner Cabinet help.

Tina S
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This will be the third time trying to post this. Not sure why Houzz doesn't like me. So bare w/me if my photos are not posted yet. That may be what is prevening posting.

Basically, my KD messed up and I have to make a decision on a blind corner cabinet. I'm doing an IKEA kitchen and want a blind corner base organizer pullout. However, due to the mess up, Im being told I can't have my organizer. The North wall is not long enough to accommodate the organizer w/my extended fridge on the East wall. I have no plans to move the fridge or replace it and we cant add 11 1/8" to that North wall to accommodate the pullout. So I need some alternate ideas. The other suggestion by my KD was doing a lazy susan, but I hate them and hate the doors on them. There must be other options, right? Thought about leaving a dead space there as im not sure what else to do that I will be happy with. Thanks!

Blind Cabinet Organizer Pullout.

North Wall w/Organizer Pull out. Our fridge extends past the cabinets. So I'm being told the organizer won't work here as there isn't enough room. FYI: We will be going with this layout, but need to know our options for the corner.

East Wall.

Lazy Susan corner base w/extended fridge.

East Wall view.

Comments (50)

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

They are right. You can’t do a blind corner organizer there, even if you had the room. A IKEA lazy Susan only works if you’ve got 39” in both directions. And your fridge already crowds to door casing too much. It probably needs to go somewhere else. Like swap it with the range, and put a slim pantry to the left. Or put it across the doorway on that wall.

The only other option is to void the corner.

Tina S thanked live_wire_oak
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is no casing around the entry. It’s just a 5’ walkway from kitchen to Pantry or out to the garage. The fridge is currently where the range will eventually be. No interest in moving it back. An option would be to move fridge to East middle wall on other side of entry, but I’d prefer it not to go there. That’s my breakfast/coffee wall. KD did say the lazy Susan can fit there in that corner, just like it is in the draft. I’ll look back on the other drafts where it shows measurements later today.

• Related Discussions

Square corner wall cabinets vs blind corners

Q

Comments (4)
    I think front is asking about uppers. I have 2 easy-reach uppers in my kitchen, and I love them - tons better than the diagonal uppers I used to have. I wanted to get to the corner space. My Mom had a blind corner in her kitchen, and made good use of it. Her house was built long before someone came up with the easy-reach idea. She was able to reach part-way into the blind part, and put things in the back she rarely used. I think the decider would be how big the adjacent cabinet is, and what you plan to put there. I can't remember your dimensions exactly, but if you can eliminate a 12" upper cabinet with either option, you will come out ahead.
    ...See More

What kind of corner cabinet - Blind corner/lazy susan/other

Q

Comments (14)
    My lazy susan in my old kitchen was the most functional cabinet in the entire kitchen. Yes, lazy susan, it had a center pole. Like Marcolo's, it had the door attached to the shelves so it rotated inside the cabinet. No doors hitting cabinets on the side or to get in the way of accessing the items stored there. Nothing could fall off of it b/c the walls of the cabinet followed the contour of the shelves so closely that about all that would fit b/w them was air. 13 years old and it still rotated smoothly and was so easy to use! With a Blind Corner Unit, if something falls off a shelf, you cannot close it until someone crawls into the back to retrieve it. When I briefly toyed with one b/c it looked "cool", my KD strongly discouraged it b/c of the complaints she's had from clients who insisted on one and now regret it. So, what did I store in my lazy susan in my old kitchen? All my pots & pans (and I had more then than I do now), colanders, pie tins, cake pans, and various serving dishes/items. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures...I didn't realize how useful pics like that would be at the time and so only took very general "before" pictures. With my new kitchen, I was really looking forward to having one to hold all my small appliances, but instead I ended up w/a Pet Center cabinet that was turned 90o and faced outward (at my DH's request). I now store most of my small appliances in my pantry and still miss the Super Susan I almost had! Kodak1...I suggest you post a floor plan b/c it might help us to see what your options are in the various corners...including answering your question about your range location. Some options: Corner Susan, cabinet turned 90o to face the other side (assuming an open side), corner prep sink (or main sink), etc. Good luck!
    ...See More

Blind corners...PLEASE help!

Q

Comments (4)
    No, it's not clear what you are asking for. You say you have a two piece door for the corner and turntables? That usually means an L shaped corner cabinet with lazy susans, not a blind corner cabinet. If you had more room in one direction from the corner than the other, you could definitely have an asymmetrical corner cabinet, which is usually 33" in on direction and 36" in another. That's a great solution to that problem, not a problem itself. The standard double hinged door for a corner cabinet would be asymmetrical in that case and nothing would be "wrong" at all. So, do you have a cabinet plan that you can post with dimensions that illustrate your problem here? Pictures? Because it sounds like there might not be a problem at all with the cabinets, just a problem with them communicating with you so your expectations would align with what the plan actually is.
    ...See More

Blind Corner Wall Cabinet.. Will this work with no filler??

Q

Comments (7)
    The 18" door on the left is 3/4" thick so you really need at least 3/4" to fully open the door, but you will still be limited by your door hardware. Unless hinge limiters are used there is always the chance of the doors bumping in a corner. What you want to do is absolutely possible with an Ikea system and I personally would choose the 30" over 2 smaller cabs. I never slam doors and you don't really need it to fully open. As you can see in this picture, the knob prevents a full 90 degrees, but I've never seen it as an issue. There will be no clearance issues at the hinge as the left side of the door moves a 1/2" to the right as the door opens.
    ...See More
  • Sheryl Horton
    4 years ago

I would blind the corner & use a wide set of drawers- a regular drawer on top & two deep drawers on the bottom .

Tina S thanked Sheryl Horton
  • mainenell
    4 years ago

Keep in mind that you can’t put a drawer to the right of the DW because the fridge will keep them from opening completely.

Tina S thanked mainenell
  • wilson853
    4 years ago

If you can recess the refrigerator I would void the corner and use drawer bases on each side of the corner.

Tina S thanked wilson853
  • wilson853
    4 years ago

There's about 23" from the face of the drawer base to the edge of the open DW door. Cabinets are inset.

Tina S thanked wilson853
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

North wall w/organizer. This will most likely be my final layout. My KD said that the organizer door is 21".

East wall. w/organizer. Here, I'll only have 15" to work with. Maybe I can do wine boxes here?

Lazy Susan layout. Not sure if this even helps as the dw is in the wrong place.

East Wall. Lazy Susan.

• Karenseb
    4 years ago

Would it be possible to make your 5 foot walkway to the pantry/garage more like 42 to 48 inches and move the fridge down to open up the space to the left of the fridge?

Tina S thanked Karenseb
  • N
    4 years ago

I just ran into corner issues with a U shape. I sympathize. Are the diagonal drawers possible here? Not sure of the clearance. You can blind the corner and use a pantry or even extra deep drawers, if you have no need for storage in the corner there. I read most corner solutions are only 75% space efficient. Can you lose the 75% of storage? Is there anything else you could change like the walkway as someone mentioned above? I have two lazy susans and it is working for me. All my tall items go in the corners where they would not fit anywhere else otherwise. If I could lose the space, deep drawers would be grand. The doors to the lazy Susan can be camouflaged and many susans are easier to turn and use these days.

Tina S thanked N
  • wacokid
    4 years ago

I had some dead space but found a cabinet that allowed me to use it. We just put big trays back there that are used once in a while.

Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Tina S thanked wacokid
  • Karenseb
    4 years ago

My daughter has two blinds. She could have killed the corners, but she puts large seldom used appliances in one blind on cookies sheets (to make them easier to pull out) and has easy to remove things stored in the accessible part and baskets on the bottom shelf (easy to remove) and has a large lazy susan in the other corner.

The trick to blinds is not to store small items or high use items.

Tina S thanked Karenseb
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

karenseb - I guess we could move that pantry wall, but I'm thinking that's a lot of effort. There is a room above it and I'm sure the hubby will say no. The reason we made that entry bigger than standard is to accommodate a wheelchair if either of us needed one someday. I'm going to do more lazy susan research. I just really hate losing that pull out organizer. :(

N - I don't think Ikea makes diagonal drawers. Although I could do a DIY here I guess. I'd have to do a lot of research tho. A lot of effort to do so too. See above comment about the walkway. I'll also do some more lazy susan research as well. We have a blind corner now and that space is useless as stuff just gets lost back there.

wacokid - I currently have a blind corner and it looks just like that. Right now it houses plastic containers, lunch boxes, colanders, etc. Stuff gest lost in that very back corner. :( I'll do more research specifically to blind corners.

• Valinta
    4 years ago

I agree with Karenseb. I also hate lazy susans so i have a narrow corne shelf above the bottom level and my giant bowl, stand mixer and the “pancakes for 5 grandkids” electric skillet get along just great.

Tina S thanked Valinta
  • PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    4 years ago

You have 23" from the DB to the dishwasher in addition to the 24" DB for at total of about 47". That is a lot of room for a blind corner cab. I could fit the largest of Rev-A-Shelf's half moon lazy susan in that, 38".

https://www.rev-a-shelf.com/showProduct.aspx?SEName=lazy-susan-half-moon-2-shelf-pivot-and-slide-blind-corner-accessories&ProductID=17

Tina S thanked Creative Design Cabinetry
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

There are tons of choices of hardware for blind corners check out Lee Valley for sure I happen to love super susans and often start my kitchen designs with using them in corners

Tina S thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Somebodies don’t understand the clearance requirements of corner organizers vs that specific kitchen design. Which should 100% should get that fridge relocated.

Tina S thanked live_wire_oak
  • wilson853
    4 years ago

I would try to make the corner less claustrophobic by either getting a counter depth refrigerator, recessing it, or moving the doorway over a foot. If that isn't possible, I would consider moving the refrigerator to the other side of the doorway. You may get some other ideas if you post your whole layout.

warrandyte · More Info

Farmhouse Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Tina S thanked wilson853
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well guys, here are the new revisions. Not sure how I feel about this. My KD did one w/the fridge in the same spot (but moving DW and window back where it should be) and one with the moved fridge. Since she knew I wanted that stupid organizer, why didn't she give it back to me on the East wall where it was originally before the mistake was found. Oh well. If I decide to move the fridge to the other side, I'll get the organizer back. Do you think this fridge sticks out too far? It looks huge and my fridge doesn't stick out that far from my current cabinets.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This site is the worst when it comes to posting photos. Still trying...

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Fridge Moved. I hate the cabinets over that fridge. Plus, now it looks like my wall shelves and base cabinets were cut in half. :(

• bens bride
    4 years ago

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but can you swap the doorway and the fridge to eliminate the need for a corner solution altogether?

• wilson853
    4 years ago

The refrigerator side panels should be brought forward as much as possible. Since you don't like the cabinets up there, here's a couple of other options.

SW HIlls Historic · More Info

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

The moved fridge to coffee bar is so much better: 1. You need a filler next to drawers if the fridge end panels go beyond 24” in depth. 2. 15” drawers by range are only 12” inside - very small for pot and pan storage. This layout gives you a 24”, or make the wall side 12” and other 18”, but 24” is better. 3. You still have a 42” coffee bar.

Keep the fridge away from the dishwasher; with dishwasher to right of sink it will interfere when unloading.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bens Bride - That doorway leads out to the garage. The walk-in pantry is behind the left wall and the room across from the door is a freezer room. So no, not possible.

wilson853 - I agree, but I think my KD didn’t push the fridge all the way in for this design or she put in a bigger fridge than what I had before. It was not previously this big. It’s only 35 3/4” including the handles. Thanks for the ideas.

Ulisdone - I don’t love the fridge in the new spot, but what else can I do. Other than leaving it where it is in my house now, which is to the left of the sink by that wall. Where would I put my range then? Right now, the range is on that middle wall to the right of where she moved the fridge too.

1. Understood.
    2. The drawers left of the range will be for spices and cooking oils and the right one for potholders and such.
    3. Right, but it just looks tiny. It looks like it’s sliced down the middle compared to what it did look like there before. I loved how this looked before and it messes up any ideas I had for this area/wall. Don’t like the overall look. Don’t like the cabinets over the fridge, but that’s prob due to the fridge being pulled out too far as I think that’s what’s going on here.
      See photo attached of dw and fridge placement. This was before we took the wall cabinets off and fixed that East Fridge wall to the correct size of 77 1/8” rather than 83” she had.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the other photos. This is where she had the measurements off in my second draft. The fridge wasn’t sticking out that far and weather it gets pushed closer to the North wall, it still doesn’t interfere with the dw. It was only the corner cabinet in question. Here, the organizer is next to the fridge. Because the wall had to go to its correct size, I lost the organizer on this wall. She put the organizer on the North corner wall and due to that, the dw had to move. After that, she suggested I had to either lengthen that wall to keep my fridge there (due to the organizer opening into the fridge) or install a lazy Susan instead.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

If you can open the DW without interfering with the refrigerator then I would go with this and sink the refrigerator into the studs to make it as flush as possible.

Tina S thanked wilson853
  • artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Agree with Wilson853.

Can you recess the fridge enough into wall to give you more space in corner for more options you prefer?

Tina S thanked artistsharonva
  • artistsharonva
    4 years ago

There may be some door clearance issues with opening or accessing double hinge lazy susan when next to a deeper fridge.

Discuss options with designer.

Adding a filler

or

pull cabinet forward to be more flush with fridge panels or deepen countertop

or

Maybe a 1 door super susan

or getting 2 doors to open outwards rather than hinge out.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

I like the wall cabinets on both sides of hood. It looks more balanced + more storage. If you could get some space 2-3'' in between would be even better. :)

• acm
    4 years ago

I think regaining a whole section of cabinetry that you're thinking of just blowing up is worth shrinking a coffee bar that feels luxurious even at a reduced size. And you just got the best drawer stack in the kitchen!

Tina S thanked acm
  • artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Is it possible to shift stove area slightly to right & get the wall cabinets around hood little bigger & get same size doors seen in orange? Also, get cabinets a little closer to window while doing so.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

I also agree with acm, moving the fridge to coffee area would really help open that corner up to better possibilities. I would seriously consider that option as well.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

How about doing the fridge wall but flipping it & building a cabinet above with a 12'' deep panel down with shelving to balance that area up.

Then make a coffee area there or on wall where fridge was. Maybe even get 2 glass cabinets with shelving between to store taller items under. You could then get the blind corner to open other way to get that blind corner pullout you want.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The Cook's Kitchen - Thank you for this photo! This helps with the visual.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wilson853 - That's an idea. Does this fridge placement interfere with air movement around the back of the fridge? Or is that not even a concern?

artistsharonva - I don't like lazy susans and especially the hinged doors. I'm trying to avoid a lazy susan at all costs.

artistsharonva - I felt the wall cabinets cluttered up the area. I want it to feel open. That's why I took out the side cabinets around the hood. I want to do a DIY hood around that area, so what she has there doesn't represent what it will turn out to be. I wanted to do the floating shelves but was told not to due to grease splatter and dust. I think I'm going to tile it all the way up or partway up just around the range area.

acm - Maybe so, but I loved the look of my breakfast area (before the fridge move). It doesn't feel or look luxurious to me w/the fridge there now. It feels cramped and ugly. At least it's not my vision of how I wanted it to look.

artistsharonva - Yes, it is possible to do the shift and I did discuss w/my KD before. The range looks off-center in these earlier photos, but I don't mind as either way works for me. I think she did do a draft w/the range over to the right a bit when we removed the two cabinets around the hood and made my window wider. The cabinet to the right of the sink was fixed to my liking, but when we moved the fridge and put the window back to the existing size, she somehow changed that cabinet, but not sure why. Like fix the things that I want fixed, but leave other stuff alone.

I want my breakfast area to feel open and that's how I had it before. If I do the cabinet above with the panel, it's going to feel enclosed and cramped. I already feel its cramped w/out the panel. I do like the drawing you did of the corner East wall. That could be the breakfast/coffee area too.

This is how this North wall should look now (w/the exception of the moved fridge and smaller window). Not sure why she changed that right upper cabinet. I believe this is w/the range pushed to the right a bit. This was the organizer draft. She was only supposed to put my window back to its Orig size and move the fridge. You can see the range is moved over. It looks better w/the bigger window, but I don't think we are going to be able to put in a bigger window. It cant be much taller, but can be wider. I don't know the expense of doing it is worth it for just a few inches this way and that way.

This was the lazy susan draft.

The new draft just a few days ago...

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

That’s a standard method of building in any fridge. BLock out behind the wall cabinet to pull it forward and panel the sides. Just the doors protrude from the alcove. Modern fridges “breathe” out the grill at the bottom in the front. They don’t have exposed condenser coils in the rear. It’s pulling forward the cabinets on the side that really decrease the visual bulk of the fridge.

I would do wall cabinets next to the fridge and eliminate the ones next to the range as a trade off. For the L area to the right of the sink. I’d try for a hutch type look with some glass cabinets centered.

Tina S thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • artistsharonva
    4 years ago

This is kind of what I was trying to explain if you did fridge wall combo.

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

See how the center glass cabinets create a hutch effect here? It creates visual interest over just a row of paneled cabinets.

East Memphis Family Kitchen · More Info

Tina S thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The thing is I needed the area for a coffee pot and toaster. I also have a toaster oven (don't use it much and might just get rid of it) and a waffle maker. I wanted it to be more of a roomy area for other breakfast things to go like maybe a place for fruit and muffins, etc. Orig the microwave was to go here but moved it to the island (for now). It definitely won't fit if I keep the fridge here.

These are drafts I did myself before this journey fully began (after visiting w/Ikea). I moved the range off the island and to the wall. Had the fridge on the East middle wall, just didnt like it.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I found myself some side fridge photos. The first one looks to have more room, but at least everything is flush and looks nice. The second photo looks more like what mine would be like. Smaller area, but still looks nice. Not what I wanted, but not much else I can do. I'm getting used to the idea though.

• bens bride
    4 years ago

I recommend heeding the recommendation to not have more than 9 feet between center of work center.) In my first kitchen reno I put about 11 feet between center fridge and center of sink and I grew to understand that it's actually a good rule.

Tina S thanked bens bride
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a window idea that I found too. My current window is about 36" tall and 26" wide. It's recessed and the 12" ledge is on the kitchen side. Bullnose around the window. I'm thinking about putting trim around it and covering up the bullnose. Probably like a craftsman style trim.

Will this help with not making the window look so small, especially when I get my 40" tall cabinets in? What about doing these shelves on each side to balance it all out due to the empty space on each side of the window?

Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Not my window. Just a photo that looks similar to mine, but nicer.

If not shelves, what about lights on each side? I do want a light over the top though. Just trying to get ideas before I email my KD back about these ideas and the fridge.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bens Bride - I know and I wanted to keep my fridge left of the doorway because I liked it there and because of the work triangle too. However, if I keep it there, I cant have my blind organizer. That's mainly what the fuss is all about. Something has to give. In saying that, w/the fridge like it is, it's really small and cramped in that corner. Suggestions are to recess it into the wall and that is being considered.

Currently, the potential breakfast wall is where my range is sitting right now, but a little farther over to the right. I can tell you that location is a pain in the butt. I don't think the fridge placement will bother me that much as its just right over to the other side of the entry and the island is nearby to put stuff onto. So I get y what you are saying. Maybe recessing the fridge will solve the issue. Working on an email to my KD now.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey, Im back. Should I make a new post (link this one to it) or just continue w/this one? I have new drawings and comments to make.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Made a new post. Its taking a while to attach photos though.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

If it were me, I'd make the doorway 36" wide, move the fridge to where the stove is in your original design and move the stove to where the fridge is. I'd use drawers for the corner.

• kel_kat5
    4 years ago

Why keep fridge and dishwasher apart?
    Just wondering. Ours are side by side but there is no room to move it to the other side.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cpartist - The doorway was made bigger than 36” to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter should any of us need it in the future. That entry hall is 6’ then a door, then a landing about 4’. That’s a lot of wall to have to move to the right 7” or so. Not going to happen. My fridge is now right where the stove will be and with the current wall size of 77”, not enough room to put a range.

kel_kat5 - However the layout, the dw needs to be near the sink. My fridge right now is next to the dw (left of the sink) and they don’t even benefit each other. With my new layout and w/the DW to the right of the sink, it will be closer to the dishes, cups and silverware.