SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

Theme Garden Swap

drippy
4 years ago

Some of my past GW swapper friends have indicated that they would like me to host the Theme Garden Swap again, so here I am, for one last year - after that I am passing the baton! Due to time constraints, this will be a fairly short window, and I can take only the first 30 participants.

What's a theme garden? Well, it's any garden built around a theme. Any theme. A memorial garden for someone special. A single color garden. An herb or vegetable garden. A shade garden. A Famous Artists garden. You get the idea; this swap is designed to spark your creativity, and, to some extent, your sense of humor. One year I posted Sun, Moon and Stars as a theme, and a participant sent me Lettuce, Cos (mos). LOL! Use your imagination.

This is NOT a wish list swap, although you may post up to 5 things that you do not want to receive. Also, this may not work out exactly as a pack for pack swap, but I have not had dissatisfied players in the past.

Here's how to play: post your wish to do so, and up to 3 garden themes, by October 30. Posting your growing zone is a plus; other swappers will know not to send you palm tree seeds if you live in Minnesota and don't have a conservatory. Keep an eye on others' postings, and start packaging your seeds. Generally, seeds should not be older than packaged or collected in 2018. That being said, some seeds - onions, china asters, peppers, valerian, for instance - have an even shorter viability than that, so please do some research before you send them in. Also, please clean your seeds as best you can - I do not have time to sort chaff from seeds. It is easiest for me if you direct them to a particular player's theme, being aware that I may shuffle some around if 25 packets of orange marigolds are sent in for someone's Orange Garden. Be reasonable with amount of seeds per package - 5 dictamnus albus seeds, which are rare and hard to collect (and expensive to buy) may be a generous amount; 5 marigold seeds probably not.

On October 30 or 31, I will either message or post my address for sending seeds. I need to have all the seeds by November 15. I realize that doesn't give you a lot of time, but work and holiday plans have me straight out after the first week of December, and I want to have your seeds on the way back to you by then. Your packages must include seeds, your name, mailing address, your GW name, your email, and postage equal to the amount it cost to send your package. Please do not send pre-printed postage labels for return, unless they are not date specific. In years past, I found I could not use them on any date other than the date they were printed, which meant I couldn't use them for the return packages.

I do not have the wherewithal to put together a composite list for this - if anyone wants to volunteer, thank you! Otherwise, all info will be in this posting.

I think that's all - let's have fun! Be creative!

Comments (80)

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome, Zeak! Here's the updated list:

#1 poisondartfrog - Poppies are Popular; Coral Reef (the color coral, related colors, names, more); Curbed, Contained, Confined NO: trees

#2 xiangirl, zone 5 - Husker Theme (red flowers); Melodious Melons (melons, especially early); Self-Sow Garden (marigolds, daisies, larkspur, etc) NO: tomato, pepper, hollyhocks, gourds

#3 B Maggic, zone 6 - Shade Garden; Cottage Classics; Cut and Come Again Flowers (zinnia, cosmos, etc.)

#4 patrob, zone 8a - Ring of Fire; The Birds and the Bees (and the Hummingbirds); Up, Up and Away NO: trees, morning glories, daturas, and vegetables

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#6 lvsgrtdanes, zone6 - Unusual Annuals; Butterfly and Hummingbird; Fragrant NO: vegetables, morning glories, coneflowers, cleome, cosmos

#7 hibiscusfan - Pop Goes the Weasel; Red Hot Mama; Singing the Blues

#8 sandlapper_rose, zone 8 - Arose Such A Clatter (small plants to accompany roses, or to the name); Fall Splendor (fall blooming/producing plants); Lavender's Blue Dilly Dilly (lavender, dill, plants with blue/lavender coloring) NO: cilantro, plants poisonous to pets, plants requiring too much water or are heat sensitive, spreading vines

#9 janinilulu - A Cup of Tea (anything useful for tea, including fruits and vegetables); Blues and Purples (annuals in shades of blues and strong purples, including fruits and vegetables); Magic and Medicine (medicinal/magical plants, including fruits and vegetables)

#10 Zeak zone 8b - Flowers of Fragrance (prefer 4ft or less); My Name (flowers/vegetables with the letters Z,E,A,K) NO: cruciferous or legumes

#31 drippy, zone 9b - One Singular Sensation (one you liked best in your garden); Edible Landscaping; Broadway Shows NO: Trumpet vine, spinach, lilac

• poisondartfrog
    4 years ago

Experiencing a little theme envy as the slots fill up. That's one of the things that make this swap fun.

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap

Q

Comments (148)
    Ok there Lime,,, I will be planting a Spaghetti Squash (for seeds)and will be looking for some Dread Locks amaranth for Meat balls, to be sending you.... And with a name like Fill-More... Well, it's all in the name... Your sure to be getting MUCH more to fill your beds! That just happens to be a new bed started last year- believe me, they are not all so pretty..... and I tried something new- I have never used a purchased mulch before- I have used compost, leaves and grass, and always seem to add more weeds to the beds than moisture retentiveness- but wow! That is the ticket! From now on- every bed will be getting a thick coat of shredded cypress wood mulch! Very few weeds made it through- the water stayed right in the root zone instead of draining away in my sandy loam- so my notorious non watering self could stay "on top" of a need for water schedule. That is a very nice feature Drippy is adding to this swap- she will be sending the excess on the the newbie projects after we are full of seeds! No worries about tossing them- you will be tossing them in the right direction! To those yet to know about this wonderful GW world of seeds and the great folks who share them! I know I sent a ton of seeds in- and I sent in as much postage as they cost to send, but I am going to be sending on a bit more to cover the excess flow being sent on again. I think I will send chocolate and coffee too- Drippy may need it with all these wonderful seeds heading her way! Thanks Terri for the new mantra.... I think.... Julie
    ...See More

Q

Comments (74)
    Hello Everyone, When I arrived home Friday night I had a priority mail box waiting for me on the kitchen table. Anticipation and excitement was everywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened it. Sooooooooooo many seed packets!!!! You are all the BEST! I am so appreciative to Kim and to all of you for these seeds. I did not expect my seeds to be replaced; you have my deepest gratitude. So many different varieties of seeds to try this year that I'm going to be real busy sowing seeds; should keep me out of trouble for a while. Whom I kidding, the more I sow the more trouble I'm in, for I need to find homes for all the babies that grow. In my eyes, that's the best kind of trouble to be in. Alana - I'm really excited to try the Canavalia gladiate (jack & the beanstalk) beans. I'm sure they will be a hit in the grandkids garden. I was telling my one sister in Kansas about them and she's wondering where to get them so she can try them too. Thanks again everyone, you are all the BEST. Wishing everyone a great gardening year with lots of flowers and bountiful veggie harvests! Sandy
    ...See More

NEW: Nth (?) Annual Theme Garden Swap

Q

Comments (141)
    Carrlinesue's package arrived today. I know Moonphase's will be here soon, so I am busily sorting & doing a preliminary check for each person on what was sent vs. what was sent in for them. One of the neat things about this swap is having two ways of packaging. Those that package by individual player make it very easy on the initial sort process. But of course, some of the things that are sent in for a player are the exact varieties they sent to others - since I try to send back all new stuff (don't always succeed 100%, but I have a pretty good track record), the ones who send in seeds packaged by themes they will fit into - and I decide where they go - make the second round much easier. It's all good! :) Kim, the master of the run-on sentence (yikes!)
    ...See More

Q

Comments (120)
    Sounds really great, Kim, thanks! For those of you looking at the wildflower seed mixes on the list, but wondering what in the heck you'd do with them, Trudi (the wintersowing Queen) had an idea I thought I'd pass along. She sows the mixes in a big flat lasagne-style roasting pan and wintersows them. In the spring when it's time to plant out, she cuts the seedlings into little "brownies" about 1" square and plants the plugs about 12-14" apart in the spring. Some of the seeds, and consequently the plants, will be very close together, but apparently this makke no difference....she says the end result is delightful. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you can go to the wintersowing forum or just get a big aluminum roasting pan at the Dollar Store. They are about 3" deep and have a domed plastic cover, also 3" deep (or tall). One pan for $1.00. Prep it for wintersowing by poking holes in the bottom and sides of the pan for drainage, and also the top for ventilation and also watering. A 1/4" diameter hole every 5". Put in 2 1/2" of seed starting mix -- whatever you normally use, and water really well. Let drain. Add more soil if it compressed -- you want it 1/2 fromthe rim of the pan. If it takes too long to drain, put more holes in the bottom, and also the sides, down close to the bottom. Sprinkle the seed mix into the pan and leave it outside with the vented cover on it. In March, start watching for seedlings and make sure the pan doesn't dry out. It will have to be watered every 2-3 days unless you get rain. Depending on the varieties of seed in the package, and where you live, they can be planted out late April-early May. Just around the time of your last frost. Thompson-Morgan sells Cottage Mixtures by color. All blue, all pink, all yellow, all white and maybe more colors. Seems to me anybody could do this using the list drippy sent out along with the wintersowing "brownie" method of Trudi's. A Yellow /White mix of yellow strawflowers, shasta daisies, white scabiosa, Salvia "white Knight', plus yellows: Hellenium, Coreopsis, Daylily &/or Gallardia and whites: Columbine, and Agastache, would make a very large color- coordinated garden that would be pretty, bloom all summer, and provide gorgeous cutflowers. Plus about half of them would come back next year! Sheesh! I wish I had more room here for it! (If you actually try it, you can't use all the seeds from all the packs I mentioned or you will have way too many plants. But I bet you could use 200-300 seeds in the flat -- just mix them all up!) Lime
    ...See More
  • drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, so let's do this, since I expected folks might think of new ideas as time went along. I can still only work with 1-3 themes per person. But since sign-ups are until the 30th, if you want to change a theme before the 25th, or add one if you have less than 3, that would be okay, I think. I have already started, looking at some of these themes, thinking what seeds I can share, and I like to have a little lead time, so make your changes up through the 25th. Ishareflowers, have you come up with themes yet?

My themes are set in stone as honestly, I need more seeds like a hole in the head (but of course, I love swapping :D). I need to get rid of some! I will have a lot of good commercial seeds to share, albeit not rare, and I have been packaging up seeds from my garden. Despite still really learning how to garden in zone 9B (I've lived in 4 different growing zones in the last 10 years), I have managed to harvest 45 different varieties so far, varying amounts.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    4 years ago

Oh, I love theme swaps. Like drippy, I do have PLENTY of seed to start (and I’ll send a reminder to her with my package that getting just a few back is a-ok), so if you don’t have seed to match my themes, don’t worry. My themes:

1. How Low Can You Go? Shorties - under 12 inches in flower. For firescaping, only very low plants should be planted near the home.

2. You Got me Singing the Blues - I’m still working to increase blue and purple flowering plants that survive my conditions (drought, sun & heat tolerant).

3. To contain it “There is no way to contain it, to contain it, to contain, to contain, to contain”. (Willy Wonka’s Welcome song) aka Potted Delights, Great container plants.

PLEASE NO - Nothing that grows above 18 inches tall (so no vines), no pink, no shade lovers, no veggies.

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Wow, this is really shaping up - I'm getting psyched, as I already have some ideas for some folks' themes that I KNOW will make them smile. Welcome, faerygardener!

#1 poisondartfrog - Poppies are Popular; Coral Reef (the color coral, related colors, names, more); Curbed, Contained, Confined NO: trees

#2 xiangirl, zone 5 - Husker Theme (red flowers); Melodious Melons (melons, especially early); Self-Sow Garden (marigolds, daisies, larkspur, etc) NO: tomato, pepper, hollyhocks, gourds

#3 B Maggic, zone 6 - Shade Garden; Cottage Classics; Cut and Come Again Flowers (zinnia, cosmos, etc.)

#4 patrob, zone 8a - Ring of Fire; The Birds and the Bees (and the Hummingbirds); Up, Up and Away NO: trees, morning glories, daturas, and vegetables

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#6 lvsgrtdanes, zone6 - Unusual Annuals; Butterfly and Hummingbird; Fragrant NO: vegetables, morning glories, coneflowers, cleome, cosmos

#8 sandlapper_rose, zone 8 - Arose Such A Clatter (small plants to accompany roses, or to the name); Fall Splendor (fall blooming/producing plants); Lavender's Blue Dilly Dilly (lavender, dill, plants with blue/lavender coloring) NO: cilantro, plants poisonous to pets, plants requiring too much water or are heat sensitive, spreading vines

#9 janinilulu - A Cup of Tea (anything useful for tea, including fruits and vegetables); Blues and Purples (annuals in shades of blues and strong purples, including fruits and vegetables); Magic and Medicine (medicinal/magical plants, including fruits and vegetables)

#10 Zeak zone 8b - Flowers of Fragrance (prefer 4ft or less); My Name (flowers/vegetables with the letters Z,E,A,K) NO: cruciferous or legumes

#11 faerygardener - How Low Can You Go? (short, under 12", flowers); You Got Me Singing the Blues (blue and purple that survive drought, sun, heat); To Contain It (container plants, think Willy Wonka's Welcome song) NO: plants that grow above 18" tall, vines, pink flowers, shade lovers, veggies

#31 drippy, zone 9b - One Singular Sensation (one you liked best in your garden); Edible Landscaping; Broadway Shows NO: Trumpet vine, spinach, lilac

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Is here still a spot?! I'd love to join

4 years ago

3 themes...

1) container vegetables

2) tea time

3) medicinal herbs (good for skin care)

I am allergic to lavender and rosemary. So none of those please. I have super limited space and no real yard only a flower bed.

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is indeed a spot, and welcome, Ben!

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#11 faerygardener - How Low Can You Go? (short, under 12", flowers); You Got Me Singing the Blues (blue and purple that survive drought, sun, heat); To Contain It (container plants, think Willy Wonka's Welcome song) NO: plants that grow above 18" tall, vines, pink flowers, shade lovers, veggies

#12 BenLovesBeets, zone 7b - Container Vegetables, Tea Time, Medicinal Herbs (for skin care NO: lavender, rosemary (allergies!)

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmm, I have sent and received messages from others...I will try to message you, jensyen.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    4 years ago

Received your email and responded. Thanks, Jen

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay y'all, jensyen got me sleuthing here. I do not see the "Message" button that shows up on other people's profiles. I went to edit my profile, under advanced settings there is a question "Who can message me". I selected "Allow anyone to message me" and updated my info, but I still don't see a message button on my profile. Does anyone else see it? What am I doing wrong? I'd like to fix this if I can.

• janinilulu
    4 years ago

Mine's the same!

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Janinilulu, I can see yours. I checked everyone that has signed up so far and can see the Message button on everyone's page, but I can't see my own. That may be just the way it works, but I'd like to know that you can message me if you want. Could someone please check and tell me whether they see the Message button on my page? Thanks!

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, Patrob messaged me through my page, so apparently my Message button is visible to others, just not to myself. It may not have been active, Jensyen, when you tried to message me this afternoon - I did change a setting in my Advanced Settings. I am relieved thinking you can all direct questions to me when you need to.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    4 years ago

Kim, I see a message button on your page now.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

You are all good. We don't message ourselves so we don't see that button on our own profile pagesand we have to click another spot to check the messages. Heidi

• shp123
    4 years ago

Yes, I would like to join. Not sure I understand all the rules yet, but will try. My 3 themes are: 1. Hobby (veg) farming 2. Cottage perennial flower.

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome, shp123! If you have questions, you can post them here on the thread, where either one of the other players or myself will answer them, or you can message me directly.

Please note, y'all - I misread one of Zeak's theme descriptions, and will be updating it in the list as soon as I hear back from him that I have it right. Meanwhile, I am adding shp123.

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#12 BenLovesBeets, zone 7b - Container Vegetables, Tea Time, Medicinal Herbs (for skin care NO: lavender, rosemary (allergies!)

#13 shp123 - Hobby (vegetable) Farming; Cottage Perennial Flowers

• audrey_gw
    4 years ago

I'd like to join with the following themes:

"Black Is the Color of My True Love's Heart"--plants with dark-centered blooms

"Mysterious Mallows"--unusual members of the mallow family

"Out of Africa"--seeds of flowering houseplants or tropicals which originated in Africa, such as pelargoniums, streptocarpuses, etc.

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome, Audrey! Updated list here - I haven't heard back from Zeak, but I did change his name theme criteria as I think he wants it. If I got it wrong again, and he lets me know, I will update it again.

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#10 Zeak zone 8b - Flowers of Fragrance (prefer 4ft or less); My Name (flowers/vegetables with the letters Z, or START with the letters E,A, or K) NO: cruciferous or legumes

#14 audrey_gw - Black is the Color of My True Love's Heart (plants with dark-centered blooms); Mysterious Mallows (unusual members of the mallow family); Out of Africa (houseplants/tropicals that originated in Africa)

• Save
  • poisondartfrog
    4 years ago

She can't post, so here are ishareflowers' themes. Great ones!

1. Ruffle My Feathers...plants with ruffled or feathered blooms.

2. Short and Sweet Annuals

3. Orange and Lovely (orange, peach, apricot)

She wouldn't want vegetable, herb or tree seeds.

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Huh, wonder why she can't post - well, she is getting my messages, anyway, and that's important, because that is how I will send my address at the end of signups. So here we go with another update, and thanks, poisondartfrog:

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa) - Ruffle My Feathers (plants with ruffled or feathered blooms); Short and Sweet Annuals; Orange and Lovely (Orange, Peach, Apricot) NO: vegetables, herbs or trees

#10 Zeak zone 8b - Flowers of Fragrance (prefer 4ft or less); My Name (flowers/vegetables with the letters Z, or START with the letters E,A, or K) NO: cruciferous or legumes

#14 audrey_gw - Black is the Color of My True Love's Heart (plants with dark-centered blooms); Mysterious Mallows (unusual members of the mallow family); Out of Africa (houseplants/tropicals that originated in Africa)

4 years ago

Could I add nothing unsafe for small children or pets since I'll be growing all of this on an enclosed patio where my son and dog play, the dog is often unattended for bouts of time.

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Of course!

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa) - Ruffle My Feathers (plants with ruffled or feathered blooms); Short and Sweet Annuals; Orange and Lovely (Orange, Peach, Apricot) NO: vegetables, herbs or trees

#12 BenLovesBeets, zone 7b - Container Vegetables, Tea Time, Medicinal Herbs (for skin care NO: lavender, rosemary (allergies!), plants unsafe for small children or pets

• primrose1x3
    4 years ago

May I join? Flower Themes are -

1. Blues, glorious blues - from amethyst embedded in Niebelungen cave walls along the Rhine River, to azure of Aegean seas, to blue of bluebirds we used to see flocking along the Patapsco River around here when ice and snow ruled in February - anything blue - saturated or maybe just a smidgeon in close colors on the spectrum. would like plants that cover the ground, like vinca which I already have, or self-sowers like myosotis which I already have, or nemophila which I don't have - shade or sun - low or not-too-biggish - don't have joe-pye-weed, and would love a more compact form than the species

2. Mystical Moonflowers like crepuscular Silenes, woodchuck-resistant wormwoods and moon-reflecting ivory flowers...white/pale Dianthus...white Lychnis chalcedonica

3. Orange & related hues of apricot, chamois, ecru - happy inside pots or self-sowing outside pots

(ps - my woodchuck resistant plant list is here: https://garden.org/blogs/manage/preview/5596

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome, primrose 1x3! Lol, your Blues description is pretty comprehensive, and a good reminder - Players, please check back through the thread to individual postings, as I only summarize the themes in my list. New updated list:

#12 BenLovesBeets, zone 7b - Container Vegetables, Tea Time, Medicinal Herbs (for skin care NO: lavender, rosemary (allergies!), plants unsafe for small children or pets

#15 primrose1x3 - Blues, Glorious Blues (amethyst to azure, blue spectrum, self sowers or groundcovers preferred); Mystical Moonflowers (moon reflecting ivories, woodchuck resistant); Orange, Apricot, Chamois, Ecru (Container or self-sowing in orange spectrum shades)

• Save
  • drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, folks - a couple of changes from ishareflowers; please note. Any other changes, get 'em to me quick - just six more days left for sign ups, and I'd really like to have changes in place in the next day or so. That way folks can start packaging/collecting seeds for those who have already signed up, as I have to receive them by November 15. I will send you all my address and guidelines for sending on October 30.

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa) - Ruffle My Feathers (plants with ruffled or feathered blooms); Short and Sweet Annuals; Orange You Lovely (Orange, Peach, Apricot - already have marigolds and cosmos) NO: vegetables, herbs or trees

#15 primrose1x3 - Blues, Glorious Blues (amethyst to azure, blue spectrum, self sowers or groundcovers preferred); Mystical Moonflowers (moon reflecting ivories, woodchuck resistant); Orange, Apricot, Chamois, Ecru (Container or self-sowing in orange spectrum shades)

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just as a possible way of doing things, although by no means required: this weekend, I am starting to put together seeds from my stash for players who have already signed up. The way I am doing this is with a list, database style (although I do it by hand, lol), with player's name, theme 1, theme 2, theme 3, NO list as columns. Then I go through my "Seeds I Have" list (25 pages single spaced; now you know why I need to find homes for some!) and pull matching seeds, putting them in a bag for that player. That may give you some ideas. It also creates a list, so I can easily see how many packs I've given and whether I am duplicating anyone else's efforts when your seeds arrive.

• shp123
    4 years ago

wow... seems like a lot of work. Thank you for your time and effort!

• janinilulu
    4 years ago

primrose1x3, clicking on the woodchuck resistant plants link resulted in an 'access denied' message. Is is just me?

• midwestfarmwife
    4 years ago

Count me in too! I would like to use a couple of my past themes:

Simply Scentsational - flowers that are fragrant

Old Faithful - perennial flowers that come back year after year

Eye Candy - pretty annuals.

On my no list:

Weeds - Milkweed, Purple Iron Weed, Golden Rod, etc.

Trees or shrubs.

Echinacea - except Cheyenne Spirit

Anything on my have list

Foxglove or Datura

• primrose1x3
    4 years ago

janilulu, I dunno. When it comes to 'pooters, I'm still in the flint-stone chipping stage. Sooo - hope this is all right to post the list here -

Woodchuck Resistant Plants
    (from Penn State Cooperative Extension)
    https://ecosystems.psu.edu/res...

source doc (below), alphabetized:

Achillea sp. (Yarrow)
    Aconitum sp. (Monkshood)
    Ageratum houstonianum
    Allium schoenoprasum (Chives)
    Allium tuberosum (Garlic Chives)
    Amsonia tabernaemontana
    Anemone blanda (Windflower)
    Antirrhinum majus (Snapdragon)
    Artemisia sp. (Wormwood)
    Asarum candense (Wild Ginger)
    Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Weed)
    Astilbe sp.
    Calluna sp. (Heather)
    Ceratostigma plumbaginoides (Plumbago)
    Convallaria majalis (Lily-of-the-Valley)
    Coreopsis verticillata (Threadleaf Coreopsis)
    Delphinium sp.
    Dennstaedtia punctilobula (Hay-scented Fern)
    Dianthus sp. (includes Carnation, Pinks, Sweet William)
    Dicentra eximia (Fringed Bleeding-heart)
    Dicentra spectabilis (Bleeding Heart)
    Digitalis sp. (Foxglove)
    Festuca ovina var. glauca (Blue Fescue)
    Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel)
    Gaillardia pulchella
    Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff)
    Gypsophila paniculata (Baby's Breath)
    Helleborus sp.
    Hemerocallis 'Stella d'Oro' (Daylily cv.)
    Heuchera americana)
    Iris sp.
    Lavandula sp. (Lavender)
    Lobularia maritima (Sweet Alyssum)
    Melissa officinalis Lemon Balm
    Narcissus sp. (Daffodil)
    Nepeta catarina (Catmint)
    Nicotiana alata (Flowering Tobacco)
    Oenothera tetragona (Sundrops)
    Paeonia sp. (Peony)
    Pelargonium citrosum (Geranium, Citronella)
    Perovskia atriplicifolia (Russian Sage)
    Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas Fern)
    Rudbeckia sp.
    Saponaria officinalis (Soapwort)
    Sedum sp.
    Stachys byzantina (Lamb's Ears)
    Tanacetum parthenium (Feverfew) (syn. Chrysanthemum parthenium)
    Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)
    Thymus sp

Tweaking the above list, I'd prefer different species or cultivars of alliums, coreopsis, gaillardia, nepeta, nicotiana, oenothera (white), pelargonium, Saponaria, stachys, tanacetum & tansy - low growing.

I haven't figured out how to use my GW home page either - things are rather unsettled at home right now.

yours in dinosaur-hood,

karen

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome, midwestfarmwife! Updated list:

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa) - Ruffle My Feathers (plants with ruffled or feathered blooms); Short and Sweet Annuals; Orange You Lovely (Orange, Peach, Apricot - already have marigolds and cosmos) NO: vegetables, herbs or trees

#16 midwestfarmwife - Simply Scentsational (fragrant flowers); Old Faithful (long-lived perennials); Eye Candy (pretty annuals) NO: weeds (milkweed, purple ironweed, goldenrod, etc), trees or shrubs, echinacea except Cheyenne Spirit, anything on my have list, foxglove or datura)

• Save
  • luvsgrtdanes
    4 years ago

Hi guys, I sent Drippy a message but wanted to let you all know I'll be backing out of the swap. I'm really sorry but I got in over my head with too much stuff at one time and I just can't commit to this like I'd like to.

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We will miss luvsgrtdanes, for sure. Here is an updated list - for simplicity's sake, and for those of you who, like me, have started to match seeds with players, I am leaving the original numbers the way they are. Sorry if that bugs the tidy among us!

#16 midwestfarmwife - Simply Scentsational (fragrant flowers); Old Faithful (long-lived perennials); Eye Candy (pretty annuals) NO: weeds (milkweed, purple ironweed, goldenrod, etc), trees or shrubs, echinacea except Cheyenne Spirit, anything on my have list, foxglove or datura)

• browneyedsusan_gw
    4 years ago

Please sign me up!

My themes:

If you can't take the heat, get out of my garden: annual or perennial flowers that can take heat and drought

Glow-in-the-dark: shade-loving plants/flowers

Leave it alone: plants with pretty foliage

Please, NO invasive plants, weeds, etc.

Thanks,

Susan

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome, browneyedsusan_gw! Updated list:

#17 browneyedsusan_gw - If You Can't Take the Heat, Get Out of My Garden (annuals and perennials for heat and drought); Glow-In-The-Dark (shade loving plants/flowers); Leave It Alone (plants with pretty foliage) NO: invasive plants, weeds

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tomorrow (October 30) is the last day to sign up, so if you know anyone who has been on the fence, now is the time! I really can't take late signups - I have already started packaging seeds so that I am not running behind on returns. Watch your messages tomorrow and Thursday; I will send shipping info and a few guidelines, hopefully answering a few questions. Remember, if you have questions, either message me directly (via the Message button on my page), or post them here - I get notifications from Houzz whenever any new messages or posts happen.

Let the fun begin!

• Unnati Hall
    4 years ago

1. Alice in Wonderland

2. Pretty to look at and eat - edible flowers/plants

3. Black crows - all black flowering plants

Zone 9B

This is going to be fun!

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome Unnati Hall! In under the wire, and a fellow 9b-er (I'm Central Florida). Here's the updated list:

#17 browneyedsusan_gw - If You Can't Take the Heat, Get Out of My Garden (annuals and perennials for heat and drought); Glow-In-The-Dark (shade loving plants/flowers); Leave It Alone (plants with pretty foliage) NO: invasive plants, weeds

#18 Unnati Hall, zone 9b - Alice in Wonderland; Pretty to Look At and Eat (edible flowers/plants), Black Crows (all black flowering plants)

• Save
  • mtprairiewinds
    4 years ago

Just coming across this. I'll join.

#1 Dainty with a Touch of Tough Love (Beautiful Blooms that can survive up North with high winds)

#2 One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater (Anything that looks like it has eyes, horns, wings, and/or puple blooms)

#3 Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend (Something that can get hard pressed and come out looking beautiful- Montana high desert will be the crushing force)

No milkweed, calendula, peppers, squash or melons

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, all - I have sent out info, supposedly successfully, to the first players on the list up through Faerygardener. For some reason, Houzz started bouncing my messages starting with BenLovesBeets. This probably is an anti-bot policy, so maybe good. I will try again in the morning to get the info to the rest of you. If that doesn't work, I will go to a different plan.

I also plan on starting a new thread tomorrow, to let me know when your seeds are sent, and for me to let you know when yours are on the way back to you. You will need to keep tabs on this one, though, to read through theme descriptions as you are preparing your seeds.

Let the games begin!

• mtprairiewinds
    4 years ago

Forgot to add my zone- I'm in zone 2

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another new arrival - welcome mtprairiewinds! Updated list:

#7 hibiscusfan, zone 6 - Pop Goes the Weasel; Red Hot Mama; Singing the Blues

#9 janinilulu, zone 6 - A Cup of Tea (anything useful for tea, including fruits and vegetables); Blues and Purples (annuals in shades of blues and strong purples, including fruits and vegetables); Magic and Medicine (medicinal/magical plants, including fruits and vegetables)

#13 shp123, zone 7a - Hobby (vegetable) Farming; Cottage Perennial Flowers

#15 primrose1x3, zone 7a - Blues, Glorious Blues (amethyst to azure, blue spectrum, self sowers or groundcovers preferred); Mystical Moonflowers (moon reflecting ivories, woodchuck resistant); Orange, Apricot, Chamois, Ecru (Container or self-sowing in orange spectrum shades)

#17 browneyedsusan_gw, zone 8a - If You Can't Take the Heat, Get Out of My Garden (annuals and perennials for heat and drought); Glow-In-The-Dark (shade loving plants/flowers); Leave It Alone (plants with pretty foliage) NO: invasive plants, weeds

#18 Unnati Hall, zone 9b - Alice in Wonderland; Pretty to Look At and Eat (edible flowers/plants), Black Crows (all black flowering plants)

#19 mtprairiewinds, zone 2 - Dainty With a Touch of Tough Love (beautiful blooms that can survive up north with high winds); One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater (anything that looks like it has eyes, horns, wings or purple blooms); Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend (anything that can get hard pressed and come out looking beautiful - Montana high desert will be the crushing force) NO: milkweed, calendula, peppers, squash, or melons

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, I am about to start a new thread. Houzz is still bouncing my attempts to get messages through. Since it hasn't been 24 hours since I got the last group through, I will try again later tonight. If that fails, I will post an email address for you to contact me directly - I prefer not to openly post my email address, but will if I have to. Another angle we could try, if you see this, would be to have you message me through Houzz and see if I can reply to that. This affects the following players: BenLovesBeets, shp123, audrey_gw, primrose1x3, midwestfarmwife, browneyedsusan_gw, Unnati Hall, and mtprairiewinds. The rest of you should have my contact information; message me if you didn't get it.

Gotta love technology!

• sandlapper_rose
    4 years ago

drippy, I didn't get your address and tried to message you through Houzz and I get an error reading and it's not going through. Perhaps someone who has my information from the FOTESS or OBF group can send your address to me by message or email. Thanks!

• drippy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am having no luck with messaging through Houzz. Please email me at wheeleryeaton@gmail.com, indicating that this is Theme Garden Swap in the subject line (so I don't think it's spam), include and email address, and I will send all the info from my main computer. The gmail address is an alternate email address for me.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    4 years ago

Did you get my pkg?

• mtprairiewinds
    4 years ago

Drippy- My package arrived today. Thanks so much!

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator