SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Fragrance of Antique Roses vs Modern Roses

katyajini
4 years ago

Long ago I read a book on roses (that was written years prior to my reading, so an old book) that unabashedly said there is no modern rose whose fragrance can compare to the fragrance of antique roses, both in beauty and intensity. By the end of the book I was left with the feeling that it is sacrilege to even think a modern rose can have fragrance like a OGR.

Well I took the message to heart, and set out to garden with several OGRs that are known to be particularly fragrant. And a few modern roses that someone recommended to me as very fragrant.

was overwhelmed by the fragrance of the OGRs. And their flowing, unmeasured beauty. I could not move away from these roses or I would keep running back to my garden to smell them. The modern roses were just OK. Could not get excited by the few that I had.

This winter I ordered a very large number of modern roses after reading comments here about their extraordinary fragrance, without ever having smelled them. The only group of modern roses I have not ordered from yet are the David Austins. There certainly are a lot more adjectives describing the scent of modern roses...litchis, myrhh, clove apple....I certainly hope they give me joy.

Please comment what your feelings are about what characterizes the fragrance of modern vs OGRs. I understand that in many peoples minds there may not even be such a division. I also understand that this is a completely subjective point of view and that is what I would like to know.

Comments (56)

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Jerijen,

Your opinion is much appreciated. It is a fact that OGR defenders are vocal about their views. I stand behind every word I wrote. Personal experience is the best teacher.

Moses

katyajini thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • User
    4 years ago

“Old roses have horrible growth habits, poor to no repeat, disease prone foliage, very short bloom life, poor bloom weather resistance.....you name it, they're subject it, with very few exceptions.”

Most of these complaints apply equally to many, many selections in the Hybrid Tea/Floribunda classes as well. I find that most modern/HT defenders are also quite vocal about their opinions, and are often quite dismissive of Roses that do not fit their concept of “ideal”.

Moses, if this is your attitude towards OGR types, then why do you participate in any of the Antique Roses discussions at all??!

• Related Discussions

Opposite ? - Favorite Antiques for a newbie Modern Rose person

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi harmonyp, I also love very fragrant roses which are packed with petals. One of the best for me has been the hybrid perpetual Baronne Prevost. Simply gorgeous and reblooms a lot throughout the year (stops in the cold of winter). But keep in mind I am in Southern California. Mine has been planted next to a stream which is across from a horse pasture. I planted it in about 2004, and it has never been pruned. You can see pics on Help Me Find. It's a bit taller than you wanted, but I think it can easily be kept in bounds if trimmed a little. I don't like pruning, so it doesn't happen.;) Another one you might want to try someone else has already suggested, La Reine, also a hybrid perpetual. A lovely rose, bright rose pink with silvery reverse to the petals. Stayed in the smaller range for me, about 4 feet tall and richly foliaged all the way to the ground (no bare legs on this rose). Both of these plants are in stock at the Antique Rose Emporium in Texas. Along with Vintage one of my favorite sources for roses. ARE's plants are BIG (in 2-gallon containers). I bought 2 from them this year and both have really taken off. One is Marchesa Boccella, another you could try. It has been a very easy rose for me (I had it in the past and just loved it). Here is a link that might be useful: Baronne Prevost
    ...See More

Modern Roses in an Old Rose Garden

Q

Comments (20)
    How refreshing to hear you all accepting "other" roses into your old rose gardens! Harry I love your exuberant garden! (I NEED that Mandarin honeysuckle, tell me where you found it!) peplill, that Kordes 'Grandmaster' is incredible. I've never heard of it but it reminds me of something, I can't remember what just now. Olga, I've admitted to having a Knockout and a Blushing Knockout and, yes, they have their place and function. As a sidenote, I've wanted to SP KO for two years now and my DH has persuaded me to think otherwise. His logic is how can you want to dig out the most disease resistant, insect resistant, floriferous, most densly foliated, and hardiest rose in our garden? That's when I give it another chance until I can figure out another rose that has the same qualifications I can replace it with (when he's on a business trip!) Blushing KO is a more pleasing pink with bluish green foliage, better to blend with other roses so it stays. I also have Carefree Sunshine (thank you Jean!) which is new to me last year but is turning out to be sensational. It is a soft butter yellow and just as disease resistant as the KOs. Of course, most of the hybrid musks qualify, lots of shrubs, oh, Sally Holmes definitely, and rugosa hybrids, there are just too many to mention. I haven't had much luck with the floribundas I've tried, something about the wavy petal form that doesn't match, or color, or stiffness, I don't know what it is. Think about bloom form, color, and fragrance and try to match them to the antiques you love. It's fun! My new love - Autumn Sunset with goldflame honeysuckle
    ...See More

old roses vs. modern reproductions

Q

Comments (61)
    I have grown both David Austin roses and OGRs in Southern California. I no longer grow OGRs, and I have become a David Austin rose addict. Many Austin roses now have exceptional health, very good repeat bloom and heavenly fragrance. While some OGRs are also strong in these same categories, I know of few that put all the qualities together in the same rose. What I have found especially lacking in OGRs (with the exception of the Portland Rose de Rescht) is a good repeat bloom. Many do not repeat at all, and of those that do rebloom, it is often just a light autumn bloom. I once tried to grow the once-blooming Damask Madame Hardy, and I don't think it produced more than 3 flowers in the 3 or 4 years that I grew it. I don't think it liked the lack of chill in Southern California. I finally removed it. In contrast, I find that many, but not all, David Austin roses equal or surpass the OGRs in their old-fashioned beauty and fragrance; and some are in almost constant bloom. My prime example is the Austin rose Tamora. The repeat bloom in my garden has been as good as any floribunda, and I find the myrrh fragrance to be exceptional. Some people complain that Austin roses are too big for ordinary gardens, but there are cultivars that remain relatively small. Prospero reliably holds to the size of a floribunda in my garden, and Tamora is a little bigger. I also am growing some new varieties that most probably will remain the size of a floribunda or HT: Young Lycidas, Olivia Rose Austin, Boscobel, Munstead Wood, Princess Alexandra of Kent and Heathcliff. Many of the bigger Austin shrub roses make good climbers, and there are repeat-blooming ramblers, as well. I am growing The Albrighton Rambler along my balcony, and I have been very pleased with its repeat bloom and health. All-in-all, David Austin roses are by far my favorites.
    ...See More

Old Rose vs. Modern Rose Fragrance

Q

Comments (74)
    There IS an "old rose scent". Roses express it in many permutations, that is, with different additions of other scents in more or less quantity. The old rose with the purest "old rose scent" that I have experienced is unidentified from an Indiana farm that was passed down through a number of generations. I gave a rooted cutting to Christopher. I hope that it survived. I am not adept enough at rose classification to say what class it belongs to. It is a once bloomer, medium to light pink, button eye, with about a 2" diameter flower. It is true that the perception of scent differs from person to person yet anyone I have seen who has smelled this rose has been enchanted. I have grown Tiffany, Fragrant Cloud, Blanc Double de Coubert, Rose de Rescht, Reine des Violettes, Souvenir de Claudius Denoyel, Crimson Glory, Chrysler Imperial, Munstead Wood, Proud Land, Autumn Damask (pink), Comte de Chambord, Jacques Cartier, Zephrin Drouhin, etc. and sniffed wild rugosa roses on a beach (clove scent, wonderful but not "old rose"). Also, I have noticed that many of the c. mid 20th century roses with decent "old rose scent" such as Crimson Glory and Chrysler Imperial develop a less pleasing scent as they age. Does anyone else sense this as well? Cath P.S. If you really want to smell the "old rose" scent, buy a vial of true attar of roses. Put the stopper right up to your nose. That medicinal scent is not it. No rose has a scent that concentrated. Then slowly move the stopper away from your nose in increments. You will know it when you smell it.
    ...See More
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

What an interesting conversation! I do know that fragrance is very subjective, as everyone has pointed out, and I’ve just decided I’ll figure it out for myself. I myself swoon over a fragrant bloom, but I’m also addicted to color, and love the rich hues expressed by rose petals. I just took a count this weekend, and stopped at 100—how did this happen??

Well, I just love roses. Every type. I love OGR climbers, even if they only bloom once, because that makes the bloom so much more precious. I love moderns like Fragrant Cloud for its amazing scent, and Munstead Wood for its rich color. I love the history behind Noisettes and Teas, and the fact that I can have a 300 year old rose in my garden is just delightful. I love singles, and cupped roses, minis and button-centered flat blooms. I love gorgeous colors without scents, and muted pastels with rich fragrance. I really enjoy all this diversity, so I don’t limit myself to any class. I want to experience every manifestation of the wonder of the Rose. It’s what brings me so much joy when I walk through my garden. :-)

katyajini thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Well, after my gushy response I realized that I DO limit myself—only based on my zone, and only to a certain extent, in regards to health. I haven’t explored gallicas or damasks, and bourbons are very limited in my garden for that reason.

Health is probably my most discerning element, since I garden with many creatures and therefore avoid any treatments that could harm them. I’ll research extensively, but if I’ve fallen in love with a Rose, I’ll still give it a chance in the no-spray microclimate of my garden. :-)

katyajini thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • jerijen
    4 years ago

Sure! Perma -- IMHO, you're on the right track.

All ANY of us needs to remember is that one person's awkward plant is another's perfection. And a plant (rose or other) that is lovely and disease-free in one person's microclimate is a disaster in someone else's.

Some people hate roses altogether.

That's their privilege. I disagree with them, and think that a lack of subtlety robs them of much ... but they can believe what they want to believe.

All that said, someone who has decided that they loathe all Old Roses should probably visit a forum more to their liking.

katyajini thanked jerijen
  • roseseek
    4 years ago

Uh, he probably was. Houzz, in their "infinite wisdom" now permit all forums to be posted to at once so this post was in both old and new rose forums.

katyajini thanked roseseek
  • jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

Moses, there is no such thing as an "OGR", except in the arbitrary opinion of the ARS, which is based on strictly on dates.

There are many many classes of "old roses". Some are better in freezing winter climates such as yours (most of the old European roses HATE my climate, which does not have enough winter chill hours for them - I can say the same for most tulips). Many of the repeat blooming types of old roses, such as the chinas and teas, only thrive in warm weather (with only MILD, mostly non freezing winters) climates, which would exclude yours altogether. It appears from your comments that the importance of choosing roses which love the particular climate where they are to be grown was not considered when the failed old roses were planted in your garden. That is unfortunate, but it does not make your way too general comments correct.

(BTW, I have never seen anyone comment that "old roses have no winter dieback" in cold winter climates. That would be a ridiculous statement. It would totally depend on the TYPE of old rose, of course. Most of the warm weather loving old roses I grow, if moved to your climate, might DIE altogether in your winters, not just die back. On the other hand, there are rugosas, which is an old type of rose, which thrive on the coast of Maine 12 months of the year, going so far as to naturalize there.)

It is good that you have found roses which do like your climate - congratulations! Trying to grow any sort of plants which are not suited to your growing conditions can only result in failure and frustration, so your disappointment is understandable. Keep growing roses (and other plants) which succeed in your garden - that is how I figured out that roses have climactic preferences - trial and error. Unfortunately, most rose books and catalogues will not give you the proper information on that subject.

Jackie

katyajini thanked jacqueline9CA
  • jerijen
    4 years ago

Nevertheless, posting to an OGR-oriented forum that you find Older Roses to be ugly or objectionable is rather like walking up to someone in a park, and saying: "Madame, your children are ugly and stupid."

• User
    4 years ago

Oh Jeri! LOLOL!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Although Mrs B R Cant might not be technically a OGR (1901), she is still pretty old lol. I really love her fragrance. I think she is one of my all time favorites. She is disease free. She looks like a Valentine's Day Sweetheart and smells just like candy!

Pretty hot for an older chick! :)

katyajini thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    4 years ago

Moses is, unfortunately, in an area that is too cold for most of the well-repeating old roses such as Chinas, Teas, and Noisettes. So that leaves Bourbons and Hybrid Perpetuals and the handful of repeating Damasks and Mosses, which have some real zingers in there as far as health goes -- but also many that do well. However, this leaves mostly once-blooming roses of the old roses that will grow in his zone, and they then have to contend with the hot and humid summers in this area. I'm a bit further south and closer to the ocean here in NJ, making my gardening zone 7a, so I can enjoy those old roses that love our Summers but hate our Winters, and here, Chinas and Teas didn't get much or any disease for me, save for a touch of mildew on some in Spring that mostly went away on its own. So while Moses' assessment of old roses in his area may be accurate for the types that can survive his Winters, I do wish he'd have qualified his statements with "the old roses I've grown" or "the old roses that can grow here" or something to that effect, rather than just lumping all old roses together and stating it as an "it is so" statement.

The roses he touted as being superior get rather naked a my job, where I DO spray. However, the handful of Chinas and Teas and Noisettes in the collection remain "rudely healthy" once they've recovered from what Winter took away, and they bloom a lot. There are also some Polyanthas from the late 19th and early 20th Centuries that, in my opinion, function as successful bedding plants for a longer period of the growing season than most of the Floribundas, since the Polys are generally healthier and bloom longer. Lin, you probably remember seeing 'Borderer' in the Polyantha beds in the center of the middle section at my job -- that rose looks brand new, but it's about 100 years old, being a Wichurana-based Poly bred by Alister Clark. Of course, there are also quite a few newer roses that do very well all season, but they're not typically Floribundas or Hybrid Teas. One rose I always mention to someone asking me questions at work is 'Limoncello', which keeps all its leaves, always has flowers, and which hasn't been dead-headed all season. It's not strongly fragrant, however, but for a colorful healthy shrub, it's pretty good. But I also point out "Maggie" which, to me, is a great "compromise" between a healthy red China and a fragrant Bourbon, having the best traits of both.

I like the old roses and give them more attention because I think they still have their place within a garden. And because I think they're not as well-known, I tend to try to compensate by pointing them out. But the newer roses have their place in gardens where they fit. When I get asked for rose recommendations by park patrons, I first ask them what they want the rose to do, the general shape of the plant, is it for garden color or blooms for the vase, etc. There are many applications of old roses that wouldn't work for modern roses, and also vice versa. Personally, I'm not drawn to the formal style gardens like where I work, but if one was, it's hard to do that with just old roses. And if you're like me and enjoy roses within mixed gardens, the old roses work well when utilized as "flowering shrubs" or "flowering climbers" or otherwise utilized as their growth habits are. But even HTs and Floribundas can work this way as well -- how many times do we see a stiffly upright perennial chosen as a focal point for a mixed garden? Well, a stiffly-upright HT can do that as well.

:-)

~Christopher

katyajini thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
    4 years ago

Paul,

I have not posted on the Antique Rose site for years. If any of my posts have appeared there let me know which ones, please.

Moses

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    4 years ago

This thread was posted both on the Antique Roses and general Roses forums.

~Christopher

• jerijen
    4 years ago

Moses. This one, clearly, did.

• User
    4 years ago

@Moses: I am only concerned with the rather dismissive post you made here today. Your attitude doesn't encourage me to seek out others.

• jerijen
    4 years ago

It might be wise to watch where HOUZZ is putting your posts.

4 years ago

Paul,

When I cannot express myself freely, without being bombarded with a torrent of objections from fellow Roses Forum members who do not like what I have to say, particularly when it escalates to ad hominem attacks, as in you, Paul, referring to my "attitude," perhaps it's time for me to say good-bye to the Houzz Garden Web.

Moses

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    4 years ago

Moses, I think the issue is that while stating your experiences, you did so in an absolute "it is so" way, rather than in an "in my opinion and garden, modern roses work better" way. Your last two paragraphs in your first post in this thread came across as stating that your opinion and experiences were just how it is, and to disagree would mean we're either fooling ourselves or lying. We all have different tastes, expectations, and conditions, so one person's "superior" is likely not another's. That's fine. But you wrote as though we must have all had the same experiences as you, which is not the case. And that's what caused the ruffled feathers.

~Christopher

• roseseek
    4 years ago

" jerijen

Nevertheless, posting to an OGR-oriented forum that you find Older Roses to be ugly or objectionable is rather like walking up to someone in a park, and saying: "Madame, your children are ugly and stupid." "

Even if they ARE? (ducking and running for cover! LOL!)

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Houzz didn't put the post anywhere. The original poster cross posted it to both Roses and Antique Roses.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    4 years ago

If (IF) this forum ever was to have a moderator, Christopher would be my choice.

I accessed this discussion from the Roses forum. Like most posters here, I did not initially realize that it was also posted in a second forum.

Houzz did not force this discussion to be posted in 2 forums.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    4 years ago

Kim, that appears to be a default which must be actively declined when posting by un-clicking the Houzz-suggested forum. If you do nothing, it goes where the Houzz software thinks it should go, in addition to the forum you choose.

~Christopher

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Perhaps there is some setting which makes it that way, Christopher, but when I post, if I want it in more than the one, I must enter the ones I wish it to appear in.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have not been getting any notifications of posting on this thread, why is that? I did get notified of the two likes of the discussion. Why is that????

First Moses: Please do continue to post what you think and what is your personal experience. No matter what others say it is fully understood what you are saying is your opinion only, and come with whatever strengths and limitations...... Unless you put it within quotes and site a reference. And so you stated your opinion based on your experience. I am not at all offended by what you said. I did want comments from your personal experience. And I welcome it. I think a concern may be that someone writes something totally wrong and others are misled by it. However, I, and I bet most people here, are circumspect and judicious enough not to make up there minds regarding any rose group from one assertive comment. If they are deeply influenced about say OGRs by one comment on a forum open to the public and unmoderated by any expert then their decisions are not worth much. I have to say I like both the rose forums very much. Like AquaEyes said in his last comment.....

I am getting some of the modern roses you mention here and in other posts to try out for myself. Thank you for mentioning them to me!

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    4 years ago

Katjajini, I am also not getting notification on most of the postposts I started or commented. Its It's been like that for the past 2 or 3 days.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

roseseek, what you said is so true, If the 'antique' roses are here so, so, long then people must have found something in them worth growing. Survival of the loveliest! And I do think, specially after spending this season on the rose forums, there must be something in the new roses showing up every year that they are loved as much by the forum members.

to roseseek and Paul: I was of kind of arriving at what you are saying about fragrance components. In modern roses I smell many other 'notes' not just what I know or think to be THE scent of a rose. And that blend can be wonderful. More and more different fragrance genes are being bred into the newer roses and the rose scent does seem to get diluted.....I want to say something here that others may disagree....THE rose scent is one or several molecules. I think I get some kind of rapturous feeling. like a high, when I smell a classic rose. Later I read that at least for some people the rose scent can act as an antidepressant or create euphoria temporarily. That happens to me.

Thanks for Tiffany and others!!!!!

4 years ago

Katyajini,

Thank you for your response above.

My initial post was a personal experience statement in response to the opening sentence in your last paragraph: "Please comment what your FEELINGS are..." You concluded the paragraph with: ".... this is a completely subjective point of view and that IS what I would like to know."

I therefore let you know what my subjective feelings are. That's what you asked for. I'm glad your comment above expresses an appreciation of my directness, since again, that's what you wanted.

I am sorry many of the the other posters did not respond favorably to my post. Much time and energy was wasted on them excoriating me, when they could have better spent their energy answering your question.

It does show, however, the passion OGR devotees exhibit when a negativity, even a verifiable one, is expressed about an OGR.

Moses

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    4 years ago

Just now, as a test, I began to start a new discussion in the Rose forum. I titled it “Baubles, bangles, doorways, and beads”. The text consisted of 1 word: roses. Houzz assigned it to the Rose forum, and gave me the option of also selecting from their entire menu of topics, with a limit of 3( I think). It did not suggest/select any other topic (which I could then decline).

jerijenNevertheless, posting to an OGR-oriented forum that you find Older Roses to be ugly or objectionable is rather like walking up to someone in a park, and saying: "Madame, your children are ugly and stupid."

Moses is to be faulted for not recognizing that for some posters, roses are just like their children. bad Moses!

katyajini thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Everyone else thank you so much. Christopher you always educate me: Thank you! Sultry I am looking up your old chick. (someday someone is going to call me a old chick if they dont already, uuh shudder). Perma I am so much where you are almost word for word, maybe a just a little more inclined to want fragrance.

Rekha, I thought non-techie me is messing up. Maybe it will sort itself out?

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

I am actually interested in what Moses has to say, as he is an experienced rose grower -- even though I do love the old roses - and many new ones, too

katyajini thanked monarda_gw
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    4 years ago

Sometimes, all that's needed when expressing an opinion are a few simple words tacked on:

"In my experience....."

"Here in my area....."

"Personally, I think that..."

If one leaves those pieces out, one's opinion reads like one is stating irrefutable facts, which will incite argument from anyone who has had different experiences. But say "Here, these work best for me and my needs" or something to that effect and there's really nothing anyone else can argue.

Then there's the equal-and-opposite test -- substitute the opinion that's counter to yours, but leave the rest of the language, and see if that would bug you. For example, I know people in the south east who'd deride most modern roses as being disease magnets but praise the old ever-blooming Chinas, Teas, Noisettes, Polyanthas, etc. If one of them wrote a dismissal of modern roses based on those experiences but didn't qualify that, instead just saying that modern roses were a waste of time, that'd probably annoy some people as well, no?

Anywho, if you'd like something rather healthy and long-blooming and very fragrant that is old, you can't do much better than trying Rosa moschata in the single-form. Mine starts blooming right around July when most of the others have finished their first flush, then keeps going until frost. Winter hits it too hard to make much of it as a climber, but if you just prune out the damage and let it grow as it wants through the season, you'll have a nice small-to-medium blooming shrub that makes clove-scented flowers. And mine doesn't get blackspot. Use it as a scented focal point in a mixed garden with Summer-blooming perennials and you'll enjoy it. Since we're both in NJ, I figured that'd be something to suggest.

~Christopher

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Jasmin, i have Mrs. B R Cant but I cant smell her maybe next year or Maybe it is my nose....lol.

I love the scent of Marie Pavie. I do get a little waft from Rose de Retch as i by pass her and also Baronne Prevost. it is weird that now i cant smell Maggie anymore maybe i got used to it bec it is always in bloom....who knows :}

Paul thanks for reminding me about Tiffany. She smells delicious when i visit Dr. Manners [2 yrs ago}. but i am curious, do you grow a climbing Tiffany. i wonder how she performs as a climber ?

Moses, i was looking at some of the roses you mention bec i was on Nelsons nursery homepage [ this morning } and thinking of getting a few But i heard so much about Bolero .

i love Mr. Lincoln that came with this house. it smells really good.

oh, i have tell you guys this story:

In the month of May. I keep smelling this beautiful and very heavy perfume scent and it wafts in the air. My husband who can never smell anything and i meant anything smell it and he brought me out. i try to smell my roses and could not detect anything. thought it was Marie Pavie but the scent was very different. so, i thought it must be my neighbor who has a huge Gardenia plant that is a size of a tree. Than i thought maybe it is my Magnolia tree at the front of the house. i told Lisa from day one. finally i called my neighbor and told her stand outside...she said she also smells it. she is 2 houses down. i ask about her Gardenia and if she smells it. She told me her Gardenia was not in bloom and she thought it was on my side [roses]. Days went by and the scent got stronger and stronger. wherever i go in my garden by the pool or way back in corner i can smell it but when i go in front was nothing. the next day, i saw where it came from. Very , very heavy saturated scent from little , little very tiny flowers. This plant also came with the house and i was ready to removed it and now i am keeping it for sure. i try to google up with help of Vap. figured out together. it is called Dracaena fragrans.

i will try to post the picture later . i tell you what, every flying insects was on that DF like tons of bees , wasps, Bumble bees....attracted so many pollinators and i could not pulled a stalk down to have a closer look. that pollinators were glue to it like magnet and i never got the chance to inspect it closer.

excuse the mess as it is untouch area of my little jungle.....lol.

this would be so much faster if Houzz is working properly. i miss my handy dandy phone.

katyajini thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Perma you are telling me that the corn plant has fragrant, crazy fragrant, flowers???

RdR so lovely but does not waft for me eithe.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Aqua: I am looking up Rosa moschata...

4 years ago

this is nuts sending pics as email to myself first. That is the area i was going to do a huge clean up. it is the strongest scent i have ever smell.

jin

katyajini thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Plumeria, I keep getting you mixed up with Perma, SORRY!!!!

You can knock me over with a feather. Thats a corn plant? The ones I see are about 2 feet. Simply awe inspiring. I have to visit FL again, very soon.

4 years ago

Christopher,

No preface was needed in my original post. I answered Katyajini's question as she requested....my feeling and subjectivity. That's all. I delivered. What more can be said?

Moses

• User
    4 years ago

"Tell me that antique roses are superior to modern roses, like: Evelyn, Double Delight, Pope John Paul II, Princess Charlene of Monaco, Bolero, Mr. Lincoln, Memorial Day, the list is endless... that they are inferior to any of the best Antique roses, and you are deceiving yourself, not me, anymore."

Subjective??

4 years ago

Fortunately, Paul, control of free speech "We" would like to implement, has not yet hit the Roses Forum. If "We's," wish came true, "We's," sentiments may turn against me, and likewise turn against "We".

Moses

4 years ago

i see both sides. You are both right, Jeri and Moses.

lets drop this topic bec threads like that should be done separately and not posted on both sides as one. I could see issues happening . . PLs....lets drop it .

katyahini, this is not your fault as you are very new here. People are from all over the States and Countries. different race, different ethnicity, different cultures , different lifestyles , different professions and we all are different in so many ways. So one person's opinion can hurt someone's feelings . We have lost a lot of forum members for whatever reasons. It is best to GOOGLE most of the questions or keep them separated . Topics like that should kept separated bec of many cultures and upbringings. Everyone is different and when you put them together [posted on both sides as together] it collides. That's why you see some of us goes on both sides of the forums and you will see some don't. It is kept separated for a reason . You will know who stays on Antique and who stays on Rose forum.

No one is leaving the forums bec We all love roses and that's the line.

i been sitting here thinking all this time and i have two people already posted after my comment. i am trying to write without pissing anyone else. SO , LETS be ROSE friends.

If I offended anyone than i am sorry and apologize ahead of time. we are all grown up's here.

Katy that is not a corn plant. it is called Dracaena Frangrans. or as cornstalk dracaena or happy plant. it is tropical to Africa. it can grow to 49 ft . you can find them in Hawaii too.

That 's okay. Perma and I knows that sometimes our names get juggle up so we are both understands or you write as Jin.

jin

• jerijen
    4 years ago

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) SAID:

"Although Mrs B R Cant might not be technically a OGR (1901), she is still pretty old lol. I really love her fragrance. I think she is one of my all time favorites . . . "

BUT SHE IS AN OGR!

ARS's official definition of "Old Garden Roses" is that ANY rose OF A CLASS OF ROSES that existed prior to 1867 is considered to be an "Old Garden Rose."

SO, if I were to introduce a Tea Rose, say next month ... it would be an "Old Garden Rose." And people HAVE created modern-born "Old Roses".

At the same time, Hybrid Musks and Polyanthas (as examples) are NOT "Old Garden Roses" because they did not exist as a class prior to 1867.

Why 1867? Because that was the date of the introduction of the first Hybrid Tea Rose -- The first "Modern Rose".

katyajini thanked jerijen
    4 years ago

Jeri, you are right. i totally agree with you bec i love OGR so much that i keep googling them up . As a matter of fact, how rare do they get ? I remember Beth had collection of rare roses and i was wondering how she finds them. even. Virginia has put pictures of roses that i have never seen anyone growing. Wondering if they do exists ?

I think even the roses after 1867 or one year later as 1868 or 1869 is still old even tho they are consider not OGR like LA FRANCE . I cant say they are modern either....hahahaha.

jin

• jerijen
    4 years ago

Jin -- ARS bases a lot of their information around rose shows -- and sometimes at their shows they have a class for "Classic" Hybrid Tea Roses.

The cutoff point for THAT category is 1945, because that's the year that 'Peace' was introduced in the U.S. ... and 'Peace' changed the "tone" of Hybrid Teas. That's when the high, tight center became vital -=-= and petal substance more important.

So, before that, you surely had 'La France' and 'Lady Mary Fitzwilliam' , but you also had some wonderful things like 'Talisman' and 'President Herbert Hoover' and that whole range of Pernetiana Roses.

4 years ago

Okay, i was trying to find Queen Elizabeth rose because i have that rose growing in my backyard. it is very interesting about how many roses it took to make QE . It was very interesting like a chart above. Many, many roses but one that was interesting was a yellow rose found in Egypt. A few was unknown but a lots and lots of breeding [ Old ROSES} like the chart above. it was so complicated but very genius of Dr. Lambert.

So when i see modern roses i see a little more to that sometimes i wonder if it just me or some of you do think like i do. I really appreciate all type of roses bec of their Lineage.

i tried to look for the above rose on HMF but cant. if i ever find Queen Elizabeth chart...i will post it but i am hoping someone in my rose society has a copy of it. you will see so many old, old, old roses are put together.

jin

• jerijen
    4 years ago

If you are a subscriber to HMF, you can look up lineages.

I can tell you that some of those early Hybrid Teas are DYNAMITE roses. I particularly like 'Lady Mary Fitzwilliam' -- and that's one we've found in old cemeteries, so I know it's tough.

Of course, I have no clue how it would do in your conditions.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Jin I love your Dracaena fragrans! Some people do call them a 'Corn Plant' as a common name but its not the same as say, Corn plant that you eat lol. I love fragrant plants especially tropical ones. I have a michelia alba that is heaven on earth when it blooms. Think lemony gardenias with strong wafting fragrance!

Jeri, thank you for the clarification on Mrs B R Cant!

Lady Mary Fitzwilliam is so beautiful. I wonder if any of these Florida antique rose nurseries have it yet or if they will be getting it?

4 years ago

WOW, look at that beautiful. roses. Now, you got me checking out each rose on HMF. i pick up a lot as you recommended joining whatever rose society and I knew to join Antique. It was there i learned way more and appreciate like Modern roses bec they do talk about like Queen Elizabeth Rose which is the first Floribundas Rose [ i am pretty sure]. This year i join ARS maybe next time will be HMF.. Yes, you are right i am not a member .

i love all the roses you wrote and as usual you are killing me with their beauty. Lady M F is a stunner and looking thro all the pics. She is very beautiful . i guess i can call the nurseries and ask them since they are in FL. Thank you Jeri !!

i agree totally that early Hybrid teas are Dynamite :}

jin

• jerijen
    4 years ago

Jin -- We found 'Lady Mary Fitzwilliam' on the grave of a lady in an old, old cemetery in the Gold Rush country. She was buried next to her infant children ... And her name was MARY. You could just think of her family picking out that rose for her.

Here's Lady Mary in full bloom, in another old cemetery:

4 years ago

How did i miss your post Jasmin ? we must have cross path as i must be typing when you posted.

Rose Petals nursery is near you and the other is Angel gardens. it is sold as Whittle light Pink tea. Those blooms on the bush looks pretty big globular looking at Jeri's last pic.

jin

• jerijen
    4 years ago

Yes. "Whittle Light Pink Tea" was the first study name, but we're all sure it's Lady Mary.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH