SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seileen

Kitchen Cabinet hardware dilemma, please help!!

seileen
4 years ago

I am so lost as to what cabinet hardware color/finish to choose for my white cabinets. I had thought dark, maybe oil rubbed bronze might help warm it up, but I am afraid if it would be too much contrast. Not such a fan of nickel, but might chose that if it would blend best. I am just overwhelmed and can't seem to make a decision!

As you can see, making it all cohesive, with all the different color/finishes I have is difficult. I have to try to make it work with these turquoise countertops and reddish/brown tile floors. My appliances are all stainless.

Any tips for style of hardware too, please. I prefer something simple, but not too modern. I will be doing knobs on doors, and pulls on drawers.

Comments (84)

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good advice, Flo. You're right about embracing what I have. It's confusing to me with all my different elements. Glad you like the turquoise! Thanks for the examples, I certainly don't want things to look too busy. If I do use some clear glass knobs, like you have shown, would they go okay with my bronze/copper choices so far? How does one determine how many doors to use them on? Mix with some bronze/copper knobs, or just choose one for all the doors with knobs?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Choose one. Your chandelier looks like rubbed bronze and it pairs well with the copper tones. I wouldn’t use brushed nickel or silvers. Get several looks and see what you like most.

seileen thanked Flo Mangan
  • Related Discussions

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, thanks! I guess I'm making it too complicated! Appreciate your input.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Had another thought. Many oil rubbed bronze hardware has copper base and as the hardware is used some of the darker tone wears off to reveal the copper. This type hardware might bring both dark tones, copper undertones and be dark enough to tie your metals together. Here are a few. Wayfair has packages of 10-12 so each price is very reasonable.

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

White uppers have no handles - just for you to see - you might like that mix.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/altadena-mid-century-midcentury-kitchen-los-angeles-phvw-vp~145922582

• everdebz
    4 years ago

$2.15 and 76 good reviews and in several finishes -

Cosmas 783 Cabinet Cup Pull, Weathered Nickel · More Info

Cosmas 783 Cabinet Cup Pull, Satin Nickel · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/cosmas-783-cabinet-cup-pull-satin-nickel-prvw-vr~24136675

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, Flo, I’m leaning in that direction. Good points. One of my top choices so far, the Jeffrey Alexander Belcastel, (photo of my samples,) has those features. A dark bronze with strong copper highlights. Just not happy there isn’t a larger pull so that on my bigger drawers I could have only one pull. The Massey pull (Rejuvination) has that option, sample coming.
    Thanks so much for hanging in there with me!

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, and the Wayfair hardware sure is reasonable!

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, everdebz. Good to see options. Like the cup pulls, not sure if that would work for my space?

• beverly Tin
    4 years ago

I think Beth has a vision that shouldnt be overlooked. from a unbiased stranger I really love her suggestions. It would make the kitchen a real styled place vs upgraded just to be modern. And style that is done well for its individual space and not just done modern is timeless

seileen thanked beverly Tin
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

As to large drawers, if they are glide out drawers, you only need one pull in fact, I prefer one because you usually only have one hand available so easier to pull open with one centered pull. Check out how you work in kitchen. Just simulate holding silverware or whatever and pulling drawer open to put items in drawer. See what I mean?

• Rachel
    4 years ago

I need to comment that I love Beth H's suggestion of the patina copper. These would look perfect with your turquoise counter tops and so unique.

seileen thanked Rachel
  • seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There's a lot to think about, and different opinions! I appreciate them all. I'm not overlooking Beth's vision, I certainly am no designer. I have 22 doors that need knobs, and that's not even the pulls that I will have on the drawers, so my concern is it could end up being too busy or distracting, if I had all patina copper. I'm not sure I want to add that much more turquoise into the space. I may get some samples though. I wasn't even aiming for modern, but originally my cabinets were very dated flat dark oak, 80's style. So, I got new door and drawer fronts, and painted them, I could not afford new wood cabinets.

Now, hopefully I haven't made it too modern to go with the sort of rustic style and the rest of the house. So, I'm hearing you, Beverly Tin. And I would like it to be unique, berlinrl. I feel like I need to add warmth.

How to pull it all together so it is well designed and not overwhelming...

Sill waiting for a few more samples.

Thanks for all your input!

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes Flo, I totally see what you mean. I think one pull (if I can get the right size,) is more practical. I read some posts about that that made sense.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Idk, but have seen cups on small fronts. Can pick certain fronts for biggest bang.

Idk if this is good, workable, but have seen it behind stove and hoods....? also in neutrals.

Timeline Skinnies, Blue · More Info

seileen thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

add dimension to walls, tables or even the base of your kitchen island. Set of 6 distressed wood wall panels.

• Low VOC and easy to clean
    • Coverage area: 10.88 sq. ft.
    • Materials: Wood and water-based paint
    • Dimensions of each panel: W 47.5" x D 0.344" x H 5.5"

Timeline Skinnies, Off-White · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/timeline-skinnies-off-white-prvw-vr~106447756

seileen thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Nto insult but ! - if you want just some copper, what if you shined copper pots really well, and that display would add to hood, for that area's 'thing'.... etc....

and no you don't want 5 different looks / but planned out, kitchen might have small amount of variety, for a homey feel.

seileen thanked everdebz
  • seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pretty color, everdebz!

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Funny, everdebz, I have been talking about shinning up those copper pots! No insult. Good point. Yes, some variety sounds good.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

lol.... I can drag out copper kettle photos, and they do add to the look. Is the hood copper?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I had saved this kitchen with copper and blue walls....

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/kitchens-dining-room-phvw-vp~40746895

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, I could get a Copper kettle! The blue looks nice with it. Yes, the hood is copper, sort of aged, rustic.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

wow... did you install it? ... see about spiffing it well enough that you might see a difference. Can't wait to see... ;) :)

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haven’t installed anything, just liked your pix with blue. I know, get that Copper gleaming, somehow, it’s Old!

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Have you looked at Lee Valley? Their site doesn't seem to have much in terms of navigation tools but I scrolled a few pages randomly and spotted this Forgings knob in a finish called "rich bronze".

Also, this Stanley Home knob with an Antique copper finish is on a closeout special (with limited quantities).

Am I correct in understanding you've chosen a matte finish over a polished one? A round shape with a domey top? Not too dark with a hint of warm metal, preferably copper? If you set your budget, that will be one more filter to narrow down your options. The choice out there can be overwhelming. I fell in love with pulls that ended up costing $36 each. Went for it because hormones and decision fatigue but honestly, I could have saved us a bundle had I been more organized in my search. Yes, they're well made but would I have been as happy with a less expensive option? Of course.

How many options have you sampled in your kitchen?

seileen thanked tartanmeup
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Richelieu has a few metal knobs in a "brushed antique copper" finish in the red, rose and rust finish group. Their site allows you to filter options by shape and finish. (Top Knobs is another site that allows you to filter options.)

Traditional Brass Knob - between $5 and $10:

• jemimabean
    4 years ago

Nothing helpful to add regarding knobs (we just chose super simple glass ones from Top Knob with a few cup style pulls for big drawers...we probably should have put more work into finding antique-looking ones), but wanted to say that I absolutely love the colors in your kitchen. It’s gorgeous and looks like a lovely place to spend time.

seileen thanked jemimabean
  • seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, jemimabean, that's so nice of you! I have looked at Top Knobs too. And I too like the colors, I guess the hardest thing is that it's hard to visualize how it would look with all the knobs & pulls installed, and how the color would affect the look of it. I do love spending time in my kitchen!

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tartanmeup, those are nice, thank you. I'll take a look. It sure does help when you can filter choices, and not have to search all over pages to find other size or color of same style.

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tartanmeup, thanks for the tips. I am getting decision fatigue also. Limiting the budget is smart, but I'm waiting for the most expensive sample, which I would not have gone for, but at this point had not seen enough I like for less money. I just started looking at Lee Valley, haven't seen much in the way of regular pulls yet there. That "Forgings" knob looks interesting, and I will check the other links.

Yes, you are understanding right, you got the color in my mind just right. Yes, leaning toward matte finish, but it could have slight shine. And for knobs, round top most likely.

Have gotten about 5 or 6 samples, only to see color and feel, but not able to really put them up to check them out like paint samples on a wall.

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tartanmeup, I like the Stanley home knob, it's pretty, looks subtle copper with maybe a hint of silver, but I don't see a pull to go with it! You're right about the LV navigation.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

It might help if you print out a couple views of your kitchen and color in various approaches of knobs and pulls to test what looks best style wise. I think the oil rubbed hardware with copper highlights is your best bet. Up to you the price points. In your kitchen, I would lean to best function rather than expensive look. Too many focal points can be problematic too

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Could sticky tack help you try out the knobs? You just need to put up one or two to see the colour and effect in the space. Too many focal points can be problematic too Flo is so right. You have such beautiful colours in your kitchen; the hardware can be discreet.

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Too many focal points, that is my worry. Makes sense, Flo and tartanmeup, good point to have the hardware be discreet. Flo, I think you're right about the ORB with copper highlights, thanks for your advice. Would you consider my first photo post with this top slender pull to fit the bill for function rather than expensive? Also, it has quite a bit of copper in bright light, I'll see if I can get a better photo. Here is the original:

I'll have to try the print out, I will try with the tape again. And, this one is coming soon so I can see it in person: not really oil rubbed bronze, they call it "burnished antique." The same style in ORB looks basically black.

@Flo Mangan, what kinds of things could make too many focal points in my kitchen? Thanks for helping me understand.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Areas for details: the tall unit has no turquoise counter - it might be ok to treat that as a smidgeon separate, and place the turquoise ones there.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I don't believe my questions are overdoing it - so, on the other hand about the tall unit: above it will you likely have baskets? dark door and chandelier?

Then that might be nice to have warm metal there.

Have subtle copper/turq. where the counters are.....

seileen thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Turquoise is pretty - experiment with altering backs of shelves with same type color [as counter]. Photoshop, or use any remnant fabric or paper....

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Focal area is center with permanent hood / counter, and doll that up first. You could go further and add tough-material shelving for pots. More old style of good kind in the whole area.... btw, I love your door!

Industrial Kitchen Shelf, Weathered Grey Nickel · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/industrial-kitchen-shelf-weathered-grey-nickel-prvw-vr~110234983

seileen thanked everdebz
  • seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not a lot of dark nearby, just door and trim around windows, which I don't know if I should paint, since trim around garden window is white.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Also in soft white, I found a look for backs [could be washed with white to look softer] -- good reviews / panels add dimension, lightweight and easy-to-install. Set of 6 Low VOC, covering 10.88 sq. ft. Wood and water-based paint. Dimensions of each panel: W 47.5" x D 0.344" x H 5.5

Timeline Skinnies, Blue · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/timeline-skinnies-blue-prvw-vr~106447753

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Obviously all my posts are for brainstorming another detail than hardware.

Backs could also be prettied up with floral wallpaper, etc... if that's needed esp. dining area.

seileen thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

One more, gotta let this be awhile - ideas ran out! hope ok to post much. Copper and lots more styles.

https://www.houzz.com/products/18x24-fasade-quilted-backsplash-panel-bermuda-bronze-prvw-vr~43190638

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's good to hear all the brainstorming! The only thing that we are adding/changing now is the hardware, but I'm definitely open to ideas adding to improvement of the room. Rugs, windows, etc. and I like your old/old world style points. I understand that the hood/counter area is the focal point. I guess my confusion is if adding darker hardware becomes a focal point, and stands out too much, even if it is complimentary.

Glad you like the door!

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, and also will be adding molding and hid hinges on big pantry, not really in photo.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Seileen. Your tuquoise tile is main eyecatcher in your kitchen. Next is your range hood. That hood appears out of code to my eye. It is too low over burners. Typical is 30-36 from top of burners to bottom if hood. I am short but I think even I would hit my head on it. It is really big. So that is second big focal point. Third is your shelves and styling of items on the shelves. I do like the first knob and slim pull on your doors and drawers. Those are like jewelry in your colorful outfit. It is very pretty but a few tweaks will make it really amazing.

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo, thank you! It's starting to be more clear. Yes, more tweaks to go. It's good to get this info and advice from a pro! Thank you.

Oh, and funny you pointed out the hood, I was wondering when someone would notice that. No not to code, it's pretty low. Hopefully one day we can get that fixed.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Ouch, I have hit my head... ;)

... I'd like to see more turquoise though in more than knobs.... no?

• seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s a bit awkward (hood,) but has never been a big problem. Not sure about more turquoise, still thinking :)

• everdebz
    4 years ago

What style turquoise or copper, etc.... knobs or handles are you most considering?

seileen thanked everdebz
  • seileen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Most likely one of the one of the copper I posted above, simple designs, but still waiting for my last samples in the mail. Nothing like dragging it out longer! :)