SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

pocket doors to office: why so many pics show all glass doors?

girl_wonder
4 years ago

I'm considering having my home office installed with a pair of 3' pocket doors (a 6' opening). When I've been googling for inspo ideas, I've been surprised that so many of the examples show doors that are all glass. Seems like the point of the doors is to close them to get some privacy, right???? Am I missing something?

I have a 1940 bungalow. My thought was to get a pair of 3 panel doors (2 vertical panels; one top horizontal panel made of glass). When the house is quiet I can work w/ the doors open. When there are guests/etc, I'd close the doors and get some privacy from the wooden panels. Also, if the house is packed with overnight house guests (a rare occurrence) we may throw down a air mattress in here. In this scenario, again, it seems better if the doors are not all glass.

Here is one of the rare photos that's similar to what I imagined.

Traditional Living Room · More Info

FWIW, in terms of light, there's a window on the wall opposite the door, 6' x 44". (but my neighbor's 2 story house is close to the fence and blocks some light). We're also adding a skylight. So it seems like the panel on top would offer some light when the doors are closed. Thoughts?

I've considered having the top panel be decorative art glass. Does anyone have any suggestions for companies that make those? I think Simpson has some options. I have two friends who make stained glass (and have given me stained glass gifts in the past) so another option is to buy the door with clear glass and commission them to make something custom. (this is the idea I prefer).

Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)