Republican anger grows as Trump disavows Kurds by saying they didn't h

bleusblue2

EXCERPT:

"President Trump and President Erdogan have reached an understanding over precisely what this operation is," Gulnur Aybet said from Ankara on Wednesday. "He knows what the scope of this operation is."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/09/politics/turkey-syria-us-anger-ramifications/index.html

Republican anger grows as Trump disavows Kurds by saying they didn't help during WWII

Washington (CNN)Republicans savaged President Donald Trump Wednesday for allowing Turkey to attack US allies in Syria as the President offered varying reasons for giving Turkey the green light, including the fact that Kurds did not fight alongside the US in World War II.

Turkey launched its military operation to flush Kurds allied with the US out of northeastern Syria sparking outrage in Congress, creating rare bipartisan unity about the risks to the Kurds, US national security interests, regional stability and the fight against ISIS.

Trump apparently gave Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan the go-ahead on Sunday to proceed with his long-planned move against Kurdish fighters who make up part of the Syrian Defense Forces and who lost 11,000 men fighting with the US against ISIS.

Turkey begins military offensive in Syria, days after Trump announced pullback of US troops

As Turkish planes pounded Kurdish positions from the air and with artillery, CNN reporters on the ground in Syria reported smoke billowing from several large explosions as desperate civilians -- women, children and men -- fled the area on foot, some pushing others in wheelchairs, many crammed into the back of pickup trucks.

With humanitarian groups reporting the bombardment could displace as many as 300,000 people, Erdogan's top adviser told CNN's Christiane Amanpour that Trump knew in advance about the scope of the Turkish attack.

"President Trump and President Erdogan have reached an understanding over precisely what this operation is," Gulnur Aybet said from Ankara on Wednesday. "He knows what the scope of this operation is."

(to continue see link above)

SaveComment50Like1
Comments (50)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bleusblue2

ANOTHER EXCERPT:

"Trump downplayed the alliance with the Kurds, 11,000 of whom died fighting to help the US mission against ISIS. "They didn't help us in the second World War, they didn't help us with Normandy for example," Trump said. "They're there to help us with their land, and that's a different thing." Normandy is an area of France, not the US.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

I just read this. What is this man thinking (or not thinking)?

Trump has blood on his hands and no fancy dancing is going to change that.

11 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Who told him this weird factoid? Why on earth would we be looking to the Kurds in WWll? This is so strange that I am completely at sea and that makes me seasick.

10 Likes Save    
margaux

Impeach the SOB. Grow a pair, Senate GOP!

Heard something on the news last night that the Kurds are being driven out so the land can be given to other displaced Muslims.

12 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

"Trump downplayed the alliance with the Kurds, 11,000 of whom died fighting to help the US mission against ISIS. "They didn't help us in the second World War, they didn't help us with Normandy for example," Trump said. "They're there to help us with their land, and that's a different thing." Normandy is an area of France, not the US.

~~~~

I am so tired of calling him an idiot, calling him names. What good does it do. He should change his name to "idiot"; it suits him.

Look at this -- "They're there to help us with their land..." What the jerk means is -- the Kurds have a horse in this race too. There is something in it for them too. Well, why would any country join an alliance if it didn't help them also? He thinks that because THEY get something out of fighting this war we can take them or leave them. The US will be standing alone very soon. And on top of that he gloats that all these newly created refugees escaping war will be headed for Europe. Whoopee. Not his problem.

Watch the videos of the women holding children on smokey bombed streets, a few bags packed and nowhere safe to go. Who can bear this? He doesn't care -- safe in his golden lair.

7 Likes Save    
cattyles

Something has to change so that one ignorant man can never again do something like this disgusting, sadistic act while representing the US. I have a knot in the pit of my stomach. He makes me sick. This was done as sick revenge for what is finally happening to him. Too late for the Kurds, though.

There is a psychopath in the White House doing the bidding of our enemies and doing whatever he can against Americans and our allies. How can no one stop him? We know he’s sick and harmful. To hell with impeachment. The people around him that could invoke the 25th and don’t are guilty of dereliction of duty.

18 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

Guess everyone heard what he said about ISIS escaping. Casually says, "Well, they'll just go to Europe. That's where they want to be." It's revenge against Europe for some perceived slight in his sick, cruel, empty head.

11 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I've been saying at each outrageous thing he says and does "Well it can't get much worse", "Just another diversion for us to look in another direction". But it just keeps getting worse. I'm afraid to even think what's next.

So Republicans, are there yet?

(Notice I didn't say Trump supporters)

25th amendment.

8 Likes Save    
cattyles

They (our European allies) dare to criticize him so he smirks when he says they’ll go back to Europe.

2 Likes Save    
Bunny

Impeach the mf.

11 Likes Save    
leona_2008

The people who could stop him and won't have blood on their hands too.

6 Likes Save    
maifleur01

I wondered when he will disavow his actions in this and ask Russia to help rescue the Kurds. With his little land statement to me it appears that the land the Kurds are on is up for grabs. The question that I have who is supposed to grab it. Turkey does not have the army big enough to withstand Russia. I am so deeply ashamed of this country for allowing this to happen and Congress is doing nothing.

7 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

He won't disavow. He will blame it on Hillary, Obama, Biden, Santa Claus.

7 Likes Save    
bob_cville

Some of the Republicans are so angry and outraged they are considering writing a strongly worded email and sending it directly to the drafts folder.

15 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

There is so much wrong with that meme that I hardly know where to begin.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's straight from a russian troll farm.

If this is what the trumplicans believe then they've had a complete break with reality.

14 Likes Save    
Janie

It appears that the right wing HT forum members are the only republican defending Trump these days. The “White House” conveniently didn’t have anyone available for he Sunday news discussions this weekend.

And republicans in Congress are actually joining with the Democrats to denounce Trump’s decision.

Carry on. Trump is depending on you to excuse the Kurdish genocide.

After all, they didn’t offer us any help on D Day.

6 Likes Save    
Delilah66

trump resents that the Kurds didn’t help “us” during WW2? Well, I resent that he faked his way out of Vietnam which was his only way of ensuring he would not be captured like his “not a hero” POW/Senator John McCain. Likely that he would have been killed or captured while shooting off his mouth. Jane Fonda was vilified for her action in re: Vietnam. trump’s was no better.

Is anyone interested in what Kurds were doing during WW2?

“Several large scale Kurdish revolts in 1925, 1930 and 1938 were suppressed by the Turkish government and more than one million Kurds were forcibly relocated between 1925 and 1938. The use of Kurdish language, dress, folklore, and names were banned and the Kurdish-inhabited areas remained under martial law until 1946.”

trump has not ended any war, but has successfully started many.

ETA link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds

9 Likes Save    
lurker111

This is nothing to get upset about. The Kurds are terrorists and we arm
them. Our relationship with them has always been considered a
"necessary coalition". They are not our friends.

Save    
Kathy

ISIS will be happy to be free. Trump doesn’t care because he says they will go to Europe.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Not that I agree with your statement, lurker, but regardless, do you not think that letting turkey destroy the people who are holding ISIS prisoners and who stopped the establishment of their caliphate is a bad idea? You remember ISIS, don't you? The terrorist organization that trumplicans claim obama and hillary created?

And for what purpose? The kurds have cost us very little and have done so much. So what does the US have to gain by abandoning them? We know what trumputin has to gain, but how is this in the US interest at all??

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

Annie, those memes are Russian propaganda.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm sure, Kathy...they are even busier now than in 2016, and they're better at it.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

I saw the Kurds with USA weapons preparing to fight the Turks who are using USA weapons. How does that make you feel?

Save    
dandyfopp

Ten thousand newly freed Isis fighters heading to Europe?

I am sure they will avoid all the American bases.

Allies of The United States are the enemies of Donnies allies.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1182025864684417024

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Oh no! Trump said they will go back to where they came from. :)

Save    
Kathy

Annie, maybe not so much better but they have so many algorithms of the gullible. I’m surprised HT allows the propaganda with the viruses and possible ransomware in them.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

lol

Save    
jama7(6)

Lurker...You know? I'm offended, in fact I'm sure MOST of us are offended and sickened by your seeing humor in thousands of people, including innocent women and children being killed. This post will probably be "poofed" but I needed to get it out.

13 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

It's hard to watch how easily trump can make his supporters lose their minds. sad

4 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

Lurker...And MY post was directed at this and your general LOLing through much of these discussions. What do you think is going to happen when ISIS fighters return to Europe?? And do you think they will not go after us???

lurker111

Oh no! Trump said they will go back to where they came from. :)

1 Like Save    
lurker111

At least they have one to lose. :)

Remorse...naa. :)

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

time to set the <ignore> function

6 Likes Save    
foodonastump

You know who did fight the Nazis in WWII?

Save    
jama7(6)

Annie Deighnaugh

time to set the <ignore> function.

WAY past time. It's something else.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

From one of the other threads:

Many of the ISIS prisoners will be free in the coming days and weeks.

Thanks, Trump!

Save    
lurker111

It's better to learn than to ignore, but it's your choice. :)

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Don't forget the infamous Saudi Prince and Putin handshake at G-20 economic summit with Trump in background. It's like they were celebrating their handling of Trump and playing him for the fool he is. They have manipulated Trump to do their bidding, see how easy it is, I told you so.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/11/30/watch-putin-and-mohammed-bin-salmans-exuberant-handshake-at-g-20.html

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Not much more can be said than has been said but Trump is even more stupid than I thought. I know he is used to using his shiny object strategy to divert from bad situations he finds himself in, like impeachment, however this diversion is going to cost him politically. Just when he needs allies most he is taking actions which force them to speak against him.

A new FOX news poll shows a majority now favour impeachment AND removal with a uptick in all three political groups and Matt Drudge has soured on him. This move isn't going to help turn that tide,

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

It's like they were celebrating their handling of Trump and playing him for the fool he is

Strange imagination.

Save    
margaux

GOP, just impeach him/25th Amendment him and save yourselves for 2020 with a new candidate. Stop fearing that small minority of the voters who are clinging to him along with their guns and religion.

6 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

The GOP congress is beyond stupid. I mean if they break with Trump and nominate someone else how does this sink them with the Trumpers? Who else are they going to vote for ...a dem? They'd never sit home, they always vote R.

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

That meme is silly, thinking a war is unjust is very different from supporting the action of feeding your alias to the dogs once you have decided to engage in that war.

2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

I had never seen that handshake video and I am close to being shocked. I wasn't going to look at it, thought it would just show a perception of friendship. What in the world?

Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

I for one have never forgiven the Kurds for not getting involved in the war of 1812.

I think their assistance could have really turned the tide and avoided ending in a draw.

Maybe MN would be part of Canada right now and my mom wouldn’t be facing the loss of her house to pay for medical bills.

/sarcasm throughout because sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying

6 Likes Save    
cattyles

Bleusblue2, isn’t that disgusting? Two sadistic dictators yucking it up because they have the US under their thumb without a fight. Isn’t it hilarious how easy it was?

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Those Kurds have been (and still are) credited with protecting the religious minorities in the region - many of whom are Christian.

4 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

You know who has never fought in any war? President Bone Spurs

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Donnie would rather start a war.

2 Likes Save    
HU9999

GOP, just impeach him/25th Amendment him and save yourselves for 2020 with a new candidate. Stop fearing that small minority of the voters who are clinging to him along with their guns and religion.

I agree. If they actually did this now, and picked a well known and rational person (Romney?) to run, they could save themselves and their party.

I really don't know what they're waiting for? Are they talking behind closed doors? Maybe they are watching the polls.

4 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> time to set the <ignore> function

If you use AdBlock Plus, I can give you the magical incantation.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Handle a Grievance With a Neighbor and an HOA
A condo resident complains about noise from a toddler out with her mom on a 7 a.m. dog walk. Does the mother have any recourse?
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Deal With Noisy Neighbors
Before you fly off the handle, stop and think about the situation, and follow these steps to live in harmony
Full Story