A different suplement question- calcium

frogged

Hello, I thought I should start a separate thread. Greywings123 mentioned a calcium supplement. My personal experience has been the opposite of disaster pants when I have tried calcium, two different types with vit D and then tried coconut water, mixed with milk which is supposed to be a good source. Iam hesitate to try again but... I believe family history and such I should be. Anyone else have this issue what worked for you. -

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

No issue but my doctor did warn me about taking too many of the chewable tablets like Tums. Now there is a warning on the packages not to exceed a certain number. 15 on the brand I currently use.

Better to eat a diet that has good sources of calcium before supplements. Add them only after having blood and DEXA tests ran to see if you are low. Too many people take things that are "healthy" only to find that either they did not need them or what they were taking counteracted other things that they needed.

1 Like Save     Thanked by frogged
Chi

I get kidney stones with calcium supplements. It took me 10 painful years to figure that out!

Save     Thanked by frogged
morz8

The tech who did the Dexa scans where I go and my endo used to say Viactiv chews. Then, study came out that suggested large amounts of calcium all at once may not be good for hearts and with my family history I took notice. I do lots of dairy, DH and I both are milk drinkers like little kids 0) as well as cheese regularly, yogurt.

My sister takes a citracal product that is slow release/time release at her doctors advice. I thought I'd ask at my next annual endocrinology appointment about that...

sheilajoyce_gw

I take a calcium with magnesium tablet. I think the magnesium is supposed to help avoid constipation.

joyfulguy

Following a series of radiation for prostate cancer a few years ago, my doctor put me on vitamin D-3 and calcium, and later on iron. I've been thinking that I should have a talk with my pharmacist, as I've been taking 10 pills a day of 6 kinds, two of them prescriptions, a diuretic and blood thinner.

A few days ago I was prescribed an antibiotic to go for a week, and want to discuss it with the pharmacist as to possible complications related to the other pills, plus what kind of time separation should I follow, with food or empty stomach, the iron needs to be with orange juice, etc.

ole joyfuelled ... who's not sure he gets much "fuelling" from the pills

watchmelol

I don't take supplements. What I do is eat a varied diet. I get my Vitamin D from the sun. I haven't drunk milk since around the age of 3. My dairy comes from cheese and ice cream. LOL Bones are strong and healthy and I am nearing 69. I am sure genetics plays a role but so does eating like a real person, not embracing fad diets and moving. I don't go to the gym. I use my body in play and work. I am overweight but fit.

I know it's no joking matter to people who have fragile bones etc. but when health professionals ask the common question of us elderly "any recent falls?" I tell them not recently since my riding skills are improving and I am sticking better to the saddle these days. ;-)

1 Like Save    
cynic

I've been taking a calcium supplement for years but I avoid the ones with vitamin D in it also. Too much vitamin D is not good for you and with my diet and the multivitamin supplement, I get plenty of vitamin D.

Save    
Annegriet

You need plenty of Vitamin K especially K2 to make calcium effective. They sell these supplements at Whole Foods. In general, I think it is best to get vitamins and minerals from food though. A nutritionist can help you make a plan. Also weight bearing exercise is important for bones.

Save    
Raye Smith

I get my Vitamin D the natural way, working in the yard. And yes, one of the most important things we can do as we age is to continue to do weight bearing exercises. It greatly reduces the likelihood of ending up weak and frail, unable to keep your balance.

Save    
lindaohnowga

After having kidney stones in both kidneys and surgeries to remove them, the urologist told me the only calcium to take is calcium CITRATE as it doesn't bind to form stones.

Save    
chloebud

^I've heard the same thing regarding Calcium Citrate. I've been taking Citracal (with D) for years. The opinions/advice are all over the place. Do this...don't do that...it gets confusing.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Floors 6 Questions to Answer Before You Install Tile Flooring
Considering these things before tackling your floors can get you a better result
Full Story
Bathroom Workbook Bathroom Remodel Insight: A Houzz Survey Reveals Homeowners’ Plans
Tub or shower? What finish for your fixtures? Find out what bathroom features are popular — and the differences by age group
Full Story
The Art of Architecture Design Workshop: Is It Time to Let Basements Become Extinct?
Costly and often unnecessary, basements may become obsolete — if they aren’t already. Here are responses to every reason to keep them around
Full Story
Old-style customer service is our top priority. We’ve been in business since 1994 – over 2 decades serving... Read More