DOJ/FBI gun death statistics for 2018 are in

tapla(Mid-MI z-5b-6a)

and they show there were 5.1X as many deaths at the hands of those wielding knives than rifles of all types.

DOJ Table 20

1,515 deaths attributable to knives and sharp objects vs 297 by rifles of all types.

Al

SaveComment14Like1
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carro

Well that's not going to push an anti-gun agenda.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tapla
Chi

How many total guns vs. knives?

Save    
catkinZ8a

Good to see you Al. :~)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by tapla
patriciae_gw(07)

Where?

Save    
An (PNW 6b)

?

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Rifles? Really?

Save    
blfenton

Rifles? Seriously? Now how about adding up murders from total firearms instead of your cherry-picked rifles number.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Interesting that the report shows murders not deaths but the poster already knew that. While it does matter how many were murdered the number that were shot in 2018 was much higher. The story linked below is only until October 27, 2018. Some how I think there were more people shot during the rest of the year.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/there-have-been-47220-gun-incidents-in-the-us-in-2018-and-here-they-all-are-on-one-map-2018-10-27

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Wow, District of Columbia had 151 murders, 120 by handguns. Such a tiny area must have the highest crime rate per square mile. That's right out the front door of the White House. Maybe they should regulate all guns, not just high powered high capacity guns.

2 Likes Save    
Save    
JodiK

Homicides and even accidental deaths comes in all forms... from pushes down flights of stairs, to poisoning, to blunt force trauma, strangulation, stabbings, suicides, auto accidents, shootings... and the list goes on.

~~~

I don't know where some people reside, where they think there are no laws or regulations regarding firearms... but where I reside, every firearm purchased must be registered, especially handguns and hunting rifles.

If I purchase a handgun today, there's a waiting period before I can pick up my purchase. And in order to make that purchase, I must show a valid FOID card. There will be a background check done. I must show the same form of ID to purchase ammunition for my firearm. And there are even laws dictating how I must package that firearm and separate it from the ammunition to travel with it, from the store where it was bought, just to my place of residence... and those laws apply every time I take my firearms anywhere via vehicle transport.

There are laws galore surrounding firearms, and plenty of police that enforce those laws. The unfortunate part is... it's not the responsible firearm owners that are the cause of all this media hype that has so many people in a tizzy. It's those who illegally obtain and use firearms... or those who get their hands on firearms because there is no responsible action taken to keep them in a safe place where they won't be misused... or because of the few loopholes that still exist from state to state, making it too easy for those with ill intent to obtain the weapons of their choice.

We can't keep throwing millions of responsible, safety conscious firearm owners under the bus just because some people misuse them, some people don't like firearms, or don't know the first thing about them. And as far as I can tell, those same persons who rail endlessly against guns still haven't bothered to educate themselves regarding the differences, the uses, the laws from state to state, or even the numbers - the actual statistics of law abiding firearm owners versus those who have zero respect for life, or not enough knowledge to properly operate the firearms they've gained access to.

What some people can do is write to their representatives and request that they consider enacting tougher legislation where firearm laws are too lax.

We should also be asking WHY certain members of our youth feels compelled to bring firearms to school with the intent of harming their fellow students. WHY? Perhaps if we knew why, and we knew what signs to look for, this wouldn't be happening on the scale it is.

Save    
De Villa

Al,

What is your motive for this post? Why are you not talking about handguns and only talking about rifles?

Also, the data within is inaccurate. A simple google search could prove this - - start with Illinois, I live in Chicago and didn't even need to fact-check (though I did) to know the numbers attached to your post were substantially lower than the actual.

How about Alabama? ...where is Florida?

How about gun-related injury? Suicide?

This is misleading and as someone who has read your in-depth plant discussions, which are typically very physics-based and factual, I know that you are not a dull-witted person. So, what are your intentions here?

I typically would not even respond to something like this but because your name was attached- - I had to.

Source: Gun Violence in America

2 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

Wait a minute - I just ran the numbers:

10,265 by firearms

1,515 by knives or cutting instruments.

Save    
PRO
tapla(Mid-MI z-5b-6a)

The numbers/image provided are unaltered statistics for 2018, taken directly from the FBI/DOJ. I can't personally vouch for their accuracy, and I didn't cherry pick the numbers. People will accept them as fact, think these organizations (FBI/DOJ) are misinformed, or have colluded to misinform us. Any mistakes/inaccuracies would be attributable to the organizations, but it's doubtful the omission is going to change the fact there are more than 5X as many people killed with sharp objects than rifles collectively.

Why are you not talking about handguns and only talking about rifles? The question is, why are you (used collectively) so focused on rifles and specifically the AR platform? My point is, anti-2A advocates simultaneously explode in reflexive emotional uproar every time a modern sporting rifle is used to take a life or multiple lives; this, without considering how few people are actually killed by rifles of all types when compared to handguns. Why is that? Politics.

How about gun-related injury? Suicide? First, suicide by gun is no more gun-related than it is drug-related (intentional overdose), rope-related (as in hanging), or bridge-related (as in jumping off). No one laments how many lives could be saved if it wasn't for availability of drugs ropes and bridges, so to use that argument against guns is specious. Suicide is a mental health issue.

I'm not sure if you speak to intentional gun-related injury, accidental injury, or both. In either/both cases, the gun is not an animated participant. It's an object with no will of it's own, and can be used responsibly or irresponsibly. If I am evil or irresponsible to the degree I injure an innocent by way of intent, or unintentionally by way of an unintended discharge, the court will surely be wise enough to recognize that I am responsible for my actions, not the gun. Many are perfectly willing to put the gun on trial, at least in the arena of public opinion, but that is illogical in the extreme.

Our society values its freedoms to the degree we are willing to accept a significant number of deaths for the sake of fun or convenience. No one disagrees that hang-gliding, parachuting, base jumping, rock/mountain climbing, auto/motorcycle racing, ..... are very dangerous and lives would be saved if these activities were forbidden. America's favorite pastime, baseball, requires the use of a bludgeon, which might even be responsible for more deaths annually than rifles of all stripes. Alcohol is involved in slightly less than half of traffic fatalities, so campaigning for prohibition would save more people than banning guns ever could. Who will pick up that banner? We know that lowering the speed limit to 5 miles per hour would virtually eliminate all traffic deaths, yet we've nearly unanimously decided it's an appropriate trade to sacrifice thousands yearly on the altars of convenience and the dollar (productivity) with speed limits we know will increase the number of deaths. The list of potential dangers we could eliminate to save lives is endless, yet we never give it a thought.

Now, use whatever number you like for the number of times a gun is used in defense of self each year. Most estimates are between 100,000 and 3,100,000. A 1995 survey published by the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology reported between 2.1 and 2.5 million defensive gun uses every year. That's a lot of lives, injuries, and property saved. Looking only at the lives taken by guns is akin to focusing on how many planes crash each year. If that was the only input weighed, the inevitable conclusion would be commercial air travel should be banned.

More significantly, we know what momentous failures Prohibition, the War on Drugs, banning prostitution, ..... were. These "bans" served only as proof that illegal isn’t synonymous with unavailable. By definition, lawbreakers break the law; so it is completely unreasonable to think that banning guns would do anything other than serve to create an army of well-armed law breakers free to ply their dark trade w/o fear of resistance. What then do you think the number of gun deaths per year will climb to?

Gun owners will never be convinced the left is sincere in the wish to resolve the issue of gun deaths until they can agree the focus should be on criminals and those afflicted with mental health issues, not on the many millions (and counting) of law abiding gun owners unwilling to account for the misdeeds of others.

Al

Save