CNN:Obama's DNI Clapper Admits Obama Told Him To Spy On Trump Campaign

catkinZ8a

Did James Clapper Just Admit President Obama Directed Him to Go After the Trump Campaign?

Katie Pavlich

Posted: Oct 08, 2019 1:30 PM

As U.S. Attorney John Durham continues his criminal investigation into the origins of the government's targeting of the 2016 Trump campaign, former Obama administration intelligence officials are denying any wrong doing and justifying their actions.

Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper is arguing he was concerned about the Russians interfering in the election, which is why his agency gathered "information." During a recent interview with CNN, Clapper admitted he was simply following orders from the "commander-in-chief," who had ordered intelligence agencies to do so.

"I don't know. I don’t think there was any wrongdoing," Clapper said. "My main concern was with the Russians and the threat posed by the Russians to our very political fabric and ugh, the message I'm getting from all of this is apparently what we were supposed to have done was to ignore the Russian interference, ignore the Russian meddling and the threat that it poses to us and oh by the way, blown off what the then commander-in-chief, President Obama, told us to do, which was to assemble all of the reporting we could." "What Obama told us to do...." pic.twitter.com/KEKHTx40j3
— Rep. Steven Smith ???? (@RepStevenSmith) October 8, 2019

This is quite a telling statement about President Obama's involvement in the surveillance of a political opponent, Donald Trump, who vowed to reverse his legacy if elected. There's also a pattern.

Officials at the Defense Department were also preserving information and accusing Trump campaign officials of "dealing with Russians," before President Trump was officially sworn into office.

Former CIA Director John Brennan, who pushed lies about Russia collusion for years, isn't a fan of Durham's investigation. "I'm supposedly going to be interviewed by Mr. Durham as part of this non-investigation... I don't understand the predication of this worldwide effort to try to uncover dirt... that would discredit that investigation in 2016" - @JohnBrennan w/ @NicolleDWallace pic.twitter.com/FqDbIW9P41
— Deadline White House (@DeadlineWH) October 2, 2019

Meanwhile Obama, who has along history of using the government to target political enemies, denies ever ordering the surveillance of any U.S. citizen.

"I don't know. I don’t think there was any wrongdoing," Clapper said. "My main concern was with the Russians and the threat posed by the Russians to our very political fabric and ugh, the message I'm getting from all of this is apparently what we were supposed to have done was to ignore the Russian interference, ignore the Russian meddling and the threat that it poses to us and oh by the way, blown off what the then commander-in-chief, President Obama, told us to do, which was to assemble all of the reporting we could."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/10/08/oh-my-did-james-clapper-just-admit-that-president-obama-directed-him-to-go-after-the-trump-campaign-n2554364

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Heck, he didn't just "admit it", he used Obama's order to do so as the reason that he did the spying: "Obama told me to do it!" He volunteered the information. Sort of like: "He made me do it."

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

What he admitted is they were to follow Russia and where that leads. That means if Trump implicates himself or his campaign implicates themselves, they were warned. They knew the rules, they were warned by Obama. If they were involved they have no one but themselves to blame for not reporting the contacts.

7 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

LOL

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Absolutely Kathy...it wasn't their fault trump&co had so many contacts with the russians.

But trump is always shooting messengers rather than accepting responsibility for his illegal actions.

Was it Trevor Noah who likened it to being asked by a cop if you shot john, and instead of innocently saying, "No I didn't", trump instead responds, "Wait. Who told you that!"

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The Senate report noted that agents of the Russian Internet Research Agency (IRA) “sought to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential election by harming Hillary Clinton's chances of success and supporting Donald Trump at the direction of the Kremlin."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/464865-senate-intel-report-finds-kremlin-directed-russian-social-media-meddling-in

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Russian trolls tried to stoke racial divisions with the NFL kneeling debate and Colin Kaepernick well after 2016, Senate report says

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-trolls-used-colin-kaepernick-nfl-kneeling-debate-divide-2019-10

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

What other divisions are being worsened by all this deliberate misinformation? I bet Houzz isn’t even aware of how it makes them look that they are so useful to propagandists.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Catkin———you need to reread your own OP. According to the article, Clapper did not say Obama told him to spy on Trump. He was instructed to gather info on Russian interference in the election. And of course RW biased townhall.com is going to twist it to play to their audience and you fell for it hook line and sinker. But meme on.

4 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

And I would like to repeat Joanie's statement:

"According to the article, Clapper did not say Obama told him to spy on Trump. He was instructed to gather info on Russian interference in the election. "

Kate

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

You should read your sources more carefully, catkin. I’m sure you don’t want to mislead forum members.

Had trump and everyone around him not been consorting with Russia he would not have been caught up in the investigation.

Oops, there’s another one of those fallacies; Obama actually was doing stuff about the Russians meddling in our election wasn’t he?

Good thread.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

They keep saying this happened on a Obama’s watch and why didn’t Obama do something about the Russians, then they say Obama spied on Trump. Which is it? Trump was conspiring and colluding with Russians so he got what he was warned.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Democrat political cannibalism--we love it!

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"Senate Intel's newest Russia report undermines pro-Trump conspiracy theories"

The Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday unveiled a sweeping new bipartisan report detailing Russian efforts to boost Donald Trump's White House bid on social media during the 2016 U.S. elections, dealing an indirect blow to a push by the president and his allies to shift focus toward claims of anti-Trump meddling by Ukraine.

Save    
Delilah66

“We shouldn't even give this source the time of day!

Kate”

Not only that source, but the poster’s presentation...as if everything posted came in order from the single link. That OP is a confusion of catastrophes that is representative of confused minds. Can’t separate wheat from chaff? Throw it all out there and hope something’s halfway right. Nope. Works about as well as a 2-wheeled tricycle.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

“Democrat political cannibalism.”

Yep, causing pubs to gnaw their grabby paws down to nubs one digit at a time.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

This isn't working either.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Yes, this creepy weird guy rubbing his grubby mitts together in I want to dlink your blooood sort of way

Save    
cattyles

Barr’s going down, too.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I would wonder why people would even think that any Presidential election did not have various intelligence and law enforcement agencies looking at them. Simply boggles my mind at the lack of understanding on how most elections are being reviewed by those agencies before, during, and after the elections. It also boggles my mind that some accept that election interference by any foreign group is acceptable beyond donations.

Save    
maifleur01

I think the FISA report will probably be bigger than the half inch that most current phonebooks are.

Save    
Kathy

Trump is guilty and so is his campaign. Talk about the deep state. They are the deep state. They will not win. Trump will take the whole party with him. He already is targeting Pence.

1 Like Save