Kurds in imminent peril, despite their appeal to White House

petalique

(I’m having trouble posting this. See twitter account, David Ignatius.)

https://twitter.com/IgnatiusPost

SaveComment35Like
Comments (35)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rina

God help the Kurds and anyone else who stands in the way of the invasions.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
petalique

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49978567

(For discussion purposes, fair use.) BBC 10-9-19

(Video)

Turkey has boosted its forces on the Syrian border ahead of a long-threatened incursion that could target Kurdish-led forces allied to the US.

Troops would cross into Syria "shortly", a presidential aide said.

Turkey wants to create a "safe zone" cleared of a Kurdish militia that will also house some of Turkey's 3.6 million Syrian refugees.

Donald Trump has withdrawn US troops in the area in a controversial decision widely condemned at home and abroad.

He again defended his move on Tuesday, saying the Kurds had not been abandoned, calling them "special".

The Kurds were key US allies in defeating the jihadist group Islamic State (IS) in Syria.

But Turkey regards the Kurdish militia that dominates the US-allied Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) as a terrorist group. The US pullout was seen as paving the way for an offensive.

What is happening at the border?

Convoys of trucks with armoured personnel carriers and tanks were seen heading to the Turkish border town of Akcakale on Tuesday night. Images of buses carrying personnel were shown by state news agency Anadolu.

Turkey is planning to create a 32km (20-mile) deep "safe zone" running for 480km (300 miles) along the Syrian side of the border

Fahrettin Altun, the Turkish president's director of communications, said Turkish forces would cross the border shortly to "neutralise a long-standing threat against Turkish citizens".

He said Kurdish militia fighters could either "defect or we will have [to] stop them from disrupting our counter-IS efforts".

Initial indications suggest a limited incursion by Turkey along a 100km stretch of the border between the towns of Tal Abyad and Ras al-Ain.

It is a sparsely populated, mostly Arab, area and it is unclear what conflict with Kurdish forces would take place.

US troops have already withdrawn from four border positions there, but they have not withdrawn from positions further east and west.

What has Donald Trump said?

He said his pullout - described as a "stab in the back" by the SDF - affected "only 50 soldiers" of some 1,000 US troops in the country.

In a series of tweets, Mr Trump also praised Turkey as a trade partner and Nato ally, hours after saying he would "destroy and obliterate" its economy if the country went "off limits" in its incursion. ...

continued at link:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49978567

Save    
petalique

Reports have stated that Trump unilaterally made the decision to remove US troops from the area after a phone conversation with Turkish President Erdogan. US troops on the ground in the area had been the only thing preventing the Turks from moving in to confront our Kurdish allies.

Despicable! Donald Trump is a danger to our country and allies. He repeatedly undermines US policy and security.

4 Likes Save    
chase_gw

What a terrible thing to do to your allies. ISIS must be thrilled ......the Generals must be ill at the thought of such a betrayal. Wonder what Trump got from Erdogan , Bet the transcript of that call is deep sixed.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
lurker111

I've always seen the kurds as terrorists.

Save     Thanked by petalique
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

I strenuously object to withdrawing our troops and leaving the Kurds to flap in the breeze.

Look, I get that the President believes that the U.S. shouldn't do all of the heavy lifting, and that other countries who claim to be concerned should shoulder more of the burden, but this is the wrong way to go about it.

Unless there is some sort of gambit going on here, which is difficult to excavate from the situation, it is utterly the wrong thing to do.

1 Like Save     Thanked by petalique
lurker111

CIA funded terrorists. I've been against it from the beginning. Thanks Trump.

Save    
Cookie8

lurker111, not the kurds specifically but the YPG. I am still a little confused on how this is the utmost threat when PKK is active in Turkey. Yes, the groups are affiliated.

Here is an attached article that is helping me out. I have read it once already but seriously will have to read 2-3 times to really grasp it. It is less speculation and more about what is actually happening. Not good (referring to events not article). Not enough information is given on how talk between the Kurds and Syria have had in the previous months to know who is the target in this current situation, IMO.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/10/pullback-northern-syria-key-questions-answered-191007141408983.html

Save     Thanked by petalique
catkinZ8a

Tell us, how many troops is our POTUS removing from Syria, hmmm?

Save    
Rina

Lurker, the Kurds have been having the cr*p beaten out of them for many decades. For example:

The Halabja chemical attack, also known as the Halabja Massacre or Bloody Friday, was a massacre against the Kurdish people that took place on March 16, 1988, during the closing days of the Iran–Iraq War in the Kurdish city of Halabja in Iraq. (ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_chemical_attack )

I remember that one.

I'm sure that by this time some of them are terrorists. That's what happens in a situation like that, if it is bad enough and goes on long enough. This is a key reason why it is so important to find just solutions to clashes of political/social/territorial interests as soon as possible. The longer it oppression goes on, the worse the eventual reaction.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Lion, are you a Trump supporter? I had no idea.

Save    
ubro(2a)

What a terrible thing to do to your allies. ISIS must be thrilled ......the Generals must be ill at the thought of such a betrayal.

I wonder what the troops think, they after all, have been fighting with the Kurds.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

50 TROOPS---COUNT 'EM 50 TROOPS

On Monday, about 50 U.S. special forces personnel were removed from zone of the Syria-Turkey border, according to a senior administration official. However, the move "is not the beginning of a formal pullout of Syria," the official added.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/07/767904589/shocking-trump-is-criticized-for-pulling-troops-from-syrian-border

Save    
HU9999

Lion, are you a Trump supporter?

Oh, maybe not? Not sure why I thought s/he was.

Save    
chase_gw

Although the troops understand their duty to follow the orders of their CIC, I truly believe they are totally disgusted with this decision and with Trump. Yes, they want to come home but they are soldiers and they understand better than anyone that all they fought for is now being placed in jeopardy and their comrades abandoned.

Too bad Mattis has said he will not speak against a sitting President......I bet he is one ticked off General who will have lots to say after Trump is gone.

Something happened on that call, I just know it did. Hopefully someone will come forward with the truth.

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

"Trump is going to start World War 3!!!"

"I'm finally stopping our endless wars."

"War is good because Trump is bad!

Reeeeeeeeeeeee"

Save    
chase_gw

I don't think Lion is a supporter of any politician! A true Independent!!! LOL

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Chase, that is my impression, as well.

Save    
HU9999

they are soldiers and they understand better than anyone that all they fought for is now being placed in jeopardy and their comrades abandoned

Also that fellow soldiers have died to contain Isis. And now those deaths were in vain because of an impulsive and spectacularly stupid CIC.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

50 troops

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Pipelines.

Save    
lurker111

IDK, If the Kurds used US weapons for terrorist strikes in Turkey...Then we would have to drop them like a hot potato. Just a thought.

Save    
chase_gw

The important issue isn't the exact number that have been withdrawn , it is the green light Trump gave Erdogan.

Save    
lurker111

Green light? Trump isn't the leader of the world. Canada can step in. 30-50 troops were pulled because they were at extreme risk. 30-50.

Save    
Iris GW

There are about 1,000 U.S. troops in northern Syria, and a senior U.S. official said they will pull back from the area — and potentially depart the country entirely, should widespread fighting break out between Turkish and Kurdish forces.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/u-s-troops-begin-pulling-out-of-syria-leaving-kurds-without-support

Save    
Emily H(9)

Popping in for a second.

Couple things - going to reiterate that no one is obligated to post on any particular topic, so please do not attempt to bait or disparage members of the community if they don't happen to participate in any particular place.

Second - stop with the telling other members of the community they have blood on their hands. If we want to have these kinds of topics here, we are going to have to learn to discuss things without that kind of character assassination.

If you want to talk about politicians and policies, fine. Leave out other members of the community.

Save    
Andie

Bottom line, we betrayed our allies to support Russia.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

So 50 US troops were pulled out and 950 remain after trump gave Turkey the green light to bomb away. Will these 950 continue to aide the Kurds or out of disgust and revenge will the Kurds take them hostage or worse? What will these 950 say to their former allies? "Whoops? So sorry but our commander in chief has a couple of towers in Turkey which he needs to protect"

Save    
Andie

Save    
HamiltonGardener

The Kurds are a more modern and civil society than most in the region. I would like to support them.

The groups who oppose them are the same ones who believe the West is evil.

Save    
Iris GW

"Many of the ISIS prisoners will be free in the coming days and weeks."

Thanks, Trump!

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

WTH--we love war now! The Dems

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Nope, the Dems were liking the peace, now you like the war.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

We don't love war, but we do like doing right by our allies ... and we like to keep our ISIS fighters in prison. Trump supporters like the opposite?

1 Like Save    
HU9999

Trump is allowing Isis prisoners to go free and give them free reign to rebuild and potentially attack us again.

And to some this is good news. MAGA!

SMH!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 8 Lessons on Renovating a House from Someone Who's Living It
So you think DIY remodeling is going to be fun? Here is one homeowner's list of what you may be getting yourself into
Full Story
Decluttering 10 Habits That May Be Messing Up Your House
Start your year right by busting these clutter-inducing habits and creating a tidier interior
Full Story
Organizing Trending Now: 15 Dream Closets to Admire
The most popular new closet photos on Houzz appeal to the neatnik or clotheshorse in all of us. Which do you prefer?
Full Story