SaveComment33Like
Comments (33)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watchmelol

??? Nothing changed here.

Save     Thanked by sushipup1
sushipup1

I'm seeing the first few lines of text plus pictures of each thread in each forum. Looks a lot busier to the eye.

Save    
dedtired

I don’t see anything different . What am I missing?

dees_1

At the upper part of the forum page and at the far right hand side, there is a VIEW section with 2 selections. The option on the left has three lines and will show the thread heading without preview. The option on the right has two lines and will show the thread heading plus preview. Toggle between the two to get the display you prefer.

1 Like Save     Thanked by sushipup1
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

dees_1 just gave the solution while I was doing an image but I'll post it anyway.

maifleur01

One thing I have noticed that when I go to Household Finance there are no postings. Earlier there was another one of the forums that only had two entries in it but that apparently has cleared.

blfenton

I always put mine to the two lines so that I see the first couple of lines of text. It helps to remind me of the thread and it also helps me to decide whether or not I want to read it. But for me the default is always the three lines as seen in RIchards post and then I click onto the two lines.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Some of the gardening forums no longer have any history archives to go to listed at the bottom. The bean forum is only showing 4 threads right now.

sushipup1

This morning, it's back to normal. And I don't recall doing anything with that "view" selection last night.

They are messing with us.

Save    
socks

Maifleur Mentioned the household finances forum. I thought that sounded interesting. Checking it out, not a single post. Did it have postings before, Mai?

OutsidePlaying

Nothing has changed for me.

However I did do an update on my iPad a couple of days ago and there were some fairly significant changes I had to adjust for with that.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Computer help only has about 5 posts available. Garden junk has 3. It appears they are deleting all of the older posts. They might be preparing to eliminate some of the forums.

Olychick

Oh, hopefully, trying to eliminate the problem of old posts of similar subjects being shown on the right column, then brought to life again by unaware posters. By deleting lots of those old posts, that problem should resolve.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

None of the GardenWeb forums show any previous posts beyond a single page or so, even the very active ones like Container Gardening, Name That Plant or Perennials.......nothing really beyond the start of this month.

I seriously doubt they are deleting anything but this is just another in the endless string of software glitches that pop up on a nearly daily basis. Like the lack of an edit function that miraculously reappeared after several days. I'd be willing to bet good money that it will also resolve in due course.

Lindsey_CA

"Oh, hopefully, trying to eliminate the problem of old posts of similar subjects being shown on the right column, then brought to life again by unaware posters. By deleting lots of those old posts, that problem should resolve."

There are other, perhaps better, ways to solve that issue.

In the past, before Houzz took over, a thread was limited to 100 replies. Once the limit was reached, a new thread had to be started. Now, threads seems to have no limit, and they're a real pain when they get to be so long. Yes, there are multiple ways to skip immediately to the bottom, but it's still a pain when you don't want to get to the bottom, but to the last response that you read so that you can continue from there.

Why not have a reasonable limit - maybe 150 replies - and then automatically close, but not eliminate, the thread. There could be a button to automatically generate a new thread with a link to the original thread. That way, folks would have an easy way to refer to the original if they want (or ignore if they don't want to review the original).

Getting rid of older threads will be quite detrimental to forums like Building a Home.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
Olychick

Lindsey, hopefully, they wouldn't eliminate all old posts but there are some really useless posts that pop up fairly often because someone has revived them either to spam them or to reply to an 8 year old post that appeared on the side.

maifleur01

Socks I did have postings on it but mostly I check to see if someone is posting something new that I can learn from.

sushipup1

But here are some forums with all posts removed, all fairly inactive forums. Then there are some that have only one post and NOT the most recent one, either. Messing with our minds!

Save    
joann_fl

I haven't noticed a change. It must me minor

Amazing Aunt Audrey

I get here via my phone, no charges for me.

Save    
maifleur01

All of the comments that I have made in the peony forum going back to 2005 or 2006 are gone, Like many plant forums is only active in spring and fall but with fb there are so many other sites that have similar information.

Save    
Jasdip

Wow!!! Our own KT is only 5 pages of history!!! That's awful. There's nothing after that.

Save    
Lars

Look at what has happened to these forums that I follow:

South African Native Plants

Bromeliads

Hot Peppers

I only see one thread for each of these, even though they are much more active than that. Maybe on daily, but at least weekly.

Save    

They must be messing with something.

When I clicked the Hot Peppers link I got lots of threads.

But when I refreshed the page, I got just one thread.

ETA: Most times I get a single thread but if I keep refreshing more eventually shows.

1 Like Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Yeah, Houzz is screwing up the pages again. Lots of the garden forums show only a couple of threads. They are totally incompetent.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I just checked a couple of forums that had shown no information and some of the threads were back but none of the recent ones.

Save    
sushipup1

Just checked Caregivers and a bunch of old threads have reappeared at the top.

Sheesh, such blankblankblank.

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

Looks like this is the case in all the threads that had all the posts removed. Now they are back in old random order.

Save    
matthias_lang

Does anyone know where to find the forum on which Houzz sometimes will answer user questions about new features and glitches? I don't remember what it is called.

Save    
1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

Do I hear some concerns about several forums being thread-bare?

Not too unusual here, as I have something like a half dozen or so troubling garden pants, though some are rather thread-bare, the most serious issue is that they have holes, often multi-holes, at that, that need patching.

A worthwhile winter project (as it was last year) ... but after about three years of mediocre results ... one could well wonder whether this old fart may be in goofd enough condition, or have the inclination, to be feeling a need for gardening pants, come spring.

ole joyful

Save    
sushipup1

Old posts seem to now be restored in correct order.

Save    
Emily H

Hey there, We indeed had a bug that made it look like threads were missing. It's partially fixed right now for some views, and we are working on the rest. Thanks for your patience!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Master Bedroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make your bedroom a serene dream with easy moves that won’t give your bank account nightmares
Full Story
Bedrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Guest Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make overnight guests feel comfy and cozy with small, inexpensive niceties
Full Story
Entryways The Cure for Houzz Envy: Entryway Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a smashing first impression with just one or two affordable design moves
Full Story