Polls: Majority of Americans Now Support Impeachment

jerzeegirl(9b)

Support for impeachment is increasing — so much so that a majority of Americans now support it, according to a new poll this week. And that result — from Civiqs — isn’t an outlier.

It’s bolstered by a new Washington Post-Schar School survey that found the majority of Americans are for an impeachment inquiry, and by a FiveThirtyEight meta-analysis that found support for impeachment jumped up markedly following the launch of that inquiry in late September. Democrats launched their inquiry after news broke about a whistleblower report alleging misconduct on a July phone call between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Using a model based on a number of polls, FiveThirtyEight found 50.1 percent of Americans support impeachment, as of Tuesday. And through online polling, Civiqs found 51 percent of Americans support impeachment. It is notable that both figures take Democrats, independents, and Republicans into account, and that both have spiked since late September: Impeachment support in FiveThirtyEight’s calculation rose by about 10 percentage points and in the Civiqs poll by about 6 percentage points.

Both studies also found the vast majority of Democrats now support impeachment; FiveThirtyEight puts the number at 82.7 percent, while Civiqs found it to be a startling 88 percent. Independent support was rather strong as well, with FiveThirtyEight finding 45.7 percent in favor of impeachment, and Civiqs recording 48 percent. However, an almost equal number of independents are also against impeachment, according to Civiqs: 46 percent.

Unsurprisingly, few Republicans were found to currently be behind impeachment: 15 percent with the FiveThirtyEight numbers, and 8 percent at Civiqs. Despite this low support among Republicans, FiveThirtyEight found support for impeachment is nevertheless rising among that group too — it stayed between 8 and 12 percent all year until the end of September before increasing.

These results were mirrored by the Washington Post’s work — in a traditional telephone poll, its pollsters asked respondents who said they were for an impeachment inquiry whether “the House of Representatives should or should not vote to remove Trump from office,” and 86 percent of respondents said it should.Link

SaveComment27Like1
Comments (27)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

Are these the people watching more than just Fox News ....?

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

In what universe does the phone polling of 1,000 people prove anything?

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The exit polls being wrong and giving Hillary the lead actually give more credence to actual election fraud being committed. We won’t hear about it until years from now.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

The President: I would like you to do us a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it. I would like you to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say Crowdstrike... I guess you have one of your wealthy people... The server, they say Ukraine has it. There are a lot of things that went on, the whole situation. I think you're surrounding yourself with some of the same people. I would like to have the Attorney General call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it. As you saw yesterday, that whole nonsense ended with a very poor performance by a man named Robert Mueller, an incompetent performance, but they say a lot of it started with Ukraine. Whatever you can do, it's very important that you do it if that's possible.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Yes the pro impeachment of trump polls are heading up up and away. Unlike during the Clinton pro impeachment period polls which never topped being in the 30% range. You trumpsters thinking that trump's popularity will go up with his impeachment is fantasy, pretty much on par with everything pro trump.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Impeach due to a "poll" based on public opinion? Bwahahaha! Read the constitution.

1 Like Save    
how2girl

Yet phone polling of 1000 people to assess Trumps approval rating proves something? - of course, but only when the numbers are in his favour /s

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

I'd like a dime for every poll the wingers trot out when it's in their candidates favor.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

That probably wouldn't add up to much - there aren't a lot...

Save    
margaux

The numbers in support of impeachment rose since the end of September. Those who were not convinced by the Mueller report are convinced now. In the midst of this, he does more stupid things that even Republican Congressmen and Fox News are criticizing him for. People are getting tired of the chaos, incompetence, and corruption. Throw in a few more controversies that are sure to come as he stokes hate at his rallies and hopefully he's done.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, Trumpers!

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Public support is mentioned in the constitution. You guys should take my advice. That's why were seeing these bogus "polls".

Save    
Iris GW

Bogus as defined by Trump and Trumpsters? No thanks, I don't support alternative facts from Trump and Trumpsters.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Polls are for liberals. The rest of America isn't that gullible.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

lurker111

Polls are for liberals. The rest of America isn't that gullible.

Tell that to Ann——-she loves polls.

5 Likes Save    
margaux

Trumpers predict his reelection based on how many people they personally know who are Trump supporters.

Save    
HU9999

You beat me to it, joanie. The poster that posts the most polls is a Trump supporter. But then facts never mattered to some posters.

The facts are the support for an inquiry, and for removal, are increasing. The more info we learn, the more the numbers rise. That's not good news for Trump.

And for those that seem incapable of understanding what is happening -- the inquiry and potential impeachment are not because of the polls. It's because of what Trump has done. This is not rocket science.

1 Like Save    
margaux

Trump loves polls too, but it takes someone of his great and unmatched wisdom to understand them.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

IF Nervous Nancy brings it to a floor vote, Dems that were elected in the mid-terms in states that Trump won are in jeopardy--they'd be on record voting for impeachment of our POTUS.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Guess they expected no would notice the OpEd they wrote.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Trump is afraid of Nancy. I’d say he is the nervous one.

1 Like Save    
HU9999

they'd be on record voting for impeachment of our POTUS.

Why do you keep repeating the same comment on multiple threads. Anyway, I'll repeat my response -

It appears you don't understand what is happening now. The vote would not be for impeachment. Is that what Fox is telling you? I suggest you expand your news sources so you are informed.

5 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Only a fool would think that the constituents of each district don't know exactly where their representative stands...vote or no vote!

3 Likes Save    
2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

To clarify, that poll is not just for impeaching him but also removing him from office.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Why do you keep repeating the same comment on multiple threads. Anyway, I'll repeat my response -

Save    
HU9999

50% wants him removed. Not just an inquiry done. Not just impeached in the house. Removed from office.

I guess people are waking up. Will that wake up the members of congress who have not been doing their job? Those that have allowed this to happen? Those that today continue to support the president abusing his power? I think pulling troops out of Syria could be the tipping point for Republicans in Congress. We shall see.

Save    
margaux

catkinZ8a

Really???? ROFL!!!

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Data Watch Houzz Survey: See What Homeowners Are Doing With Their Landscapes Now
Homeowners are busy putting in low-maintenance landscapes designed for outdoor living, according to the 2015 Houzz landscaping survey
Full Story
Most Popular A Caregiver’s Guide to a Supportive Home
A daughter who’s been there shares 9 tips on tailoring a home for a loved one with dementia
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: A 1905 Cottage Gets a Major Family Update
Historic Boston meets outdoors Oregon in this expanded California home
Full Story