Willie Brown: 2020-Hillary Clinton Should Run against President Trump

catkinZ8a

LOCAL // WILLIE'S WORLD

Who should run against Trump? How about Hillary Clinton?

Willie Brown Oct. 5, 2019

Updated: Oct. 5, 2019 10:09

It’s time for Hillary Clinton to come out of retirement, lace up the gloves and get back in the ring with President Trump for what would be the biggest political rematch ever.

Call me crazy, but from what I’ve seen so far, Clinton is the only candidate short of Barack Obama who has the brains, the battle-tested brawn and the national presence to take out Trump. And Obama can’t run.

Bernie Sanders was fading even before his heart started acting up. Joe Biden has become Trump’s main talking point in the whole Ukraine-China impeachment mess, which hardly helps him. And he wasn’t exactly running away with it before that.

Elizabeth Warren has a following, but it’s not that much broader than Sanders’. If he drops out, she might pick up some of his votes. But there’s the big question of whether she appeals to anyone besides the furthest left element of the Democratic Party.

Depression over the current field was swirling through my head the other day when I popped into the office of my friend Steven Kay and saw that famous picture of Muhammad Ali standing victorious over Sonny Liston hanging on the wall.

That’s when the light went on: “Rematch!”

Think about it. Hillary is still the smartest of the bunch. She’s also better known than any of the candidates, so she doesn’t need a lot of money.

Most of all, she can take a punch. Heck, she can take a 2-by-4 over the head and stay standing.

Clinton beat Trump by nearly 3 million votes nationally in 2016, but of course lost the Electoral College. That’s not bad for one of the worst-run campaigns ever. You’ve got to think she and the party learned something.

She sure seems loose. Clinton has been making the media rounds to promote the book she wrote with her daughter, Chelsea Clinton, “The Book of Gutsy Women.” She’s come off as funny, smart and natural.

It would be an astounding development if she got into the race. But these past three years have been one nonstop run of astounding. Why stop now?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/williesworld/article/Who-should-run-against-Trump-How-about-Hillary-14494201.php

SaveComment17Like1
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkinZ8a

Come on, Dems--it's HER TURN!

Can't wait to see all the support for Crooked Hillary!

4 Likes Save    
Carro

I'm not sure whether to laugh...or be horrified.

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Let's talk about Hilary who didn't win instead of the incompetent vulgarian puppet in the White House. Great deflection.

5 Likes Save    
Eat Well

If you Google search this photo it goes to straight to the donald reddit page. If reddit won't allow it to be shared why is it allowed to be posted in Houzz?

2 Likes Save    
Ann

She's in 3rd on Predictit, the betting website Hayday has posted multiple times. That would indicate to me that quite a number of people think she'll enter the race.

1 Like Save    
Jennifer

She won by three million votes The 78000 votes in three states screwed this country beyond repair. But that ain’t gonna happen next time.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
lurker111

She's insane. She actually thinks she is the "legitimate president". lol! No chance.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

I've suspected all along she wants to run again. Who is going to stop her?

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Betting odds are higher that T won’t be the R nominee than that H will be the D nominee. The former gives me more hope than the latter concerns me.

Senior Analyst from predictit says it’s unusual for an incumbent to be betting at odds this low.

Save    
catkinZ8a

That prompted Clinton, who has twice run for the White House, to respond, "Don’t tempt me. Do your job."

Social media exploded about the prospect of a rematch.

Democrats keep scoffing at the idea that Hillary Clinton will run again.

And then, this. https://t.co/8Umovcc9tF— Jake Sherman (@JakeSherman) October 8, 2019

Hillary wants to break the glass ceiling of being the first woman to lose the presidency 3 times https://t.co/Sx7AZFalkL— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) October 8, 2019

Omg. I LOVE HER— Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) October 8, 2019

Donald Trump tweets that Hillary Clinton should run again in 2020.

Clinton responds with...https://t.co/tE0d7FMIaS— Dan Merica (@merica) October 8, 2019

Run Hillary Run! https://t.co/2dpA0nWrqN— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) October 8, 2019

Creating a 19-lane highway for Trump to attack familiar Dems (Biden, Hillary) for months and months while somebody else slides into the nomination is not a bad strategy for Dems. I just don't think it's actually the strategy being deployed. https://t.co/KQarx6JEmX— Ben Collins (@oneunderscore__) October 8, 2019

Hillary is running for 2020. Calling it now.— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) October 8, 2019

A Trump v. Hillary newscycle is an in-kind to the Trump Campaign— Matt Gorman (@mattsgorman) October 8, 2019

It’s Hillary time. Enough. https://t.co/S5dNNqMTrg— Seth Mandel (@SethAMandel) October 8, 2019

Trump won the 2016 election by a margin of 304-227 in the Electoral College, though Clinton won nearly 3 million more votes.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Hillary has stated repeatedly on TV that she has no desire to run again. She is enjoying being a grandmother and taking a much needed rest from politics.

OTOH, I do wonder how she would fare when matched up against Eliz Warren, should she run....

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Hillary The Crooked One is a liar.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

The "crooked one who is a liar" is your Trump.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Idiot Hillary Clinton wanted to start an immediate war with Russia after she declared a No-Fly Zone over Syria.

Save    
queenmargo

LOL- I love that "Hillary the Crooked One" LOL

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

If the missing shoe fits :wink wink:

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
Decorating Guides Design Debate: Is It OK to Hang the TV Over the Fireplace?
In the spirit of the upcoming political debates, we kick off a series of conversations on hotly contested design topics
Full Story
Most Popular Interior Design Trends Expected to Take Hold in 2018
Get the lowdown on the colors, materials and other design decisions gaining steam now
Full Story