SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christina_prakash64

What materials should I use to remodel my fireplace?

I live in a 2 bedroom 1952 ranch. This is my current fireplace which we use occasionally. I want to remove the wood trim, bricks, tile and the brass screen. What do I replace it with to make it go with the rest of the room? I want a new mantle-natural wood or painted? Should I keep the new mantle at the height the current one is? Should the wall surrounding the firebox be surrounded by tile, stone or something else? Should the surrounding material cover from floor to ceiling of go up to the bottom of the new mantle? The cabinetry on both sides will be updated to go with the cabinetry on the other side of the room. The lower cabinet doors be changed to match the new cabinetry on the opposite wall and the cabinet top will be beefed up with a thicker front. Eventually, we will change the upper shelves and remove the trim. I plan to put a large round sun-like mirror over the fireplace. The other metals in the room is the black iron of the lamps, and brushed nickel for the cabinet pulls and the "feet" at the bottom of the table legs.

Below is the wall opposite the fireplace wall. To the left of the tv is the formal entry. To the right is a wide opening to our dining area. The decor is in storage at the moment due to a kitchen remodel that will start soon. I have lots of original art from India to decorate with as well as sculpture, photographs and paintings.

Below are the other two walls.

The couch above and chair below are more of a charcoal gray. The lighting is making it look purplish. The two tweed chairs swivel.

Does anyone have ideas to help me complete this room?

Comments (16)