SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

How Fine Fescue withstand decades of Full Sun but not Tall fescue?

Zone 6-7 new jersey.

Tall fescue is supposed to be the more drought resistant of the two. But the thing is this, I know of several yards that for decades probably were not well cared for at all, not been watered, not been mowed very often, not been fertilized, have been left with leaves matted over Winter, but I'm seeing fine fescue in full sun doing great now, even taking heavy foot traffic which it's not known for. at all

My guess is someone many years ago planted a sun and shade seed mix Sun being the Tall fescue and Kentucky blue and perrenial rye, and shade being the fine fescue, (seed brands consider rye and Tall Fescue as shade grass usually too but that's besides the point)....And that everything besides the fine fescue died apparently. I doubt someone planted pure fine fescue mix. Some fescues are know to creep and fill in is why I think I'm seeing solid patches of it from possibly decades ago.

I don't know if this is chewings fescue, hard fescue, creeping red etc.

I know that without a lot of irrigation with sprinklers that the Kentucky blue will die easily.

Maybe it's not that the tall fescue died from heat/sun/drought (which it's supposed to beat Fine Fescue in) but maybe the Tall Fescue died form things that doesn't kill Fine Fescue as easily such as Brown Patch, or snow mold etc???? thanks

Comments (7)