SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trish_walter

Help me improve master bathroom/powder room layout...

Trish Walter
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

'd love to make it smaller too... the powder room is tucked back here for summer time pool etc...so if we can make it more of a square so I can have hooks etc for towels maybe?

thoughts on windows flanking where a bed could go on back wall too vs big window in middle...the dotted lines are for transom windows. I really wanted a walk in shower with no door [hard to keep clean even with water softener in Indiana and new house will be on well]. plus I like the look but this might be too large. I also love to bathe so do want the tub to stay. Thinking could go 5.5' and can just be soaking...freestanding or drop in doesn't matter to me. Like it to be by window. Private toilet area important.

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

A shower head in a double exterior wall only gives the pipes more space to burst in.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

1 shower head on outside and 1 on inside wall ...I have tub and shower and sinks on outside wall in current house in master bathroom for 20 years and have not burst yet. knock wood.

• Related Discussions

Master bathroom help-crosspost from bathroom forum

Q

Comments (19)
    olychick, thank you for taking a look. :) I'm relieved to hear you think a white shower pan is best. I am heading out now to find porcelain marble look tiles for the shower walls to pick up the gray as you suggested. I want a shiny finish to the walls. Tell me if you think that's a misstep. I am avoiding marble as I have a marble topped vanity now that is pock marked with etchings. As far as seeing myself in the vanity, yes, I think I will be able to do so. I was planning on a black framed mirror spanning the vanity. My current vanity is 32 1/4" high (as will be the new vanity) and when seated on my vanity stool my reflection is seen up to my chest. The only issue currently is that my knees are pressed against drawers. I failed to mention that I was thinking of using absolute black granite for the vanity top for two reasons: one being cost and the other being to avoid etching. Will doing so deviate too much from my inspiration? Lastly, I had the idea of applying pieces of beveled mirror framed by black molding floor to ceiling along the back wall and continuing behind the toilet (similar to this only floor to ceiling with the exception of base molding & crown): [Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Northbrook Architects & Building Designers Michael A. Menn Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you for reading this far. :)
    ...See More

Help me layout my mater bathroom & bedroom with load bearing wall

Q

Comments (0)
    We are remodeling our house and building an addition. We are wanting to expand and redo our master bathroom and bedroom in addition to a few other things. Right now I have a load bearing wall going through the area we have to work with, an I do not want to completely move it. They're are 8 ft ceilings in this area. The entrance to the bedroom area is on the load bearing wall and we could do one more door way either leading to the bathroom or closet area etc. I am attaching a pic. The two large rectangles are the spaces we can use for the master areas. Anyone have any ideas for how we could make this a master bedroom and bath without crossing that middle wall (labeled 17ft) too many times? You see the bedroom entrance to the left of the pantry. We COULD enter this area from the right of the pantry (making a short little hallway where it jogs back. The large opening below the pantry opens to the kitchen dining and great room. To the right even further we have a mudroom/powder room. Let me know if this doesn't make sense! It's quite a big area!
    ...See More

Master Bathroom layout help

Q

Comments (34)
    Thank you cpartist & suzanne_m I went to my architect and moving the entrance to my MBR is a no go at this point. She was impressed with the MBA design to square off the wall and move my bathroom fixtures around. I totally understand about the towers taking over and I like the look but I'm only going to do a six foot run with two sinks so I think it would be too cramped to have one in the center. I also plan on doing a frosted glass door in WC for some natural light. She suggested I do a a small tray ceiling in bath to match the bedroom since it's easy enough to do since this part is an extension. My Hall bathroom I will have the shower on the back wall with the sink and toilet on one side and some storage on the opposite side. Although she forgot and drew the door too far over. But I can handle that with the contractor. Thanks again I have attached a photo. Kind of hard to see fixtures on it.
    ...See More

Master bathroom layout help

Q

Comments (4)
    If you want that effect, shorten down on the vanities and lengthen the fireplace. You have room in your plan for a firebox but not the margin on both sides this pic has, which is one of the things that makes it look so good. My estimate is that each of those vanities is about 60" and if that's a 3' firebox then there's at least 18" on each side. That's makes that stretch in the picture at least 15' long.
    ...See More
  • Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

First, let's clean up those bitty-blue lines so we can see the big players -- speaking only for myself, "too much" throws me off:

Thoughts on improvements:

- I agree with you about a big shower, but I think you've overshot the mark. At 4'6" wide, you're going to be showering in a really big-big space, and -- one day when you're old -- you won't be able to reach grab bars on two sides at once. I'd stick with the length, which allows you to have a "dry end" of the shower, but I'd reduce to 4' width (or even a few inches more narrow -- personally, I think 3 1/2' is perfect). Consider widening your shower entrance; it's small for a large shower -- go 36" .

- In fact, look at all your door sizes; they're all kinda on the small size.

- The tub is okay, and the angle will prevent bruises. I wanted an oval tub ... 'til I went and sat in one; this may be personal preference, so go do your homework and sit in tubs for yourself! I also prefer a tub that isn't so very wide (42" is pretty wide) because that big tub takes more water /with more surface area, it cools off more quickly. Again, though, tubs can be personal, and you've gotta go put your actual butt in some actual tubs.

- Where are you hanging towels for the tub and shower?

- I like that your door opens /shoots you towards the vanity and the toilet, which are used more often than your tub and shower.

- Note that your sinks are pushed alllll the way over to the edges so that -- although you have all that space in the middle -- you'll be standing right up against the wall to groom yourself. I'd downsize to one sink (two is such a waste) and allow each spouse a nice wide drawer stack /one on each side of the sink. One good single sink + plenty of drawer storage is highly functional.

- I love the connection between the laundry and the master closet, but this master closet isn't very big -- and I'm no clothes horse. Note that those corners are suggesting more storage space than will actually exists.

- The linen closet is exactly what I have in my master bath, and although it's small, it's plenty. I have open space in the lower half for a hamper and towel /toiletry storage above.

- The biggest thing I'd change is master toilet and the half bath. At 30" wide each, your toilet spaces are way-way skimpy. AND, to make it worse, you're going to lose a couple inches from each side for wall thickness. My daughter's master bath has a toilet in a bitty space like this (though thankfully behind a pony wall, not locked up in a dark closet), and it bothers me -- and I'm a small person. I can only imagine her husband finds it uncomfortable.

My suggestion: Combine the half bath and the master toilet. You'll get one comfortable space (grandma can get in there with her walker), you'll save money on building and time every week on cleaning. Note, too, that this gives you a straight shot through the half bath into your larger master bath -- this wide-open pathway will be comfortable to use and easy to clean. Just put a lock on the "master side" so when people come over, they only have access to the half bath. Finally, it removes the view of a toilet from the kitchen ... instead, the toilet's kinda "tucked back" into the half bath.

And look, you have a whole wall in the half-bath for those pool towel hooks. You could even turn the linen closet so it'd serve the half-bath /store pool towels ... and you could steal some space from that very long vanity for a second small master-only linen closet.

- With a few changes, this master bath can be a win-win-win.

• Karenseb
    4 years ago

I'd definitely do two windows, one on each side of the bed. I have that now and I like it.

If you remove the linen cabinet, you could put the toilet closet across from the vanity with a pocket door. I put the toilet backing up to the stairs to keep noise at night to a minimum.

I expect the powder room would not see much use when you are sleeping.

I think a 96 inch vanity would be nice. Perhaps two 36 inch vanities with drawers in between.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks all. great suggestions.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

Great suggestions :)

I second the only one sink for sure. Idk about you, but I need counter space more than the sink. If we can't share the sink for the 3.3 minutes it takes to brush our teeth, then we have bigger problems. :)

Absolutely yes on the powder room suggestion from Mrs. P & karen. You definitely don't want to open that "pool" door & look straight at the toilet every time.

The shower/tub area bugs me, I like shead's idea. You could always combine the two. (People either love or hate that.)

I'm intrigued by Mrs. P's combo bathroom. tbh that pool bath is only going to get used 3-4 months out of the year as a pool bath. I mean unless Indiana continues to get record heat like we've had and it stays 90 in Oct. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Something like this for bath/shower??

Bathrooms · More Info

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

or this? :)

Sunset Hill- Micro-Modern · More Info

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

Or definitely this! I mean why not??? <insert sarcasm here>

What do all those knobs DO???!!! I lead an extremely sheltered life apparently. ;>)

Reynolds Plantation Home · More Info

• Karenseb
    4 years ago

I like sheads layout, but would switch the toilet room and shower like she suggested as a possibility.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

"Note that your sinks are pushed alllll the way over to the edges so that -- although you have all that space in the middle -- you'll be standing right up against the wall to groom yourself. I'd downsize to one sink (two is such a waste) and allow each spouse a nice wide drawer stack /one on each side of the sink. One good single sink + plenty of drawer storage is highly functional."

"I second the only one sink for sure. Idk about you, but I need counter space more than the sink. If we can't share the sink for the 3.3 minutes it takes to brush our teeth, then we have bigger problems."

With an 8' long vanity, why not have one long sink with two faucets? That way, one person can be using cold water while the other person is using hot water, and you still only have one sink to clean. Put it in the center of the vanity, and you'll have room on either side for "stuff."

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm doing 2 sinks. But I will consider where the counter space is. I actually don't require much. Great ideas about combining toilet and powder but I am keeping separate toilets for both bathrooms. But so glad people were able to give more room in powder for hooks, etc.

I had asked somewhere else about a wet room idea and it was strongly discouraged [where shower and bath are together behind glass or whatever.

I like shead's idea about moving shower location and also someone else's suggestion about making shower narrower with entrance winder.

I was going to put a towel warmer on the blank wall to the right of the entry door....or could put linen closet there since I'm losing it.

The half bath is for all the time company we just moved it back so when pool in use it's more convenient. In the winter folks will live walking 4 extra feet or whatever.

Thanks again. Great ideas.

Trish

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

I agree with much of what Mrs Pete wrote but I don't agree with the powder and master sharing a toilet. You have the space for both.

Technically, the OP has space for two toilets -- but realistically, she doesn't have space for two COMFORTABLE toilets. 30" wide for each space and some space will be lost to the wall thickness. OP, look at a yardstick and really think about how small 30" is. Bathrooms are constant-use rooms; they should not be built to the minimum standards ... and the minimum standard is 15" on each side of the toilet bowl (or, 30".) You're talking about building toilets with the same small space allotted to college apartments.

I'm intrigued by Mrs. P's combo bathroom. tbh that pool bath is only going to get used 3-4 months out of the year as a pool bath.

Love it or hate it, you have to admit it's highly practical. We're doing something very similar in our new house ... because toilets sit un-used about 99% of the time, and I adamantly don't want to pay for /clean /maintain things that are used only rarely. I have much better things to do with both my time and money!

With an 8' long vanity, why not have one long sink with two faucets?

Those unusual sized sinks are pretty pricey -- be sure you look at them and make sure you want one before you commit. I really don't see duplicate faucets (or other things) as a plus.

I was going to put a towel warmer on the blank wall to the right of the entry door.

Can you arrange for the heat vents to blow "up that wall"? If so, you'll have a free, no-additional-cost-to-run-it towel warmer. By happy accident, we have that in both of our bathrooms. It dries the towels fast too.

• shead
    4 years ago

"Technically, the OP has space for two toilets -- but realistically, she doesn't have space for two COMFORTABLE toilets."

We will have to agree to disagree. I believe the layout I posted would give her more than 30" for each toilet. I wouldn't want to have to worry about making sure a door got locked every time I went to the loo. I'd give up the tub (or combine the tub and shower area) before I gave up my own toilet.

OP,

Regarding the towel warmer, the idea of using heat vents is a great one, except in the months where you've switched to A/C ;)

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

tub: I am leaning towards a rectangle 72"x36" tub. And I'd love to separate the vanities [we have separate 48" vanities now]... thinking 30 or 36" ? would that help. And making shower width 4'. I'd like the toilet room to be better laid out. It was on my must have list. Our toilet is behind a pony wall and not private enough for me..I've complained about it for 20 years ha ha.

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

We will have to agree to disagree. I believe the layout I posted would give her more than 30" for each toilet.

Well, let's turn to math: Each toilet closet is 2'10" (or 34") ... then we must deduct the wall thickness, which is almost certainly 4" on each side. That leaves us with 30" of width. Minimum to meet code.

I'd give up the tub (or combine the tub and shower area) before I gave up my own toilet.

I'd be interested in hearing the rationale for this thought. A separate tub /shower gives you a whole different function, whereas a toilet is just something you use a couple times a day. You'd keep all your grooming items in the main bathroom /at your main sink.

• chicagoans
    4 years ago

Lots of good ideas above. Agree on 1 sink in the master bath, and absolutely agree on not having the PR toilet right in front of the door.

I would not separate the tub and shower as shown in one of the suggestions. After soaking in a tub, don't most people like to rinse off in the shower? (Especially if you use bubble bath or similar?) I never feel all the way clean after sitting in my own bath water, so I'd want the shower nearby for a quick rinse.

I like karenseb's layout, with the change to 1 sink. You lose the linen tower but maybe can dedicate some space to that in the WIC.

• Karenseb
    4 years ago

I like the idea of separating the vanities. Two 48 inch vanities would be great if you have the room. Are you sure you want an oval tub 42 X 72? I have that now and I like it, but the length is too long for me (I am 5'4) I had a 66 inch oval in my last house and it was better. I think if you decide on two vanities, you should consider a rectangular tub that doesn't stick out so far as an oval would.

I toyed with moving your entry door down towards the shower because I have a personal dislike of doors that open 180 degrees against the wall.

In your layout, the door probably works better where you have it located. If the door wanders from the wall (won't stay against the wall), you can install a magnetic stop. Works very well.

I'd make sure the toilet room is 42 inches wide.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

Mrs Pete said, "Each toilet closet is 2'10" (or 34") ... then we must deduct the wall thickness, which is almost certainly 4" on each side. That leaves us with 30" of width. Minimum to meet code."

OK, I'm not an architect, but it appears to me that the room measurements are from the inside wall to inside wall, so that would mean you don't deduct anything for wall thickness. Correct? Wrong?

• Karenseb
    4 years ago

Correct. It looks like the inside toilet room measurement are 34 inches.

I prefer 42 inches or more in an enclosed area.

• partim
    4 years ago

Be sure you like that style of tub. My sister has one and says it takes too long to fill, the water cools off quickly, and it's not comfortable to lie back in. Try before you buy for comfort. Reducing the tub to a regular size will give you more room to work with, too.

• Kitty Rocha
    4 years ago

although many aren't in favor of toilet closets i think its good here. when the toilet is open and near a bedroom entrance there could be unpleasant odors getting into the bedroom. not good if trying to sleep or otherwise lounge around in the bedroom

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

TUB: I am not doing that style tub. He just drew it in. I am probably doing rectangular. 72x36. I think mine right now is 60 or 66 inches and it's just a little short for my liking even though I'm only 5'2" my knees stick up when I'm soaking.

Vanities: I don't think 2 48" will fit unfortunately.

Toilet. I'll keep playing to try to get 42" width for the water closet. And yes. He is showing INSIDE measurements.

• partim
    4 years ago

It's worthwhile checking the size of your current tub. If it's now 60", you may be just fine with a 66" and have an extra 6" to play with.

• shead
    4 years ago

Well, let's turn to math: Each toilet closet is 2'10" (or 34") ... then we must deduct the wall thickness, which is almost certainly 4" on each side. That leaves us with 30" of width. Minimum to meet code.

The plan is giving wall to wall measurements. There is no wall thickness to deduct. The wall to wall measurement is 34" in the OP's original plan which, honestly, is still a little too tight for me. I'd rather have closer to 4'0" in width. 3'6" would be as narrow as I'd want. I believe the OP can have that width in a modified plan like the one I did.

I'd be interested in hearing the rationale for this thought. A separate tub /shower gives you a whole different function, whereas a toilet is just something you use a couple times a day. You'd keep all your grooming items in the main bathroom /at your main sink.

Privacy on the toilet is something I highly desire for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't want a bunch of snickering kids waiting outside the door to the shared toilet while I, the MOM, was using it. I also don't want nosey kids trying to take a peek inside my bathroom and heaven forbid, what if you forgot to lock one of the doors....lol!! I consider my bedroom and bathroom my sanctuary/safe haven and I don't want intruders. There's room for both toilets in the OP's plan and with a new build, a separate toilet for the master bathroom is not something she should sacrifice on.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

"A separate tub /shower gives you a whole different function, whereas a toilet is just something you use a couple times a day."

Wow. I wish I needed to use the toilet only a couple times a day...

• partim
    4 years ago

If you make a few things a bit smaller, you can get everything you want.

Make the shower 6" narrower, from 54" to 48".

Make the bathtub 6" shorter, from 72" to 66". In your original post I see that you said you were OK with this size, although your architect drew it larger.

That gives you room for 2 48" vanities, separated by a foot, instead of one 96" vanity.

Replace the 24" deep linen closet with 12" deep cabinets across from the bath tub. You're gaining 6" from the narrower tub, so you will still have plenty of room to move around in the room, and enter the shower.

Turn the master bath toilet room and the powder room toilets so they both face the same way, towards the bottom on your picture. That gets you a rectangular powder room with room for towel hooks on the wall across from the vanity.

Move the master bath toilet room in by 13" so its wall aligns with the other bathroom wall, instead of aligning with the closet wall. Currently it jogs in. As you see from the measurement I have circled in red, that gives you 11' 5" or 137". You need to subtract 10" for the 2 walls. I'd use that 127" for a 42" space for the toilet enclosure in the master, plus a 37" width for the powder room toilet, plus the 48" vanity. You could have a slightly smaller vanity, 42" if you want more space for the toilet.

• partim
    4 years ago

Or the linen tower could go on the other side of the door.

• Vanessa Joubert
    4 years ago

I have a huge open plan bathroom with no walls between the bedroom and bathroom . .My toilet is just next to my closet standing in the open. All of the walls and doors and toilets take up too much space!! Why do you have so many toilets? It would be lovely to look from your bedroom onto your big shower and beautiful bath and make one big double vanity....If you do away with all of the closed toilets you can have a whole different setup and a huge bathroom!

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks all. great ideas. lots to ponder.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just measured my current toilet area....it's currently is behind a knee wall...there's only 30" width and it plenty spacious.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

36 inches clear is really the recommended minimum. Don't go less than that. More is better.

• Karenseb
    4 years ago

Definitely go to a showroom and sit in a tub that is 72 and a tub 66 inches. That extra 6 inches is too much for me. I like to read and soak, so if you are just totally laying down, 72 inches would work.

If you can make the toilet room 42 inches wide, you will have room for a trashcan and scale (if you use one). A 36 inch wide space totally enclosed and with a door will feel smaller than a 36 inch space with even a pony wall open to the room.

• partim
    4 years ago

You will feel tighter in an enclosed space that is 30" wide, than you currently feel with just the knee wall. You can easily accommodate a wider space, even 42" if you move the linen storage elsewhere, and if the wall jog behind the door is eliminated.

When you've had a chance to look at the plan I posted, I wonder if you'd be concerned about my suggested replacement of the ~ 2' X 3' linen closet (probably 4 shelves) with the equivalent amount of wider, shallower storage on the other walls. I'd do 2 cabinets with some glass or open storage, one by the shower and the other by the vanities. ~ 18" X 24" so there should be plenty of selection.

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

I like the idea of separating the vanities.

Even if space weren't an issue, I'd prefer one long vanity. I think one looks neater, less cluttered. Of course, that's pure opinion -- no logic behind it.

Toilet. I'll keep playing to try to get 42" width for the water closet. And yes. He is showing INSIDE measurements.

I'm 100% sure of the right answer here: Verify, verify, verify. How many times have we read threads on this site saying, "But I was so sure ____, and now _____!"

Privacy on the toilet is something I highly desire for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't want a bunch of snickering kids waiting outside the door to the shared toilet while I, the MOM, was using it. I also don't want nosey kids trying to take a peek inside my bathroom and heaven forbid, what if you forgot to lock one of the doors....lol!! I consider my bedroom and bathroom my sanctuary/safe haven and I don't want intruders. There's room for both toilets in the OP's plan and with a new build, a separate toilet for the master bathroom is not something she should sacrifice on.

You and I think completely differently. I'd label you the Idealist and me the Practical One. My thoughts on the above:

- At a certain season of your life, those snickering kids are going to be waiting outside the bathroom door. Period. Whether you have a second toilet-closet door or not, they're strongly motivated to be near you (and is that bad?). Even if you don't actively hear them, your mind is always thinking, "Where are they? What are they doing?" A door may place the kids in a different spot, but the bottom line won't change.

- I can see a lovely bathtub as a sanctuary: your own private spot, space for candles, music, your bath products, a place for you to relax after the kids are tucked away in bed. But a toilet? Especially a toilet in a dark closet? I see nothing but function. No safe haven, no tranquility, no restful moment away from the day -- just a 2-minute necessary function.

- The real barrier to a bathroom should be politeness, not an actual lock. I mean, whether the door's locked or not, kids should be taught to knock and wait before entering.

Consider, too, the "cost" of this toilet-closet sanctuary: More to build, more each week to clean, more bathrooms to which you must shuffle toilet paper and other goods. The more you build, the more you have to deal with on a daily basis; to a point, more is worthwhile, but where does more become tedious instead of helpful?

All of the walls and doors and toilets take up too much space!!

Agree. And those walls /doors /toilets create more-more-more to clean each week. Definitely go to a showroom and sit in a tub that is 72 and a tub 66 inches. That extra 6 inches is too much for me. I like to read and soak, so if you are just totally laying down, 72 inches would work.

Yes, try out tub sizes for yourself. I'm very short, and I also like to read in the tub. I remember one tub (in a vacation condo) that was oversized, and it felt uncomfortable ... I couldn't relax, or I'd "slip down". Since I occasionally fall asleep in the tub, this wouldn't be a very good thing.

You will feel tighter in an enclosed space that is 30" wide, than you currently feel with just the knee wall. You can easily accommodate a wider space, even 42" if you move the linen storage elsewhere, and if the wall jog behind the door is eliminated.

Common sense!

• shead
    4 years ago

" I'd label you the Idealist and me the Practical One....

I can see a lovely bathtub as a sanctuary: your own private spot, space for candles, music, your bath products, a place for you to relax after the kids are tucked away in bed. But a toilet? Especially a toilet in a dark closet? I see nothing but function. No safe haven, no tranquility, no restful moment away from the day -- just a 2-minute necessary function. "

Respectfully, I'd think YOU were more idealist than I am. I homeschool three children ages 11-16 plus have another one in public school so having the time at the end of the day to soak in a tub is not.gonna.happen (plus I don't like taking baths). My "2-minute" toilet time is about the only break from the circus I get around here and trust me, it usually takes more than 2 minutes ;)

My larger point being is that a plan that has the master bath sharing a toilet area with the powder room is NOT a good plan. That's something one might consider if a remodel situation but not a new build. I'd go back to the drawing board because it's something I find unacceptable in a custom built home. I think most would likely agree. To each his/her own, though.

• chicagoans
    4 years ago

I've posted this before, but I will again because I think it's a great way to combine storage with privacy for the loo. Maybe your linen storage could be a pullout that doubles as a partial wall (or even full wall?) to hide the toilet in the master bath.

• partim
    4 years ago

The original post said "Private toilet area important." Although there are different opinions on this, a plan without it is unlikely to be chosen by the OP. And although resale should not be the primary consideration, in a master suite this size many future buyers would expect it. There is definitely room for it, without giving up anything else that the OP has asked for.

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

Chicagoans, I agree that the pony-wall layouts you're showing are the best of all possibilities: Visual privacy, yet natural light, greater comfort, and an easier-to-clean space.

I have a similar set-up in my master bath, and I like it very much.

My hall bathroom has the same thing ... but a full-height wall. I wish I had a pony wall in that spot because it would allow natural light to flow through into the long/dark bathroom ... and because the pony wall allows for a candle or flowers.

I wish my set-up included some storage.