Great we now have "Trump Lite"

ubro(2a)

Today's announcements by Andrew Scheer are concerning. He is following Trump's example of pulling Canada away from the rest of the world and abdicating our responsibility to the poorer countries. He references us giving aide to China, and richer countries which we do not, nor do we give aide to corrupt regimes we give it to the people under the thumbs of those regimes.

The following bolding is mine:

Scheer also repeated his previous vow to de-politicize military procurement even as he promised to order a second interim naval support ship from Quebec shipyard Chantier Davie, which the navy has said it does not need.

The Conservatives, if elected, have said they would move Canada's embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, provide weapons to Ukraine and ask the United States about joining its ballistic-missile defence program.

They would also re-open an office of religious freedom set up by former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper and later closed by Liberal government.

Scheer kicked off his remarks by criticizing Trudeau for not agreeing to participate in the debate.

He accused the Liberal leader of having failed Canadians on the world stage through his disastrous trip to India, negotiation of "one-sided trade deals" and treatment of veterans.

The promised cuts that Scheer announced Tuesday would include ending all funding to a United Nations' organization that supports Palestinian refugees in the Middle East, which the Conservative leader accused of being openly anti-Semitic and having helped the Hamas terrorist group.

The United Nations' Relief and Works Agency, or UNRWA, which saw its funding from Canada previously cut by the Harper Conservatives before it was re-instated by the Trudeau Liberals, has denied being anti-Semitic or supportive of Hamas.

Scheer also blasted the Liberals for directing Canadian aid dollars to Iran, North Korea and Russia.

Canada is providing money to a number of programs run by the World Health Organization and other international groups in those countries that include efforts to stop tuberculosis, strengthen the rule of law and provide loans to help women start small businesses.

"At a time when Canadians are working harder than ever and not getting ahead, Trudeau is using their hard-earned tax dollars to support anti-Semitic organizations and prop up foreign dictatorships," Scheer said.

"It is time for Canada to put our money where our mouth is and only use foreign aid to support the Canadian values we hold dear."

Scheer also said he would redirect $700 million from what he described as middle- to upper-income countries -- such as Mexico, China, Brazil and Turkey -- to nations that need it the most, with a focus on support for children in conflict zones.

The Canadian Council for International Co-operation, an umbrella group that represents many Canadian development groups, expressed concerned following Scheer's announcement, saying what is needed is not cuts to Canadian foreign aid but more of it.

While the rich countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, of which Canada is a member, have agreed to spent 0.7 per cent of gross national income on aid, Canada currently spends only 0.28 per cent.

"International development and humanitarian assistance are important parts of Canada's global leadership that contribute to visible impacts," the CCIC said in a statement.

"For example, South Korea went from a major aid recipient to an important trading partner for Canada and the world. In as little as 25 years, Rwanda, after suffering a vicious genocide, has gone from crisis to develop into a model of economic development for many on the African continent."

Scheer was asked at one point whether he was concerned his cuts to foreign aid would affect Canada's bid for a seat on the UN Security Council, especially given that Ireland and Norway, which are also seeking seats at the same time, are spending much more.

The Conservative leader said he was confident that Canada's allies would recognize its strong role in the world before suggesting the seat wasn't his top priority.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/scheer-would-cut-foreign-aid-by-25-per-cent-re-invest-savings-in-tax-cuts-1.4618425

SaveComment213Like1
Comments (213)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxsol

“Rudyard Griffiths, chair of the Munk Debates, said no one had a bigger impact on Canada’s foreign policy over the last four years than Trudeau.

“Regrettably, the prime minister’s refusal to attend our debate has denied Canadians the only real opportunity they had this election to see his foreign policy record challenged in a substantive and sustained fashion,” Griffiths wrote in a statement.“

I wish Trudeau had agreed to attend the Munk Debate.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Scheer has said he would cut foreign aid spending by 25 percent.

He has promised to redirect $700 million toward for the poorest countries, focussing on children in conflict zones. His guideline will be the Human Development Index/United Nations.

His announcement today would not affect groups receiving aid to provide abortion and maternal health services to women and girls abroad.

Save    
chase_gw

That's what he says.......don't trust him one bit.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

The liberal policies in place speak for the liberal stand on these issues, no need for a debate unless it would be to shine a light on this type of thinking. At any of the other debates these questions can and should be brought up.

This one blind sided me, I never thought that the conservatives would use withholding aide to poorer nations to justify personal gain for individual Canadians. Moving the embassy is another concern.

I think Scheer is Trump lite, I think he has a similar agenda, he is just more Canadian and is doing it in a more polite way.

Save    
roxsol

Chase, why don't you trust him?

Save    
ubro(2a)

He has promised to redirect $700 million toward for the poorest countries, focussing on children in conflict zones. His guideline will be the Human Development Index/United Nations.

The $700 million is already going to the poorest countries. His idea of not giving aide to corrupt regimes denies aide to the very poorest countries that need this aide.

His Canada First will resonate with the Conservative voter, and that is why he is fudging the facts.

Save    
roxsol

The liberal policies in place speak for the liberal stand on these issues, no need for a debate unless it would be to shine a light on this type of thinking. At any of the other debates these questions can and should be brought up.

ubro, I have read that Trudeau will only participate in two out of five election debates, both of which will be chaired by the Leader's Debates Commission.

I have always thought that Trudeau was a pretty upstanding guy and that he stood behind what he said. The SNC-Lavalin affair has made me think otherwise.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Ubro, I think it is a little unfair to equate Scheer with Trump. That's a pretty low blow.

I also don't agree with "Canada First" resonating with the Conservative voter. If anything, getting Canada's deficit under control is what resonates. Trudeau doesn't seem to be headed in that direction.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Frankly IMO 5 is 3 too many, one in English and one in French other than that it is all just hot air. The candidates are on the air 24/7 if you wish to watch, the issues are debated on the news channels all the time so information is not hard to get.

I am not saying Trudeau is upstanding, I am saying Scheer is not either, he is just hiding it.

I have made the decision that am not voting for the leaders in this election, I am voting on party policy. Abortion rights ( which Scheer does not support), Climate change, Aboriginal rights, and now foreign aide, as well as a few others.

My vote will be strategic and if that means I hold my nose and vote Liberal just so Scheer won't get in, well unless the Conservatives show me that they are not drifting further and further right to a Trump style of politics I guess I will.

Save    
roxsol

ubro, how do you know what Scheer is hiding?

Save    
Ann

Interesting OP.

The missile defense topic kind of caught my eye. I think that's smart as Canada is certainly behind many countries in this category.

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

Scheer was the only leader who did not march in the Climate change parades on Friday. Sometimes appearances do count.

I seldom vote Conservative and I will definitely not be doing so this election. The candidate running in my riding couldn't even get herself elected to school board, she won't be getting in as MP. One part of my riding is Liberal and the other part is NDP. It will be interesting.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Ubro, I think it is a little unfair to equate Scheer with Trump. That's a pretty low blow.

I disagree, they are drifting and drifting right, and frankly this last announcement makes me angry. His non answer, twice, on whether he would defund woman's reproductive rights and her right to an abortion just like Harper did was the first straw.

Partly it is his stand against the Palestinians- following Trump's lead to move the embassy. His view that we need to put more money in the pockets of Canadians at the expense of the poorer countries . Those over there are taking our money that should be used on Canadians here, sound familiar?

The money going to richer countries does not go to the country for eg. Italy. It goes to those UN delegated groups based in those countries adminestering aide to the thousands of refugees that have had to flee to those countries. It is very disingenuous for him to float the idea that the aide is actually going to these richer countries directly.

Save    
Ann

Crazy amount of news here in the US, but also an interesting month outside the US. I'm especially interested in the outcome of Canada's election and the Brexit deadline at the end of the month.

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The money going to richer countries does not go to the country for eg. Italy. It goes to those UN delegated groups based in those countries

Here's one example for Italy which hosts one of the UN peacekeeping centers https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/how-we-are-funded:

"The approved budget for UN Peacekeeping operations for the fiscal year 1 July 2019 - 30 June 2020 is $6.5 billion. (A/C.5/73/21)

This amount finances 12 of the 14 United Nations peacekeeping missions, supports logistics for the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), and provides support, technology and logistics to all peace operations through global service centres in Brindisi (Italy) and a regional service centre in Entebbe (Uganda). The remaining two peacekeeping missions, the UN Truce Supervision Organisation (UNTSO) and the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP), are financed through the UN regular budget.

By way of comparison, this is less than half of one per cent of world military expenditures (estimated at $1,747 billion in 2013)."

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

"Ubro, I think it is a little unfair to equate Scheer with Trump. That's a pretty low blow."

He is certainly carrying the Harper torch. As a Canadian...just as low.

Save    
Ann

I'm surprised at this change in tune for Canadians. While I don't see tremendous support for Trudeau, I do see what appears to be unreasonable criticism toward Scheer. Apparently from reading the comments on this thread, there is growing partisanship in Canada and a feeling (among some/many Canadians) that there is quite a bit more than small differences between candidate positions.

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

Most Canadians weren't too happy with Harper. He was voted out more than Trudeau was voted in. Scheer is very much aligned with Harper. A bad sign.

I am glad we have two more parties to vote for.

1 Like Save    
Save    
tryingtounderstand

Definitely not happy with Scheer nor Trudeau. The only thing I support with Trudeau are his gun control policies. Scheer, is definetly not Trump, at least I personality. Both parties agree on many issues facing Canadians. Both parties want to put money back into Canadian hands. They just have a different way of doing it.

In essence, the Liberal and Conservative platforms are virtually interchangeable; they hardly lay out the framework for dramatically different Canadas. Your choice is between tax cuts or tax cuts, a weak or weaker climate plan, interest-free loans or tax credits, and maybe drug coverage, depending on the details, if this promise doesn't go the way of electoral reform.

That's why so much of the war room-generated focus is on the leaders themselves: Justin Trudeau as two-faced and unethical, and Andrew Scheer as the right-wing lovechild of Doug Ford and Stephen Harper.

Indeed, success for the Liberals will mean convincing voters that Scheer will implement harsh austerity measures, new abortion regulations and that Canada is one bad prime minister away from a U.S.-style gun crisis.

For the Conservatives, it will mean persuading voters that Trudeau is lawless and privileged, and that he will bankrupt Canada with his excessive spending. It has nothing to do with policy, and everything to do with personality.

It's a crummy way to decide an election, but perhaps the only way when the biggest difference between the platforms is their colours.

5 Likes Save    
roxsol

TTU, double like.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

From Foreign Policy Magazine:

By now, most readers will have seen the picture of a turbaned Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in brownface hamming it up with a group of women at a 2001 party in Vancouver. The old yearbook photo, first reported by Time on Sept. 18, immediately damaged the Canadian prime minister’s personal brand, which had always been based in large part on his bona fides as an enthusiastic advocate of progressive identity politics. Then, in the days that followed, two more images of Trudeau in blackface were publicized, including one of the Liberal Party prime minister singing Harry Belafonte’s song Day-O at a high school revue. The other is a 1990s-era video of Trudeau with his whitewater rafting buddies, in which the future prime minister is seen jumping around with an Afro wig, black face and body paint, and ripped pants. It caused some to ask whether the prime minister intended to present himself as Jim the slave from the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. (Another person in the video is seen wearing a Huck Finn-style hat.). There may be more images on the way, too, because the same prime minister who once lectured the world on toxic masculinity now says he cannot recall exactly how many times he wore blackface.

With Canada’s Oct. 21 federal election just weeks away, the timing of this scandal would appear fortuitous for opposition parties. Yet the latest polling numbers are almost completely unchanged since mid-September. In part, this is because ordinary Canadians simply don’t share the fixation on bygone thoughtcrimes that increasingly consumes the intellectual class in the United States and other Western countries. But it also might be a case of character-assassination overload: The current election campaign has witnessed so many scandals of this type that voters can’t keep up. The left’s effort to presentAndrew Scheer’s Conservatives as racists in the vein of the so-called alt-right, in particular, has been fueled by a stream of years-old screenshots and social media posts. The left-of-Liberal New Democratic Party likewise has been pressured to drop one of its candidates, who can be seen in a 2016 video affixing BDS (boycott, divestment, and sanctions) labels to Israeli-sourced merchandise on a store shelf. And in an especially bizarre gotcha moment, the Greens were caught photoshopping a picture of their own leader, Elizabeth May, holding a disposable cup, replacing the offending item with a reusable mug and a metal straw. (They then lied about it when they were caught.)

All in all, this is shaping up to be the most intellectually vacuous election campaign in Canadian history—a steady stream of pops and buzzes that seem primarily geared toward harvesting likes on social media. In the days following the emergence of the Trudeau photos, a manic Liberal war room announced a flurry of strange one-off gambits—including a pledge to give $2,000 travel bursaries to Canadian families who go camping and a one-sentence pledge to “plant 2 billion trees.” Scheer is being targeted for possibly exaggerating his bona fides as a properly accredited insurance broker under the Saskatchewan Insurance Act, which has the makings of a scandal so boring that it sounds like something invented by foreign comedians doing their usual riff on Canadian boringness. Meanwhile, New Democratic Party leader Jagmeet Singh says his plan for dealing with Donald Trump is to simply hope the U.S. president gets impeached—a ludicrous statement coming from a man who claims he wants to be prime minister of the United States’ biggest trading partner. This is what now passes for serious campaigning in the Great White North.

But U.S. readers who dismiss all of the drama as bemusing low-stakes political farce should think again. What is happening in Canada doesn’t just present a sendup of the country’s (admittedly hilarious) parochialism. It also reveals what happens when countries run low on big things to argue about. Instead of political life simmering down into calm and rational discussion over the few remaining issues, the opposite happens: Politicians’ and pundits’ tribal instincts are channeled into invented scandals and symbolic issues with little connection to voters’ lived reality. What’s worse, because these social media-fueled controversies are aimed at smearing opponents’ ideological souls rather than their policy judgment, they tend to be even more hysterical and polarized than the substantive debates from times of yore.What is happening in Canada doesn’t just present a sendup of the country’s (admittedly hilarious) parochialism. It also reveals what happens when countries run low on big things to argue about.

Just a few decades ago, Canada was riven by a set of fundamentally important policy issues that went to the heart of its national identity: Quebec separatism, free trade with the United States, the future of its socialized health system, same-sex marriage, abortion, capital punishment, and the (now) $70 billion system of transfer payments that make up the fiscal backbone of the country’s confederated political system. Every single one of these issues has now been settled or lies dormant. In 2016, more than 80 percent of Quebecers said they think Quebec should stay in Canada. All major political parties support free trade. Conservatives have acquiesced to progressive victories in every sphere of the culture war. There do remain points of substantive disagreement between the parties on global-warming abatement and pipeline construction. But even on immigration, an issue tearing at the political fabric of numerous other Western countries, there is broad support for the current high levels of intake—with the only outlier being Maxime Bernier’s newly formed People’s Party of Canada, which seeks to limit immigration and is now polling at about 3 percent.

On one hand, this is a blessing for Canadians. Whoever wins the election—the only realistic possibilities being Trudeau and Scheer—will continue in the tradition of centrist Canadian governance, with perhaps a few symbolic tweaks to appease supporters. On the other hand, the prize they’re fighting for has been cheapened by the coarse and clownish nature of the current campaign. Trudeau, in particular, is now seen as something of a sanctimonious fraud, even by some of his young supporters, despite the fact that (as I’ve argued previously) he’s largely “gotten the big issues right.

The venerable controversies of the past—in particular, separatism, free trade, and inter-provincial transfer payments—were divisive and sometimes really did corrode Canadian solidarity. (In the 1995 Quebec referendum, separatists came within just 53,000 votes of breaking Canada apart.) But these issues also conferred structure and discipline on the way the nation did politics. Leaders were careful about what they said, lest they land on the wrong side of long-standing, well-defined regional fault lines. However, that was in the day when most Canadians got their news from print and broadcast sources that presented politics through a regional lens. Canadians are now more likely to get news from Facebook and Twitter, which serve up daily politics as just another ingredient in the larger, globalized stew of gossip and outrage. Whereas Canadian politicians once saw their mandate as rooted in geographical ridings, they now spend their days trying to stay on the right side of hashtag fashions that originate in other countries.

This trend has resulted in some distressingly surreal scenes. Earlier this year, for instance, an inquiry into the tragic problem of missing and murdered indigenous women and girls resulted in a report concluding that they the victims of an ongoing genocide taking place on Canadian soil. Although the claim itself was contentious, Trudeau himself acquiesced to the term—marking what surely must be the first instance in modern history of a national leader admitting that he has presided over the genocide of his country’s own inhabitants. But then, once that admission was made, nothing happened. One might think that an ongoing genocide within Canadian borders might be treated as a more important election issue than, say, camping subsidies or the Saskatchewan Insurance Act. But neither Trudeau nor any other party leader seems anxious to discuss it. And it has become obvious that the only reason it was discussed in the first place was so that politicians and pundits could score points on social media in the 15 minutes they had before Canadians moved on from genocide to actor and musician Jussie Smollett, intellectual provocateur Jordan Peterson, and Brexit.

Canadian politics once seemed to have resisted the forces of populism ushered in (or reflected by) Trump. But optimism no longer seems warranted. The tone of Canada’s current election campaign suggests the degeneration of political culture being experienced in many parts of the world may have more to do with the impact of social media than with any particular set of issues. It’s a sad and distressing trend that will remain with the country no matter who leads the next Canadian government.

Save    
Save    
ubro(2a)

Canadian politics once seemed to have resisted the forces of populism ushered in (or reflected by) Trump. But optimism no longer seems warranted. The tone of Canada’s current election campaign suggests the degeneration of political culture being experienced in many parts of the world may have more to do with the impact of social media than with any particular set of issues. It’s a sad and distressing trend that will remain with the country no matter who leads the next Canadian government.

It is a sad day for Canadian politics, but I stand by my thoughts that Scheer is Trump lite ( the lite reference is because that I don't think he is as bad, yet).

I do see what appears to be unreasonable criticism toward Scheer.

Unreasonable to yo, because you are a conservative leaning person who actually agrees with a person such as Trump.

I don't think it is unreasonable to disagree with his policies, especially the new 25% drop in aide. He frames that issue with half truths so that he gets his base to believe that they deserve the money because it is being wasted on 'rich' countries, or the undeserving. It pits us against them, it is divisive on the world scale and paints those people as 'other'. That is classic populous politics.

I am with Chase, I don't like Trudeau and I am positively sick that in my area, with the lack of candidates I might have to put my mark for his name, but I don't trust Scheer, there is an evasiveness about him.

Save    
ubro(2a)

This issue concerns me as I guess some can tell but have a look at this link on the way Canada uses it's aide dollars.

http://bit.ly/BaloneyMeterOct2

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Smug, arrogant liberals give birth to this kind of populism. The problem is exploited and exploded by media and foreign actors who have their own respective agendas- making money and diminishing the West.

How I miss the sensible liberalism of Bill Clinton. I certainly did not agree with all of his policies, but he was able to steer us toward toward leading the globalized economy without alienating wide swaths of the electorate ... and yet, President Bubba was Bill Clinton, with his own special brand of entitled arrogance.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

As a Canadian, when I think of the amount of goodwill Trudeau squandered, it's staggering. He could have used his mandate and special circumstances for so much good at home and on the world stage.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

I don't think it is unreasonable to disagree with his policies, especially the new 25% drop in aide. He frames that issue with half truths so that he gets his base to believe that they deserve the money because it is being wasted on 'rich' countries, or the undeserving. It pits us against them, it is divisive on the world scale and paints those people as 'other'. That is classic populous politics.

ubro, I believe most Canadians would check out the validity of Scheer’s claim. I know I did and yes, he was wrong.

Politicians say things all the time that are inaccurate. Remember, the claim by Trudeau that Canada welcomes all refugees into Canada with open arms? That was wrong. It caused a lot of grief for those wanting to leave the USA.

I don’t think Liberals are smug nor do I think Conservatives are greedy. Saying things like that is what causes division.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Politicians say things all the time that are inaccurate. Remember, the claim by Trudeau that Canada welcomes all refugees into Canada with open arms? That was wrong.]

Again we differ, I thought his remarks were spot on and I agreed with him whole heartedly.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I don’t think Liberals are smug nor do I think Conservatives are greedy. Saying things like that is what causes division.

I don't think Conservatives are greedy, I do think the conservative platform does lean more to personal gain over societal need.

What IMO is more concerning and divisive is when politicians start to put forth ideas like this without truthfully representing the facts. When we start to let that slide, without comment we are being complicit in allowing our politicians to lie, or fudge the facts. Has any conservative person actually contacted Scheer on this?

You might have confidence in Canadians but the thread on CBC news does not reflect that they actually will look at the facts. Conservative commenters think the factual report on where our money is going is 'fake news' and are willing to believe Scheer above the facts.

I will say that all political persons can and do blindly follow.

Save    
chase_gw

I don't think Scheer is like Trump, the person. I just worry he will become a very divisive PM . There is just something about him I find evasive and untrustworthy and I definitely worry about his sincerity in keeping abortion talks of the table. I see shades of Harper and , although he is distancing himself from Ford , I think that is just a matter of political expediency..

Trust me , I don't feel any better about Trudeau.

It looks like we may have a Liberal minority and hopefully a GP that is in a positron to form a coalition. I hope both the Liberals and Conservatives told leadership conventions right after the election. They both need to go...and take Ford wth them.

Save    
roxsol

There is just something about him I find evasive ....

Sometimes a gut feeling is the best. I can appreciate that :)

Save    
Ann

Looks like the chances of a Conservative minority is now tied with the chances of a Liberal minority. Both potentials have now surpassed the likelihood of a Liberal majority, which I believe still had the highest probability when I checked a couple days ago.

28%

Probability of the Liberals winning a majority

30%

Probability of the Liberals winning the most seats but not a majority

30%

Probability of the Conservatives winning the most seats but not a majority

10%

Probability of the Conservatives winning a majority

Save    
Ann

That was from the CBC poll I've seen mentioned by Canadians a few times before on HT.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

From the onset, it was always thought that neither party would have a majority. The parties are still within very tight margins, with L being slightly ahead of C. https://www.ctvnews.ca/

in the end, Canadians will just carry on following the elections, regardless of who wins. There will not be any great disruptions, protests or rallies.

If anyone is interested here are the platforms. Of interest, is that each party acknowledges the issue at hand. Though, they may deal with issues somewhat differently, there is still a lot of similarities. As someone said, maybe the only difference is between the colours.

party platforms

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/federal/2019/party-platforms/

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

Ann, if you took all the Canadian political scandals and rolled them into one, it wouldn’t come anywhere near as corrupt as what is currently happening in the White House. Boring can be a blessing.

Gosh, what chaos your country is in. Trump sure has made a mess of things. I hope it all gets sorted out.

It’s hard for anyone to look away.

edited, just because I could:)

2 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Ann, what Trump does in the USA has an impact on Canada. Hence our interest in southern politics and our strong desire to comment. For instance, His stance on the environment impacts the soil we live on and our shared waterways. If he is reckless with our foes, the consequences will be felt by your northern neighbours. On the other hand, most Canadians, don’t care what he does with the Supreme Court.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

in the end, Canadians will just carry on following the elections, regardless of who wins. There will not be any great disruptions, protests or rallies.

So true

Say your piece, vehemently support your candidate and your beliefs if you like. All the stormy waters will calm to a ripple and life will go on no matter which candidate wins. If important issues come up, they will come up and we will then protest, march if need be, but that can be in the cards no matter who is elected, it will depend on the issues of the day.

Impeach him and find out just how angry 63 million voters can be when you take away their vote.

And for the record, I would never, ever, threaten other Canadians with a comment such as this for any leader. My kids and grandkids are not dying for some bozo in charge so he can stay in power. Boot him out, find someone new and move on. He is not a God, he is a man with a job who is easily replaced.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

HU9999, it’s all good:)

There’s really no reason for an American to closely follow our politics, unless they have a true interest, or they themselves are bored. LOL

This forum is open to all.

I’m just happy our election campaigns are relatively short and usually boring. Our politics are boring but we’re not. I find most of my friends and family to be a real hoot.

eta This is in reference to a post that has now disappeared :(

4 Likes Save    
Ann

"Boot him out, find someone new and move on. He is not a God, he is a man with a job who is easily replaced. "

He is just a man trying to do the job he was elected to do. The way to "Boot him out" is to beat him in an election and there happens to be one in the not too distant future. Dems are just panicked they can't beat him the real way, so they're trying to scramble for political points. But, that can sadly represent a big backfire as history has shown us.

Save    
Andie

Dems are just panicked they can't beat him the real way, so they're trying to scramble for political points.

Party over country, huh Ann?

3 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

I often wonder if Trump and Melania will remain married after the presidency is done, be it 2020 or 2024. I often wonder, what folks will say about the man himself, will he still be lauded as he is now? I often wonder if an awesome new Republican becomes a beloved president, how will Trump be viewed? Or Compared? Will folk see Trump as a victim forever persecuted by Democrats and media? So many questions...

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Lol, TTU....so many questions.

My husband does not follow politics at all. Last night when we were watching the news, his only question was “If Trump gets tossed into the slammer, will he still get Secret Service protection like all former USA presidents?” Lol. I told him that I had no idea.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

TTU, I'll give my guesses to your questions.

I definitely think Trump and Melania will remain married. I would guess they've grown closer through this experience. I'll bet each has gained tremendous additional respect for each other through these years in the White House, as I think they are both doing a great job in their roles (against fierce opposition).

I think he will be remembered as a president who was extremely forthcoming, very rough around the edges, tougher than potentially any of his predecessors, funny, a showman, a fighter, someone who owned the news, unique, a big presence, and extremely memorable. He'll be talked about for years to come IMO. Just like now, I think he'll be remembered as one on the most supported/loved (and desperately needed at the time) presidents by half and the most hated president by the other half.

I think the Democrats and media will have a historically huge place in the story of the Trump presidency.

Save    
ubro(2a)

He is just a man trying to do the job he was elected to do. The way to "Boot him out" is to beat him in an election and there happens to be one in the not too distant future

Nixon and Bill Clinton were just trying to do their job as well and look where that landed them.

There is a mechanism in place to boot a corrupt leader, you cannot possibly think that a country should put up with corruption and have to wait for an election to fix the problem? A corrupt leader can and does move a govt. into dictatorship and then the people have no say.

The Impeachment process has a reason, a very good reason.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

I'll bet each has gained tremendous additional respect for each other through these years .....

Well, I certainly hope President Trump has gained at least some respect for his wife and the mother of his youngest son.

Messing around on her with another woman shows zero respect:(

Any respect, never mind additional respect would be a plus.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

I see that the Libertarian candidate in my riding just withdrew from the race.

And we just had a Green Party candidate join.

She’s based in Moncton...4500 km away! She’s not going to attend any of the local debates nor go door to door.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I wish we had some sort of level playing field. Our Green withdrew, our NDP is so far away, and both our Conservative and Liberal candidates have never once come to our area. Frankly our Conservative rep has been in for 8 years and I would only recognize him if he stood in front of a blue sign wearing a pasted on smile.

They are all missing in action as far as I am concerned, leaving us twisting in the wind.

Am I allowed to vote for my Dog? everyone loves Golden Retrievers.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Sorry...Yellow Labs rule

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

See, Andrew Scheer does have some redeeming qualities. :)

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

And now Andy is being chastised for not disclosing he is a Canadian-American And is in process of renouncing his USA citizenship. Hey, maybe Americans would have had him as their president.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Oh my, what a lovely family ;D

The man even has dimples and a puppy!

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"A corrupt leader can and does move a govt. into dictatorship and then the people have no say.

The Impeachment process has a reason, a very good reason."

Is a potential dictatorship the reason for this impeachment? Hmmm, if so, better let Nancy know that's what the basis should be.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

That is a great family picture!

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Lol Elvis. I actually love his dimples. I'm wondering if great dimples will potentially replace tropical socks.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Oh my, what a lovely family ;D

The man even has dimples and a puppy!

Yup elvis, that knocks the socks off of the competition any day, in my book.lol

1 Like Save    
roxsol

TTU, Scheer has given up his American passport and in the process of giving up his American citizenship.

edited

Save    
roxsol

Gosh, things must be slow in the USA this evening.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

AnnT, no one, anywhere, is as dishonest as Donald Trump.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

The conservative candidate in a Lower Mainland riding (next to Vancouver) was fired today for comments made about Gays. It's too late to nominate anyone else but the conservatives weren't going to win that riding anyway.

And I'm a cat person, Scheer can adopt every pet across the country and still won't get my vote.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

They did the right thing firing that candidate. Her comments were totally unacceptable.

I didn’t think Scheer adopting a dog would change anyone’s vote, it certainly shouldn’t, but Ray sure is a cute little pup.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Too funny, now we have Scheer not disclosing his USA citizenship and being described as dishonest and unapologetic. Of course we have Trudeau and his deceptions for which he apologized. So, the guy who apologizes the most wins?

Or how about the guy with the cutest pet?. Personally, I prefer aussies, even better, rescues. HeHe...gotta love Canadian politics as boring as they are.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Gosh, things must be slow in the USA this evening."

Yeah, they are a bit, IMO.

Save    
roxsol

Lol, Ann!

We’ll always be here to pull up the slack for you. We have stories of turbans, and photoshopped plastic drinking straws, and candidates flying not one but two campaign planes, and dual citizenships and......

eta USA seems to be stuck on one story lately :(

2 Likes Save    
elvis

So, the guy who apologizes the most wins?

Apparently so, in some circles. As with most matters of opinion, this depends on mob mood.

Save    
olliesmom

Finally! The kids get a puppy!

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Well, Trudeau’s kids ought to get 2 rescues... up the ante for the win lol!

for anyone keeping tract Trudeau is ahead of Scheer https://www.ctvnews.ca/

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"eta USA seems to be stuck on one story lately :("

That's for sure!

1 Like Save    
roxsol
2 Likes Save    
blfenton

Ever since the 2016 US election I no longer read or pay attention to polls.

1 Like Save    
HU9999

The way to "Boot him out" is to beat him in an election

Someone needs to brush up on the Constitution. It's kinda an important document.

1 Like Save    
HU9999

This is in reference to a post that has now disappeared :(

I guess some just can't face the truth. Must make it disappear.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Too funny, now we have Scheer not disclosing his USA citizenship and being described as dishonest and unapologetic. Of course we have Trudeau and his deceptions for which he apologized. So, the guy who apologizes the most wins?

No, but the guy who did not disclose his US citizenship is a liar as well. He does not get a pass just because Trudeau was one too. This is the same argument Trump supporters use to justify his lies. For me it is important that they show some remorse and some shame for not being truthful. It shows that they acknowledge their actions have offended some Canadians. Non apology is an example of pompous entitlement IMO.

Scheer is down wallowing in the mud with the rest so the choice for PM seems to be on a level playing field, liar 1 or liar 2.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Not me, I'm gong for door number three.

I value honesty and integrity in a leader and I think May has both.

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

For Scheer to get as far in politics as to be running as the leader of one of the major parties without having ever mentioned that he’s an American too is really disturbing.

I don’t care that he holds/held dual citizenship. As long as that’s not against Canada’s Charter it makes no difference in my opinion. As Canadian birth rates drop and immigration increases I think many if not most of the population will have this background.

But never to have even brought it up? Difficult unless the deception was deliberate. My citizenship comes up at least once a year on whatever boards I’m sitting on at the time.

Rightly or wrongly, I can only conclude that he deliberately kept it quiet for his own gain and that doesn’t sit well with me.

1 Like Save    

chase_gw

9 minutes ago

I value honesty and integrity in a leader and I think May has both.

(Bears repeating with emphasis but then I’ve been on May’s bandwagon for years!)

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Wait !

Isn't there a plastic-drinking-cup scandal swirling around May ???

[If only our US political scandals revolved around a drinking cup - maybe some day we'll be so lucky. ]

3 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Liar 1 or Liar 2, unfortunately will be our next PM. At this point Liar Trudeau is a known factor. Perhaps safer to deal with the devil you know than the one you don’t. Definitely feel Scheer may have hidden agendas which are not readily evident. I also don’t buy Scheer’s statement ‘I was never asked’ Sheesh, who is he trying to kid! That he has dual citizenship makes no difference, but why hide it?

Just wish May could be the leader of one of the above parties, though I’m leaning toward voting for her.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I don't have a door number 3 rep. but maybe I need to consider door number 4 but they don't even have a sign let alone a platform or presence.

Save    

Yeah “I was never asked” doesn’t cut mustard.

First of all, he’s white. White people are not asked “so are you a dual citizen” or “so where are you really from?” Particularly white people with a Canadian accent.

Second of all, not being asked does not mean you don’t tell. For example, when signing authority on a business or NPO account comes up you say “if I have signing authority the IRS can look at the finances of everyone else on the account too” because that it the ethical thing to do.

Third of all, when the government of which your party is the head makes acts like the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act you stand up, put on your big boy pants, and say “here is how this act might affect naturalized citizens and dual citizens such as myself. I don’t think it is right to create a second class of citizens.”

Save    
ubro(2a)

4th as a joint Canadian US citizen he had to file US tax returns every year, so this is not a case of simply forgetting. He should have seen this as a potential problem, he should have dealt with this 2 years ago as leader of the opposition.

I don't know the rules but can one avoid paying some Canadian taxes by claiming the income or interest accrued on investments in the US instead?

Save    
roxsol

I guess they are all honest until they’re not.

I think there is something shady about them all.

My vote will be for Andrew Scheer.

I am opposed to the carbon tax. Conservatives are proposing to tax heavy emitters and require them to invest in clean technology/research. I believe we all have the same goal but with different methods of achieving it.

Andrew Scheer has promised to cancel at least 1.5 billion dollars in corporate subsidies. I like that.

He’s promised to boost contribution amounts to RESP’s.

I’m trusting he will follow through.

Save    
blfenton

I can't wait for the leaders to figure out how much all these promises are going to cost and see which ones will fall by the wayside.

The contribution amt that he is boosting is, I believe, the governments amt, increasing it from 20% to 30% so if you make the max contribution of $2500 the government will increase their contribution from $500 to $750.

Save    
roxsol

This is their proposal:

• A couple who begins contributing $25 a month to an RESP right after their child’s birth will receive $1,620 by age 18. That’s $540 more than they would receive currently.
  • Another couple that is able to invest $50 a month will receive $3,240 in government contributions by age 18. That’s $1,080 more than they would receive currently.
  • Low-income parents will receive 50 per cent on the first $500 they invest every year. Today, they only receive 40 per cent.

Save    
roxsol

Now here is something I like.

Elizabeth May is proposing a plan for Indigenous communities to opt out of the Indian Act.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Hmmm, but RESP's are for people who actually have money. I see it as actually a handout for the wealthy, along with TFSA's

Save    
blfenton

Oh I know the math. The increase is happening because the government is increasing their percentage contribution and that's going to cost you and me at some point along the way. The actual contribution of parents/grandparents is not increasing.

We maxed out every year because not only do we have enough money but the grandparents were financially able to contribute as well.

Save    
roxsol

ubro, a wealthy Canadian is still a Canadian. A government needs to work for every citizen.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I would rather the govt. some how controlled the cost of tuition. This would allow everyone to take advantage of a higher education.

Save    
ubro(2a)

ubro, a wealthy Canadian is still a Canadian. A government needs to work for every citizen.

Yes, but the poor and lower middle income do not get the same advantages under a Scheer govt. A wealthy Canadian has many ways to increase their wealth in our current tax system, they don't need the tax dollar directly.

ETA

• Low-income parents will receive 50 per cent on the first $500 they invest every year. Today, they only receive 40 per cent.

We were low middle income and we didn't have $100/ year let alone $500/year to invest. What planet does this man live on that he thinks low income families can invest that type of cash. Well I guess it is a good policy for him to increase this to 50%, not too many low income people will be able to pony up and ask for the money anyway.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

The RESP is a great plan but to Ubro' s point , only for those who can take advantage of it. I don't mean "advantage" as a pejorative term , we contribute each year as part of our Christmas gifts to the grandkids, but many simply can't.

I would much rather see a commitment to increase grants and low cost loans to kids from less advantaged families.

Save    
roxsol

For those who can, it is a great incentive to save. Nothing wrong with that. Not every government program works for everyone.

Save    
chase_gw

True, but this one works well enough. I see no reason to embellish it at this point. Mind you making my manicures and pedicures tax deductible.....that works ; )

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

I see it as actually a handout for the wealthy, along with TFSA's

Both my husband and I, and my daughter and her partner have TFSA’s and we are far from wealthy.

Save    
chase_gw

TFSA' s are great!!!! I worry they will figure out how great they are and cancel them or modify them. We have them, as do both our kids and spouses.....to the max.

Wish they had been around when we were young, would have done that instead of RRSP' s.

Save    
roxsol

Same here, Chase. Ours are to the max as well :)

(Whew, I don't feel so bad anymore.)

eta I've only ever had one manicure in my entire life but if they become tax deductible, that may change.

Save    
ubro(2a)

roxsol, I did not mean to sound insulting, I was short and direct and did not explain my thought process.

The reason I say IMO they are 'handouts' is partly in reaction to the idea that the poor, welfare recipients and the native population are somehow getting 'handouts' from the govt. and the wealthier people are not.

We are, we are just getting it through programs such as the RESP, TSFA, RRSP's as well as other advantages in our tax system. Somehow, these monies are not seen as a govt. handout. IMO lowering my tax with an RRSP allows me to pay less taxes (money directly in my pocket ergo a 'handout' ). The burden to pick up the resulting decrease falls onto all other citizens, therefore they pay more, for my ability to pay less.

I don't think these programs are wrong, I think those that can, should take advantage of them, and I don't begrudge them one penny. My opposition is to the perception that we as wealthier citizens do not gain an economic advantage or receive govt. money (handouts) just because we don't get a check in the mail.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

ubro, I didn’t think you were insulting at all. You were just stating what you thought.

I know anything I get from the government has been paid for by taxpayers. I have never once thought any citizen, rich, poor or anything in between gets handouts from the government. I believe government programs are there for a reason. Some are better than others. I like incentives to promote savings, I like that we all get healthcare. I like that Canada takes in people from other places that are fleeing a bad situation...I believe that ones situation in life can be determined by luck. Many work extremely hard their entire lives and through misfortunes never get ahead. Life can be unfair.

I don’t begrudge paying my taxes at all. I want to help others get ahead. I consider myself lucky that I’m in a position to have to pay taxes. And, I will take any “handout” the government makes available to me.

My parents and older sister, immigrated to Canada in the late 50’s. My mother was still in her teens, my father his early 20’s. They didn’t have a pot to p*ss in when they got here.

My father was one of the most generous, charitable men I have ever known. He instilled in all of his children to do their best, work hard and never ever think you are above anyone. He also never apologized for making money.

Anyhow, I just want to add that I think comparing Donald Trump to just any right leaning politician is over the top. It normalizes Donald Trump. ( I do know there are some out there, though.) I know many Canadians did not like Stephen Harper and don’t like Andrew Scheer. I get it. But look at Canada now. We are still standing, we are still here.

Harper never came close to doing the damage to Canada that Trump has done to the USA.

I’ve said it before, I think we will have a Liberal minority government. Even if it’s a Conservative minority, the NDP and Greens will still give their support to the Liberals.

I know we’ll be fine.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

^^^^^ careful, you sound quite socialistic and we know how well a socialist is liked in some quarters. LOL

This is what I like about Canadian politics so far, we are not that different when we start to defend our social programs, we all think they can and should be reworked periodically to keep up with the times.

I think we will have a Conservative minority. I like a minority it makes them find common ground. I wish the Libs and Cons could work together, then we would have some great things happen. The best of both worlds.

My father was one of the most generous, charitable men I have ever known. He instilled in all of his children to do their best, work hard and never ever think you are above anyone. He also never apologized for making money.

Aren't dads the best!!!!!!

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

You betcha, ubro! I’m so glad my dad chose Canada to raise his family. And thank you Canada for letting him.

I’m really enjoying this thread. Thanks for posting it:)

1 Like Save    
whynottryit

https://www.bandt.com.au/media/filthy-piece-toe-rag-pensioners-response-boris-johnson-sends-internet-meltdown

Unsurprisingly, the British prime minister and chief EU exiter, Boris Johnson, is hardly popular amongst his constituents at the moment.

And that was definitely on show when UK’s Sky News took to Johnson’s own electorate of Uxbridge in West London to gauge the mood of the voters.

The reporter hijacked one particular lady in Uxbridge’s main street and ask her opinion of the incumbent PM. To which the woman responds, “Do not mention that name in front of me, that filthy piece of toe rag” before storming off. Check out the calculated assassination below:

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

" dads are the best !!!!!!"

Maybe some Dads but I think Moms are the bestest . I recall when I was young and the NDP were just emerging my Mom was seriously pro NDP. My Dad a staunch Conservative.

MY dad had a Conservative sign on the lawn. After he left for work in the morning Mom would go out and switch the sign for an NDP sign, switching it back before he got home. Some may think that was cowardly......I lived in that house........it was brave

1 Like Save    

I caught Jagmeet Singh’s Ask Me Anything on Cross Country Checkup this afternoon. He impressed me quite favourably.

Elizabeth May's instalment of the same show was last week.

Next week they are hoping either Trudeau or Scheer can make the time. I hope so too.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Chase, any reason they didn't just agree to disagree and each put up their favored signs, leaving both up? Why was her sign more brave than his?

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Though I do love and support many of our social programs, they are becoming unsustainable. I hate to bring up healthcare as an example. But there are so many abuses in the system. I have talked previously about needless ambulance calls, folks not wanting to leave hosp until they find a place of their choosing as examples. We are a very generous country when it comes to health care. We provide homecare as well, another free service for those who are ill. It amazes me that people expect “service” and complain when services are not readily availablE.

It is only after living in the USA, that I have come to realize we are beyond lucky, we should never ever complain about the lack of ,”service”. Oh and how we do whine and complain..”: FIL complains about having to lay for parking while he gets his free radiation treatment. I hate that people just take everything for granted, expect more and more.

Canada, needs to come up with creative ways to address our programs. One suggestion could be the use of “para” professionals. Such as nurse practitioners, physician assistants, more use of home care as opposed to hospital stays. And I’m not opposed to some type of “fee” if it helps in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I am proud to live in Canada, and it bothers me when people just demand, expect and complain when services are not readily available or to their liking. To these folks, i say, try living in the USA, then you will never ever complain and you would eagerly appreciate what you have here in Canada!

ETA, I can never ever support an NDP govt. especially after living south, and now after experiencing what they are doing here in BC.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

I loathe complaint headlines such as these” We are so very very lucky to have these free services. Yet, to complain because the service is nit available or does not do a good jobs is just nit right. We should be thankful we have them, and quit bitchin....

Homecare gaps leave man in soiled diapers and without care, says wife”

An Orléans woman says her husband developed bed sores after homecare workers failed to show up to care for him, leaving him in soiled diapers for 30 hours at a time. When caregivers did show up, they were told by their agency not to move him, so he has remained in his bed for weeks.

Mireille Landry said she has now been advised by the Champlain LHIN (Local Health Integration Network), which is in charge of coordinating home care in the region, to pay for respite care for her husband, who suffers from dementia, until the situation can be sorted out.

“I am tired of this,” said Landry, who said she has spent weeks dealing with a homecare agency and the LHIN because of personal support workers either failing to show up or being unable to move her husband in and out of bed when they did get there. https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/home-care-gaps-leave-man-in-soiled-diapers-and-without-care-says-wife

Save    
chase_gw

Ann, I think the last line of my post explains it, at least it does as much as I care to .

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

TTU, there will always be some level of abuse in any system. While I don't think people should whine about the smaller matters I would be screaming from the roof tops if my elderly relative was treated that way. I think her complaints are well warranted.

1 Like Save    
Ann

TTU, I think by their nature, social programs do invite abuse or attempted abuse. Do you think either of your potential PMs in the election (just the two who have a reasonable chance of being PM), will do more than the other to work to reduce abuse?

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Ann, it’s a systemic issue. Of interest, is a friend of mine who worked for a big USA insurance company. Her area of specialization was ‘fraud’ She talked a lot about fraud, not only from patients, but from providers. In the latter category, she included individual professionals, institutions etc. Yet, These are the folks who are supposed to help, heal and in the process earn a decent living. Go figure!

Save    
chase_gw

Not TTU but if there was significant abuse of the type TTU mentions , and I disagree there is, it would not be a federal issue.

The only abuse that would be handled at a federal level is abuse tied to legal status. Everything eilse is handled at a Provincial level.

1 Like Save    

Ann, I’m going to jump in and answer the question posed to TTU, if that’s ok :)

I think that although there is always going to be some level of fraud in any system, social or private, the levels are so low as to not warrant much attention from federal leaders. I would hate to see that as part of any party’s election platform because it’s simply minuscule in relation to other pressing concerns.

In other words, we would spend more money in rooting out and eliminating fraud than would be saved by finding that fraud. Does that make sense?

Programs should be monitored and evaluated on an ongoing basis and adjustments made when weaknesses are detected. Theoretically that process would be incorporated right into the system but I am not naive, I realize that bureaucracy is cumbersome.

I’m conservative enough to want streamlined, small systems of government with a focus on eliminating redundancies. I don’t think that should mean cutting services.

3 Likes Save    

Lol crossed with chase.

Save    
Cookie8

What's unfortunate there is abuse all around. Those trying to get more. Rich and the poor. People like to take...almost as much as they can, at times, it seems.

Ubro, I really liked your points that you stated further up regarding handouts. In my neighbourhood - it is very much like that. We are getting the benefits that many can not afford to take advantage of and then there are complaints about having to help out with social programs? We should have reality checks about what is what from time to time.

Debates are tonight!!

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Also think it is important to understand that there are always people who will try and " scam" all insurance programmes, health insurance, home insurance, car insurance. It is more to do with the nature of the person than the nature of the system.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Yes debates are tonight !!!

Save    
HU9999

I would hate to see that as part of any party’s election platform because it’s simply minuscule in relation to other pressing concerns.

So refreshing. I assume this is not normally part of your candidates' platforms?

Unfortunately, here in the US, one party is so focused on doing everything they can to hurt the poor/middle class and help the rich, that they focus on the small abuses by the poor instead of the huge systematic abuses by the rich.

Save    
Cookie8

"Unfortunately, here in the US, one party is so focused on doing everything they can to hurt the poor/middle class and help the rich, that they focus on the small abuses by the poor instead of the huge systematic abuses by the rich."

I, personally, really enjoy listening to Jimmy Dore. One of his quotes "If you find yourself being angry at someone lower on the economic ladder than you, chances are your'e being manipulated by someone higher on the economic ladder than you."

5 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Actually , more likely than not , you will see policies in the platforms of ALL parties that protect or help the poor and middle class.

As a total aside , I was surprised to see our advance polling is being held over all three days of Thanksgiving weekend including Thanksgiving Day !

We will be voting Monday so maybe I'll take them a turkey and stuffing sandwich for giving up their T-Day weekend......assuming my family leaves me any!!!

Save    
Cookie8

Yikes, that reminds me. I didn't get my card yet!!! I have to make a call.

Save    
chase_gw

Mine was in the mail last week.

Save    

Well that reminds me that I need to add stuffing to my list!

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"What's unfortunate there is abuse all around. Those trying to get more. Rich and the poor. People like to take...almost as much as they can, at times, it seems."

A lot of truth in this. This is why I'm a big fan of personal responsibility. If I have to use my money to purchase my needs, I am quite dedicated to not doing things I'm unable to afford. If I receive most services from government programs based on taxation, I won't be nearly as directly aware of the "cost" of the services I'm using. But, going further with this point would go further off topic.

Save    
Ann

Cookie, what card?

Save    
chase_gw

" If I receive most services from government programs based on taxation, I won't be nearly as directly aware of the "cost" of the services I'm using."

Ann, I pay premiums for my health services just the same as one pays Medicare premiums. It's not invisible. My point is there are people who try and scam their insurance plans all the time. Tell me Medicare is not subject to abuse.

Save    
roxsol

Chase, mine was in the mail last week, too. We're going on the 11th.

My turkey purchase this year has been a disaster. My husband said to buy a big one, since he loves leftovers. So...being the attentive wife, I bought the biggest one in the freezer section. It is almost 12 kg.

I quickly realized my error. It doesn't fit in my largest roaster. I've had to go out and purchase a larger pan. It has been one expensive turkey :(

I hope my husband enjoys his leftovers.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Roxsol, originally thought you said 12 lbs. which would be a half miler IMO !!! Mine is 11 K but I also have a bone in ham.......better leftovers than empty seconds!!!

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Oh no, Chase...this is a good 25 lbs.

I’ve decided to dry brine rather than wet brine. Boy, are my arms going to get a good workout lifting this sucker.

Everyone, enjoy your Thanksgiving.

2 Likes Save    

roxsol, not to one up you but I have you beat: my Thanksgiving prep requires a brand new chest freezer!

Oh for an emoji, I need “laugh until you cry” right now!!

(and what a lot to be Thankful for, when your freezers are so stuffed with the abundance of the season that you need another—and obtaining it is not a hardship. I’m very grateful for my blessings.)

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Chase, on the scale of social programs, Medicare (and SS) are different from programs like Medicaid, Food Stamps, and other welfare programs (in the way taxes are "gathered" to pay for them), but they are, indeed, a form of a social program and absolutely subject to abuse! As I've repeatedly said, I wish I would have never been required to have large amounts of money, in taxes, taken out of my pay to go toward SS and Medicare, throughout my working years. But, as Canadians are required to pay taxes to go toward social programs, we have fewer of these programs, but some (and I certainly hope we don't keep adding more) that we are required to pay taxes to support. In both countries, most citizens don't likely have the kind of financial resources to forego receiving the services they've been taxed for. But, if citizens in either country were allowed to choose whether to pay the taxes or not and forego using the programs, I bet there would be quite a number of people who would go the independent route.

Save    
chase_gw

Ann, in case Cookie doesn't see your post .

Several weeks before the election a card is mailed to each registered voter that confirms your registration and identifies your polling locations, other voting options etc.

It's not required to present this card when you vote.

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=med&dir=c76/id&document=index&lang=e

Save    
Ann

Looks like an address is important. What do the homeless do?

Save    
chase_gw

Yes , you must be able to provide an address. If you don't have one you can't vote. Probably the last thing in the world a homeless person is worried about.

Save    
roxsol

Ann, briefly.

If a person is staying in a shelter, they can use the address of the shelter as their current address.

For those living on the streets but receiving services from a shelter, soup kitchen or other organization, they can use that address as their current address.

In all of these scenarios, the person still needs documentation proving their identity and current address. If no current address is listed on any acceptable identification, they must either:

1. have someone vouch for their address, or
  2. get a letter of confirmation of residence from a shelter or organization where they stay and/or receive services.
1 Like Save    
Cookie8

Thanks Chase.

And thanks miss lindsey. I have bread ends in my oven that I dried out and forgot about! I am making a turkey tomorrow. We don't really "celebrate" Thanksgiving but I do feel like having turkey so that's tomorrow for us.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Yes any person living in a shelter can use the shelter address as their address.

However , if we are talking about the truly homeless, those living in the streets, I doubt voting is a pressing issue with them.....but if it was , there is help they can seek to help them through the process which is very flexible.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

You betcha, ubro! I’m so glad my dad chose Canada to raise his family. And thank you Canada for letting him.

Yup, thanks Canada for letting both my parents in as well.

I’m conservative enough to want streamlined, small systems of government with a focus on eliminating redundancies. I don’t think that should mean cutting services.

I find govt. is not very good at recognizing how to do that.

We had the Sask. conservative govt. try that a few years ago. My daughter is an RN (home care) nurse. They were told that they now had to time every procedure, every dressing change, how long it took to dispense meds etc. etc. From that info the govt. allotted specific care times for each patient on the rounds. The problem with that was, when you do home care and need to do dressing changes, or meds, often the elderly patient or their caregiver uses that time to ask questions or add other concerns that have arisen since you were last there. Thankfully, after about 3 months they went back to their old practices, it was too hard to leave the patients with unanswered concerns because you had to punch the clock.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Dry brining has been gathering support. (And too often wet brining gets the meat too salty.)

Here really to reshare this - so worthy. (Seems like what really happens via 'trickle down'.)

Tho' it seems he's not Canadian....

Jimmy Dore quotes "If you find yourself being angry at someone lower on the economic ladder than you, chances are you're being manipulated by someone higher on the economic ladder than you."

Save    
HU9999

"If you find yourself being angry at someone lower on the economic ladder than you, chances are your'e being manipulated by someone higher on the economic ladder than you."

That is so perfect! Either that or they're so incredibly arrogant and love to brag about their superiority (in their minds only, of course). Or both.

Save    
Cookie8

I also don't mean to be a wet blanket about holidays. This weekend is my daughter's birthday...not Thanksgiving. Always lands on the same weekend. I also have a New Year's kid - so it's his birthday - not New Years. I hate focusing on both so I choose their birthdays.

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

We have a family Thanksgiving Day birthday too......the weekend my sweet niece came home to us from China ! We always get together at the lake this weekend to celebrate our Thanksgiving of having her in our family as well as all of our many , many families blessings.

As of an hour ago there will be 18 for dinner! The leaves will be at their peak and the weather looks good.

Love, love love the holidays and love better that DH, BIL and SIL do cleanup !

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

Hope everyone has a good long weekend. Chase. Sounds enjoyable.

Happy viewing tonight.

Save    
chase_gw

Yes...should be interesting! Watching May !

Love that this whole thing just takes 6 weeks!!!! I think that is part of the reason we aren't as politically charged as the US, it doesn't consume our life.

Save    
HU9999

Happy Thanksgiving to our Candadian friends!

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

Isn't this interesting, US, RW politics???? For those who don't see Scheer as Trump Lite.

Conservative campaign pulls altered image of Liberal's policy paper, but not until this false message got out there.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/10/07/conservative-campaign-pulls-altered-image-of-liberals-policy-paper.html

Interesting

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1181277027787108356

Save    

Whew

Save    
Cookie8

Ugh. I am getting a headache watching this. The moderators are horrible!!

(was referring to the live debates...not thread. to be clear)

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Cookie's comment prompted me to find the Canadian debate online. It was feisty! Taxes, taxes, taxes. I only saw about 15-20 minutes of it, but that was very interesting.

Save    
Cookie8

Ann, there was so much talk over I walk away not even knowing what they stand for.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

^^^^^ We will take the compliment LOL. I prefer a less feisty and more substance debate. I would have appreciated a moderator such as UK speaker of the house John Berkow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-djMYYIvyE

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Cookie, I agree the moderators are horrible.

ubro, I still don’t see Scheer as a Trump-lite. That is what the Liberals have dubbed him. It’s all part of the game. It’s like those who use the word ‘socialism’ to get everyone’s panties in a bunch. I’m glad the Conservatives pulled the altered image. I think the failed attempt to deceive will overshadow any false message that gets out.

I just read this. Some are saying the Liberals are hypocrites for not removing Jaime Battiste.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5997075/liberal-trudeau-jaime-battiste-social-media/

edited for clarification

Save    
Ann

It will be interesting to see if May is right in her certainty that Scheer will never be PM (strongly voiced in the feisty debate). I wish I would have seen more, but I thought Scheer was doing better than Trudeau. Trudeau was quite defensive in the 20 or so minutes I saw.

Save    
roxsol

CTV has just described the debate as an unrewarding chorus of voices and noises. It was.

:(

Save    
roxsol

but I thought Scheer was doing better than Trudeau.

Scheer would be happy to hear that. Trudeau is an excellent speaker.

I don’t know if I agree that Scheer was doing better.

eta I like May’s comments about the Alberta energy sector and I like Singh’s sense of humour.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

I just need to clarify. In my opinion, There is a difference between abuse and fraud. I agree that fraud if it occurs, would be a very minimal occurrence in Canada. Abusing the system, however does occur. Perhaps, my judgement is clouded by the fact that I And so many of my family memebers and friends work directly in various aspects of the healthcare system. As far as the feds getting involved, as stated upthread this is unlikely.

Save    
Ann

Is there another upcoming debate where both Trudeau and Scheer will be participating?

Save    
roxsol

Lol, only in Canada!

Early start time for debate means that many people in the West will not be able to see it all

EDMONTON — The final English debate — which also happens to be the only English debate where Justin Trudeau is bothering to make an appearance — kicks off tonight at 7 p.m. Toronto time.

Lest we all forget, that’s 5 p.m. in Saskatoon and Edmonton and Yellowknife.

And 4 p.m. in Vancouver, Victoria and Whitehorse.

Which means in three provinces and two territories (and parts of Nunavut, which use, variously, eastern, central and mountain time) people won’t even be off work yet, let alone at home in front of their televisions, having walked the dog, made some dinner and grabbed a beer from the fridge.“

contd. .....

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/early-start-time-for-todays-debate-means-that-many-people-in-the-west-will-not-see-it-all

Good thing it wasn’t a hockey game.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

“But, as Canadians are required to pay taxes to go toward social programs, we have fewer of these programs, but some (and I certainly hope we don't keep adding more) that we are required to pay taxes to support. In both countries, most citizens don't likely have the kind of financial resources to forego receiving the services they've been taxed for. But, if citizens in either country were allowed to choose whether to pay the taxes or not and forego using the programs, I bet there would be quite a number of people who would go the independent route”

Anne totally disagree. When we relocated to the USA, salary was exactly the same and the $ was at par. We paid 700$ month less in taxes than we did in Canada. We were delighted. However, it didn’t take long for that 700.00 to be eaten up by medical co pays, deductibles, RX, and employee contributions to healthcare plan. This in addition to the high employer premiums paid by the very small company.

I am also grateful for other social services, including 1 yr parental leave. My DD definitely appreciated this time to bond with my grands. Her DH, and his extended and very conservative (they love trump) American family envied this luxury. Nothing like it down here, they said. I am also grateful that my son, who has severe cognitive delays and mental health issues is able to get receive about 1000 month, a group home in which to live and life skills supports. There is no way, DH and I, regardless of how much we save could afford this.

So yeah, the xtra 700 per month in canadian taxes are well worth it. And I haven’t even covered the benefits in total.

Happy thanksgiving to all, we are blessed and fortunate indeed. (:

2 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

Sheesh, political hockey, a tight nail biting game to the end. 34-33..for Pierre

Save    
Cookie8

I failed to do my tvo.org plug. Steve Paikin would never have let things get out of control. Just kidding, although I think is the best host out there. He has had heated guests on his show and it is always under control.

Anyway, TVO has some great coverage on its site. Non biased, clear and to the point. Particularly with The Agenda (more so with Steve Paikin than the part time host, Nam Kiwanuka, although she does do some political too).

Save    
chase_gw

Poorly moderated . Way too much overtalking etc. I don't think Scheer or Trudeau did particularity well. That is surprising for Trudeau, he generally does well in debates. Believe it or not I thought Singh did best, May did fine ...loved her jab about abortion.

Didn't change my vote, just made me feel even more confident that neither one of the two front runners deserves my vote.

Roxsol......no idea why they chose that time. Not good in the East either. Lots of people are out doing kid things , at the gym etc.......9 PM would have been the right time.

.......and not to worry , that would NEVER happen with a hockey game.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

ubro, I still don’t see Scheer as a Trump-lite.

This is not some liberal 'dog whistle' to promote fear mongering.

I read Scheer's proposed policy on removing funding for Universities that don't allow freedom of speech, sounds slightly fishy.

I also listened to his announcement on making graves ect. of past politicians National Heritage Sites. Who, is he targeting, those of the native population who are tired of the statues that idolize past suppressors of their ancestors.

Not to mention his refusal to answer if he would defund programs for a woman's right to choose.

Some of these policies look OK on paper, but for me they sound like the shades of what is to come, a govt. that is allowing the FRW agenda to sneak into the Conservative platform.

Save    
roxsol

ubro, I believe in free speech. I don’t believe in speech that incites hatred, though.

I wasn’t too happy with the Liberal government last year that required organizations applying for summer job grants to prove that their core mandate respects abortion rights. I am glad they backed down on that. Those who are anti-abortion are no less a Canadian citizen. For the record, I am pro-choice.

As far as National Heritage Sites go, not a priority but I think they are okay as long as the complete history is there, the good and the bad. Canada’s history is what it is....complicated.

I would like to see a leader moving forward with the treatment of the native population of Canada. Lord knows they deserve it.

I understand what you are seeing in Scheer, but he is far from being a Donald Trump.

I often see things in all the candidates that don’t sit well with me.

3 Likes Save    
Save    
ubro(2a)

I applaud Mr. Singh we have Mr. Delay and Mr. Deny

1 Like Save    
roxsol

I applaud Mr. Singh we have Mr. Delay and Mr. Deny

Me too, ubro. Almost enough to give him my vote!

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

Me too with Singh. I remember when I was "first introduced" to him and knew right away that I would vote NDP but then there were some questionable things that came up and I had to take a step back. He has been making a comeback for me but Ms May has always had my respect, so this time, my vote too.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

At the risk of being reactionary I came across this post recently, It is a sobering thought and one that should concern us all.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Andrew Scheer has said “My personal views are that every single Canadian has the same equality rights under the law. It is the law of the land. It’s been settled in Canada. Society has moved on. I’ve moved on.”

Many MPs, Liberal and Conservative, don’t have the best history when it comes to LGBTQ rights. There is still a lot of room for improvement but I think they are all moving in the right direction.

It was Conservative MP Michelle Temple who, last year, asked the federal government to increase the number of LGBTQ refugees it accepts every year.

She wants to make permanent the funding for a pilot project that helps LGBTQ refugees come to Canada.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Would love to cherry pick from the 4 parties (Lib, PC, NDP,Green) platforms and put May on top. But one can only dream!

Regardless, with polls showing an extremely tight race, looks like we will have a minority govt. Hopefully, both guys will figure out Canadians like honesty, truth and good character, hence pull themselves up by the bootstraps.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I deleted my post, I think I have argued Scheer's policies enough.

I stand by my Trump Lite comments.

Scheer's beliefs when you dig into the small print and look at the Conservative's campaign behaviour is very similar. He may not be as bad as Trump, but that is small comfort.

Save    
roxsol

Hopefully, both guys will figure out Canadians like honesty, truth and good character, hence pull themselves up by the bootstraps.

That ship has sailed for me with Trudeau.

Save    
roxsol

Ubro, if you mean that Scheer leans slightly to the right, you are correct. There is nothing wrong with that.

Slightly to the left is fine, too. As long as we are all hovering around the middle:)

Right now, I think our biggest issue is from where the money will come for all that has been promised by each party. The one common theme is spend, spend and then spend some more.

Save    
roxsol

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/business.financialpost.com/news/election-2019/terence-corcoran-the-case-is-clear-for-andrew-scheer/amp

^^^^This is a pretty good read from the Financial Post.

IMO, of course! Lol

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.politico.com/magazine/amp/story/2019/10/09/the-bland-conservative-dad-who-could-take-down-the-trudeau-dynasty-229667

^^^^^This one is from Politico, a fairly middle of the road site.

excerpt:

“Campaigning in a country that’s broadly alarmed by the politics of its neighbor to the south, Scheer has faced accusations that he might use his power as prime minister to pursue a socially conservative agenda, or to try pleasing the far-right fringes of a party prone to fracturing. But his campaign has tried to focus on Trudeau’s deficiencies and offer a nonthreatening, even banal alternative. Even Scheer’s opponents admit he is a pretty nice guy. He quotes “The Simpsons” to his staff; he watches football and uses sports metaphors, associates say. Publicly, he likes to talk about his love for popcorn and tries to come across as the kind of person you might run into at a grocery store.“

Save    
chase_gw

Holy heck, Singh is surging in the polls. Must admit I thought he did the best job in the debate but never thought it would matter much.

Every vote for Singh takes away from Trudeau so the NDP may just shift the left vote enough to give Scheer a minority, but a minority with slim chances at forming a coalition .........interesting times.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Yes, I've been enjoying watching the polls (CBC News). I see a Conservative minority government now has the best odds. It looks like one of the biggest reasons is because of Quebec and Bloc support potentially replacing important Liberal seats.

One thing of interest to me will be how accurate the polls turn out to be. Ours in 2016 were quite inaccurate.

Save    
Ann

"With the Bloc Québécois gaining in Quebec, the Liberals have lost their seat advantage over the Conservatives and are now neck-and-neck in both the national polls and the seat projection. A majority government looks unlikely. The New Democrats have seen their support levels increase since the English-language debate, while the Greens are holding their support."

"The Conservatives are ahead in western Canada while the Liberals are ahead in Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada. Both the Conservatives and Liberals have seen their support drop in Quebec as the Bloc rises. The New Democrats are on track to lose most or all of their seats in Quebec but can hold their seats and potentially make some gains in the rest of the country."

If you go to the "Region" block in the link and click on Quebec, the Bloc trajectory looks the most impressive to me.

I've provided a link and I'd refer to it as a source, but I'm not exactly sure "who is pumping them info" as you recently questioned with sources.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Save    
Save    
ubro(2a)

Ubro, if you mean that Scheer leans slightly to the right, you are correct. There is nothing wrong with that.

No, I mean he is shifted farther right than is comfortable, way farther than slightly. As for Trudeau's lies, Scheer is no better he just fudges the truth to make it more palatable.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

Interesting and more interesting,

Andrew Scheer dodges the question of the Trump operatives working on his campaign.
https://www.facebook.com/wearenorth99/videos/466033297324601/UzpfSTEwMDAwMjEzNDY1MDYxMDoyNDI2MjU3NjY0MTIyMDMy/

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Hubby and I are heading to vote tonight just as soon as he gets home.

We are on vacation the 21st and won’t be able to vote then.

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

There was supposed to be a Climate Change Policy Debate next week but it was cancelled because one of the parties couldn't find anyone to attend on their behalf. Guess which Party. The Conservatives.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6018804/conservatives-climate-change-debate-cancelled/?utm_source=ShawConnect&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

Save    
chase_gw

Hoot!!!

Save    
chase_gw

Voted today in the advance polls. Surprisingly long lines especially given it's Thanksgiving weekend. Good to see so many engaged.

1 Like Save    
Ann

It looks like my links about Quebec and the Bloc support prompted some deleting and then rewording of previous comments. Glad to be of help.

Save    
roxsol

I just finished voting.

My husband and I took our dog for a walk. We were the only lifeforms there, other than the seven people working at the polling station.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

HamiltonGardener, enjoy your train trip. I hope Elizabeth May has finished her campaigning by then!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5276271

“Turns out Via Rail wasn't wild about May using their trains to campaign. Via spokesperson Marie-Anna Murat said new Privy Council guidelines for Crown corporations say Via's trains and stations must not be used for partisan activities.

"The guidelines state that Via Rail must avoid any perception that government resources are used for partisan purposes," Murat said in an email to CBC.

Asked about Via's policy, May shrugged it off, saying that the rail service's management had never complained about her use of Via transport in the past.”

1 Like Save    
roxsol

ubro, Interesting post.

Be careful with that kind of Facebooking, though.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5208209

I’m really not trying to be smart. I just want you to be aware.

“North99's Facebook page has some 94,000 subscribers, but its reach on social media is considerably larger, according to social media analytics tool BuzzSumo. In the week of July 2–8, for example, the page generated 224,000 interactions on Facebook, more than half as many as conservative advocacy page Ontario Proud, even though that page has more than four times as many subscribers, at 431,000.

People who sign a petition from North99 may think they're advocating on an issue — such as backing abortion rights or universal health care — but some of these petitions never get delivered to anyone. Instead, they're used solely to gather information about the people who signed them, including their email address and postal code, ahead of the 2019 election — something that's not clearly communicated on the site.

For instance, issue pages say "10,000 signatures needed" or "sign the petition," but elsewhere use more ambiguous language, such as "Show your support ... by adding your name below."“

I don’t Facebook at all.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Yeah, our polling station was pretty dead too. But... voting done and we will see how it turns out in 10 days.

In in the meantime.... Happy Turkey Weekend everyone!!!!

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

ubro, Interesting post.

Be careful with that kind of Facebooking, though.

I am careful, I only have family on facebook and I do not sign anything, avoiding facebook is not necessary if you use it wisely. I go to the political pundits twitter accounts, as well as the media.

That post caught my eye simply because there is the false impression out there that the Conservatives play fair. Some of the manipulation of citizens with their fake posts about other parties as well as the concerning ideals buried in the Conservative platform are directly from the Trump playbook.

I am not afraid of Scheer I am afraid his supporters will start looking the other way and not speak out if he crosses a line.

Save    
Ann

"That post caught my eye simply because there is the false impression out there that the Conservatives play fair. "

Are you suggesting the Conservatives in Canada don't play fair?

Save    
roxsol

I sure hope not!

Statements like that are ridiculous and divisive. That’s not a good thing, ever.

I like Steven Harper’s comment upon defeat....

”The people are never wrong.”

To me, that is what’s fair. That’s how it works.

Also, to speculate what any supporter (Conservative, Liberal, Green, NDP) will do is unfair.

ubro, it’s one thing for you to see Scheer as a Trump- lite, I get it, but it’s quite another thing to think his supporters are blind followers and/or being manipulated. It’s condescending. Why would a Scheer supporter be any more manipulated than anyone else? We’re all Canadians with the same access to information and have the right to sort it out as we see fit. Believe me, if the Conservative government came even within 1/100th of the corruption of the Trump White House, I would speak out.

I trust that May, Singh and Trudeau supporters would also know when to say enough is enough with their leader.

edited

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Thank you. I’m getting as hungry as a bear thinking about it.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Ubro,

Roxsol is right. Conservative voters should not be painted as unthinking and immoral. That feels like fear mongering.

Especially since a number of those supporters voted for Trudeau last time and possibly Harper the time before that. They don’t slip in and out of morality that easily.

Besides, I have read the Conservative platform and I think they:

a) Truly want what is best for the country and its people.

b) Actually have some good ideas.

c) A number of their ideas are actually workable.

Just because I didn’t vote for them doesn’t mean I think they(or their supporters) are secretly out to get us. That’s not right.

2 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Tilly,

Thanks! We did our dinner last night. It was the only day we could get all the kids together!

Of course, now I have to face pulling the remnants of my garden this weekend.

Save    
chase_gw

Thanks, dinner here today. It's gong to be a full, and fun , house. Everything is pretty much done just have to stuff the bird, glaze the ham and cook the veggies.....even have the gravy made! Time to relax and give thanks for all our blessings.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Happy thanksgiving everyone. It’s kind of unreal or distant for me as I am currently in NYC. Helping DD pursue her dreams! But family up north is celebrating ):

on another note, anyone know why Trudeau was provided with bullet proof vest at his campaign rally last night. Moreover, Sophie, who was supposed to attend with him, did not? Awesome support from all party leaders too

“The federal Conservative and NDP leaders put partisan politics aside to show support for Justin Trudeau after a security threat forced the Liberal leader to wear a bulletproof vest and beef up protective measures during an election campaign stop in Mississauga, Ont., on Saturday.

"Very upsetting to hear that Justin Trudeau had to wear a bulletproof vest tonight at a campaign event," the Conservatives' Andrew Scheer tweeted Saturday night.

"Threats of violence against political leaders have absolutely no place in our democracy. Thank you to the RCMP for taking these threats seriously and keeping us safe."

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

Though the polls show a neck n neck race between Trudeau and Scheer, of interest to our southern friends, is that Trudeau, Singh and perhaps May are considered left. So only Scheer is somewhat right wing. Even then, conservatives hover more in the middle. After all, a component of Scheer’s platform is “The Conservatives say $1.5 billion would be saved by reviewing all business subsidies, grants and contributions. Large multinational tech companies would be hit with a three per cent tax on revenues if they rake in more than $1 billion in global revenue and $50 million in Canada. And Under the Conservative’s signature “universal tax cut,” Canadians making under $47,360 would see their tax rate drop gradually from 15 per cent to 13.75 per cent by 2023.

Even some similarities between the 2 parties as both conservatives and liberals would control spending on infrastructure. While they would spend the same $187 billion as the Liberals on infrastructure, it would be spread out over 15 years instead of 12.

Save    
roxsol

TTU, safe travels and good luck to your daughter.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Yup, it is mild and it is small, but it is there, I posted a couple upthread.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Ubro,

Roxsol is right. Conservative voters should not be painted as unthinking and immoral. That feels like fear mongering.

I never meant to imply that they were unthinking, I meant to say that I hope they hold him accountable if things go south.

FYI I voted for Harper the first time around, and Conservative provincially, so I am not a Conservative hater. They are slowly changing and IMO should be monitored.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Looks like Singh will do all he can to ensure scheer does not become PM, just announced, if needed, he will join with Trudeau. https://www.ctvnews.ca/ Guess, he is not too offended by Trudeau blackface. Things are perhaps getting more interesting in Canadian politics !

Save    
chase_gw

If the Liberals win a minority government they have a much better chance of forming a viable coalition than the Conservatives do. A Conservative minority will have a very difficult time delivering on their agenda......so I'm not fussed at all about a Conservative win as long as it is a minority.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I agree chase, any minority will be a bonus.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Just saw a report that advance polling is up over 25%. Clearly voters are engaged. Singh continues to make significant in roads as does the Bloc....all of which hurts Trudeau but still keeps the vote well to the left.

Not sure which way it will go but it is almost certain it will be a minority government......not a bad thing.

Save    
tryingtounderstand

Minority is good, just not NDP

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

No kidding !!!

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

The NDP won't have enough to be a minority govt. but they do have some good ideas and I like how Singh responds to conflict. IMO I would rather a govt. that looks to the NDP or Green then the PPC or Bloc.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Agree.

I have to say I really like Singh as a person but could never vote NDP . However I think he and May would make great coalition partners.

Save    
roxsol

I really like Singh’s personality, too. I find Elizabeth May to be a bit flighty.

I voted NDP, Rachel Notley, in our last provincial election.

Save    
roxsol

Sort of off topic...I see that Greta Thunberg is making her way to Alberta. Both the Mayors of Edmonton and Calgary have welcomed her and want to hear her speak.

The Premiers office says when she is in the province, they want to let her learn about the oil industry in Alberta.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

As much as I like Barack Obama, I don’t think he should have weighed in on our election:(

I do think that he and Trudeau were good friends both politically and on a personal level. That was always a plus for our two countries.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Data Watch Houzz Survey Results: Remodeling Likely to Trump Selling in 2014
Most homeowners say they’re staying put for now, and investing in features to help them live better and love their homes more
Full Story
Cottage Style Cottage Kitchen’s Refresh Is a ‘Remodel Lite’
By keeping what worked just fine and spending where it counted, a couple saves enough money to remodel a bathroom
Full Story
Life Overnight Guests Coming? How to Be a Great Host
Ensure a good time for all — including yourself — by following these steps for preparing for and hosting houseguests
Full Story