SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
webuser_355455106

floor debacle. should woods all match?

ayleen b
2 years ago
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>It’s been 4 months since we bought our home and I can’t figure out what I want to do with the flooring in our main living spaces. We currently have a slate foyer, with oak strip hardwood in the dining room and office than flank it (with framed openings - no doors), and then it leads into a carpeted formal living and family room just beyond that. From the front door to the rear French doors is about 50’, with the total sf of the rooms in question being about 1700sf. I definitely need to replace the carpet but I’m torn on what to do. New wood? Match the current woods? Wood look tile? Make the foyer a little different? (Ha. My husband is dying for a checkerboard foyer but that’s not in the cards for me. The best I can do that’s a compromise would be a wood/tile pattern like the photo below)

I’m not crazy about the existing wood’s color but I could refinish to “match” new? I definitely don’t want the “new” wood to be such a thin strip, so would it look too choppy to then have the other areas in a different width? We are thinking of doing a wood/tile pattern for the foyer and then wood the rest so these two rooms would have a clear separation from the other areas and wouldn’t necessarily be butting up to a completely solid (different) hardwood, but I’m still concerned too many different woods would just look silly.

Our house is a large traditional red brick home and We want to keep the house traditional, warm with an inviting but slightly more formal feel, if that makes sense.

Comments (17)