SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_rankin61

Old style doors and hardware--mixing styles throughout the house?

Kelly Rankin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are remodeling a house from the 1920s. The house is a fun mix of architecture--a little Tudor, a little Mediterranean, a little cottage, and even a little craftsman.

The doors in it are not original, but we are replacing them with period appropriate doors and hardware. The door style will be similar to this (photo came from this post about beautiful old doors https://thistlewoodfarms.com/when-your-doors-go-all-1908/ ) The hardware will be oil rubbed bronze, glass knobs.

I have two questions I'd love feedback on.

Question 1: I love the warm look of stained doors, but I also love the crisp look of white doors. I'm definitely planning white trim throughout the house, including the door frame. When I realized how many doors there are, including closet doors, bathroom doors, etc. I'm beginning to be afraid it will feel too choppy with lots of wood on the walls. Sooooo, I'm considering doing just wood doors as the entrance to rooms, and have closet doors, ensuite bathroom doors be the same style but white. Do you thing this would look weird, to have some rooms that have a stained door entrance, but white closet doors elsewhere?

Question 2: Do you think it would be weird to mix doorknobs. I LOVE glass door knobs. I'm definitely putting them throughout the house, but I have too many styles that I like (that are also period appropriate) to decide. I thought about doing a mix, and then I noticed a friend's similar aged home originally had a mix of various doorknobs and backplates. Does anyone have an older home that also has a mix? Even if not, would you find it weird to see a mix of hardware, or find it a little charming? Hardware color will stay consistent (oil rubbed bronze), just thinking about using a few different styles of knobs and backplates.

Here are some of the knobs I'm considering:

I can't wait to hear what you all think!

Kelly

Comments (6)