SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_morgan66

Am I being Hyper-Critical of this Tile Work...?

Jason Morgan
4 years ago

We are on week 8 of a complete demo/reno of our master bathroom due to severe water damage. We are at the tile stage and, right or wrong, I'm very unhappy with our tile person's attention to detail. He's licensed/bonded/insured and showed us some pictures of what is supposed to be his recent work (which looked great). We are paying him $10.00/linear foot for laying the tile. I think the cost for prepping the shower (pan, liner, backer board, etc.) was $600.00. At no point did he say he had reservations about laying the penny round tile. Am I just being hyper-critical? If I were a tile person, I would be embarrassed to show these photos to a prospective client.

Regarding the penny rounds, there are multiple seams, bad cuts and sloppy edges. The regular tile has inconsistent grout seams, some of the tiles do not line up but are either off vertically, horizontally or are even farther forward. The cubby face tile cut isn't straight and the corner is cracked.

I brought all of this to the attention of my tile guy and was met with excuses. He says he can make all the grout seams look the same by "sculpting" when he grouts... Maybe that's a thing, I'm not a tile guy. As for the penny rounds, he basically said it was impossible to avoid seams on the pan because it's sloped (which I'm pretty sure is a load of ****).

I'm not a tile guy but I am a web/graphic designer with a touch of OCD. I see stuff other people don't but I'm pretty sure anyone looking at this (especially if/when we sell this house) are going to notice.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Multiple images: https://imgur.com/a/XZsFRBv

Comments (34)