SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Crown princess Margareta vs teasing Georgia

Please help me choose ! I am so tempted by cpm, but I’m unsure on a few things . Will it rebloom a lot ? Will it self support ? Better fragrance ? I had and loved teasing Georgia..

Also , golden celebration seems to be available locally too but maybe a bit too bright for where I want it ..

sincerely: she who over analyzes everything

Comments (54)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Just to muddy the waters, take a look at Jayne Austin. : ))

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago

Teasing Georgia blooms more for me than Crown Princess. Both are healthy here. Crown Princess's blooms wow me more than Teasing Georgia's though. But I would rather have a plant with more blooms & more often, which is Teasing Georgia. However, I did plant Golden Celebration this spring and it is knocking my socks off. It has been blooming like crazy, fine in the humid heat. It has the largest blooms! And it is one vigorous grower. Mine is huge already. Which in your climate may be an issue. I'm not sure how much space you have. Diane raves about Golden Celebration in her garden too.

• Related Discussions

Teasing Georgia

Q

Comments (1)
    Beautiful picture. Mine is 6-7 feet tall and healthy for here. Nice to see some roses in January as mine are all covered with snow. :-)
    ...See More

Choice: Crown Princess Marg., Lady Emma Hamilton, Teasing Georgia

Q

Comments (13)
    Caldonbeck, those photos are beautiful. Love the petals on top of the boxwood hedge - so evocative. I have CPM and TG both. TG is an established huge shrub - it's magnificent. CPM is about 22 months old - it'll be 2 in April. It's beautiful too. Both bloom about the same for me. I think CPM is more fragrant of the two. Mine is in a terrible spot: half the year in the sun, half the year in the shade of a building - in bad soil. It's impervious to these things. I think TG would be too. I think they're both great roses. LEH is new, I just put the bare root bushes in about a 2 weeks ago. I saw it in my friend Hoovb's garden and "had to have it". It will be a much smaller plant than the other two. It is also much, much more fragrant. It's fragrance is so powerful that it affects your sense of taste as well, at the back of your mouth, as you sniff it. I can hardly wait 'til ours bloom!
    ...See More

Teasing Georgia

Q

Comments (4)
    cyberblue-- To post pics, get a free account at photobucket.com; upload your photos there (directions are easy to follow); then click on the "HTML TAG" underneath the pic and save it; last, paste it in the GW message box. You can type messages above and below the pic, and can view the pic when you click "preview." Kate
    ...See More

Crown Princess Margareta

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm sure it's probably grafted but I will check next time I go out. I try to plant my grafts underground so it will go own-root hoping the graft won't die from freezes. I purchased it from McCorkles two years ago. They are a grower here in Georgia. Not sure if they grew these or ordered them. Judy
    ...See More
  • dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Wow Lily this is too difficult :), specially with golden celebration added. I have always wanted to grown golden celebration but known it would probably be a mess here, but now you don’t have to worry about that. I mentioned my Teasing Georgia’s blooms are still just pale yellow probably due to being really young Teasing Georgia seem to self support much better here in my garden so far. Is golden celebration “too” golden for what you had in mind? Because that also sounds like it would be gorgeous behind your bench with ginormous golden blooms.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is so difficult!!! I was thinking golden celebration was too golden but it may actually be the right back drop for the rest of my roses and garden . This front bed is Renea , 3 different shades of purple clematis, posiden , purple crush , arctic blue , love song and violets pride . It would really brighten up that area that is very drab with the brown fence . I was really hoping that crown princess would be the answer as I love the hint of apricot but I can survive without , or place it somewhere else . I know I loved teasing Georgia but sometimes you want something different?

Jayne Austin’s is so pretty too . I don’t know what I will do !!

But I do thank you all for the ideas and info . :)

• Dave5bWY
    4 years ago

Golden Celebrations large spring blooms do have the wow factor. I removed mine this year because it was a diseased mess here but it may do just great for you. The blooms were rarely golden but apricot instead but I think it is just my environment. Trying something new is always fun as well. Teasing Georgia is a favorite and has been a perfect rose for me. CPM’s color is wonderful. She’s not as disease resistant as TG but still a keeper. I can only imagine how large she could possibly get in southern California, though!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

I have teasing Georgia and I love it self supporting beautiful yellow blooms, however golden celebration $16 available now I know which one I would pick

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

(inland SoCal) I have both TG and CPM. For me TG is more self supporting and gives a nice flush of roses. Im really happy with TG but its a monster and with the right amount of pruning it reblooms rather nicely. CPM (2nd year) has long octopus canes that lay on the soil. Not to many blooms yet, not self supporting, I have her in a all day sunny spot. I am considering moving her and giving her some support. In my hot dry summer conditions CPM has totally shut down.

TG

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Haku, your Teasing Georgia is fabulous!!! How are its blooms in our inland 90+ heat waves? My grafted Golden Celebration was a large 5 gallon plant and will be in the ground exactly 1 year Nov 1st. But it might do better in our heat with more water and less root competition. The Sycamore is huge with roots everywhere! Chunks of roots were cut out while making the holes. Over 90 and the blooms are crisped on all edges. Over 100 and they are ruined. GC has a fabulous fragrance! Really strong to my nose especially when cut and brought inside. Here is what it looks like today against a 3 foot fence and planted a foot below since ground is sloped. I am guessing it will be comfortable kept to 5-6 feet tall. Most my roses are between flushes right now but just setting new buds. I am loving the cool misty weather we are having this morning!!! Finally feeling like fall is coming.

4 years ago

Lilyfinch, love the pink birdhouse!

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

Stephanie - I have 2 GC I really like this rose as well. I did water like crazy during the summer to preserve the beautiful blooms. Right now my roses are being attacked by chili thrips :( I started spraying at the beginning of summer and as life got busy the spraying didnt happen. I fear my fall flush will be all damaged roses. Below is my GC in early spring.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh wow !!! Haku , holy cannoli!!! Yours is so beautiful. Sounds like cpm is not for my garden in this space unfortunately but I’m so glad I asked before making a mistake .

Thank you Stephanie for the temp and bloom conditions report too . so now I have to choose between the two , golden celebration which sounds much more fragrant than TG . I am going to cal the nursery and see if they have golden. Left so I can smell it , lol

thanks !! I love my birdhouses , from a maker in Tennessee. I only have 3 left though after the move , probably plenty here lol .

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch - FYI in SoCal GC will have the octopus canes during summer, I just cut them back and GC responds well and puts out new shoots for blooming. GC is really a good rose and very fragrant. Lady of Shallot is also another good rose that is very fragrant and a bloom machine with deadheading, and responds well to being cut back.

4 years ago

Yes I agree Lady of Shallot has very short rest between flushes. So lots of blooms. She wants to be big I think. I picked a bud yesterday and brought to work to put by my computer and I could smell the fragrance while typing.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Lily, I'm late to this game, so I'll try to keep my comments short. Golden Celebration is a wonderful rose in my garden--constant bloom, soft golden yellow blooms, and vigorous growth. As you know, it's dry here, so fungal disease problems are not an issue. I'm betting your dry Cal location will prove low in disease pressure. Here are a few pics, and sorry for the repeat of photos. One of them is my favorite, and I just keep posting it--ha. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

My photos are disappearing, so I'll try once more. blasted Houzz. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Did it again. I wonder if I'll ever try to post photos again on this looney site. Diane

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, could you perhaps put a smaller rose, in yellow with the touch of apricot you love, at its feet? :-)

(Diane, it did to me, too! Grrr!!)

Original Author
    4 years ago

Darn it Diane I’ll have to look for your old posts of it !! Houzz why are you so user unfriendly !!!

I think since golden celebration has the fragrance and tg really did not , I’ll have to try that one !! Plus I do think I could brighten up the corner a bit that way . posiden will be going nearby and I think they will play well together!!! Color wise at least :) size wise I may lose my neighbors in the process lol

perma , that’s a great idea but I only have space right there . I did get “Elizabeth Stuart “ for another area. Have you seen it ? Gorgeous gorgeous apricot !! I just really favor apricots !!!

Stephanie I loved lady of shallot in Tennessee. I wish I had room for all the roses I loved !! Maybe if it wants to be a pot pet it could come here too :)

4 years ago

I think we need a pic of the RV driveway. Sounds like we could do something with that!!! :D

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Lily, I'll try it one more time. Thanks for the tip on Elizabeth Stuart. I wonder which Liz she was. Not Elizabeth Tudor. Diane

Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor I’ll clean it up a bit but it has tree remnants on it . We have a large can for yard waste but it’s goomg to to take weeks to remove it all !!

Diane , a reverence for roses has it !

:)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

Lily FYI lady of shallot does well in a pot :) lol

4 years ago

Lilyfinch, if you ask you might be able to get a second yardwaste can for free. Lots of people in our neighborhood have two. Of course you then have to dedicate space for the extra can. I space out my yard work so my can is filled almost every week.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Can you guys bundle your waste and leave it next to the cans? We do that here so long as it's within certain size parameters and tied with twine. I've had a 100'+ feet of double-stack trimmings for weeks on end when I was cleaning up the 'back 40'. It's amazing, although the yard wast folks probably dreaded coming to my house. Every other week the quest was whether they'd take it all. So far they have. I bought my twine from an old-timey hardware store that carries a huge ball. They laughed and said it was a life-time supply and I could leave it in my will!!! I've have the last laugh there as I'm on my third roll! :)))

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    4 years ago

LOS did better than many in my garden. The spring blooms were to die for, we are on a golf course and had people drive up to see it and comment on it. Through summer, she kept blooming, less petals and less color, but I felt she had a blooms all the time. Maybe 10% blackspot? A star in my garden.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Stephanie !! I looked online and I can In fact request a second ! That will be helpful for sure .

Vapor our cans are picked up by a long arm that grabs them and they say no extra trash or things outside of the cans. I am new to it but haven’t seen anyone break that rule yet here! I miss my old trash collection that took everything and anything. It was an old man and young son with a pick up truck that had plywood sides to make it higher and they were so sweet and southern lol . Totally different here!!!

Diane , fantastic pics and I’ll be grabbing golden celebration for sure !!! Thanks for going the extra mile to post them!!

Oh Stephanie! Will you be going to Otto and sons for their sale ? i think it starts Wednesday.. are you close enough? I am asking husband to take us as he has work in La this week and we can tag along and make a day of it while he works lol

Original Author
    4 years ago

Rekha : I loved lady of shallot so much . The color was like sherbet!! It was a beautiful shape too once I stopped fighting the need for it to spread out !

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Oh, ho, vapor. That is amazing and hilarious. But I have to admire you for your huge work ethic. I'd love to see your place after all the work you've done. How do you find time to comment here even? I sometimes think the garbage guys dread our place, too. Partly because of yard waste, and mostly because of my son in law's addiction to on line purchases and all those flattened boxes crammed into the recycle bin. Diane

4 years ago

I wasn’t planning on it since my yard is crammed full of plants, but I am curious where the Otto and Sons retail store is located. I thought they were a wholesaler.

Original Author
    4 years ago

They have public hours Wednesday through sat !

Also on their website is live availability of what they have ! It’s amazing how many they grow .

https://www.ottoandsons-nursery.com/

I decided I am going even if I have no room and little extra spending money. So many places I never visited that I wanted too in all the places I have lived! This will not be one of them I miss ! :)

4 years ago

Hmmmm 50 min drive from my house and I just realized that my Darcey Bussell and Golden Celebration came from them via the landscapers. They are super healthy roses! They must specifically carry plants that do well here.

• jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal
    4 years ago

I’ve visited Otto & Sons, it’s a large nursery and they not only sell roses but fruit trees. They also have a David Austin test garden. The folks are super nice also. I really enjoyed my visit!

• Grace Carroll Zone 10a
    4 years ago

I was about to post this same question re cpm vs tg but so happy to find you already asked it Lilyfinch! Jeez I just love reading through these threads and getting everyones 2 cents and pics.....golds & sherberts are my favorite and I also just planted GC (3!!!) but was thinking I should maybe add TG to the fence..... we'll see :)

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

I also bought TG after reading this thread.

likyfinch, do you have any pictures of yours from TN?

Original Author
    4 years ago

Here ya are jc ! I have a lot of pics to go through and i was terrible at labeling my pictures. I ended up not ordering either rose since I had so many coming but now I’m a little sorry I don’t have TG to look forward to . I’ll add it it my garden in heaven list :)

Look at all these buds! Why don’t I have better pics

Original Author
    4 years ago

• Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

Lily - this is a great thread! I have 2 Golden Celebration's and it is one of my favorites, I don't know why you don't hear more about it. Teasing Georgia and CPM I have always admired, but they both would be too large for my garden. I need to keep around 3-4'.

Diane - I have to ask what the beautiful violet purple rose on the right in the photo of Golden Celebration is? I'm going to guess I asked before and you told me Wild Blue Yonder?

Sorry, folks I have been trying to 'like' comments and it's hit or miss today with Houzz.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Nola , I wonder if in your zone that would be possible! I was zone 7 and my shrub was 6 ft tall after 4 years and I Never pruned it . I say give it a try 😂

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

I agree with Lilyfinch, Nola. In your zone, I don't think any of those roses will get too big. The purple rose you asked about is, indeed, Wild Blue Yonder. I recommend Twilight Zone over WBY, though it might be a bit cold tender for your zone. Just curious-- how big is your Golden Celebration in zone 5? Diane

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch your TG was spectacular =) ( or is spectacular, I hope they are taking good care of her). I have one from last year and I barely got like 3 ugly blooms. I am hopping it shines this year, tho I know some of these take longer to bloom well. I remembered you also grew Bathsheba, do you think it could be grown without a trellis. I have an area that is sort of a slope where I was planning on growing TG as a big bush spilling over and I was wondering if I could add a Bathsheba.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked dianela7analabama
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

Thank you, lilyfinch! Your pictures actually show that the form is the best case scenario for me. I was hoping I could get it to be shaped just like that!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    4 years ago

I grew both Teasing Georgia and Crown Princess Margareta in Eastern Ontario, 4B. Both had a lot of winter die back and needed protection. CPM struggled and only bloomed infrequently, though she was also in a poorer site, less sun. Teasing Georgia was by far the better of the two. She would grow back from less than a foot high in late March to as much as seven feet by end of July. Her canes were also quite flexible and twined easily on a decorative obelisk where she bloomed a lot, repeatedly and often. She was also very healthy in a humid climate.

I am growing CPM here in my new garden in zone 7a, Okanagan Valley. In fact it is the same plant I had in Ontario which I brought with me. I very much like her flowers form and colour. She is very vigorous and healthy here, but still only blooms in 3 or 4 flushes a season with some scattered flowers in between. Though this may be partly because she has only had two seasons in the ground here after the shock of a transcontinental move. We shall see this summer.

I definitely feel that TG is Austin's best yellow climber and will be getting another plant this year to grow her again in a more clement climate. I would suggest growing grafted plants of either of these in your colder climate if you can find them. Bury the bud graft 4 inches at least.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers, Rick

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

And I've been thinking my CPM was a sparse bloomer due to our heat :/

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Darren Harwood
    4 years ago

I planted CPM - will be new to me this summer .... so excited!!! Ahhhh :) xxxx

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dianela I think Bathsheba should be fine! I don’t recall having to tie up canes but it was kinda new . I know marlorena Had a very helpful thread on Bathsheba.. I’ll look for it for you !!

Rick I agree it is an amazing rose and now I can tell I’ll be looking to add it . Too pretty to not try again ! What’s one more rose !

Sultry what a bummer and maybe you can pair it with a passion vine or something?

Oh Darren cannot wait to see your garden !!!

• Darren Harwood
    4 years ago

Cannot wait to see yours Jen 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Darren Harwood
  • Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

Lily & Diane - I got Golden Celebration from DA roses grafted on Dr. Huey 2017 and it showed RMV by the end of the summer so DA replaced it with an own root one spring of 2018. I haven't dug out the RMV one and it was 28" after 3 summers, and the own root one that had been in 2 summers last year was 4' by September 1, 2019. It got some funky leaf growth in the fall as shown below. I posted it on Houzz and people suggested may be shorter cooler days, see how it does in the spring, or one person thought possibly RRD. I really like it though! Strawchicago said on HMF that hers is 5'.

Diane, I also have 2 Twilight Zone bushes put in in 2015 & 2017 and they are 16" and 29", but for some reason they have pretty blooms but struggle in the bush department. Have you had that experience? I'm sure not as all of your roses look big, healthy and beautiful!

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Thank you Lily. I can’t wait to see your new garden. I bet your neighbors will be stopping by all the time to look at your beautiful roses.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio