SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudgeder

Dryer vent cleaning

pudgeder
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Last week, there was the smell of something dead coming from behind the washer/dryer. Hubs looked thoroughly behind the machines and couldn't find the culprit, so he determined it must be coming from the dryer vent.

Our dryer vents through the roof. He thought maybe a bird flew in there and got stuck. After hubs climbed up there (which is another story in itself) he decided he was not the man for the job to explore the situation further. I informed him I'd call a company to come out and clean the vents.

We've lived here for 13+ years, and the people before us about 5. So the house is about 20 years old.

The cleaner came today. OMG. The build up in the vents in some areas was 2"!! It's a wonder it hadn't caught fire.

We have always cleaned the vent hose that attaches to the outside vent, and as far back as we can get. But obviously, that is NOT enough.

I strongly urge you if you haven't had this done -- DO IT.

It's worth the peace of mind alone!

Oh and we never did find what was causing the dead smell. It's dissipated now, I suppose we may find the culprit when & if we ever move the washer. **shudder**

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!