SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_blandino

Need Counter Top Ideas for our Colonial PINE Kitchen (pics Inside)

CAB
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello All - just recently discovered this site and LOVE it. As a "car guy" I am used to posting on "car forums", but this will be one of my first "House" (or Houzz) posts! Anyway, my wife and I are looking to replace the counter tops in our home. Our house is a little unusual in that we are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, it was built in 1993 (we have lived here for 11 years), BUT is a Colonial Williamsburg style home (both exterior and interior - with a few exceptions, most notably our master bathroom and our kitchen counters).

As you can see from the pics below, we have reclaimed pine floors and pine cabinets. We also have a dramatic wallpaper. You will also see we have...KELLY GREEN LAMINATE COUNTERS! Honestly, it actually doesn't look horrible (or maybe we have just gotten used to it!), but it is time to move on as they were never our favorite and they have gotten a bit scarred up over the years.

Anyway, my wife and I are all over the board with regard to counters. We think we want a stone, and are leaning toward soapstone (yes, I've read the 3.2 million posts about them on here) or a leathered granite or quartzite....we aren't sure the "polished" look fits the space (says the guy who has lived with green laminate for a decade). We really don't know if we should go light or dark with the stone. I think a "black" of some kind might be the "easy" choice, but maybe a "cream" would lighten it up a bit.

Would LOVE to hear your feedback!

Pics (Note: a few are of the adjoining eating area and our "keeping room" so you get a feel for the overall space - note the resolution is much better if you click the images):

Comments (109)