What's for Dinner #373

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I did it. I made marmalade. Kumquat. Pretty.

Now how to add it to a dinner dish....

SaveComment54Like1
Comments (54)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

3 Likes Save    

I'll think of something for the kumquats. I used the raw sugar packets I have for company...with the weird ones like stivea, etc.

We have been on the road. Traveling. Before we left I made mustards and Korean chili oil then combined the two pans that did not fit for two other mustards.

Save    

One the road trip we stopped at Masstown NS Canada for a rare treat of haddock fish-n-chips. Should have shared a portion. A bit salty.

1 Like Save    

But now we are here. Newfoundland. The blue dot. Twenty minutes to set up our home....like we were just here.

Red pins are work/home NYC.

1 Like Save    

Tom soup. Corn cakes/veg bowl...had to harvest green tomatoes last minute but worth it. Some ripening, some in our frittata this morning. Most went to a neighbor.

1 Like Save    

whoops, we have two threads started for 373.

Tomato/veg frittata.

1 Like Save    

Warm beans/greens/corn salad. Prosciutto bacon. Pea and radish shoots.

1 Like Save    

Making salt as we always do. 5 gallons makes about 2 full cups. (maybe 3) We have a cast iron stovetop smoker so I may smoke a few cups.

1 Like Save    

I started 15 small salad trays before we left. They germinated stacked in our book crate while traveling. Now have lots of greens.

(this pic was Sunday before we had internet. Started a few more trays last night)

2 Likes Save    

Amazing bread Ann.

We rushed our first boule but always good. Just butter, salt/pepper for me. DH made a tomato&feta sandwich.

Will bake second one tonight...(in the fridge)

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Wow, Sleeve, you've been busy!!!

You must be loving your annual trip to Nfld. Gorgeous country!!!

Fabulous breads and pizza Ann. I remember when you bought your pizza oven, and now looking at your pizza, yep, I'd be using that puppy all the time!

Save    
Jasdip

Ann, I'm pretty sure that a runny egg in a loaf of bread wouldn't do anything for me, either. I also don't like cheesy breads.

We love(d) popovers, but I didn't have them with breakfast, they "were" breakfast. I love it with your scrambled eggs and bacon. I'm going to do that!

I made a skillet of sausage, potatoes, green peppers and onions with some kale thrown in.

Save    
neely

Wow Sleevendog so impressed you travel with your trays of salad greens. The view is beautiful and love all your cooking.

Annt fabulous breads and pizzas...those cheese breads are something I would like, though not the escargot one.

Love your stir fry Jasdip, and your bow tie pasta dish in the previous thread looked very appealing.

Finally, I am doing some proper cooking again. Below was a goulash with orzo and broccolini

Below was a seafood salad with spinach, rocket and homemade seafood sauce. There’s a name for it but I forget.

Finally below the easiest dessert ever made. Bought chocolate biscuits/ cookies dipped in a coffee liqueur and sandwiched together with cream. The biscuits go all soft and mousse like. Only need a small slice as it’s quite rich.

Save    
Jasdip

Your goulash with orzo really appeals to me Neely! You're really making use of orzo since you discovered it, LOL

I'm not a sweets person, but I'm sure that your dessert was delectable! :-)

1 Like Save    

I traveled with a couple bunches of baby kale. More tender and sweeter than usual. Tossing in everything. Some wilted, some fresh...lots of lemon. (one lemon left).

Curious about the seafood sauce. We do love a seafood salad.

Traveling with a stack of salad trays has been a huge success. Sown last Wednesday night, uncovered Saturday night. By Tuesday most trays were huge. Very sunny window. (6 days to the table and growing)

1 Like Save    
Compumom11

OT, Compumom11 is back in business! Resetting password and signing out of weird account seems to have worked. Now back to eating!

Save    

Sums up the week so far. Fish head seafood chowder. Leek top stock. Third meal of it and again with a kitchen party tomorrow night.

Lobster, scallop, cod. Scruncions.

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, you've been busy, even on vacation! Everything looks fresh and delicious, and those salad trays are growing like crazy. I did a fall planting of lettuces in the garden, but I don't think they are going to be big enough to eat before it frosts, they've grown about 2 inches in a month, LOL. The bok choi just got about 3 inches tall and then bolted, so much for fall planting, sheesh.

AnnT, I like my eggs soft and so that looks perfect to me, as do your popovers.

Compumom, welcome back!

Neely, that shrimp looks delicious, and the orzo with stew is a good idea, I never thought of that.

Jasdip, you're the only person I know besides me that has ever said they weren't wild about cheese bread. I'd like your skillet meal too!

Here I was out of town for two days for Election Training for Township Clerks, and I haven't really been cooking much anyway. I did make a Pane Bianco and a pan of lasagna for the Township Treasurer who had surgery on her wrist, and an extra to take to the Princess, who loves the stuff.

We just processed 34 chickens for the freezer, so we'll be eating some chicken. Elery's middle son came to help, half of them are destined for his freezer, so I had some "help" cleaning, in the form of Elery's 13 year old Granddaughter. I have a picture, but it includes chicken guts, so I probably won't post it on here, LOL. Her Dad says his kids need to know where food comes from, and not be ignorant about what really needs to be done before it makes it to the table, so I taught her the fine art of chicken cleaning. Ahem.

My 17 netted about 110 pounds of chicken, dressed. I canned a batch of chicken stock made with necks and backs and still have enough of those in the freezer to make two more batches of stock.

We've been eating a lot of vegetables, I made a "stew" with a bunch of vegetables that needed to be eaten, including zucchini, yellow squash, leeks, carrots, celery, turnips, a couple of heads of fresh garlic, some eggplant, tomatoes, a handful of lentils. Not pretty, but substantial, no pictures.

I did make chicken bratwurst with some green beans and a lentil "mush". It didn't taste bad, but the texture left something to be desired.

I think I was being tested over the weekend anyway. Elery is still doing the "modified Weight Watchers", his version. Lots of vegetables, few carbs and as little fat as possible. His son gave up WW and decided to go on the ketogenic diet, so he's eating 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs, allowing himself only 20 carbs per day. His kids are carboholics and will eat tacos and chicken but hate vegetables. I bought half a dozen cheese bagels at Panera and some cream cheese, made scotch eggs and bacon. Elery had his usual big plate of leftover vegetables from the night before, Chris had scotch eggs and bacon and the kids had bagels and cream cheese and lots of bacon. I had coffee and left them to sort it out, LOL. Supper was pork chile verde for the adults, tacos for the kids. Low carb tortillas for the guys, flour tortillas for the kids, lots and lots of cheese. I should have invited Amanda over, we could have thrown in the gluten free and lactose intolerant in there, LOL.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Annie, I loved it when you said you 'left them to sort it out.' Even to know what to buy was fantastic. That's more than I would have thought. I do not have the willpower to go carb-free. I'm also not sure what the long-term effects of keto would be, I think it's safe to say it's one of the most popular diets.

Your chicken sausage really looks good!!

How did Elery's grand-daughter make out with dressing the chickens?? I'd loved to have seen a pic with the look on her face.

I remember my niece (but she was only a little thing) helping with the pumpkin for Halloween. She puked in the pumpkin as they were cleaning it out! It was the whole texture thing, LOL

Are you completely out of meat when it's time to fill your freezers again? Were you out of chicken, to be able to put 17 more in? Your organizational skills must be astounding. I think I'd be buying a new freezer for the new meat, and eat out of the current one, and switch back and forth, lol.

You'll be proud of me, I've mentioned before that I have a lot of drumsticks in the freezer (I realized this when I defrosted it a couple of weeks ago.) I can't resist buying them at .99/lb. The other day they were .69!!! But I resisted. Damn.

Save    
annie1992

Well, Jasdip, here's the picture, but be warned, don't look if you're squeamish. That's my second warning. (grin)

And yes, it really was raining. We were inside the pole barn, but she thought the rain jacket would work as a "haz mat" suit and keep her somewhat free from any flying/seeping/errant "stuff". She used gloves, but she did it!

I did have freezer room, I cut mine into parts and just leave a couple whole for roasting, so I had 4 packages of breast meat and 2 packages of legs left, no thighs and the wings had already been used for stock when I ran out of that earlier this year.

Annie

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Love lycooking going on!!

Ann, what do you do with all that bread? Surely you can't eat it all do you freeze it? If so how do you wrap it?

Save    
chase_gw

Ann, I see mustard on one of those burgers.......must have been Moe' s ; )

BBQ ribs and home made fries for dinner tonight......prompted by one of Ann's post I made some TBQ sauce to go with.

Also did a batch of meatballs in homemade tomato sauce.......if I " test " one more there will be no room for the ribs! Must show some discipline!!!

Save    
Jasdip

Dinner was an easy slow-cooker meal, so I'm watching a popular Netflix show called "Unbelievable". It's a true story about a young girl lying about being raped. I find it 'meh' and I'm obviously in the minority from what I've been reading, but I've nothing else to do :-)

One of our favourite pork roasts is slow-cooked in molasses, soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic and cayenne and water. Fall-apart tender. The leftover juices will be mixed with barbecue sauce and another meal will be pulled-pork sandwiches.

Save    
Jasdip

I forgot to comment on the other posts!!!

Annie your step-grand-daughter is a trooper!!!!!

Ann, I freeze my breads too, but since mine is always sandwich bread, I slice and freeze in milk bags. Oh, you don't have milk in bags out west. I love, love our milk in bags. I wouldn't want to struggle with gallon jugs, and I have an endless supply of sturdy bags for the freezer.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Sleven, as for what to do with your marmalade, a friend sent me some liliki (sp) jam that she made in Hawaii and I mixed a couple of TBLSP with some low sodium soy and olive oil for a marinade for a pork tenderloin.....either grill or bake. It was YUMMMMMMM! (and I don't like sweet much!)

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Frost is forcast for our area (NY) in another couple of days. Temperature will drop 50F from 90F to 40F. I guess this will be my last BLT of the season.

dcarch

Naan bread BLT

Save    
annie1992

dcarch, my tomatoes have pretty much lost their flavor anyway, as happens this time of year. I put a slice of Hillbilly on my avocado toast this morning and it tasted like....nothing, the flavor just seems to go away.

Here it was 80 on Monday, now it's raining and 50, so only a 30 degree difference, and no frost projected for the next 10 days. Of course, they could change their minds tomorrow....

Save    
Jasdip

We hit 30C (86F) yesterday, Indian Summer! Rain for the next number of days, but normal, cooler temperatures.

Save    
neely

Delicious food there AnnT... lots of good food from everyone.

Thank goodness it’s salad time again.

Daylight top

Electric light bottom

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Neely, your salads look wonderful!

Ann, no one makes a beef roast look as good as yours. Wow.

Since it's Sunday, it's baking day. Bread and oatmeal cookies.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Egg Roll in a Bowl makes for a quick dinner. I shred cabbage, onions and carrots instead of buying the coleslaw mix, and I also add bean sprouts. The usual wine and fresh bread alongside.

Dinner while finishing the series Suits.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Stir-fries, breaded pork chop and rice was for dinner today. Surprisingly enough I made just enough stir-fries for one meal. That never happens!!! It looks like a huge skillet full but we all know they cook down somewhat :-)

Save    
annie1992

Well, I've tried for the past two hours to post a handful of pictures here and have no been successful. Ugh. I hate Houzz, they just make everything so difficult and time consuming. OK, so I have to do it one or two at a time. (sigh)

Jasdip, Elery likes "eggroll in a bowl", I need to make that for him soon. Your oatmeal cookies look really good too and your stir fry is so nice and fresh. And there's that onion, LOL.

AnnT, I haven't made cabbage rolls in a long time, thanks for reminding me. Your potatoes and garvy, thugh, that's what really calls out to me, yum. Oh, and the popovers. And the butter tarts. I'm just so happy you are "back"!

Neely, Elery is like Moe, he'd be ecstatic if I said "thank goodness it's salad season", That'll never happen, though, so he just continues with his current favorite, which is merely cut up iceberg lettuce with sliced mixed hot peppers from the garden. Whatever for dressing, doesn't matter, because everything tastes like a hot pepper, LOL. He'd love yours, I think.

Elery's youngest son came with his two girls, and I made a cream cheese pound cake to go with strawberries. Emaline wanted to "decorate" with whipped cream and strawberries, so what the heck, we let her go for it. She was happy:

Save    
annie1992

Here we have been eating, but not much worth taking a picture of. I did make cinnamon rolls for Mother, she and I both like them without frosting. She puts butter on them, or dunks them in coffee, and she was very happy, has been eating "a couple" every day since I took them to her.

Save    
annie1992

Elery and Dave are working hanging a new door on the pole barn, so we had swiss steak one day and pork loin the other this weekend, but I forgot to take pictures, I had the kids, including Madi. She helped The Princess make pudding "puddles" with cookie crumb beach sand and gummy fish. Um....it was interesting, LOL, and I don't know where in the world Ashley found that particular box, but they had fun and Bud was happy to sample for them!

Save    
annie1992

We did have dinner one night that I took a picture of, it was meatballs from the freezer with a side of roasted vegetables

Save    
annie1992

Another night we had roasted butternut squash and some quinoa "glop" that was supposed to taste like enchilada but actually kind of just tasted like bird seed:

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Tonight we had chicken korma. I had brown rice, Elery didn't. Brussels sprouts on the side.

And finally, I think I'm caught up. That's What's for Dinner.

Annie

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Gosh I’m so behind! Still remodeling… sigh. But I have been cooking here and there, tho I said I wouldn’t. First things first, however : ) Limiting myself to 2 out of each… which is nigh on impossible!

Sleevendog, I’d want your kumquat marmalade, any day of the week, every week. Nope, there is no way to add it to a dinner dish. None. Send it to me. All of it. Please. Next I’d love those corn fritters. Someday I’m twisting your arm for that recipe. They look fantastic, the cook on those is perfect.

AnnT, I think you post your Yorkshire pudding especially for me, right? Yes, you must. I drool over it every time. Not mentioning your rare top sirloin served with it because what it there to say about perfection? Next up, and the dish I re-visit most frequently to look at, your Khachapuri with escargot, garlic, butter and parsley. Perfect way to serve escargot.

Jasdip : ) I’ve been wanting a pork roast for some time now… with mashed potatoes and green beans. You’re killing me ever so nicely with yours! Your skillet dinner – love that you tossed in kale, and I wish I could find sausage like yours. Clearly your skillet dinner was a winner with all, as everyone mentioned it. Easy to see why!

Neely, obviously I’m going with the others… your chicken, strawberry, blueberry, green bean salad… I’d never have come up with that combo, but it’d be most welcome here and wouldn’t last but a moment. Your Goulash looks wonderfully rich – I love a rich sauce, and as it’s finally turned cold here, a perfect meal for tonight.

Annie, I can’t keep it to 2 if you post your kids! LOL! Pane Bianco, of course. I love the chicken-dressing photo! Emaline is such a cutie (and love her name!) – she looks like she’s about to eat something very sweet… oh wait, she is! Between the lentil “mush” and the quinoa "glop", you’ve kept me laughing! I can almost smell those cinnamon rolls… Yummy looking!

Dcarch, thank goodness DH doesn’t read GW. I count over 40 pieces of bacon, and DH would have eating his phone had he seen your Naan BLT! Well, I’d have eaten the actual BLT!

Shoutout to compumom – Houzz has been a booger lately, huh?!

Every weekend, before we 'commence to' working, (we get up around 5:00am now) I make a nice breakfast. I wanted a veggie omelet, but didn't want to wash more than one skillet...

I wondered if a square omelet would work...

And it does! LOL!

I don't buy veal. Read something years ago about it, and decided not to ever eat it, but since then I've read more, and it seems perhaps veal is not the evil it once was? Anyway, don't ask how, but I managed to pick up veal TWICE without realizing it. I need to start wearing my glasses. And as I don't let food go to waste, veal scallopini with burnt butter and capers sauce. Yes, burnt. Still it was quite good.

Made some rare roast for lunchmeat sammies - got a meat slicer, which I like fairly well. This turned out good, so decided...

Rare Roast sammies that night!

Not sure why I'm sharing this as it it ugly, but it was good. Pork chops with wild and white rice and mushrooms. Lots of paprika.

Made this potato salad, with herbs from our garden, and Sleeves mustard. Didn't know I'd taken some of your mustard, didja, Sleeve? Ha ha!

Homemade fettuccine noodles, for chicken alfredo. I was so hungry for this. I did not do a nice job of hiding the kalamata olives, but DH didn't say a word (he hates olives)

Ah, here's the bread I baked to go with all that lunchmeat. Used the slicer to slice it (now we don't have those lopsided sandwiches for lunch!). I ate 2 pieces while slicing it. DH ate 3 when he came home and found me slicing it. Eat greasy fast-food burgers most nights and homemade bread tastes like ambrosia!

Out of room!

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

I'm still falling back on roasted chicken in my CSO - never fails, easy.

Made gravy with the drippings.

Chili one night, with cornbread.

And I made nockerln's last weekend. Fluffy egg whites folded in with yolks which have vanilla and a bit of sugar.

...cooked like pancakes on a griddle.

Served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar

Ya know, I've been doing more cooking than I realized! So this is beef stroganoff. I did not make the noodles.

Ah, saving the worst for last... I wanted to sous vide ribs - didn't have four hours+ to mess with them. I follow Kenji, on Serious Eats, advice for sous vide, and he's always spot on for me. This time I also used his recipe for the rub. Shoulda stuck with my AnnT rub. Kenji had 1/4 cup salt for 2 large racks. I'm not afraid of salt at all, but these tasted like salt licks. There was no smoke flavor. All in all, a total fail for me. From this point forward, it's low, slow, and stacked with ribs, but I still love to sous vide : )

Caught up now : ) I'm mostly cooking very simply, as I'm usually too tired to do more.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Oh, I promised to post our garden with it was done! Duh... Sorry to be a post hog here.

Our veggie garden, completed. Even the roof over the enclosed area has chicken wire. Hummingbirds and butterflies have gotten in, and back out, but that's it. We also buried the chicken wire 6" down and 6" out. I say 'we', but we hired this done while DH and I worked on other things. I stacked rocks around it, because I'm a rock nut! I've got a little bench too : ) Not seen: 3 blueberry bushes and a fig to the left, gooseberries to the right, and areas for strawberries next spring.

DH gave me that garden sign a few year ago - bought some cheapo garden tools on amazon for decoration.

Yes, so why are we looking at a leather knot affixed to the latch? Because...

had I not made this leather handle, how the heck would I have gotten out after I walked inside and the door latched behind me???!!!!

Added a drip system but don't have it installed... just the main part...

And finally... 3 weeks later, I have babies! Carrots not shown here. The leek seeds did not come up. Can't find leek starts here, sadly.

All panels on the garden are screwed in, so they can be removed and repaired. The 1" x 12" surrounding the garden acts as a sort of raised bed, holding in the soil, but is also removable, as everything rots in our sub-tropical climate. That's why the stones are dry-stacked. The drip line is cleaned out in the winter to protect it from freezing. We've limited space, so hopefully, we'll be able to keep critters away from our veggies, finally!

2 Likes Save    
Anne

@annie1992...The was supposed to taste like enchilada, tasted like birdseed cracked me up! I love seeing all the pictures of your food and your family...I still don't know your exact family dynamic but I think it is a combined family with a bunch of grands. Love that they cook and bake with you. Our grand is too small for that now but it'll come and I hope our combined family can emulate yours....we are doing pretty well but the food is not quite as good (but close) and for sure our garden needs some help.

I am sure your "birdseed" was just fine....We name those sorts of "failures". In our family we have "the thanksgiving of which we don't speak" and "the crushed red pepper incident" ....

Save    
neely

So much good food being cooked and eaten by terrific families. Will just add that it was great seeing all your cooking again 2many and your garden. Laughed along with Anne’s ‘the thanksgiving of which we don’t speak’. We have a Christmas Day dinner like that but instead of not speaking it is often re lived with much laughing and teasing.

In an effort to cut down on carbs I made moussaka without the yummy covering sauce. Tasted pretty good.

Save    
annie1992

Anne, Elery and I married 11 years ago, we had both been married previously. He has 4 children and 8 grandchildren, I have 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. They all get along pretty well and all our children are grown, so they manage to actually like each other. I try to get all of them to cook with me, with varying degrees of success, LOL. Your grandbaby will be big enough to do some kitchen damage soon enough, and it's far more fun than cooking alone!

I like the idea of "naming" my failures, but I've had so many lately that I think we'd run out of names! The current procedure is for me to take a bite, sigh, and scrape the plate into the chicken scraps while Elery says "no, really, it's fine" and reaches for the bottle of hot sauce. Hot sauce covers a lot. (grin)

2many, you've been busy, both cooking and building. Everything looks really good, even those ribs. Too bad that I know they didn't taste as good as they look, and I love pork ribs. What a shame.

Tonight was leftovers, I had a Township meeting at 7 pm and unexpected visitors all day long. A neighbor dropped by in the morning, another one was here for 3 hours in the afternoon and then my brother came to use the pole barn to do some car repairs. By the time he left I had just enough time to warm up some leftover chicken korma and get to my meeting. I had popcorn when I came home.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Annie I love, love the cooking and family time that goes on at your house! Your Maddi reminds me of Maddie on the tv show Nashville. She looks just like her!

Ashley is so tall! But I guess she's not a young thing any more is she? :-)

2Many how wonderful that you could grab some time and post again!!! Your rare roast beef is killing me! Wow! I've never been able to cook a rare roast, my preference is medium-rare but even that comes out too well done more often than not.

4 loaves of bread?? Wow. You're trying to catch up to AnnT. Your loaves are perfection. I love your vegetable garden enclosure. Thank heavens you had the presence of mind to put a rope on the latch!!!!

Hey, how's this for a healthy meal?? I put the rest of the egg-roll-in-a-bowl with some leftover rice mixed in and served on a lettuce leaf! Actually, the picture is showing one, I ended up by eating 3!!! Drizzled with hoisin sauce, it was pretty darned good.

Save    
Compumom11

2Many- I'm intrigued with the nockerln's. Fluffy egg whites folded in with yolks which have vanilla and a bit of sugar.How many eggs? They look like something I'd enjoy for a Sunday breakfast!

Your garden house is adorable! Such a good idea! Where are you located? You mentioned subtropical, but then you spoke of winter. Inquiring mind...

Annie, the kids are growing so fast! Adorable as always!

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, that's not Ashley, that's Makayla, The Monkey Princess. Yeah, she's going to be 16 in a couple of weeks, ready for a driver's license. (sigh)

That egg roll mixture on a lettuce leaf actually doesn't look bad, I'd have drizzled mine with kecap manis! Of course, I'm not "allowed" to put rice in mine, it's got to be all vegetables.

Compumom, they are growing, way too fast. Time seems to go faster and faster. And I agree, the nockerlns kind of intrigue me too, with Amanda not being able to have gluten, that might be a really good pancake alternative.

Annie

Save    
neely

Love food served in a lettuce leaf Jasdip... looks great.

Totally influenced by Annie’s above photo of cinnamon rolls...same same but different.

Note to Jasdip... baked in cast iron pan, worked well

Save    
Jasdip

LOL Neely, I love cooking in cast iron, as you know. For a change, I actually posted the pic of my egg roll in a bowl, in my dish as opposed to the actual skillet. :-)

Here you go, just to be a pest

Sorry Annie, I can't keep up with the kids!!! You know, I think that's one of the few times I've seen the Monkey Princess' actual name! Well, she's tall too! LOL

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Some people need to stop making cinnamon rolls. Just sayin'. You'all are killin' me, you know?! Ha! DH has been asking for cinnamon rolls for a month now. Guess I'm going to have to catch up with you all! (for some reason - Houzz??- I had a sentence in the wrong place, but I've corrected it).

Thank you all for always welcoming me back so nicely, I might have been gone, but I read and drool daily : )

Annie, I've not pitched the ribs (2 racks! That hurts my purse!) - DH liked them. He would eat a salt lick I think. ETA: I can't figure out how to use them with all that salt.Wanted to add: I love that Bud is right in there with the girls! That's just sweet (don't tell him anyone used the word 'sweet'!)

Compumom (I will get used to the "11" eventually, ha!) - I stopped looking at a recipe for the nockerlns years ago - I use 2 eggs per person. Seperate the eggs into 2 small bowls. I use my hand-held electric beater on the whites first - nice and fluffy. Then move to the yolks, to which I add anywhere from 1 TBS to 1/4 cup sugar for 4 eggs (depends on your sweet tooth, and I have a sweet tooth so I use 1/4 cup!). Do 2 eggs for one person or you'll wish you'd made more : ) Add 1/2-1 tsp. vanilla. Beat the yolks, vanilla, and sugar until well combined and fold into the whites. Drop onto a very hot skillet which has a bit of oil (just as you would pancakes. Use a wide spatula to turn them. They will not look done in the middle, but that is the way they are supposed to be (and I can't taste uncooked eggs, I'd be gagging if I could). Dust with powdered sugar. 2nd time you make them you will do it blindfolded! Also, they will deflate soon after you plate them. Still taste good, though! Easier than pancakes.

I live in Eastern Tennessee... I know, but with our humidity, we are declared as SubTropical, and trust me, in the summer, it is miserable. We have below freezing in the winter, and due to all that subtropical moisture in the air, snow here is heavy - downing trees and power lines all the time. I'll take a dryer climate any day but I love the green mountains : )

Jasdip, I'm going to have to make your egg roll in a bowl. DH would love it, but I'd fight him for it!

When I first saw the fellow tying a string to the latch I couldn't understand - and he and DH were both laughing. They said instead of the Garden sign, they were putting up a 'Time Out' sign for DH. I finally 'got it'! He'd remove the string when he wanted me to go to time out! Ha! I made the leather pull as I didn't trust the string... or DH ; )

Well, Jas, you made 2 loaves of beautiful bread yourself!

New York Strip with Green Peppercorn sauce. You'll have to trust me that it was medium rare. I was so hungry the inside shot was blurry from rushing! Quinoa with beef stock, garlic, diced shitakes, and baby spinach. I know, that's a lot of sauce! I made too much and I hate to waste food.

AnnT - I cannot find your green peppercorn recipe anywhere, even on your blog - this wasn't it, and it's just not the same... would you link to it, or type it here, please, please, please? I was rather disappointed with this one, and so hungry for yours - for the longest time.

I've made ice cream every week since I got that darned ice cream maker! Vanilla one week (DH's favorite) and coffee the next - then I start over again, sometimes adding chocolate drizzles or caramel. Always the rich kind with egg yolk, cooked to a custard. I know, we are such gluttons! I told DH no ice cream this week, too much work to do, too tired, no time. It's in the freezer right now : ) Had to hide it in the back because every night he opens the freezer on the pretense of needing ice and looks for it. I enjoy surprising him!

Save    
annie1992

2many, Bud wasn't being sweet, he was just making sure that no one was eating anything without him. He was totally there for the dessert, trust me, he'd be loving all that ice cream at your place. As for the ribs, I couldn't throw them out either, I love ribs and I'd have to figure out some way to "save" them. At least your DH will eat them, so they aren't a complete wash.

Jasdip, Makayla is now 5'8". I'm 5 foot nuthin', as is Ashley and Amanda was the tall one at 5'6". She's catching up to her Dad pretty fast.

Neely, the cinnamon rolls look delicious. I love my cast iron, and my baking "stone" is an old Griswold cast iron griddle, works like a charm and I get nice crunchy crust that "sings" to me.

Dinner here was leftover chicken korma. I did Dave's books today and then had to go to Mother's. I'd baked a pumpkin pie for her yesterday, she was supposed to come out to the farm, but her allergies were bothering her and she didn't, so I had to deliver it. By that time it was nearly 6 pm and the poor dog thought she was starving, so Elery had a taco salad and I had leftover korma and the refrigerator let go of a few more containers, LOL.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

I was at my brother's for Thanksgiving yesterday and today was the promised chicken and dumplings. The downside of making them in a cast iron dutch oven, is that with the lid not being clear, I was boiling them instead of simmering. I didn't realize it until the liquid started boiling over.

But they were great! Dumplings on the left, mashed potatoes chicken and leftover corn casserole.

Save    
annie1992

Yum, Jasdip, they look pretty darned good, in spite of the boiling.

A couple of days ago I made a nicely rare rump roast, which we had with mashed rutabaga, some red cabbage cooked with apples and cranberries and roasted golden beets:

Tonight it became fajitas, and since it started so rare I was able to reheat it without cooking it to death. No tortillas, of course, but the onions and peppers were from the garden and they were my favorite part anyway!

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Your roast and subsequent fajitas look wonderful, Annie. In fact, you made my stomach growl!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Materials Quartz vs. Granite: The Battle of the Countertops
Read about the pros and cons — and see great examples — of these popular kitchen countertop materials
Full Story