SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Any way to store unplanted tender bulbs?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I bought a lot of glads for a project of selling mixed planters for my garden club this spring (which did not sell and I had to bring them all home). The plan was for me to plant the remainder in my garden. Sigh. That never happened.

Is there any way to store them for next year? I do not have refrigerator room, if that is an option. It’s the end of September now and though frost is not imminent, it will be before these could bloom if I planted them now.

I could pot them up in bone dry potting soil and store in the house or garage. I find that is the only way I can over winter a dahlia. (Only the potted ones. Let the dahlia get frosted and cut off foliage, bring the pot indoors, let the soil dry out, store on the cold concrete floor in the basement til spring.) The soil must keep it from drying out totally. If I try to store the tuber alone they either rot or dry out. My basement does not get cold enough.

But I have never tried glads that way, and these have not been growing all along to store energy for the following year.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!