SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robink14

Furnishing and decorating a mountain cabin

Robin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I recently bought a weekend mountain home and am overwhelmed trying to furnish it. The home was built in 2006 -- great house but the finishes are not our taste. We are not going to update any of it (yet) so trying to work with it.

The main living space has a bold, shiny, dark brown/grey tile that we dislike and are trying to cover with area rugs wherever possible. We bought a light grey sectional and rug for the living room. One more piece is going to be added to the sectional to make it longer on the side parallel to the staircase.Seeing it in the space now, I wish I'd bought darker since now it appears to contrast too much. Too bad - already purchased. I could possibly move the rug to a bedroom if it is too problematic.

The dining room rug is definitely going to be repurposed to another room - the turquoise (my favorite color) does not work with this tile. We will also get rid of the velvet chairs. Thinking a heavier leather chair instead, though we've been put off by the price of them.

What else can I do to make these rooms work? What color rug should I get for the dining room? Any colors that seem like they would work for accent pillows?

Comments (16)