SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betsyslu

Stained grout - not mold

Betsy
4 years ago

Hi Houzz Peeps:

I have an issue with the grout in my newly remodeled shower. The top photo is a close-up of discoloration in the grout, which has been there since the first time the shower was used (about 6 months ago). This is not mold, but discoloration within the grout. The bottom picture is from further away, just so you can have perspective. The close-up is taken of the area right below where the squeegee is hanging, although there are spots like this throughout the grout (including the niche), but only on the blue/gray hex, not the white wall tile.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix it: bleach, vinegar, baking soda, commercial cleaners, Magic Erasers, dish soap...nothing fades or affects it.

I'm in the process of contacting my contractor to get this repaired, but I'm hoping to get some ideas from you folks as well. What I don't want is for him to use a product that essentially paints/coats the grout with an epoxy, which is only a temporary fix since it will eventually fade/chip. I've asked him to let me know what the plan is, but he hasn't yet, and I'd like to get advice so I have options.

Please help.

Comments (2)