SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Question about Zebra Swallowtails

caterwallin
4 years ago

I've had paw paw trees here for at least 6 years, maybe even closer to ten. I'd have to look back through files to find out when I actually did plant them here. I started them all by seed and most of them have done really well and have had lots of nice foliage and also paw paws. The reason I planted them wasn't really to get paw paws but to hopefully attract Zebra Swallowtails. At this point, I'm losing hope of having them show up here, especially since, to the best of my knowledge, the closest ones are several counties away where they puddle along the river, almost at the MD border. We are located in the middle of PA, going north to south, so you can guess that it's probably close to 200 miles to these zebras. I'm hoping that they still hang out there because it's been probably ten years since I've heard this information from a reliable source. I'd almost have to find out if they do still hang out there and exactly where they are if they are there. This would be a trip for next year, and I don't really know when would be a good time to go see them.

Now, what I'm wondering is... do you think that there would be anything wrong with us "kidnapping" some? I'd LOVE to bring some up here, but if I know that it could hurt them in some way, then I wouldn't do it. I really would like to know what you all think that the drawbacks and benefits of doing this would be. I'd love to get a population started up here, but would it mess with their navigational systems somehow that it could cause them harm? I, of course, would not report these for our county, which still doesn't have them reported. Even if I'd bring some up and not report those, I don't know at what point I could report some because any future ones would most likely be as a result of me bringing their parents or grandparents (if you can call it that) up here in the first place, which wouldn't have been a natural way of them getting here. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I really want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing if I do decide that we will do a day-trip to see the zebras. Also, I'm concerned that we might drive all the way down to wherever it is they hang out and not see a single one of them. I'm not renting out a hotel room for a month and keep traveling there in hopes of seeing some. lol Any input would be greatly appreciated, whether you're for this idea or against it.

Comments (21)

Sponsored