SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meandmeggie

High Country Roses Sale!!!!

Hi all, thought I'd pass along HCR is having a Fall Sale!! Join me in adding to the collection :-)))

Comments (56)

• Nadya
    4 years ago

Looking at it right now and I notice most roses are 1-qt pot. Isn't this going to be a...very small rose? Possibly needing a couple of years to become a real bush?

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

Yes they come pretty small but always healthy. The roses I planted from them last fall are already quite large now..some with canes 3 or 4 feet long.

• Related Discussions

High Country Roses Fall Frenzy Sale

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Melissa Ah, true confession time! Normally I'd be sheepish about reporting these things but I lost a lot of roses over the Polar Vortex winter and I "only" ordered nine from HCG (so far, I still might be tempted): AC Navy Lady - I'd had my eye on this dark beauty for a while but didn't want to order from Hortico, so this was a great chance Fourth of July, Cl. - This one hasn't established well for me grafted so I want to try it own root, since stripes are a must. Ferdinand Pichard - same as above - hoping third time's the charm Zephirine Drouhin - also on my wish list for a while, and I still have fence space for climbers, particularly thornless ones Morden Blush - for my "East Side Survivors" bed Lilian Austin - because you can never have too many Austins in my climate Smoke Rings - russet color to die for Ruby Voodoo and Hula Hoop - colors sounded intriguing and I love to try new things to me. Besides for the latter, you can never have enough tributes to the late great Ralph Moore either. So your turn, Melissa - what did you buy? Cynthia This post was edited by Nippstress on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 16:09
    ...See More

High Country Roses' Fall Frenzy Sale

Q

Comments (1)
    thanks for the head up :) I love their roses!
    ...See More

High Country roses gift certificate sale

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Sam !! What a bargain . I’m going to get a small one for myself and try plum perfect again for sure . I accidentally killed one here giving it fertilizer in 100 degrees and it was a band ! Lol yikes . Should know better but guess not !
    ...See More

Which rose sales are worth the wait?

Q

Comments (14)
    I know you are talking about roses which are "on sale", but I have one favorite place where they only have roses "for sale" once a year - the Sacramento Historic Cemetery Rose Garden. I hope that the sales of roses will continue (they are in the Spring), even though the Garden has been taken over by the City of Sacramento, which has extraordinarily stupid ideas about how the roses should be grown. The roses in that garden are mostly antique unknown, or rare, roses which have been collected all over California, in old gold mining towns, etc., where they have survived for over a century with little or no care. Once a year many of the roses have been rooted for sale, and you can get treasures there which are not available anywhere else. By definition, these roses are perfect for the warm climate of California. I even love standing in the long line of excited people waiting for the sale to start - there are always enough roses for all. Now that I think about it, that sale may be over for good - does anyone know? Jackie
    ...See More
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 years ago

Yes, they do grow fast. I have a Purple Splash climber that is huge after ordering a year ago - my Earth Song is also large. Very high quality! Looking forward to my new arrivals soon.

Judith

• ac91z6
    4 years ago

Are these for fall shipping? If so I reaaaallllyyy should pass - I've already got a good-sized pot ghetto to get through the winter.

OTOH, if I'm going to get anything from them those roses would be in the pot ghetto for a while anyway...

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

You can choose your shipping times when you check out.

• Nadya
    4 years ago

So what do you guys do with small potted roses in the fall? Plant right away and let them build up some roots before winter hits, or over-winter in pots? I'm in zone 7 (Northern Va) and I am afraid I don't have anything that's unheated but not freezing like a garage or a basement. It's pretty much the choice between a warm house or whatever's outside. Should I just stick them into the ground no matter where, can always move next spring?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Tis a good sale but I think if I get some I will get them for spring pick-up. I'm local so don't have to do shipping. I wonder if you can buy the out of stock ones for spring?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Hmmm...it appears they have some in-stock that were out of stock earlier in the season. I am going to try to go over there this week and have a look.

Kimberly zone 10 so cal thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • Kimberly zone 10 so cal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mmmm12COzone5, if you find out, be sure to let us know! there are some sold out that i'd love to have!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Nadya, I would put them in 1-2 gallon pots and keep them outside until you figure out where you want them. That would be easier than moving them after they were planted. Tuck them up by the house.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

You can specify the ship date for Spring that's what I did last year and will do again.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, What are you getting?

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

This is a great time for us way down south, so I’m thrilled that he will ship them now, too.

Many of my healthiest roses have come from HCR. Even though they are in smaller quart-sized pots, they've always been very well-established.

I‘ll do exactly what Sheila describes if I’m not sure about where it will go. If in a colder zone can you put them in 1 or 2 gallon pot and sink it in ground to keep warm?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 years ago

I'm in Texas so have no idea about how people up North winterize roses, but have seen people put rose cones over their roses to protect them. Perhaps potting in large pots and burying those in the ground then putting some sort of insulated covers on them? Our biggest problem here is the heat.......

• Sam CO z5
    4 years ago

Mmm if you go, and find out if you can order the out of stock ones for spring, I’d love to know. I’m pretty much filled to capacity, but there’s a couple I would still be willing to squeeze in. Here’s a pic of the size of my life of the party rose that I planted in May. It’s gotten huge! Most haven’t grown quite that much, but hve still been quick to establish.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Sam,

That is a good size bush! I've had some grow alot and some not. I think it depends on how much water I give them. In the fall I put in Golden Wings and it is pretty big but not a favorite of mine.

In the early spring I put in Lady in Red and it is huge and a favorite. It is setting a number of buds for another round and I've spread it over two 72" trellises.

Check on your out of stock favorites. They might be in stock. A couple I had been researching were out and are now in. But I don't want to put any in this late. Last year my fall plantings survived but didn't seem to do as well as the ones I put in during early spring. They are just a bit smaller than the spring plants.

• Sam CO z5
    4 years ago

Mine that I planted last fall are smaller than the new ones from this spring too. That all have finally started growing well, but I won’t plant them again in fall I don’t think. Hoping theyll All survive The winter this time, since they’re all pretty well established now. I barely ever water mine, but I have terrible clay that stays really wet, so I have to be super careful not to drown my plants. (Still do with quite a few, just from rain and neighbors watering. Ugh. ). The roses have done great despite the clay though. That lady in red is huge! I’ll have to look at that one. It’d be nice to find some that are cane hardy here, but so far, I just expect them to die to the ground, or nearly. Luckily they come back quickly. Enjoy your visit to high county! I love going there.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

The Denver Rose Society has a pretty good rating of Lady in Red so I am hopeful it is cane hardy. My Amiga Mia was cane hardy last year and a fall planting. It has a ton of buds on the top for a fall flush but has been continuously blooming all summer. Very similar to Sally Holmes in that respect although the JB don't bother it so much.

Sally Holmes - too big to get good photo of full bush so I took this picture this morning. The cooler weather is bringing out the colors more. It is more plain white in the heat. It was half cane hardy last year. One half died to the ground and one half was hardy to the tip. Made for a very unbalanced looking bush this year.

The ones I planted in July this year have good growth but the August 22nd ones have very little to none. Aug. is when I planted my fall ones last year; Amiga Mia, Dainty Bess, Dick Koster and Golden Wings.

• Sam CO z5
    4 years ago

Those are both really pretty. I’ve looked at amiga Mia before, but decided against it since it’s listed as only slight rebloom. For such a large rose, I would like one to bloom frequently. That’s great to hear that yours has bloomed often. I’ll be interested to see how your lady I’m red overwinters. I don’t have Japanese beetles yet, but I’m sure they’ll be showing up soon. I’ll be so bummed when they do get here.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Take a look at the Helpmefind on Amiga Mia. Says flushes throughout the season which I think means repeat. But for me it is continuous. I love HCG but I think sometimes Matt doesn't keep the descriptions accurate.

He has Calico Gal listed as medium size blooms but every time I saw it in the green house they were huge so I took a risk and bought it. It just went in Aug 22, 2019 so I will have to see how it does next year. Just a tiny sprig of growth in the last month. I didn't think enough about how my fall vs spring plants did this year when I bought a batch of new roses in Aug. (Denver's Dream, Calicao Gal and Pinata).

Picture of Calico Gal in the green house. Very far from medium sized bloom.

4 years ago

Does the Denver Rose Society have literature one can access?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Sure does.

https://denverrosesociety.org/choosing-roses-for-your-garden/

This is the article that put me in dismay for my Forth of July.

http://www.denverrosesociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CG-0616-PG16-17-min.pdf

Here is their recommended list but it is a bit dated (2016).

http://denverrosesociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/RecommendedRosesupdatedDec2016.pdf

It was somewhere else that I saw Lady in Red did well in Denver. Maybe their end of year roses ranking or a newsletter.

I caution anyone against reading the Definitive Guide to Growing Roses in Colorado. I was so depressed after that I just wanted to give up. Luckily I planted my first ones in 2017 and read this in 2019. If I had read it first I would never have planted a rose. I'm sure it is completely accurate and correct but mine seem to be doing well with much less (almost no) work and not following the guidance at all.

4 years ago

Thanks, mmm12. I'm just thinking if I can ever get my ILs into roses. They actually grow a few that look gorgeous, but with such great sun and no BS, I always look at their fence and think, 'What a waste'. It really needs a few climbers!

P.S. I'm sending good thoughts to you 4thofJ!

P.P.S. I'm not getting any for myself (well, maybe a couple), but am helping a friend in their new garden. He already has La Marne, Don Juan, Darlow's Enigma and Carefree Beauty, but has an entire backyard of sunshine begging for roses. His last place was pure clay and he ignored my sage advice on prepping the entire bed so after 3 years his roses never grew much beyond their original size. They've tripled and gone crazy since transplanting to their new home in well-prepared soil. What a difference! Now he's excited to add more and I'm happy to help. Frankly, I don't think he needs much since he chose the above on his own when I placed a Chamblee order. Only Dark Desire, White Licorice (tiny from MichiganBulb) and Iceberg didn't survive the weather and deer predation.

• Austin
    4 years ago

In case you have not discovered this link....

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/#b

Dave's Garden ratings for online purchasing esp roses.

• joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

Happy dance! Mountain Music and Heritage (Austin) are on their way! My next door neighbor is getting Hera's Song, La Reine Victoria, and Morden Fireglow so it will be fun to compare notes with her.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Nice. I have had my eye on Morden Fireglow. Had not seen La Reine Victoria before and that looks like one I would like. Could not find Heritage on their web site. Does it go by another name?Jealous your getting a Buck rose (Mountain Music). The one I have does so great that I added another, Calico Gal, but only a month ago. I want to wait and see if it does as well as my Amiga Mia.

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

I just have to add more props to High Country Roses. I ordered a few roses from this sale to ship this week and at the last minute on Saturday decided i wanted to switch out a rose. I left them a message saying that I knew it was likely impossible so close to when they are shipping and it is okay if they can't but can they possibly make the switch and they called today to say yes they can and will. No vendor is perfect but I love the way HCR puts effort into customer service. I always try to order from them first and only go elsewhere when they don't have what I'm shopping for.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Pippacovalent, what are you getting?

• joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

mmmm on the HCR website it is listed under AUSblush which I put into helpmefind and it came up as the breeder code for Heritage. Maybe it is discontinued by Austin so HCR just uses the one name??? I don't know, but it sure looks pretty and my other Austin rose is a winner all round so I am excited to try more.

Pippa I second the awesome customer service comments about HCR. They are my first choice to buy from too!

4 years ago

It is a discontinued one, joey. ....and a beauty with an enticing fragrance. I saw this one recently at a regional garden and couldn't get enough of it.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Joey, Thanks! Wow! That one is gorgeous. I don't think I have seen it before. Now I will pay attention and look for it. I love looking up other's choices as it allows me to see more of what is there. When I go in person there is so much to see that it is overwhelming.

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

Mmmm12, I'm getting Queen Nefertiti, Crazy Love and Golden Showers. I need to look up if Golden Showers has any good alternative names as I don't really want its name on my plant marker lol.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Good ones Pippa

I can't wait to see your Qween nefertiti and I agree that Golden Showers is a terrible name

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

I am going to head over there today. If anyone wants a picture of a specific rose let me know and I will post it here.

Original Author
    4 years ago

mmmm12COzone5 the website says it's out of stock, but if they happen to have any morgengruss hanging around that you can snap a picture of that would be great!!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Kimberly,

It appears they are out of Morgengruss as I did not see it. You are right, sometimes they have some that have been ordered and not shipped.

I was looking for Tangerine Skies. They had about 9 plants, that were good size, but none in bloom. I think they must have been accidentally over looked in the inventory because they were out of stock before but then in stock now.

Some eye candy: To the left is Audrey Hepburn (in stock) and the right is Baroness Rothschild (not on the web site). Audrey was out of stock earlier in the season but is now in. Maybe Baroness will be a future offering. This picture is of the mother plants so the flowers were huge!

This is Frida Kahlo in the for sale band section. Really pretty. Maybe next year.

I know some people were ordering Hera's song. This is one of the bands for sale.

Morden Fireglow. Also the bands for sale. Alot of these were in bloom.

• Sam CO z5
    4 years ago

His roses are looking good! Love to see the photos. I got frida kahlo this spring. It’s looking pretty good. The flowers don’t have much striping right now though. Audrey Hepburn and baroness are beautiful! So did you get anything?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Perlie Mae keeps catching my eye.

Several times I've seen these William Shakespeare. But they aren't on the web site for sale. Every time I've been in they are in bloom. Maybe they will be offered next year.

I also like Golden Unicorn.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Sam,

I didn't get anything I just wanted to see Tangerine Skies but it wasn't in bloom. Do you have pictures of Frida in your yard? Sometimes the green house blooms are misleading because they have been in a sheltered environment. Whenever I go I take the time to wander around and look at the ones I've been considering and maybe add a few more to my list.

In the spring I'll probably put a few more in but not right now. I put three in during late Aug. and I'm concerned they won't have enough time to get established. Only Calico Gal has a tiny bit of new growth.

I did have fun talking to the workers. They all really love roses.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

This bicolor Distant Drums was interesting. But out of stock right now.

Margo Koster was happy as a clam. My Dick Koster is having a fall flush also.

Original Author
    4 years ago

mmmm12COzone5 thank you for those pictures! I ordered Pearlie Mae and can't wait to see her! I almost ordered Golden Unicorn, but decided against it, darn it! I also finally got my Margo Koster, they should arrive this Friday :-)))

• joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

Thank you for the pictures! That Audrey Hepburn is really lovely, I am so back and forth about getting her too after seeing an article recommending her for zone 4 Idaho, but most everywhere labels her a zone 6 so I have refrained. My order is supposed to arrive tomorrow, hoping it doesn't get delayed!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Joey, I have also considered Audrey Hepburn. I think I picked her up and put her down 3 or 4 times this spring. But I was concerned she wouldn't be cane hardy so eventually put her down.

Kimberly,

This is my 1 yr old Dick Koster today, as in 5 min. ago when I took the photo. The bush is still tiny but the one's at HCR were bigger. We increased the water to a number of our roses this year because they didn't have much growth. This is one of them that we may have been starving.

I was grumbling to myself that I needed to pick more big roses after seeing Audrey and the Baroness, and then while out to take the Dick Koster photo, I saw I did have an enormous bloom on my Pretty Lady Rose. It is the only bloom on the bush right now so that must account for it's size.

I'm really looking forward to my Parade Day explosion in a couple of days. The top is thick with buds.

My Playboy continues to delight. Hard to get a good photo because it is so sparkly that it tricks the camera. It is a really good continual bloomer for me. You probably can't see it but there are loads of buds in between all those flowers.

• Sam CO z5
    4 years ago

Mmmm, I don’t have any great photos of frida. Here’s a flower that’s a bit old. But you can see some of the striping. My phone can’t capture it real well. Some flowers have more than others. We shall see as it grows up. It’s still pretty.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Thank you for posting about their sale! My roses will be delivered tomorrow. I'd previously grownApril Moon, a Buck, and wanted it again. I'd also had Ralph Moore'sHula Hoop and loved it, so it's on its way, too. I want to breed it with Burling's "Empathy". Both have very good disease resistance. I never knew Saville introduced a floribunda, but Light of Day should have some interesting genes to play with, so it rounded out the three I felt I could add.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm jealous of everyone receiving their roses tomorrow! Mine don't arrive until Friday!

• joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

Mine arrived this morning and I just got them planted! Going to help my neighbor plant hers soon. They are all lovely and healthy!! A certificate on the outside of the box states that the nursery is Japanese beetle free which is lovely since I don't yet have those little pestilences.

Also had to order Oranges n Lemons and Jean Kenneally for spring to fill in a gap...and justify starting a new bed on the other side of the house...

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

roseseek, You must have gotten one of the last April Moon since it is out of stock. Looks very pretty!

• roseseek
    4 years ago

It's a nice rose and bred some interesting offspring for me. They arrived today in good shape. I'm delighted they are as mature as they are.