SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jouasa

Help! Hardwood flooring not aligning in open concept home.

J Y
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We have an open concept home. We had hardwood floors installed and requested floors to flow from dinning, family room, hallway, then to living room. From where he started, his first row didn’t look straight and he went from leaving no expansion to 3/4inch gap. It didn’t look right and we voiced our concern but he kept saying the room was not square so we took his word. We assumed he squared it out then lay floors and mathematically planned everything to flow. Well, after many rows later and chipped/cracked pieces of installed flooring on the side we believe is off, husband and I checked the room and it’s pretty square. Since he didn’t finish the family room yet, we laid/connected extra flooring to his rows to see how it would flow into the hallway and living area. He’s off by a few inches and the floor will not connect/align properly on the other side. I don’t think he really thought this through and just started laying down flooring. See pictures. We would like advice on how to best fix this without small ugly uneven cuts right in the middle of our floors.

Fyi, he started from the left wall of the patio door. From there the “expansion gaps” or attempts to square room became bigger as he went towards the right side of the fireplace. Hopefully I make sense. We are waiting to hear back from him. Husband no longer trust him so we may finish the job ourselves. Advice is appreciate!!

Comments (11)